Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Former Vegan girl made 2 critical mistakes that was destroying her health

Quote Originally Posted by Yieu View Post
    I think that is the case for most if not all people who say they tried going without meat and encountered difficulties. They didn't know that you can't just eat cereal, potato chips, and salad. There needs to be a variety of beans, nuts, healthy fats, and it works better with dairy.
    A lot of vegans mistakenly start eating too many vegetables and not enough starches or fruit.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    This guy is a strict vegan like the girl in the OP was, but he doesn't commit the 2 critical mistakes she made and, as you can see, he's flourishing even on a strict low fat plant based diet.

I took Gold in my weight class in my Brown Belt Masters Division. I've been a Vegan Athlete for over 4+yrs and have never felt better. At almost 43yrs old I feel younger than ever.

It's not just vegans who make the critical mistake that Tasha girl did, but also on any diet, including the inaccurately called "paleo" diet:

I was 32 years old and in what seemed to be the best shape of my life. Except: I hadn't had my period in two years, my weight kept creeping up, I was exhausted all the time, and my sexual appetite was nonexistent. I was baffled. As a holistic nutritionist, I knew my diet and fitness were perfect. After all, I had "gone Paleo" four years prior.

One day, I finally got offline and into a doctor's office. That's when I discovered my alleged healthy lifestyle was actually the reason I'd lost my period and libido. She instructed me to stop my intense exercise regime and start eating more, immediately.

http://www.refinery29.com/paleo-diet...ating-hormones
    Last edited by farreri; 03-23-2016 at 12:19 PM.

Chester Copperpot

Quote Originally Posted by farreri View Post
    It's not just vegans who make the critical mistake that Tasha girl did, but also on any diet, including the inaccurately called "paleo" diet:
    Well, it seems like a nice healthy dose of cholesterol would do some vegans well. helped this Tasha girl

Quote Originally Posted by Chester Copperpot View Post
    Well, it seems like a nice healthy dose of cholesterol would do some vegans well. helped this Tasha girl
    There actually some truth to that, but not how you think. Riddle time, how does that jui-jitsu guy a couple of posts up get a nice healthy dose of cholesterol after more than 4 years being strict vegan that enabled him to place 1st in his athletic competition against meat eaters, but yet that athletic girl Tasha became so weak on her vegan diet within 3 yrs that she could hardly exercise anymore? You should kinda know the answer, but I want to hear from you how it specifically relates to cholesterol.
    Last edited by farreri; 03-27-2016 at 10:33 AM.

Chester Copperpot

There actually some truth to that, but not how you think. Riddle time, how does that jui-jitsu guy a couple of posts up get a nice healthy dose of cholesterol after more than 4 years being strict vegan that enabled him to place 1st in his athletic competition against meat eaters, but yet that athletic girl Tasha became so weak on her vegan diet within 3 yrs that she could hardly exercise anymore? You should kinda know the answer, but I want to hear from you how it specifically relates to cholesterol.
    i dont care.. i just posted this message to troll you and make you come out of your hiatus... Im glad to see my theory is correct. thanks

8. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    i dont care.. i just posted this message to troll you and make you come out of your hiatus... Im glad to see my theory is correct. thanks
    Well I'm glad to see you enjoy me posting here dispelling a lot of nutritional myths like this thread where I showed it wasn't veganism that destroyed that girl's health, but that she was doing the diet wrong.

Chester, are you going to show some personal responsibility with you other thread and ask the moderator to delete it, or at least change the title to be accurate since we now know that veganism didn't harm that girl's health, but that she did the diet wrong?

Chester Copperpot

Chester, are you going to show some personal responsibility with you other thread and ask the moderator to delete it, or at least change the title to be accurate since we now know that veganism didn't harm that girl's health, but that she did the diet wrong?
    Hell no. Me and you have a difference of opinion.. get over it or get a new paid blogging job.

Hell no. Me and you have a difference of opinion
    The jury is still out about her and B12 since we don't know what brand she took and how much she was taking--if she really was taking it--but how do you explain her being low in iron?

Chester Copperpot

The jury is still out about her and B12 since we don't know what brand she took and how much she was taking--if she really was taking it--but how do you explain her being low in iron?
    you didnt read that either huh? She took iron supplements.. her body didnt absorb it.. most people absorb synthetics very poorly. but hey.. if shes a vegan rah rah its all good to you right? lol

She took iron supplements
    You're not getting it. Why was her iron low in the first place?

Why was her iron low in the first place?
    Chester?

You're not getting it. Why was her iron low in the first place?
    She didn't eat meat.
    "This here's Miss Bonnie Parker. I'm Clyde Barrow. We rob banks."

17. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Isaac Bickerstaff View Post
    She didn't eat meat.
    Where does meat get its iron?

Where does meat get its iron?
    Again with this silly non-sequitur. Where does grass get its iron? Maybe you should just skip any organisms that separate you from your elemental iron and go straight to eating rocks.

Where does grass get its iron?
    Soil.

Back to my question, why was her iron low in the first place?

Soil.

Back to my question, why was her iron low in the first place?
    Why don't you eat dirt?

Why don't you eat dirt?
    Probably for the same reasons you don't.

So why was that ex-vegan girl low in iron?

Probably for the same reasons you don't.

So why was that ex-vegan girl low in iron?
    Asked and answered.

Now, why can't you get your iron from soil if that's where your vegetables get it from?

Asked and answered.
    So people can only get iron from meat or soil?

Now, why can't you get your iron from soil if that's where your vegetables get it from?
    I never said you couldn't.

I never said you couldn't.
    Which is why your opinions on nutrition are dangerous.

26. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Which is why your opinions on nutrition are dangerous.
    Why? I didn't say I recommend eating soil. But technically, you can get nutrients from eating soil to answer your question.

Geophagia is the practice of eating earth or soil-like substrates

Clay minerals have been reported to have beneficial microbiological effects, such as protecting the stomach against toxins, parasites and pathogens.[23][24] Humans are not able to synthesize vitamin B12 (cobalamin), so geophagia may be a behavioral adaption to obtain it from bacteria in the soil.[25]:195 Mineral content in soil may vary per region, but many contain high levels of calcium, copper, magnesium, iron and zinc that are critical for pregnant women and peasants, as nature typically tends to favor behaviors based on survival.[24][26]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geopha...pact_on_health
    My question again, so people can only get iron from meat or soil? Vegans can't get iron if they don't eat dirt?

Why? I didn't say I recommend eating soil. But technically, you can get nutrients from eating soil to answer your question.

My question again, so people can only get iron from meat or soil? Vegans can't get iron if they don't eat dirt?
    At this point I am assuming that I am having a discussion with a middle schooler. It's not your fault, you just haven't been exposed to ninth grade biology class yet. However, even the part of the wikipedia article that you quoted should answer a number of your questions without too much background information. First, the primary reason for eating dirt is microbial. I have no disagreement with this. Microbes are really the only factor of note in the process of making minerals in the soil available for plant and animal use. In fact, after being deprived of the microbes and enzymes available from consumption of animal products, I would recommend that vegans eat dirt, but by no means expect it to be a substitute for real food.

Next, the article acknowledges that mineral makeup of the soil differs from region to region. Once again, I have no problem with this statement. Different soil chemistry houses different microbial populations and creates the wonderful diversity of foods that we have, from regional wines in France, California, etc., to Kefir and cheeses, open vat fermented Belgian beers, dry aged beef, sauerkraut, Viking fermented fish barrels--you get the picture. However, I do take issue with the idea that it is possible for a monogastric creature with hemoglobin to get adequate iron directly from plants or soil. Here's why:

Hemoglobin is amazing from a chemistry perspective. It is this huge (relatively speaking) molecule with a single iron atom at its core. Through the process of animal respiration, the iron atom oxidizes and then sheds the oxygen again on a regular basis. Plants do not have hemoglobin, therefore their iron needs are dramatically different and their makeup reflects this. In order to consume enough iron from plants to satisfy your animal needs, you must consume much more plant matter than your omnivorous digestive system could hold or process--assuming you even have the proper pH and microbial helpers to unlock the iron. A ruminant is well suited to consume large quantities of plant matter and extract what it needs, concentrating the nutrients at usable levels and passing it on to its young or omnivorous/carnivorous species.

Furthermore, since the body is looking for single iron atoms to make hemoglobin, and iron--being a metal--is not likely to be found in soil as single atoms, it needs help. Now plants will include carbolic acid in their exudates to help the microbes in their rhizospheres strip nutrients, including iron, from the rock particles in the soil. However, since much of the iron contained in plant matter is ferredoxin, monogastric animals will still have problems utilizing it without further processing. That processing will happen in the mysterious recesses of a polygastric digestive system. Monogastric animals simply do not have the right digestive pH, microbial populations, or GI length (longer digestive tract means more time to process).

To rely on plants alone for adequate iron will slowly deplete the body of enzymes, and relying on soil for mineral needs is like trying to use boulders in a sand box.

There ya' go. When you get there, I hope this helps with your Biology 101 class.

To rely on plants alone for adequate iron will slowly deplete the body of enzymes, and relying on soil for mineral needs is like trying to use boulders in a sand box.
    Um, no. That's not why she was low in iron, or else all vegans would be low in iron. Guess again.

You need help, kid. Seriously. Get yourself checked out. You are dangerously low in something.

You need help, kid. Seriously. Get yourself checked out. You are dangerously low in something.
    If I were you, I'd refrain from the insults since I've given the answer why she got low in iron on her vegan diet. I'm just seeing if people are actually paying attention.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234