Thread: Fundraising for delegate travel.

Fundraising for delegate travel.

Do we know of and if not what do you think about starting a fundraiser to help with delegate travel expenses? This seems to be an issue or at least this is what the Missouri ron paul people have told me. Can I do this legally? Would it have to be a super pac? Would you donate? Help me out people.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I think it's a great idea. Unfortunately I don't have much experience in fund raising other than the usual World's Finest Chocolate sales.
    I do think it's an important issue and I've also been thinking about it, being a delegate to my state and district convention. I would be happy to pay my own way since I'm not TOO far from my states convention, and even carpool people.

Anyway we do need to start planning about how we're going to do this.
    Jesse what state are you from?

EDIT:
    I don't believe it would be illegal, we could simply fund raise to get ourselves to certain conventions. What we do there, that's up to us.
    Last edited by Gus_M; 03-13-2012 at 05:35 PM.

If you mean delegate travel to the national convention, people are likely going to begin posting Chip-Ins. We have had these in the past to pay for travel expenses to events of all sorts, but particularly CPAC in years past.

You may post a Chip-In for your travel expenses, but lesser-known posters are going to be greeted with more scrutiny; you are asking for money and we don't "know" you.

Thanks for the response. I am in Missouri. I have a big day coming up Saturday chip ins interesting! I can afford my travel to local and state. I would deal with Tampa if and when it came. This was just a thought as I didn't want people to skip being a delegate due to financial status.

I would probably post a chip-in if I won my at-large bid for a RNC delegate slot. How do you post chip-ins?
    I'm an adventurer, writer and bitcoin market analyst.

Buy my book for $11.49 (reduced):

Twitter: https://twitter.com/LeviGrandt

Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/grandtstori...homepage_panel

BTC: 1NiSc21Yrv6CRANhg1DTb1EUBVax1ZtqvG

People are anticipating having to spend between $3000-$5000 to attend the RNC Convention as a Delegate.

Quote Originally Posted by ZanZibar View Post
    People are anticipating having to spend between $3000-$5000 to attend the RNC Convention as a Delegate.
    That big a number is ridiculous to post as a guideline. I would probably spend about $500, and that's being "lavish" and staying at a hotel. Some people are planning to offer their homes for delegates to crash/camp at. Some will be able to get considerably cheaper vacation packages.

You can create a Chip-In and post a thread with the link to it. Again, be forewarned that if people don't know you, or you have a bad reputation, you may have more trouble raising money. You should also actually be a delegate first

Quote Originally Posted by MelissaWV View Post
    That big a number is ridiculous to post as a guideline. I would probably spend about $500, and that's being "lavish" and staying at a hotel. Some people are planning to offer their homes for delegates to crash/camp at. Some will be able to get considerably cheaper vacation packages.
    I would tend to agree. Although I just last night spoke with some delegates to the RNC in '08 and they said $3k would probably be minimum.

You pretty much have to stay in the delegation hotels because there won't be any other options nearby. Transit to and from the area will take too long otherwise not to mention parking will be impossible. And the RNC will have buses and special tours going on for delegates including some meals. It's important that everyone be involved in that.

So:

- travel to TPA (very expensive)
    - lodging (very expensive)
    - food (probably very expensive too since you'll be mostly at the convention or delegation hotel)

Hotel will be close to $500/night if not more than that.

Again, getting out of this thing with less than a few grand will probably be pretty impossible if you're actually a delegate.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I would tend to agree. Although I just last night spoke with some delegates to the RNC in '08 and they said $3k would probably be minimum.

You pretty much have to stay in the delegation hotels because there won't be any other options nearby. Transit to and from the area will take too long otherwise not to mention parking will be impossible. And the RNC will have buses and special tours going on for delegates including some meals. It's important that everyone be involved in that.

So:

- travel to TPA (very expensive)
    - lodging (very expensive)
    - food (probably very expensive too since you'll be mostly at the convention or delegation hotel)

Hotel will be close to $500/night if not more than that.

Again, getting out of this thing with less than a few grand will probably be pretty impossible if you're actually a delegate.
    Travel to Tampa - a tank of gas (round trip)
    Food - I'm not sure what on earth people are eating, but I can survive on very little. I also tend to stay farther away and commute in for events. There is always a way to get where you are going.
    Lodging - the only real expense @ around $100/night (you do know you can split a room with someone...) for 4 nights

So... yeah... not seeing $3,000. Perhaps if I were flying, it would be different. Likewise, if someone is staying with someone in Tampa and driving in for events/voting, it is different. I think throwing it out there that it's definitely going to cost someone thousands of dollars to become a delegate is just going to discourage people even further. The truth is it's going to vary greatly depending on where you're staying and how you're getting there.

Travel to Tampa - a tank of gas (round trip)
    The majority of delegates will be unable to do that because most of the caucus states are nowhere near Florida.

Food - I'm not sure what on earth people are eating, but I can survive on very little.
    Prices will be jacked up during the event. Hotel food is never cheap to begin with anyway.

I also tend to stay farther away and commute in for events. There is always a way to get where you are going.
    You've never been to a major party convention before have you?

This is not a realistic option logistically, especially considering Tampa's infrastructure and layout.

The majority of delegates will be unable to do that because most of the caucus states are nowhere near Florida.

Prices will be jacked up during the event. Hotel food is never cheap to begin with anyway.

You've never been to a major party convention before have you?

This is not a realistic option logistically, especially considering Tampa's infrastructure and layout.
    Mmkay guys. Cancel the Chippies and please don't run for delegate. Matt Collins says you can't afford it, because Tampa has no streets, and the food will cost at least a gazillion bucks, and also you will be charged $500/night and not allowed to split hotel costs.

(Some people get all their joy from pissing on others' parades. Oh and yes, I've been to Tampa for events, and yes I've been to Conventions, and yes, I have experience with living on the cheap in areas where people have told me it's utterly impossible. But whatever tickles your pickle. I'll leave you to discourage folks some more.)

I was not aware of chip ins. That makes this post irrelevant. I will need more than a tank of gas and I agree it will be expensive and chaotic. I am giving a chip in heads up on Tampa. If I make it I promise proof. I will be screaming it from the top of the atmosphere. The thing is I realize I have to make it first. My eagerness for national delegate fundraising stemmed off wanting to help if I don't make it. Chip ins cover it... I guess. Pauls people should help with this. I don't know just thought I had an idea?