Thread: Tariffs by the executive? Not in the US Constitution

Tariffs by the executive? Not in the US Constitution

I’m not hearing much discussion about the trump tariffs being unconstitutional,even by the left. But this is the power of congress and not found in article 2. Are there examples of past presidents doing such a thing as it specifically relates to tariffs or is trump the first?

Article I
    Section 8.

The Congress shall have power to lay and collect taxes, duties, imposts and excises, to pay the debts and provide for the common defense and general welfare of the United States; but all duties, imposts and excises shall be uniform throughout the United States;
    To borrow money on the credit of the United States;
    To regulate commerce with foreign nations, and among the several states, and with the Indian tribes;

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Congress delegated the power, nowhere in the Constitution are they empowered to delegate their powers but they have done so with many of their powers.
    They should either undo the delegation or amend the Constitution to delegate the power, until they do the President should use it to undo the damage that has been done to the country.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Congress only supposedly gave the president the power to use in national emergencies. Importing steel from Canada has a negative impact on our National Security I guess (that is the grounds he imposed the tariffs).

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Congress only supposedly gave the president the power to use in national emergencies. Importing steel from Canada has a negative impact on our National Security I guess (that is the grounds he imposed the tariffs).
    Congress couldn’t alter a tariff quickly enough during a national security problem? This is a strange time for congress to site national security.

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Congress delegated the power, nowhere in the Constitution are they empowered to delegate their powers but they have done so with many of their powers.
    They should either undo the delegation or amend the Constitution to delegate the power, until they do the President should use it to undo the damage that has been done to the country.
    has another president altered a tariff?

This is the same logic a neocon would use for saying the president should declare war. Either you believe the president should follow the Constitution all the time, or he can ignore it for the 'greater good'. When you endorse the latter view, you are just saying that you don't care if the government violates the Constitution as long as it's for your pet issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Quote Originally Posted by TommyJeff View Post
    has another president altered a tariff?
    W did for one and he and others used their "fast-track" trade authority to cram rotten trade deals down our throats that need to be rectified through the negotiations that DJTvsg's tariffs are designed to bring about.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by William Tell View Post
    This is the same logic a neocon would use for saying the president should declare war. Either you believe the president should follow the Constitution all the time, or he can ignore it for the 'greater good'. When you endorse the latter view, you are just saying that you don't care if the government violates the Constitution as long as it's for your pet issues.
    No, these tariffs are defensive not offensive, we can't become what we are fighting but we also can't keep fighting with one hand tied behind our backs while the enemy bites, kicks and hits below the belt.
    I would support Congress withdrawing the delegation of power but I will not fault Trump for using it to defend America until they do.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Embrace the MAGA, do not fight it, and you will find peace and be at one with all things.
    1. Don't lie.
    2. Don't cheat.
    3. Don't steal.
    4. Don't kill.
    5. Don't commit adultery.
    6. Don't covet what your neighbor has, especially his wife.
    7. Honor your father and mother.
    8. Remember the Sabbath and keep it Holy.
    9. Don’t use your Higher Power's name in vain, or anyone else's.
    10. Do unto others as you would have them do to you.

"For the love of money is the root of all evil..." -- I Timothy 6:10, KJV

I've noticed that using a power that shouldn't exist, sends a mixed message.

I've also noticed that power gained in government, isn't relinquished by those receive it, but rather passed around to whoever wants it bad enough.

Perhaps this hasn't been your experience.
    Fear of man will prove to be a snare, but whoever trusts in the LORD is kept safe. Proverbs 29:25
    "I think the propaganda machine is the biggest problem that we face today in trying to get the truth out to people."
    Ron Paul

Please watch, subscribe, like, & share, Ron Paul Liberty Report
    BITCHUTE IS A LIBERTY MINDED ALTERNATIVE TO GOOGLE SUBSIDIARY YOUTUBE

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Whew, good thing we've always been under some form of national emergency status for like the last 100 years then. Every President declares some national emergency every 6 months or so to keep it going.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book