Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In Close Vote, House Blocks Debate on Yemen War

In Close Vote, House Blocks Debate on Yemen War

In Close Vote, House Blocks Debate on Yemen War:

Vote was tied to bill cracking down on gray wolves.

On Wednesday, in a vote heavily along party lines, the House passed the Manage our Wolves Act 201-187. The vote effectively blocked all debate on the war in Yemen, and precluded that conflict from coming up for a future vote.

This is the second straight year that an attempt to challenge America’s unauthorized involvement in the Yemen War under the War Powers Act has been derailed by House leadership through last minute rule changes. This time, it required tying the rule change to a vote about gray wolves.

This led to a bizarre situation where they were debating the constitutionality of the Yemen War on one side, and the desire to shoot gray wolves on the other side. This was meant to give cover to lawmakers, to say they were voting because of the wolves instead of the unpopular Saudi-led war.

The close vote, and near universal 6-172 vote by House Democrats, may suggest that there will be a shift in a future vote on the Yemen War when the Democrats take over the House next year, though their leadership has been similarly inclined to let the wars go unchallenged in Congress.
    So Republicans not only enjoy slaughtering innocent human beings but they also enjoy slaughtering wolves. Tell me again why Republicans are the better party?
    Last edited by charrob; 11-14-2018 at 06:58 PM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by charrob View Post

So Republicans not only enjoy slaughtering innocent human beings but they also enjoy slaughtering wolves. Tell me again why Republicans are the better party?
    WTH???
    There is no spoon.

What is wrong with killing wolves?
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

It's stuff like this that makes politics so disgusting.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post

I'm not going to argue on this forum about this because it's not the place. But, for what it's worth, I don't want to see the gray wolf become extinct. They are a natural part of the ecosystem and if they become extinct, the rest of the ecosystem will be affected. I have no problem with people killing deer or fowl for food: indeed it's much less cruel than what factory farm animals endure on a daily basis. But to work toward the extinction of an entire species seems just plain wrong to me.
    Last edited by charrob; 11-14-2018 at 07:25 PM.

The Yemen bill was co-sponsored by, among others, Thomas Massie and Walter Jones.

It reads, in part:

Directing the President...to remove United States Armies Forces from hostilities in the Republic of Yemen that have not been authorized by Congress
    https://www.congress.gov/115/bills/h...onres138ih.pdf

I'm not going to argue on this forum about this because it's not the place. But, for what it's worth, I don't want to see the gray wolf become extinct. They are a natural part of the ecosystem and if they become extinct, the rest of the ecosystem will be affected. I have no problem in killing deer or fowl for food: indeed it's much less cruel than what factory farm animals endure on a daily basis. But to work toward the extinction of an entire species seems just plain wrong to me.
    I doubt anyone is working towards the extinction of the gray wolf, the liberals have been trying to spread them in order to hurt ranchers and make it dangerous to live outside of big cities.

The reduction of major predators is a major element of civilization and other creatures and human hunters can fill their place in the ecosystem.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

I'm not going to argue on this forum about this because it's not the place. But, for what it's worth, I don't want to see the gray wolf become extinct. They are a natural part of the ecosystem and if they become extinct, the rest of the ecosystem will be affected. I have no problem in killing deer or fowl for food: indeed it's much less cruel than what factory farm animals endure on a daily basis. But to work toward the extinction of an entire species seems just plain wrong to me.
    cool why do we need the federal government involved, if it is so important, then organize private sanctuaries.
    I just want objectivity on this forum and will point out flawed sources or points of view at my leisure.

Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 01/15/24
    Trump will win every single state primary by double digits.
    Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 04/20/16
    There won't be a contested convention
    Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 05/30/17
    The shooting of Gabrielle Gifford was blamed on putting a crosshair on a political map. I wonder what event we'll see justified with pictures like this.

Are you claiming to be my bastard son?
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by enhanced_deficit View Post
    Neocons in control of all branches?

Or Soros funded Syria civil-war bloodbath left-wing neocons and Adelson funded Netanyahu-conservatives/MAGAites/Jarvankaites have reached an understanding that wars are good for wall street necons?
    Yep. Unfortunately. And with each year of U.S. foreign interventions -- millions killed -- millions more maimed for the rest of their lives, because of blow-back the American people become less safe and less secure; just the opposite than what the powers that be tell us these wars are for.

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    Are you claiming to be my bastard son?
    No, just empathizing with any you do have.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

No, just empathizing with any you do have.
    Lol, you have a imagination. Who'da thunk it?
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by r3volution 3.0 View Post
    The Yemen bill was co-sponsored by, among others, Thomas Massie and Walter Jones.

It reads, in part:

https://www.congress.gov/115/bills/h...onres138ih.pdf

Yes, here's the list of Republicans who voted with the Democrats on this:

Amash
    Biggs
    Blum
    Brat
    Duncan
    Gohmert
    Griffith
    Jordan
    Labrador
    Massie
    Meadows
    Norman
    Posey
    Sanford
    Schweikert

http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2018/roll418.xml

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Congress once again addressing something which the Constitution says is Congress' responsibility by voting that it's somebody else's problem.
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

Yep. Unfortunately. And with each year of U.S. foreign interventions -- millions killed -- millions more maimed for the rest of their lives, because of blow-back the American people become less safe and less secure; just the opposite than what the powers that be tell us these wars are for.
    It is unfortunate that many civilians die/get maimed in wars. But to be devil's advocate, wars can spur maga mega sales of bombs, weapons that create many well paying jobs and help put food on the table for many many of our childrens.

That said, reckless acronyms like CBS (Cadet Bone Saw) for our close ally dictators, not to be confused with maga insulting term war hero McCain used, being thrown around online do not promote productive dialog on such polarising issues as war and peace.

Yes, here's the list of Republicans who voted with the Democrats on this:

Amash
    Biggs
    Blum
    Brat
    Duncan
    Gohmert
    Griffith
    Jordan
    Labrador
    Massie
    Meadows
    Norman
    Posey
    Sanford
    Schweikert

http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2018/roll418.xml
    Thanks, I was having trouble finding it.

Glad to see Amash on the list (was surprised he wasn't a co-sponsor).

Quote Originally Posted by spudea View Post
    cool why do we need the federal government involved, if it is so important, then organize private sanctuaries.
    I think private sanctuaries are very important. Many species like the white rhino are already extinct. The problem is finding people willing to fund private sanctuaries as more and more of the natural world becomes extinct at a faster and faster pace. The other issue would be that if the gray wolf is no longer part of the natural ecosystem (and only exists in private sanctuaries) it will affect the rest of the ecosystem:

Wolves maintain balance in the ecosystems where they are present, making herds of other species stronger and fitter by targeting sick and weak animals, like those infected with chronic wasting disease. When such herds lose their predators, they suffer poorer health and body condition, as well as more degraded habitats, which can induce mass starvation.

https://blog.humanesociety.org/2018/...-congress.html
    I remember reading an article a few years ago: I think it was about for some reason people obliterating opossums. Not sure why, but they did. And many believe that is why we now have such an infestation of lyme disease and deer ticks. Just like blow-back in foreign policy, there is blow-back in nature/ecosystems when humans destroy species.

It's outside the scope of this argument, but I'm also opposed to unnecessary cruelty to any sentient live being. It's one thing to shoot a deer point blank between the eyes so its suffering is minimized. It's quite another to put traps out and have wolves, deer, and other live beings get their paws in one of these traps and linger for days and weeks in agony before they finally die. And, yes, this does happen. I think this cruelty should be outlawed by States, but if it's not, this is where I have no problem with a Federal law outlawing this kind of torture.

I do believe animals have rights. Maybe not the same rights as humans. But a right to be treated humanely.

I think private sanctuaries are very important. Many species like the white rhino are already extinct. The problem is finding people willing to fund private sanctuaries as more and more of the natural world becomes extinct at a faster and faster pace. The other issue would be that if the gray wolf is no longer part of the natural ecosystem (and only exists in private sanctuaries) it will affect the rest of the ecosystem:

I remember reading an article a few years ago: I think it was about for some reason people obliterating opossums. Not sure why, but they did. And many believe that is why we now have such an infestation of lyme disease and deer ticks. Just like blow-back in foreign policy, there is blow-back in nature/ecosystems when humans destroy species.

It's outside the scope of this argument, but I'm also opposed to unnecessary cruelty to any sentient live being. It's one thing to shoot a deer point blank between the eyes so its suffering is minimized. It's quite another to put traps out and have wolves, deer, and other live beings get their paws in one of these traps and linger for days and weeks in agony before they finally die. And, yes, this does happen. I think this cruelty should be outlawed by States, but if it's not, this is where I have no problem with a Federal law outlawing this kind of torture.

I do believe animals have rights. Maybe not the same rights as humans. But a right to be treated humanely.
    FAIL

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

FAIL

I know you're right according to the Founders. But I don't see sentient beings as being property -- whether they were slaves or other. I suppose like the 13th Amendment, what would be needed is a Constitutional amendment to ban the torture of sentient beings. So in that, yes, you are right. It should not be a Federal Law -- what, imho it should be, is a Constitutional amendment.

I know you're right according to the Founders. But I don't see sentient beings as being property -- whether they were slaves or other. I suppose like the 13th Amendment, what would be needed is a Constitutional amendment to ban the torture of sentient beings. So in that, yes, you are right. It should not be a Federal Law -- what, imho it should be, is a Constitutional amendment.
    Not only would it not be constitutional without an amendment but it exactly the kind of debatable and subjective issue that the founders thought should be handled at the state level or below so that people from an urban region couldn't tell people from a rural reason what to do even though they had no understanding of the issues or the point of view of the rural residents.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Congress blocks a resolution to end US military support for Saudis in Yemen

Rep. Ro Khanna (D) California can't believe it. yah Ro... it's true.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Pubs are better because you will have a rifle to shoot the wolf . Dems would expect you to let yourself be eaten by it .
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by goldenequity View Post
    Rep. Ro Khanna (D) California can't believe it. yah Ro... it's true.

Thank God Republicans still control both houses.
    Chris

"Government ... does not exist of necessity, but rather by virtue of a tragic, almost comical combination of klutzy, opportunistic terrorism against sitting ducks whom it pretends to shelter, plus our childish phobia of responsibility, praying to be exempted from the hard reality of life on life's terms." Wolf DeVoon

"...Make America Great Again. I'm interested in making American FREE again. Then the greatness will come automatically."Ron Paul

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by CCTelander View Post
    Thank God Republicans still control both houses.
    Giving the House to the Demoncrats will absolutely end the war.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

I see no real reason to bring wolves back unless you first bring back continent wide herds of Buffalo and Elk which is the prey .
    Do something Danke

Giving the House to the Demoncrats will absolutely end the war.

Probably not. But that wasn't the point as you're very well aware. But hey, keep up with the mendacious innuendo against anyone who fails to toe your rigidly partisan party line. It makes it easy for any sincere individuals to identify just exactly what you're about.
    Chris

"Government ... does not exist of necessity, but rather by virtue of a tragic, almost comical combination of klutzy, opportunistic terrorism against sitting ducks whom it pretends to shelter, plus our childish phobia of responsibility, praying to be exempted from the hard reality of life on life's terms." Wolf DeVoon

"...Make America Great Again. I'm interested in making American FREE again. Then the greatness will come automatically."Ron Paul

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast