Thread: Build a $3000 "Telsa Powerwall" Battery for $300

Build a $3000 "Telsa Powerwall" Battery for $300

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TESLA_FINAL.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	232.0 KB 
ID:	5162

Telsa Powerwall technology revolves around "18650" size lithium batteries.

90% of the retail cost is marketing and hype.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BatteryComparison1.JPG 
Views:	0 
Size:	564.6 KB 
ID:	5161
    Last edited by presence; 08-23-2016 at 07:40 AM.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Well.. If you add labor cost, cost of factory, machines, development, packaging, marketing etc. Oh, and some profit.. You'll probably end up at the Tesla figure... Which isn't too unreasonable I think.

BTW, would insurance companies pay out if your house burns down due to a homemade battery pack? If I had one of these Tesla batteries or any other large quantity of those kinds of cells I'd keep them away from my house... Maybe in a shed that's far enough away in case the thing decides to burst into flame.
    Last edited by luctor-et-emergo; 08-23-2016 at 08:02 AM.
    "I am a bird"

Quote Originally Posted by luctor-et-emergo View Post
    Well.. If you add labor cost, cost of factory, machines, development, packaging, marketing etc. Oh, and some profit.. You'll probably end up at the Tesla figure... Which isn't too unreasonable I think.
    I take it you didn't watch the video. If you did you'd know the Tesla powerwalls are on back order so if you want one you need to DIY.

BTW, would insurance companies pay out if your house burns down due to a homemade battery pack? If I had one of these Tesla batteries or any other large quantity of those kinds of cells I'd keep them away from my house... Maybe in a shed that's far enough away in case the thing decides to burst into flame.
    If an insurance company is so lame that they won't insure you for wiring a bunch of batteries together then they suck and you should be insured by somebody else. What's next? "Don't reload your own ammo because it might catch fire and you won't be insured?"
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by jmdrake View Post
    I take it you didn't watch the video. If you did you'd know the Tesla powerwalls are on back order so if you want one you need to DIY.
    Yeah I saw that but what does that have to do with my comment ? I merely pointed out that the $3000 figure isn't too bad.

If an insurance company is so lame that they won't insure you for wiring a bunch of batteries together then they suck and you should be insured by somebody else. What's next? "Don't reload your own ammo because it might catch fire and you won't be insured?"
    Calculated risks, which is why I wouldn't put a large amount of those cells inside my house.
    "I am a bird"

Yeah I saw that but what does that have to do with my comment ? I merely pointed out that the $3000 figure isn't too bad.
    Because you can't even by one for $3,000 if they aren't available? And "bad" is relative. I don't think anybody said it was $3,000 was an unreasonable price. But building a $3,000 device for $300 means you're saving a lot of money. If you like saving money, really would like one of these house batteries, and have the skill to do this safely, why not? It's like any DIY project.

Calculated risks, which is why I wouldn't put a large amount of those cells inside my house.
    Minuscule risk. Your house is more likely to burn down from someone forgetting to turn off something on the stove. And I was specifically responding to your point about insurance companies rather than your own "risk calculation." If you don't want to take such a tiny risk then that's certainly your prerogative. But an insurance company that wouldn't insure someone over a powerwall, be it factory made or DIY, isn't worth doing business with IMO.
    Last edited by jmdrake; 08-23-2016 at 09:43 AM.

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

I thought this was really cool! And sometimes it is said it's too difficult to build an electric charging infrastructure. These could easily be setup at parking lots and maybe a quick charging version at gas stations.
    I just want objectivity on this forum and will point out flawed sources or points of view at my leisure.

Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 01/15/24
    Trump will win every single state primary by double digits.
    Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 04/20/16
    There won't be a contested convention
    Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 05/30/17
    The shooting of Gabrielle Gifford was blamed on putting a crosshair on a political map. I wonder what event we'll see justified with pictures like this.

I am a solar professional and the Tesla price point is very very good. As for insuring a DIY battery bank, in a perfect world you would have a company willing to underwrite that but I doubt you could find any insurer currently in the marketplace who would be willing to take that risk. This type of battery technology can be a very serious fire risk if you dont do everything right.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruehound View Post
    I am a solar professional and the Tesla price point is very very good. As for insuring a DIY battery bank, in a perfect world you would have a company willing to underwrite that but I doubt you could find any insurer currently in the marketplace who would be willing to take that risk. This type of battery technology can be a very serious fire risk if you dont do everything right.
    If you have fire insurance and your insurance carrier doesn't specifically exclude experimental electronics (and they probably don't but you should read the fine print) then you will probably be covered. Again, the normal electric or gas cook stove in most homes is more of a fire risk because a lot of people will start cooking something, get distracted and then not come back unto it until the smoke alarm is going off.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by jmdrake View Post
    If you have fire insurance and your insurance carrier doesn't specifically exclude experimental electronics (and they probably don't but you should read the fine print) then you will probably be covered. Again, the normal electric or gas cook stove in most homes is more of a fire risk because a lot of people will start cooking something, get distracted and then not come back unto it until the smoke alarm is going off.
    I'm right there with you that insurance companies should in theory provide insurance for such purposes. My question however was if they were likely to do so right now. I do not know the market in this regard.

I wouldn't say a normal gas stove has more of a fire risk. It's a completely different fire risk.
    "I am a bird"

I'm right there with you that insurance companies should in theory provide insurance for such purposes. My question however was if they were likely to do so right now. I do not know the market in this regard.
    Fair enough. My argument is this. It's unlikely that the big insurance companies have paid enough attention to the "home battery" market to put a disclaimer in their policies such that you wouldn't be covered. Without such a disclaimer you are covered by default.

I wouldn't say a normal gas stove has more of a fire risk. It's a completely different fire risk.
    I would say that a normal gas stove or electric stove is most certainly more of a fire risk. Yes it's a different risk. It's a worse risk. On top of manufacturer defect, you have a bigger risk of operator error. Again...someone puts some oil in a skillet to heat up to fire something (pancakes, chicken, whatever), gets called away and forget about it, grease fire ensues, person mistakenly throws water on the grease fire....that actually happens more than you'd think.