Thread: Why does Nike think

Why does Nike think

Promoting division is good for selling shoes ?
    Do something Danke

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    why do you think Nike thinks?
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    why do you think Nike thinks?
    That is a fair point because it appears they do not .
    Do something Danke

Lightbulb

Shoes must be divided unless you have two left feet or vice versa. Otherwise you've got a division between the left shoe & the right.

You've got your left shoes, and you've also got your rights. It's just the way it is. Sox are much more unified, they're collectivist.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only show up to attack Trump when he is wrong
    Make America the Land of the Free & the Home of the Brave again

They aren't trying to sell shoes, they are a pawn that is being sacrificed in a larger game.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by RonZeplin View Post
    Shoes must be divided unless you have two left feet or vice versa. Otherwise you've got a division between the left shoe & the right.

You've got your left shoes, and you've also got your rights. It's just the way it is. Sox are much more unified, they're collectivist.
    "Nobody wins in a Dairy Challenge" ~ Kenny Rogers, RIP

"When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken, or cease to be honest." ~ anonymous

“The fate of all mankind I see
    Is in the hands of fools” ~ King Crimson

Why does Nike think promoting division is good for selling shoes ?
    Because they're paying attention??

Works for the media. Works for the political parties. It's working for Nike. https://nypost.com/2018/09/07/nike-s...kaepernick-ad/"]https://nypost.com/2018/09/07/nike-s...kaepernick-ad/

Controversy gets people energized and gets them to take some action. It can backfire, but my guess is that Nike took a calculated risk understanding which segment of the market buys their type of shoes.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ajagraw.../#7e477282987d
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

45 year old white people who burn their shoes and post they will never buy Nike again are not the demographic. In my opinion it's that 13 to 25 year old kid they are gearing this to.

People forget that the younger generation doesn't think about this flag stuff the way older people do.
    I don't think it will hut them at all.
    The wisdom of Swordy:

On bringing the troops home
    They are coming home, all the naysayers said they would never leave Syria and then they said they were going to stay in Iraq forever.

It won't take very long to get them home but it won't be overnight either but Iraq says they can't stay and they are coming home just like Trump said.

On fighting corruption:
    Trump had to donate the "right way" and hang out with the "right people" in order to do business in NYC and Hollyweird and in order to investigate and expose them.
    Fascism Defined

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Odd you did not ask similar question when Trump started to campaign. But it can work(just look at Trump) and it could backfire on them. It seems like they took a leap of faith and only time would tell if they are considered geniuses or spectacular idiots for making this move.

It's just a business decision, they think they'll make more money with this campaign.

If revenue tanks, I'd be curious how they'll pull CP's image, given the tag line of the campaign and all...

Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    Odd you did not ask similar question when Trump started to campaign. But it can work(just look at Trump) and it could backfire on them. It seems like they took a leap of faith and only time would tell if they are considered geniuses or spectacular idiots for making this move.
    I really never have meet trump before . I am though typically suspicious of east coast "republicans " like romney , trump , christie etc as I come from much more conservative roots .
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by Todd View Post
    45 year old white people who burn their shoes and post they will never buy Nike again are not the demographic. In my opinion it's that 13 to 25 year old kid they are gearing this to.

People forget that the younger generation doesn't think about this flag stuff the way older people do.
    That is true , but it is a different world .When I was 15 I bought my own shoes . Fifteen yr olds these days still have the 45 yr olds buying those shoes .
    Do something Danke

1. If you think kneeling during an anthem is disrespecting the flag/troops, you are an idiot.
    2. If you think a flag and volunteer troops serving war criminals are worthy of our deference and respect, you are an even bigger idiot

Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    1. If you think kneeling during an anthem is disrespecting the flag/troops, you are an idiot.
    2. If you think a flag and volunteer troops serving war criminals are worthy of our deference and respect, you are an even bigger idiot
    If you sell over priced shoes to americans , your customer base may be idiots . So , is it good business to anger the idiots or the idiots parents that buy them ?
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by sam1952 View Post
    Wow, at :51 Howard from Better Call Saul comes on the screen.. was he just an audience dude in that movie or was he one of the dog show people?

That is a great movie, btw, anybody who wants to watch a good comedy this is "Best in Show"
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

If you sell over priced shoes to americans , your customer base may be idiots . So , is it good business to anger the idiots or the idiots parents that buy them ?
    They did a calculation to determine whether or not it would be financially beneficially for them to sponsor Kaepernick, and it clearly resulted in a net positive, since they ran the ads. Only time will tell whether or not their estimations will be correct or not.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Wow, at :51 Howard from Better Call Saul comes on the screen.. was he just an audience dude in that movie or was he one of the dog show people?

That is a great movie, btw, anybody who wants to watch a good comedy this is "Best in Show"
    Yep, thta’s Michael McKean from Better Call Saul, he also was Lenny in the old Laverne and Shirley show and played the guitar player in the cult movie Spinal Tap.

AND if you want to laugh at a good comedy “Best In Show” is hilarious!

Edited to add he played the ghey partner of the guy with the little dog at the end of the clip. Funny as hell..
    Last edited by sam1952; 09-10-2018 at 01:22 PM.
    "Nobody wins in a Dairy Challenge" ~ Kenny Rogers, RIP

"When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken, or cease to be honest." ~ anonymous

“The fate of all mankind I see
    Is in the hands of fools” ~ King Crimson

Quote Originally Posted by Todd View Post

Trump voters probably don't buy too many Nikes.

Yep, thta’s Michael McKean from Better Call Saul, he also was Lenny in the old Laverne and Shirley show and played the guitar player in the cult movie Spinal Tap.

Edited to add he played the ghey partner of the guy with the little dog at the end of the clip. Funny as hell..
    Huh.

Last edited by dannno; 09-10-2018 at 02:23 PM.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Great stuff.

Spinal Tap, Best in Show, Mighty Wind, Waiting for Guffman, For Your Consideration -- all mockumentaries with similar ensemble of writing/directing/acting -- Christopher Guest, Eugene Levy, etc. Love them all.

To the OP -- what is it they say -- no such thing as bad press?
    Last edited by georgiaboy; 09-10-2018 at 04:58 PM.
    The bigger government gets, the smaller I wish it was.
    My new motto: More Love, Less Laws

It is disrespect when they say it is disrespect.

The flag and the ideals of the country it stands for and that the troops think they are defending are worthy of respect.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Well they certainly don't care if you burn their merchandise that you already paid for. If their campaign doesn't end up benefitting them, they'll suffer the consequences.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

It's like those fools last year that were burning their NFL licensed merchandise. They have probably gotten someone to give them a new one for Christmas now that all sins are forgiven. But now that $175 NFL Jersey costs them $225.
    The wisdom of Swordy:

On bringing the troops home
    They are coming home, all the naysayers said they would never leave Syria and then they said they were going to stay in Iraq forever.

It won't take very long to get them home but it won't be overnight either but Iraq says they can't stay and they are coming home just like Trump said.

On fighting corruption:
    Trump had to donate the "right way" and hang out with the "right people" in order to do business in NYC and Hollyweird and in order to investigate and expose them.
    Fascism Defined