Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Senator John Cornyn pushing the GOP version of gun control...

Senator John Cornyn pushing the GOP version of gun control...

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/gun-con...CNI-00-10aaa3a

Sen. John Cornyn said Monday he's "optimistic" there will be "60 plus" votes on gun control legislation a bipartisan group of senators has been negotiating. That would be enough to overcome a filibuster and send a bill to the floor.

The Texas Republican is part of the group trying to craft a measure in the wake of deadly shootings last month in Buffalo, New York, and Uvalde, Texas.

President Joe Biden last week called on the Senate to move forward, saying "this time, we have to take the time to do something."

Mr. Biden and his fellow Democrats have called for bans on assault weapons and high-capacity magazines, as well as red-flag and safe storage laws and strengthening background checks. At the very least, Mr. Biden has called for the minimum age to buy an assault weapon to be raised to 21 from 18.

Democratic negotiators said a deal could be completed this week around a proposal that includes enhanced background checks, new incentives for states to pass red flag laws and investments in schools and mental health.

Cornyn said Monday he thought that raising the age requirement had been taken off the table by lead Democratic negotiator Sen. Chris Murphy of Connecticut.

"We have to be realistic about what can pass both chambers of Congress and get the president's signature," Cornyn said on the Senate floor on Monday. " And we know it's not easy … I want to be clear, we're not talking about restricting the rights of law-abiding gun owners or citizens."

Republican Sen. Pat Toomey said on "Face the Nation" on Sunday that expanding background checks is "on the table."

White House press secretary Karine Jean-Pierre said Monday that Mr. Biden is "encouraged" by the discussions going on in the Senate.

A CBS News poll released Sunday shows 81% of Americans supporting background checks on all potential gun buyers, while 72% favor a federal red flag law and 62% a nationwide ban on assault weapons.

The Democratic-controlled House Judiciary Committee last week advanced a package of bills called the "Protecting Our Kids Act" that would harden the nation's gun laws.
    Last edited by jmdrake; 06-07-2022 at 04:33 PM.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The democrats have already said that they plan to use reconciliation to get around the filibuster. So the only way to stop an assault weapons ban is for nothing gun control related to pass this year. And Biden has already hinted that he wants to get rid of 9mm ammunition.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

There should be no GOP version of gun control because all gun control laws are unconstitutional.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

Bipartisan Gun Deal Announced: No ‘Assault Weapons’ Ban, No Raised Minimum Rifle Age

https://www.breitbart.com/2nd-amendm...mum-rifle-age/

JOEL B. POLLAK 12 Jun 2022

A bipartisan group of senators announced a deal on gun control legislation Sunday in the wake of recent mass shootings — though the compromise excludes President Joe Biden’s “assault weapons” ban and a raised minimum age for rifle purchases.

The deal includes Republican priorities such as expanded mental health services and school safety. It nods to Democratic priorities by adding expanded background checks for those under the age of 21, who will now have juvenile records screened before gun purchases.

A press released from the bipartisan group outlines the contours of the proposed legislation (original emphasis) :

BIPARTISAN GROUP OF SENATORS ANNOUNCE AGREEMENT

WASHINGTON–U.S. Senators Chris Murphy (D-Conn.), John Cornyn (R-Texas), Thom Tillis (R-N.C.), Kyrsten Sinema (D-Ariz.), Richard Blumenthal (D-Conn.), Roy Blunt (R-Mo.), Cory Booker (D- N.J.), Richard Burr (R-N.C.), Bill Cassidy (R-La.), Susan Collins (R-Maine), Chris Coons (D-Del.), Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.), Martin Heinrich (D-N.M.), Mark Kelly (D-Ariz.), Angus King (I-Maine), Joe Manchin (D-W.Va.), Rob Portman (R-Ohio), Mitt Romney (R-Utah), Debbie Stabenow (D-Mich.), and Pat Toomey (R-Pa.) issued the following statement:

“Today, we are announcing a commonsense, bipartisan proposal to protect America’s children, keep our schools safe, and reduce the threat of violence across our country. Families are scared, and it is our duty to come together and get something done that will help restore their sense of safety and security in their communities. Our plan increases needed mental health resources, improves school safety and support for students, and helps ensure dangerous criminals and those who are adjudicated as mentally ill can’t purchase weapons. Most importantly, our plan saves lives while also protecting the constitutional rights of law-abiding Americans. We look forward to earning broad, bipartisan support and passing our commonsense proposal into law.”The proposal includes:Support for State Crisis

Intervention Orders
    ● Provides resources to states and tribes to create and administer laws that help ensure deadly weapons are kept out of the hands of individuals whom a court has determined to be a significant danger to themselves or others, consistent with state and federal due process and constitutional protections.

Investment in Children and Family Mental Health Services
    ● National expansion of community behavioral health center model; major investments to increase access to mental health and suicide prevention programs; and other support services available in the community, including crisis and trauma intervention and recovery.

Protections for Victims of Domestic Violence
    ● Convicted domestic violence abusers and individuals subject to domestic violence restraining orders are included in NICS, including those who have or have had a continuing relationship of a romantic or intimate nature.

Funding for School-Based Mental Health and Supportive Services
    ● Invests in programs to expand mental health and supportive services in schools, including: early identification and intervention programs and school based mental health and wrap-around services.

Funding for School Safety Resources
    ● Invests in programs to help institute safety measures in and around primary and secondary schools, support school violence prevention efforts and provide training to school personnel and students.

Clarification of Definition of Federally Licensed Firearms Dealer
    ● Cracks down on criminals who illegally evade licensing requirements.

Telehealth Investments
    ● Invests in programs that increase access to mental and behavioral health services for youth and families in crisis via telehealth.

Under 21 Enhanced Review Process
    ● For buyers under 21 years of age, requires an investigative period to review juvenile and mental health records, including checks with state databases and local law enforcement.

Penalties for Straw Purchasing
    ● Cracks down on criminals who illegally straw purchase and traffic guns.

It is unclear whether the proposal can pass the 60-vote threshold required to defeat a legislative filibuster in the Senate — or whether the “progressive”-led Democratic caucus in the House would pass what they would see as a watered-down bill.
    Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    //
    Ah, the usual suspects I see...The Murk is conspicuously absent though.

Hope she's feeling the heat.
    Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    The proposal includes:

Support for State Crisis Intervention Orders
    Provides resources to states and tribes to [blah blah blah]

● [...] major investments to [yada yada yada]

● [blarg blarg blarg]

Invests in programs to [blah blah blah]

Invests in programs to [yada yada yada]

● [blarg blarg blarg]

Telehealth Investments
    Invests in programs that [blah blah blah]

● [yada yada yada]

● [blarg blarg blarg]
    LMMFAO

These pathetic $#@!s don't even have the balls to do much of anything except find more excuses to print more money.

We deserve better tyrants than this.

Or do we?

LMMFAO

These pathetic $#@!s don't even have the balls to do much of anything except find more excuses to print more money.

Or do we?

I prefer to be grateful that the ones we have are so inept.

But perhaps you’re right. Maybe if we had better tyrants it would move people to get off their asses and do something substantive for a change. But then, NAH. What was I thinking?
    Chris

"Government ... does not exist of necessity, but rather by virtue of a tragic, almost comical combination of klutzy, opportunistic terrorism against sitting ducks whom it pretends to shelter, plus our childish phobia of responsibility, praying to be exempted from the hard reality of life on life's terms." Wolf DeVoon

"...Make America Great Again. I'm interested in making American FREE again. Then the greatness will come automatically."Ron Paul

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    LMMFAO

Or do we?
    They don't really even need legislation to pass gun control anymore. They just tell the ATF to do it. Such as rule 2021R-05F which takes effect in August. The rule change is vague as $#@! (by design), but as written, virtually every firearm component will require serialization and a background check. Lawyers are still debating what the $#@! it actually means, but most likely gone are the days of just buying upper receiver groups and getting them delivered to your door. Potentially even buying a new trigger could require you to go to a FFL and pick it up.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Yes. The same RINO's that continually aid and abet the Marxists in their communist $#@!.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan View Post
    They don't really even need legislation to pass gun control anymore. They just tell the ATF to do it. [...]
    Yes.

Congress is a lame joke.

The vast federal executive plantation is where all the power really resides.

And the people who wield that power are nameless, faceless, unaccountable bureaucrats.

(POTUS is a lame joke, too. and not much more than a figurehead - especially the senile kiddie-sniffer we've got now.)

Intervention Orders
    ● Provides resources to states and tribes to create and administer laws that help ensure deadly weapons are kept out of the hands of individuals whom a court has determined to be a significant danger to themselves or others, consistent with state and federal due process and constitutional protections.

● National expansion of community behavioral health center model; major investments to increase access to mental health and suicide prevention programs; and other support services available in the community, including crisis and trauma intervention and recovery.

● Convicted domestic violence abusers and individuals subject to domestic violence restraining orders are included in NICS, including those who have or have had a continuing relationship of a romantic or intimate nature.

● Invests in programs to expand mental health and supportive services in schools, including: early identification and intervention programs and school based mental health and wrap-around services.

● Invests in programs to help institute safety measures in and around primary and secondary schools, support school violence prevention efforts and provide training to school personnel and students.

● Cracks down on criminals who illegally evade licensing requirements.

Telehealth Investments
    ● Invests in programs that increase access to mental and behavioral health services for youth and families in crisis via telehealth.

● For buyers under 21 years of age, requires an investigative period to review juvenile and mental health records, including checks with state databases and local law enforcement.

● Cracks down on criminals who illegally straw purchase and traffic guns.
    It could be worse. I agree with some of it.

Quote Originally Posted by 69360 View Post
    It could be worse. I agree with some of it.
    I don't agree with any of it. None of these fall within the purview of the Federal Government. These are States issues. The trouble is the Marxists and RINO's are teaming up to....

Erect a multitude of New Offices, and send hither swarms of Officers to harrass our people, and eat out their substance.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    I don't agree with any of it. None of these fall within the purview of the Federal Government. These are States issues. The trouble is the Marxists and RINO's are teaming up to....

Erect a multitude of New Offices, and send hither swarms of Officers to harrass our people, and eat out their substance.
    I'm not in love with the plans. I just think it could have been a lot worse. Seems like the fedgov will be funding state programs?

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to phill4paul again.

Enough people "agreeing with some of it" (and not just on gun control) is exactly how we got here in the first place.

The only gun legislation I agree with is the one that says "shall not be infringed"
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.

True but I'll stick with this for right now , if it was not for romney and collins they didnt get anything.
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan View Post
    The only gun legislation I agree with is the one that says "shall not be infringed"
    Ya , the only one needed.
    Do something Danke

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to phill4paul again.

Enough people "agreeing with some of it" (and not just on gun control) is exactly how we got here in the first place.
    I don't know. Mental health is the real issue behind almost all of these school shootings. Treatment and services is the way to prevent them. So I do agree with some of it.

I also think that the way to stop them when they do occur is to arm the teachers, so don't take me for some liberal.

Quote Originally Posted by 69360 View Post
    I don't know. Mental health is the real issue behind almost all of these school shootings. Treatment and services is the way to prevent them. So I do agree with some of it.

I also think that the way to stop them when they do occur is to arm the teachers, so don't take me for some liberal.
    But none of those things requires any involvement by the federal government (or really any other level of government, for that matter).

In fact, government is the chief obstacle to some of those things (such as arming teachers).

My point is that enough people justifying or excusing government involvement because they "agree with some of it" is how we ended up with an overweening government that insists on sticking its incompetent fingers into every pie. We are dying by a thousand cuts of "agree with some of it".

When drug warriors talk about how "drugs are bad, mm'kay?", I certainly "agree with some of it" - but that does not in any way justify or excuse a single iota of the government's corrupt War on Drugs (in either its "interdiction" or "treatment" modes). All the "funding" and "investments" happy-talk in things like this proposed bill are every bit as subject to bureaucratic nest-feathering, cronyism, and corruption as anything else the government ever injects itself into. And when they fail to achieve the ostensible objectives - as they almost certainly will - opportunistic "never let a crisis go to waste" politicians will, upon the occurrence of the next urgent "emergency", move on to concocting yet more schemes that a lot of people are going to "agree with some of" ... (and so the endless hamster wheel turns ...)

BETRAYED: The back-stabbing GOP Senators involved in the gun control deal announced today are John Cornyn (TX), Lindsay Graham (SC), Thom Tillis (NC), Richard Burr (NC), Mitt Romney (UT), Bill Cassidy (LA), Roy Blunt (MO), Susan Collins (ME), Rob Portman (OH), Pat Toomey (PA).

Worse, Senate GOP leader Mitch McConnell is signaling his support too.

The deal reportedly includes Red Flag Gun Confiscation, Expanded Gun Registration, and restrictions on the rights of military age Americans to purchase firearms.

If these are your Senators give them an earful! And wherever you live, tell BOTH of your Senators to oppose this gun control deal!

https://www.facebook.com/nagrfb/posts/10159048893160432

__________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

What's REALLY Behind Red Flag Laws - Razör Rants
    https://odysee.com/@RazorFist:1/what...ed-flag-laws:2

https://twitter.com/igorbobic/status...18862155968518

Last edited by Anti Globalist; 06-21-2022 at 10:12 PM.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti Globalist View Post
    There should be no GOP version of gun control because all gun control laws are unconstitutional.
    John Cornyn has a terrible voting record. He violates the Constitution often.

Senator John Cornyn, Texas: Freedom Index Score: 62%
    The John Birch Society is a grassroots education and action organization to return the Republic to the principles found in the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution. -- Join the Fight!

Anybody really think the new gun laws will be substantial?

//
    14 Republican Senators voted to advance the 80-page gun control bill:

Roy Blunt
    Richard Burr
    Shelly Moore-Capito
    Bill Cassidy
    Susan Collins
    John Cornyn
    Joni Ernst
    Lindsey Graham
    Mitch McConnell
    Lisa Murkowski
    Rob Portman
    Mitt Romney
    Thom Tillis
    Todd Young
    https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/202...old-vote-week/
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

__________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Globalist View Post
    And this $#@! has been in the Senate forever...there was talk around here of trying to get Ron Paul to run against him 20 years ago.

WTF TexASS?

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast