Thread: The US Would Be Under Serious Hybrid War Threat If Mexico Legalized Opium

The US Would Be Under Serious Hybrid War Threat If Mexico Legalized Opium

There would be far-reaching implications for the US if the incoming Mexican government goes through with the current Defense Minister’s suggestion to legalize opium for medicinal use...

This so-called “solution” has long been discussed and is seen by some as a pragmatic approach for lessening the heavy carnage caused by the country’s drug war over the past decade, which has killed more than 200,000 people since it first began in 2006.
    The concept is simple enough and it’s that the country’s opium farmers, which have made Mexico the world’s third-largest supplier of this drug, would sell their harvests to government-approved entities for use in scientific studies and medicine instead of giving them to the cartels, though this would require that the state provide adequate protection to both the farmers and their crops. This is a lot easier said than done because the security services are thought to be deeply infiltrated by the cartels, and many citizens live in fear of what would happen if these forces found out that they were cooperating with the government.
    Mexico would therefore probably have to go through with what President-elect Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador, popularly known by his initials as AMLO, previously proposed in calling for a ceasefire with the cartels and even bestowing amnesty on non-violent members of these gangs in order to restore national stability. For as risky of a policy as it may be, it’s not impossible for it to succeed to the benefit of most Mexicans as a whole, though that doesn’t mean that it would also be in the US’ national interests to see this plan unfold.
    The country has been so ravaged by the collateral damage caused by the rampant use of hard drugs within its society, which includes crime waves and overdoses, that the legalization of opium for medicinal use in Mexico might make its drug crisis many orders of magnitude worse if there aren’t proper border security measures in place beforehand.

More at: https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-...egalized-opium
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    So zerohedge is turning drug warrior?
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    I don't think so, but they are pointing out that we need to secure the border.

They should have suggested legalization in the US but that isn't likely to happen.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

That would be great if our country had access to opium.. opium isn't that horrible. Heroin is really bad, and a lot of the prescription opioids are pretty bad, but opium itself is a much better option for opiate addicts.

The problem is, that since it is illegal here, they will likely process it into heroin to send across the border because that is a lot more profitable than sending opium.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    I don't think so, but they are pointing out that we need to secure the border.

They should have suggested legalization in the US but that isn't likely to happen.
    the legalization of opium for medicinal use in Mexico might make its drug crisis many orders of magnitude worse if there aren’t proper border security measures in place beforehand.
    That sounds like drug warrior talk to me.

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    That would be great if our country had access to opium.. opium isn't that horrible. Heroin is really bad, and a lot of the prescription opioids are pretty bad, but opium itself is a much better option for opiate addicts.

The problem is, that since it is illegal here, they will likely process it into heroin to send across the border because that is a lot more profitable than sending opium.
    Amen.
    "The Patriarch"

That sounds like drug warrior talk to me.
    If we don't have legalization in the US (and that isn't likely) then without border security our drug problems are going to get worse if Mexico legalizes.

We need to secure the border for many reasons and that might happen, we might get weed legalized but we haven't even started moving towards opium legalization.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

If we don't have legalization in the US (and that isn't likely) then without border security our drug problems are going to get worse if Mexico legalizes.

We need to secure the border for many reasons and that might happen, we might get weed legalized but we haven't even started moving towards opium legalization.
    "The Patriarch"

How soon do you think we could get opium legalization and what do you suggest we do until then?

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    How soon do you think we could get opium legalization and what do you suggest we do until then?
    Do? The drug war is and always will be a failure. Drugs will continue to come in no matter how many divisions you put at the border.
    "The Patriarch"

Legalizing magic mushrooms?

Some in California want to legalize magic mushrooms.

http://sfist.com/2017/08/28/proposed...ld_legal_1.php

We're being governed ruled by a geriatric Alzheimer patient/puppet whose strings are being pulled by an elitist oligarchy who believe they can manage the world... imagine the utter maniacal, sociopathic hubris!

Quote Originally Posted by Pauls' Revere View Post
    Some in California want to legalize magic mushrooms.

http://sfist.com/2017/08/28/proposed...ld_legal_1.php
    Johns Hopkins Researchers Say "Magic Mushrooms" Should Be Decriminalized

Yup, but nobody has even suggested opium.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

We should bring the troops home to guard our own poppy fields, instead of guarding Afghanistans'.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Banned

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    We should bring the troops home to guard our own poppy fields, instead of guarding Afghanistans'.
    Yup.

Race warrior.
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

Ron Paul: The War on Drugs is a War on Liberty, Choice, and Responsibility
    written by adam dick thursday november 24, 2016
    Ron Paul lays out the case for legalizing all drugs and ending the war on drugs in a new interview released Tuesday. The chairman of the Ron Paul Institute and former Republican House of Representatives member from Texas tells interviewer Jacob Hornberger of the Future of Freedom Foundation that the war on drugs is really a “war on liberty.” Paul elaborates that the drug war is a war on people making their own choices and taking responsibility for their choices.

Paul further argues in the interview that the war on drugs “has been extremely successful for those who want to build an authoritarian government, a centralized government, and a police state.” This, Paul suggests is a necessary result of prohibition because only via authoritarianism can government “make people behave better by not using drugs.” Paul says “the case could be made” that the drug war is “the most — or close to being the most — significant event for the undermining of true civil liberty.” Supporting this conclusion, Paul comments on the high incarceration rate in America, much of which is related to the drug war.
    http://www.ronpaulinstitute.org/arch...esponsibility/

@Swordsmyth , care to walk that back? Ron Paul and a host of other have been calling for the end of the drug war for years.
    Last edited by Origanalist; 10-19-2018 at 10:27 AM.
    "The Patriarch"

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.

http://www.ronpaulinstitute.org/arch...esponsibility/

@Swordsmyth , care to walk that back? Ron Paul and a host of other have been calling for the end of the drug war for years.
    I meant nobody with any power or influence, much as I hate it Ron and all the other libertarians don't have either.

Let me know when the first even slightly mainstream institution calls for the legalization of opium or the first state has a law or ballot measure even proposed.

I would legalize it today if I had the power but I don't see it happening any time soon, do you think we could get it done in less than 10 years?

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment