Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: EVs can't work, and are just stepping stones to banning all personal transportation

I was driving through west Texas in the 90s and there was a 10-15 min stretch where I couldn't even get AM. But to the topic, I hadn't thought of that either.
    “Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want and deserve to get it good and hard.”

H.L. Mencken

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Dodge has gone full-retard. Say hello to the new electric muscle-golfcart, oops, I mean, muscle-car.

Doesn't matter if it's trash quality because its purpose is not to be a car, that is, its purpose is not to replace existing cars (long-term), its purpose is to displace as many cars as possible, and then die (be replaced by PuBliC tRaNspOrTatIoN).

More from the "Tesla build-quality is trash" archives:

Last edited by ClaytonB; 12-17-2022 at 10:19 PM.
    Jer. 11:18-20. "The Kingdom of God has come upon you." -- Matthew 12:28

When the Lights Go Out . . .

https://www.ericpetersautos.com/2022...lights-go-out/

By
    eric -
    December 16, 2022

When the power goes out, the lights go out. Break out the flashlights and candles. But it rarely means you cannot go out.

Unless, of course, you have an electric car – and you assumed the power would be on, to charge it up. Then – per the Toothless Man in Deliverance – you ain’t a goin’ nowhere, city boy.

On the other hand, a power outage has zero effect on your car or truck’s ability to take you somewhere – like to work, for instance – if it is not an electric car (or truck). Even if its “range” is low because you only left a couple gallons in the tank, it’s not a problem – especially if you had the foresight to keep a few gallons of gas in a jug for just-in-case.

It is effectively impossible to keep on hand for just-in-case the energy equivalent of five gallons of gas in the form of electricity, to get a discharged electric vehicle going when there’s no power to get it going.

Which is why the Ford Mach e I am test driving this week isn’t going anywhere for awhile. It had very little range (charge) left last night when I parked it – and plugged it in – assuming the power would be on and that the car would have recovered sufficient charge (and so, range) to be viable for driving rather than waiting.

But an ice storm intervened.

The power is still out as I type this on Friday morning, using power supplied to my computer via my gas-powered generator. I could perhaps use the generator to power the EV, but that wouldn’t be very “green” of me. And – regardless – it would entail an unexpected wait.

I had assumed the Mach e would be ready to drive this morning. This can be a very inconvenient assumption, if the power goes out.

The Mach e isn’t going anywhere, for awhile.

And neither would I be able to – were it not for the fact that I own a truck that runs on gas. It is always ready to go, whether the power is on – or off. And even if I had parked it with very little “range” remaining, in the form of gas in its tank, I would be able to add range very easily –*because I always keep an extra five gallons of gas around for just-in-case. Pour it in – the job takes a couple of minutes – and I am, literally good to go.

But if I didn’t have my truck – if I owned an electric vehicle like the Mach e – I would be out o’ luck.

At least until the power comes back on. Sometimes, that does not happen for several days in my area.

This bears thinking about – or should, especially in view of the paradoxical fact that electric vehicles make power outages more likely on account of the fact that electric vehicles draw a lot of power – for which demand there is already insufficient capacity. This problem may compound on account of the not-well-known fact that electric vehicles need to be kept plugged in even after they have fully charged up because otherwise they will lose charge, on account of the power drawn by the battery pack’s temperature control system.

You can leave your gas-engined vehicle parked outside in the freezing cold. The cold will have no meaningful effect on the chemical energy you have available in the tank. If the tank was full when you parked it last night, it will be full when you go to drive it this morning.

But the more relevant scenario is this one:

You leave it parked with just a couple of gallons in the tank – because you didn’t have the time last night on the way home to stop for a fill-up. Or you just forgot to. The point is, you didn’t have to.

Your gas engined vehicle will still have the same range that it had when you parked it because those couple of gallons in the tank do not evaporate overnight. But if you parked your electric vehicle outside, in the cold, with very little range remaining, there may be no range left the following morning because of the power consumed overnight by the car, trying to keep the battery from getting too cold.

I observed this happening with the Ford Lightning I test drove last week. It lost an indicated 20 miles of range, just sitting outside (unplugged-in) from Sunday afternoon to Tuesday morning.

Of course, you could avoid that by just plugging it in before you leave it for the night. But what if – as happened here last night – the power goes out? Perhaps – in our “electrified” future – because so many other electric vehicles were plugged in to the grid, all of them sucking power to keep their batteries from freezing? Now you freeze – if there’s a blackout and your home is heated electrically.

You’re also stuck in your freezing home – because your electric car is range-kaput because the power went out.

Lucky for me, I have my truck – and a five gallon jug of gas. The power can be out all day – and may well be. But I won’t be stuck, even though the Mach e is.

I think I’ll hang on to my truck.

Addendum: The power is still out as of late Friday afternoon and so the Mach e is still inert. But we just came back from a drive into town to get some things at Lowes and so on. If all we’d have to rely on for transportation was the electric car, we’d have been housebound all day.

Possibly tomorrow, too.

Welcome to the “electrified” future of transportation!
    “Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.” - Arnold Toynbee

This $hit is coming back.

Pick your alternative..there are several..

Produce your own Power and stop Paying people that Hate you.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

@Anti Federalist

I am following perhaps the Ultimate Personal Freedom Vehicle,, it is Electric, and is Built mostly from Petrol.. A long term use of Oil.

and there is a lot of other such uses ,,aside from burning it at 10 miles a gal.

Look at the Vehicle and IGNORE the "Green Propaganda..(selling point to those believers) Look from an engineering and Efficiency stand point.

https://aptera.us/

The Whole car is Carbon Fiber and Fiber Glass,,Polyurethane,, it is built from Oil. just a more efficient use of it.

p.s. this whole car weighs less than the eHummer Battery pack,, and goes further.
    Last edited by pcosmar; 12-18-2022 at 12:23 PM.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

DIY,personal Freedom

Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

8. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Recent photo of pcosmar and family, out and about:

This vehicle makes no sense:

... but I'd still rather have that than a Tesla. Caddy, you cray-cray!!

Wind energy company pleads guilty after at least 150 eagles killed in U.S.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...m_npd_nn_fb_ma

April 7, 2022, 6:52 AM EDT / Source: Associated Press
    By The Associated Press
    BILLINGS, Mont. — A subsidiary of one of the largest U.S. providers of renewable energy pleaded guilty to criminal charges and was ordered to pay over $8 million in fines and restitution after at least 150 eagles were killed at its wind farms in eight states, federal prosecutors said.

NextEra Energy subsidiary ESI Energy was also sentenced to five years probation after being charged with three counts of violating the Migratory Bird Treaty Act during a court appearance in Cheyenne, Wyoming. The charges arose from the deaths of nine eagles at three wind farms in Wyoming and New Mexico.

In addition to those deaths, the company acknowledged the deaths of golden and bald eagles at 50 wind farms affiliated with ESI and NextEra since 2012, prosecutors said. Birds were killed in eight states: Wyoming, California, New Mexico, North Dakota, Colorado, Michigan, Arizona and Illinois.

NextEra, based in Juno Beach, Florida, bills itself as the world’s largest utility company by market value. It has more than 100 wind farms in the U.S. and Canada and also generates natural gas, nuclear and solar power.

Almost all of the eagles killed at the NextEra subsidiary’s facilities were struck by the blades of wind turbines, prosecutors said. Some turbines killed multiple eagles and because the carcasses are not always found, officials said the number killed was likely higher than the 150 birds cited in court documents.

Prosecutors said the company’s failure to take steps to protect eagles or to obtain permits to kill the birds gave it an advantage over competitors that did take such steps — even as ESI and other NextEra affiliates received hundreds of millions of dollars in federal tax credits from the wind power they produced.

NextEra spokesperson Steven Stengel said the company didn’t seek permits because it believes the law didn’t require them for unintentional bird deaths. The company said its guilty plea will resolve all allegations over past fatalities and allow it to move forward without a continued threat of prosecution.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Prosecutors said the company’s failure to take steps to protect eagles or to obtain permits to kill the birds gave it an advantage over competitors that did take such steps — even as ESI and other NextEra affiliates received hundreds of millions of dollars in federal tax credits from the wind power they produced.

NextEra spokesperson Steven Stengel said the company didn’t seek permits because it believes the law didn’t require them for unintentional bird deaths. The company said its guilty plea will resolve all allegations over past fatalities and allow it to move forward without a continued threat of prosecution.
    IOW: They weren't letting certain apparatchik bureaucracies "wet their beaks" (ha-ha) - but it's all good now that the right palms are being crossed.

I want to know how and why these ugly monsters became the official windmill design, and why everyone is acting like nothing else will do. There are windmill designs that don't slaughter birds, because birds can see them to avoid them.

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

"And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

German Govt Wants to Remote Control Home Heat, Electric Car Charge

https://www.breitbart.com/europe/202...rnment-scheme/

PETER CADDLE 25 Dec 2022

A government agency in Germany has announced a new scheme that will see power suppliers able to remotely limit home heating and electric car charging.

Germany’s Federal Network Agency, a government watchdog responsible for the regulation of electricity and gas in the country, has announced a new plan that will allow power grid operators to remotely limit the use of heat pumps and electric car chargers in Germany next winter without the user’s permission.

With the plans set to be put in place by January 2024, the measure has been described as a way of ensuring energy grid operators have the ability to artificially curb electricity demand should consumption outstrip supply.

According to a report on the new scheme penned by Die Welt, the plan has been drawn up in response to the German energy grid being put under more and more strain by an increasing number of electric car chargers and people using more ‘environmentally friendly’ but electricity-intense heat pumps in their homes.

Such an increased demand reportedly cannot be caught up to with increased supply, at least in the short term, meaning that authorities within the Federal Network Agency believe that remote consumption restrictions must be rolled out on certain devices.

As a result, the agency reportedly says that an “acceptance of necessary comfort restrictions” on the part of the general public is now required, with it to be mandated that heat pumps — often used to heat homes and hot water — as well as electric car chargers, become remotely controllable by energy grid operators.

While there is no suggestion as of now that such devices will ever be able to be remotely turned off completely, the Federal Network Agency aims to make it mandatory that such devices can be remotely limited to as low as 3.7 kilowatts to enable what has been euphemistically described as “peak smoothing”.

Such a limitation would cripple the effectiveness of many devices, with Die Welt saying that would make it take as long as three hours to charge an electric car enough for it to travel up to 50 kilometres (around 31 miles).

This problem may be partially limited by the fact that Germany is ultimately unlikely to see as many electric cars on the road as the leftist government wants, with experts expecting targets set by authorities to ultimately fall flat.

According to a report by Politico, researchers believe that the country’s aim of having 15 million battery vehicles in operation by 2030 is ultimately a “pipe dream”, with one professor suggesting the final figure will end up being less than half that.

The remote control measures, which the Federal Network Agency supposedly aims to see up and running by January 2024, will likely be in place by the middle of next winter, during which Germany is likely to see even greater energy issues that it is currently struggling with now.

Earlier this month, both the EU Commission President, Ursula von der Leyen, and the International Energy Agency warned that, while the entire bloc would likely be able to make it through the energy crisis this winter, it faces a significant gas shortfall in the tens of billions of cubic meters next year that it still needs to fill.

Despite this, the planned restrictions on car chargers have reportedly upset Germany’s automotive industry, with one industry leader, President of the Association of the Automotive Industry Hildegard Müller, saying it does not provide “intelligent incentives” for authorities to “prevent local network overloads before they occur”.

However, Germany may encounter serious energy issues long before such great reset plans fall into place, with the Federal Network Agency’s head, Klaus Müller, warning earlier this week that the country is burning through its gas reserve far faster than initially budgeted for.

“We don’t have to ring the alarm after two or three weeks like now. But it must not go on like this for the whole of January and February,” he said, warning that the country was only saving 5 per cent of gas compared to the previous year, when the figure needed to be closer to 20 per cent.

He went on to say that, while there was no need to panic just yet, greater savings needed to be made over the coming months, despite the fact that they are more often cooler than December.

17. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Germany’s Federal Network Agency, a government watchdog responsible for the regulation of electricity and gas in the country, has announced a new plan that will allow power grid operators to remotely limit the use of heat pumps and electric car chargers in Germany next winter without the user’s permission.
    Using what?

"Smart" meters.

Zimbabwe’s government has imposed strict restrictions on the export of raw lithium, in an effort to reduce black market sales and prevent foreign firms from profiting by shipping off billions of dollars worth of the mineral.

More at: https://www.thefinancialtrends.com/2...ithium-export/
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Zimbabwe’s government has imposed strict restrictions on the export of raw lithium, in an effort to reduce black market sales and prevent foreign firms from profiting by shipping off billions of dollars worth of the mineral.

More at: https://www.thefinancialtrends.com/2...ithium-export/
    Not even a impact..Zimbabwe is not a "leading" Producer.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...ut-of-lithium/

Just wait till the Space Industry needs it for Ion Drive Engines.
    Last edited by pcosmar; 12-26-2022 at 09:09 AM.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

And just because I am tired of hearing Stupid $hit.

The Applications Of Lithium

Rechargeable batteries for a variety of devices like mobile phones, laptops, digital camera and more utilize lithium. Certain non-rechargeable batteries for items like clocks and pacemakers also make use of the metal. Lithium metal can also to form alloys with aluminum or magnesium, which is used for armor plating and in aircraft, bicycles, and trains. Lithium carbonate is used in the field of making glass and ceramics. It is also involved in producing aluminum. Lithium stearate is used in cosmetics, plastics, and its grease is used in aircraft and marine applications as well as other areas.
    https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/...the-world.html
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

https://twitter.com/orwell2022/statu...29868370956288

You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    Yeah but don't you know that someone in northeast PA was able to light his water on fire because his well was drilled through coal bed methane deposits and not because of fracking and that is a horror upon which no one should be visited and clearly a worse thing that whatever that punjabi guy is saying?

[QUOTE=acptulsa;7152029]https://twitter.com/orwell2022/statu...29868370956288

A GAS CAR WON'T RUN AT THAT TEMP. an lead acid won't start a car at that temp,, and fuel lines freeze. Diesel turns to Gel..
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

[QUOTE=pcosmar;7152041]
    Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    https://twitter.com/orwell2022/statu...29868370956288

A GAS CAR WON'T RUN AT THAT TEMP. an lead acid won't start a car at that temp,, and fuel lines freeze. Diesel turns to Gel..
    It will definitely run. The difficulty is getting it to run, not to keep it running. Also, various things can help with that.
    "I am a bird"

26. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    [QUOTE=luctor-et-emergo;7152042]
    Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post

It will definitely run. The difficulty is getting it to run, not to keep it running. Also, various things can help with that.
    I lived in the UP..

I have had to wait till temp came up to 0,,to start cars.
    Last edited by pcosmar; 12-27-2022 at 09:12 AM.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

I lived in the UP..

I have had to wait till temp came up to 0,,to start cars.
    To 0? What kind of garbage vehicles do you run? I live in the Appalachians. I've started ICE vehicles when the actual temp was -40F - I think it was 2016, and we had 4 feet of snow.

Plus, once it's running, a tank of gas is a tank of gas... not dependent upon the temperature like these EV's.

Quote Originally Posted by A Son of Liberty View Post
    To 0? What kind of garbage vehicles do you run? I live in the Appalachians. I've started ICE vehicles when the actual temp was -40F - I think it was 2016, and we had 4 feet of snow.

Plus, once it's running, a tank of gas is a tank of gas... not dependent upon the temperature like these EV's.
    Lead acid Batteries are useless at -20F.

Fuel tanks collect water.. and Fuel Thickens....frozen of thickened,,not gonna run till it warms...

and even Canada -40 is a rare or never seen temp.. Perhaps the Antarctic.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

Lead acid Batteries are useless at -20F.

Fuel tanks collect water.. and Fuel Thickens....frozen of thickened,,not gonna run till it warms...

and even Canada -40 is a rare or never seen temp.. Perhaps the Antarctic.
    Our corporate headquarters is in Montana. It was -37F there just last week, yet my co-workers there made it to work in their ICE vehicles somehow. What the F are you talking about?

Yes, fuel tanks condense... people who are familiar with living in cold temps know to keep their fuel tanks full because of that. And, by the way, 0F doesn't change that.

Also, because you've insinuated that I'm lying about the temperatures I've experienced here in the mountains, I'll go prove you wrong. Yes, -40F is rare here, but it has happened.

Also, because you've insinuated that I'm lying about the temperatures I've experienced here in the mountains, I'll go prove you wrong. Yes, -40F is rare here, but it has happened.
    Wind Chill Temps..

I grew up in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan.. Heated a 4br Farmhouse through the Polar Vortex a few years back..

Never seen -40 except "wind chill factor".

And kept my sled plugged in to electricity so I could start it in the Morning..

takes a Block Warmer and a trickle charge at 0, to start in the morning.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

Wind Chill Temps..

I grew up in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan.. Heated a 4br Farmhouse through the Polar Vortex a few years back..

Never seen -40 except "wind chill factor".

And kept my sled plugged in to electricity so I could start it in the Morning..

takes a Block Warmer and a trickle charge at 0, to start in the morning.
    They were not wind chill temps - we were working on rigs in SW PA... I think it was actually 2013 or 2014 - the real temp hit -40F. I've been looking through weather history sites but I can't remember the date that it hit that temperature. Whether you believe me or not, I don't care... we kept working, and our vehicles kept running.

A block warmer is for a diesel engine - most of these vehicles were gasoline engines, and they all turned over.

Also, I just told you it was -37F in Montana last week... you think I'm making that up? I talk to people out there every day.

I'm not sure what world you're living in. These are real temps, and they happen all the time.

You're deluding yourself about these EV's. Period.

You're deluding yourself about these EV's. Period.
    Ok

I am seeing more around,, so apparently they Do Phucking Work..

go kick rocks
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

35. Remove this section of ads by registering.
Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast