Thread: Advise for a project I'm working on...

Advise for a project I'm working on...

A couple I do work for has an manhole cover with the name of the casting company that they are related to. When I say "manhole" I have to add that it is not as large as a common manhole cover. It's about 18" in diameter and 2" thick.

Now the problem.... humidity has created surface rust on the cover. They want it cleaned up and made to withstand humidity without rusting again.

So, to remove the rust I'm going to go the Naval Jelly route with a brass brush. It's just surface rust and not much at that.

To keep it from rusting again I've got two ideas. One is season it in the oven with cooking oil like a cast iron pan. The other is to put stove black on it and also heat it on the oven.

Thoughts?

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    A couple I do work for has an manhole cover with the name of the casting company that they are related to. When I say "manhole" I have to add that it is not as large as a common manhole cover. It's about 18" in diameter and 2" thick.

Now the problem.... humidity has created surface rust on the cover. They want it cleaned up and made to withstand humidity without rusting again.

So, to remove the rust I'm going to go the Naval Jelly route with a brass brush. It's just surface rust and not much at that.

To keep it from rusting again I've got two ideas. One is season it in the oven with cooking oil like a cast iron pan. The other is to put stove black on it and also heat it on the oven.

Thoughts?
    Abandon them as customers. These people are nuts. No more rust again? Who are they? Gods?

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    Abandon them as customers. These people are nuts. No more rust again? Who are they? Gods?
    They are the kind of customer that pays on time with no questions asked. In cash. No receipt of payment required.

A penetrating anti-rust product like WD-40 followed by anti-rust wax might work... is this something that is going to stay outside?

Don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows

Quote Originally Posted by agitator View Post
    por15 is great stuff

There are a lot of things you can use, but this would be the Cadillac of anti rust treatments.

Quote Originally Posted by shakey1 View Post
    A penetrating anti-rust product like WD-40 followed by anti-rust wax might work... is this something that is going to stay outside?
    Screened in back porch. No direct rain or water. Just humidity. I'm also looking for a method that will be dry to the touch not oily.
    Last edited by phill4paul; 07-11-2017 at 08:36 AM.

Vinegar soak for rust.

Prime and paint with rattle cans.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Vinegar soak for rust.

Prime and paint with rattle cans.
    Yeah, have been considering priming and painting as an option.

Haven't considered a vinegar soak. Would sure as hell be less messy than Naval Jelly.

Edit: In fact I have a spare gallon of white vinegar on hand. Thanks for that reminder, time to get it soaking.
    Last edited by phill4paul; 07-11-2017 at 08:42 AM.

Sandblast it and spray it with Clear Coat.

Sand blast to bare metal then rustoleum or...

Brush with rust converter like Ospho then leave alone or spray with rustoleum.

Quote Originally Posted by The Northbreather View Post
    Sand blast to bare metal then rustoleum or...

Brush with rust converter like Ospho then leave alone or spray with rustoleum.
    Quote Originally Posted by Schifference View Post
    Sandblast it and spray it with Clear Coat.
    Unfortunately I don't own a sandblaster or know anyone who does. Well, I do but they are an hour away. And it is just light surface rust. Vinegar seems to be working fine for even just the hour I've had it in there with just a light brushing. Also it is a used cover so much of the lettering is raised barely above the base. Since I don't have access to a blaster I'm going with the "kinder, gently" approach.

I'm not sure if I want to clear coat it or paint it black and then clear coat it. I'm going to have to wait until I get the rust off to make a determination.

Use this original to make a mold and then cast it again,
    this time in non-rusting material such as aluminum.

Yes, I know this is not practical! But as long as there's iron atoms and oxygen,
    Eventually, e-ven-tu-al-ly, the manhole will rust again.

Quote Originally Posted by helmuth_hubener View Post
    Use this original to make a mold and then cast it again,
    this time in non-rusting material such as aluminum.

Yes, I know this is not practical! But as long as there's iron atoms and oxygen,
    Eventually, e-ven-tu-al-ly, the manhole will rust again.
    Can't dispute that. But, they are in their late 70's or early 80's so I don't suppose it needs to be permanent.

Okay go to dollar store and get a kiddie swimming pool. Go to tractor supply and get a gallon of Dairyland Sterosol Milkstone Remover & Acid Rinse. It is mostly phosphoric acid. Dilute the Acid to approximately 25% with H2O. Let it sit in there for a little while. It will turn black. The iron oxide will convert to Iron phosphate.

When finished buy some cheap baking soda and keep adding to the diluted solution a little at a time until it does not bubble anymore. Then you can just discard.

The Dairyland is much cheaper than Ospho and I think has higher phosphoric content.

You could even just dilute the stuff and saturate a towel or something absorbent and cover the piece with it.
    Last edited by Schifference; 07-11-2017 at 09:52 AM.

Vinegar is water and 5% acetic acid.

Oshpo is phosphoric acid.

I imagine the both change the iron oxide to something else but the oshpo is likley higher strength as people use it on boats and heavy equipment

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Thoughts?
    I do not know anything about stove black. But seasoning it would totally work.

Unfortunately I don't own a sandblaster or know anyone who does. Well, I do but they are an hour away. And it is just light surface rust. Vinegar seems to be working fine for even just the hour I've had it in there with just a light brushing. Also it is a used cover so much of the lettering is raised barely above the base. Since I don't have access to a blaster I'm going with the "kinder, gently" approach.

I'm not sure if I want to clear coat it or paint it black and then clear coat it. I'm going to have to wait until I get the rust off to make a determination.
    Toilet bowl cleaner will take rust off

Quote Originally Posted by Schifference View Post
    Okay go to dollar store and get a kiddie swimming pool. Go to tractor supply and get a gallon of Dairyland Sterosol Milkstone Remover & Acid Rinse. It is mostly phosphoric acid. Dilute the Acid to approximately 25% with H2O. Let it sit in there for a little while. It will turn black. The iron oxide will convert to Iron phosphate.

When finished buy some cheap baking soda and keep adding to the diluted solution a little at a time until it does not bubble anymore. Then you can just discard.

The Dairyland is much cheaper than Ospho and I think has higher phosphoric content.

You could even just dilute the stuff and saturate a towel or something absorbent and cover the piece with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Northbreather View Post
    Vinegar is water and 5% acetic acid.

Oshpo is phosphoric acid.

I imagine the both change the iron oxide to something else but the oshpo is likley higher strength as people use it on boats and heavy equipment
    Yeah, I have a jug of Naval Jelly from some project in the way back. I'll go to that if the vinegar doesn't do the trick. I'm just letting it soak while I disassemble and re-glue the legs on one of their kitchen chairs.

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    I do not know anything about stove black. But seasoning it would totally work.
    That's what I was thinking WRT seasoning. I thought it would give an "organic" look to the cover, as opposed to paint, and provide enough protection from humidity.

I wax the cast iron in my shop to keep it from rusting.

I wax the cast iron in my shop to keep it from rusting.

@tod evans Does that product make the cast tacky or oily? They have a dog and as this is set on the floor I want to make sure no fur balls stick to it.

@tod evans Does that product make the cast tacky or oily? They have a dog and as this is set on the floor I want to make sure no fur balls stick to it.
    It dries hard.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    It dries hard.
    Outstanding. I might go that route. Does it dry clear? I'm going to have to see what the rust free appearance is then decide on what will work best.
    Last edited by phill4paul; 07-11-2017 at 11:13 AM.

Outstanding. I might go that route. I'm going to have to see what the rust free appearance is then decide on what will work best.
    If you're looking for contrast paint sand wax will set it off...

Sand the paint off the raised areas and wax the whole thing....

If you're looking for contrast paint sand wax will set it off...

Sand the paint off the raised areas and wax the whole thing....
    I was just thinking the same exact thing, because I would indeed love to create contrast. Well, I've finished disassembling and re-glueing the chair so that will have to set overnight. After another project or two might have to head out for some Johnson paste wax.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Don't think I'll use that for this project but just what I'm looking for for my truck rack. Thanks!

Edit: That would also work great for rusty nail heads when house painting.
    Last edited by phill4paul; 07-11-2017 at 12:51 PM.