Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3-year-old Russian boy killed by American adoptive mother in Texas

3-year-old Russian boy killed by American adoptive mother in Texas

http://rt.com/news/russian-child-killed-texas-496/

After being brutally beaten by his American adoptive mother, who gave him psychotropic medication for an extended period of time, a 3-year-old Russian boy named

Maksim

has died in Texas, Russian diplomats have said.

Russia’s Investigative Committee has launched a probe into the death of Maksim Kuzmin at the hands of his adoptive American family.

The boy died before medics, called by his adoptive mother, arrived at the scene. An autopsy showed that he suffered multiple injuries to his head, limb, abdomen and internal organs prior to death.

The investigation revealed that Maksim was beaten by his adoptive mother, who had also fed him strong psychotropic medication. The boy was given Risperdal, an anti-psychotic drug mainly used for short-term treatment of schizophrenia and bilateral disorders and approved for prescription in the US with the starting age of 10.

this comes 30 days after:
    Russia's adoption ban harms kids - CNN.com
    Jan 17, 2013 – Children living in orphan institutions need world leaders who would not use them as political pawns, says Laura Jean.
    Last edited by presence; 02-18-2013 at 03:26 PM.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Why do they not mention the parents' names??

Quote Originally Posted by fr33 View Post
    Why do they not mention the parents' names??
    Maksim AKA
    Max Alan Shatto of Ector County, Texas, who died on Jan 21 was removed from the website of Owens Memorial Funeral Home in Ruston, Lousiana, on Monday. The notice identified his parents as Alan and Laura Shatto.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...w-with-US.html

Max Alan Shatto, 3, of Gardendale, passed away Monday, January 21, 2013. The family will receive friends from 3:00 pm to 5:00 pm, Saturday, January 26, 2013 at Nalley-Pickle & Welch Funeral Home & Crematory in Midland. Max was born January 9, 2010 in Pskov, Russia. Survivors include parents, Alan and Laura Shatto of Gardendale; brother, Kristopher Elvin Shatto of Gardendale; maternal grandmother, Peggy Atkins Worley of Ruston, LA; uncles and aunts, John and Betty Carlisle of Bossier City, LA, Sandi and Terry Lawson of Clay, LA, Ken and Dawn Blalock of Ruston, LA, and Doug Worley of Castor, LA; and several nieces, nephews and cousins. Arrangements are under the direction of Nalley-Pickle & Welch Funeral Home & Crematory of Midland. Online condolences can be made at: www.npwelch.com
    http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/myw...17#fbLoggedOut

address and phone if you like:
    www.whitepages.com
    Laura L Shatto, Alan G Shatto
    Gardendale TX

Profession
    http://www.intelius.com/people/Alan-Shatto/06ts465tyey
    http://www.zoominfo.com/#!search/pro...rgetid=profile

send pm if you need mothers maiden name...
    Last edited by presence; 02-18-2013 at 05:08 PM.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

DALLAS (AP) — Russian authorities have blamed "inhuman treatment" for the death of a 3-year-old boy adopted by an American family, but Texas officials say they are still investigating claims that the child was abused before his death.

Russia's Investigative Committee said Monday that it had questions about the death of an adoptee authorities identified as Maxim Kuzmin. The committee is the country's top investigative agency.
    Texas Child Protective Services spokesman Patrick Crimmins confirmed the agency had received a report on Jan. 21 of the death of a 3-year-old named Max Shatto, and that the Ector County Sheriff's Office in West Texas was investigating.
    Crimmins said CPS had received allegations of physical abuse and neglect, but had not determined whether those allegations were true. Sgt. Gary Duesler, spokesman for the Ector County Sheriff's Office, said no arrests have been made and authorities are waiting for autopsy results.
    An obituary for Max Shatto published Jan. 26 by the Midland Reporter-Telegram says he was born on Jan. 9, 2010, in the town of Pskov, near Russia's western border with Estonia. The boy lived with a family in Gardendale, about 350 miles west of Dallas, before his death on Jan. 21, according to the obituary.
    The boy's listed adoptive parents, Alan and Laura Shatto, did not return a phone message Monday.
    The death comes weeks after Russia announced it was banning all American adoptions in retaliation for a new U.S. law targeting alleged Russian human-rights violators. The ban also reflects lingering resentment over the 60,000 Russian children adopted by Americans in the past two decades, of which at least 19 have died.
    Russian Foreign Ministry official Konstantin Dolgov said in a statement that the boy's death was "yet another case of inhuman treatment of a Russian child adopted by American parents."
    Duesler said he could not immediately confirm or deny Russian allegations of abuse. Most U.S. government offices were closed Monday in observance of a federal holiday.
    Dolgov also accused the U.S. Department of State of not helping Russian consular officials investigate the death. The State Department declined to comment. Crimmins said the consulate had contacted Child Protective Services.
    http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ryId=172339144

there are plenty of kids that need adopting in the USA.. wtf are people adopting from russia and china for?... no offense for anyone here who adopted russian/chinese children.

Quote Originally Posted by alucard13mmfmj View Post
    there are plenty of kids that need adopting in the USA.. wtf are people adopting from russia and china for?... no offense for anyone here who adopted russian/chinese children.
    I'm just going to guess that government regulations and red tape might be one big reason.

I don't like what Russia has done in cutting off adoptions to the US. When they passed it they mainly based it off one extreme case of abuse and ignored all the happy homes. The US media plays a big role in this. If you watch the media you think we are all crazy violent people. If it bleeds it leads.

I don't really understand the trend either. Even Laura Ingraham (fascist talk radio chica) adopted 2. I read several months ago that putin is trying to stop foreign adopters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

I am outraged that the poor has being killed Maybe Russia has a point. Only the wealthy elite keep adopting It was a little easier in the 80s and early 90s of adopting.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Why is this woman giving antipsychotics to a 3 year old? Of course they seem mentally unstable... they are 3 years old.

I agree that I do not see the need to adopt people from outside of the United States. I have heard so many horror stories about foster care system in this country from people who grew up in it. Widespread sexual abuse, molestation, sexual assault and rape. However you want to call it, it happens and it happens a lot from what I am told, and not just in a few isolated families. These kids need real parents, not foster parents who are only in it for the money and the abuse. My apologies if I offended anyone who is a legitimate foster parent.

Dollars and effort. Adopting domestic kids is often a $40,000 and 2 year legal task in the US. Different countries offer cheaper/faster imports. China is known for stealing second kids from parents and shipping them out of the country.

But you can't buy babies, that's unethical...

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    I don't really understand the trend either. Even Laura Ingraham (fascist talk radio chica) adopted 2. I read several months ago that putin is trying to stop foreign adopters.
    Give me a frickin' break. Laura Ingraham is NOT fascist. When you throw around terms like that so carelessly, it makes this website look ridiculous.
    ================
    Open Borders: A Libertarian Reappraisal or why only dumbasses and cultural marxists are for it.

Cultural Marxism: The Corruption of America

The Property Basis of Rights

What "plenty"? Most are being aborted.
    ================
    Open Borders: A Libertarian Reappraisal or why only dumbasses and cultural marxists are for it.

This feeds my misanthropic streak.

Quote Originally Posted by presence View Post
    Dollars and effort. Adopting domestic kids is often a $40,000 and 2 year legal task in the US. Different countries offer cheaper/faster imports. China is known for stealing second kids from parents and shipping them out of the country.

But you can't buy babies, that's unethical.
    What do you mean? An adoption agency has to pay for all manner of things to offer its service. Unless its a non-profit, there's no way for an agency to get around "selling" the babies.
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Quote Originally Posted by LibertyEagle View Post
    What "plenty"? Most are being aborted.
    Is that really true? Sounds wrong to me. There are certainly too many, but I'd like to see proof that "most" are aborted. (I'm pro-life in every sense of the term, btw, so don't read anything into my question)

Is that really true? Sounds wrong to me. There are certainly too many, but I'd like to see proof that "most" are aborted. (I'm pro-life in every sense of the term, btw, so don't read anything into my question)
    There are plenty of older children, but not babies. At least that is my understanding.
    ================

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    A friend of mine wanted to adapt a seven year old girl. The mother is your stereotypical heroin addict who doesn't make all of her visits and has with kids all over CPS. It took over a year and 30,000 to adapt.

What do you mean? An adoption agency has to pay for all manner of things to offer its service. Unless its a non-profit, there's no way for an agency to get around "selling" the babies.
    Call it what you will. It costs 40 large to buy a kid. The lawyers, agencies, home study etc. are making a profit.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q...LKfJ2V_FWIXflA

What was it you meant about ingraham? Fascist how so? Support for Keystone?

Call it what you will. It costs 40 large to buy a kid. The lawyers, agencies, home study etc. are making a profit.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q...LKfJ2V_FWIXflA

What was it you meant about ingraham? Fascist how so? Support for Keystone?
    First, according to your link, Intercountry Adoptions $15,000 - $30,000, not 40k. Second, are you saying this is bad? If so, why? There's a lot of cost involved in this sort of thing. As I mentioned before, only non-profits can afford to eat that kind of loss. (and I don't think .org's normally have the cash and capital necessary anyway...though I could be mistaken) Third, I withdraw my comment about Ingraham. I hold a grudge against her for several things I won't get into here, and shouldn't have said that. I let my emotions get in the way, sorry.

It's just hearsay but everyone tells me if we want to adopt in the US; plan on paying $30k at least.

That's actually not true. Most of the kids that are adoptable are special needs, or older. The welfare system has dramatically reduced the number of adoptable infants, as well as the disappearing stigma of being a single mother. Add to that the increasing willingness of people to adopt the children of their extended family and of course, abortion on demand ....there is a shortage of adoptable kids in this country.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/NEWS/...doors_ST_U.htm

Quote Originally Posted by MRK View Post
    Why is this woman giving antipsychotics to a 3 year old? Of course they seem mentally unstable... they are 3 years old.
    I'm certainly not going to defend a woman who killed a 3 year old. But a lot of the children from the old Soviet bloc countries come from massive group homes, where the babies get almost no human contact until they're adopted. It really can cause severe psychological damage. Of course the adoptive parents aren't told about this, and can be entirely unprepared to deal with it.

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    That's actually not true. Most of the kids that are adoptable are special needs, or older. The welfare system has dramatically reduced the number of adoptable infants, as well as the disappearing stigma of being a single mother. Add to that the increasing willingness of people to adopt the children of their extended family and of course, abortion on demand ....there is a shortage of adoptable kids in this country.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/NEWS/...doors_ST_U.htm
    And birth control. When the post-war Era of Mass Surrender came to a close circa 1972, birth control played a big part. But even back then, social pressure was put upon single, white, middle class women to surrender infants. Minority women were expected to keep their babies, and since they were not in high demand, they did.
    In this world nothing is certain but death and taxes.

First, according to your link, Intercountry Adoptions $15,000 - $30,000, not 40k. Second, are you saying this is bad? If so, why? There's a lot of cost involved in this sort of thing.
    Costs of adopting may be minimal or can
    total more than $40,000, depending on a
    number of factors.
    These numbers also do not include the costs of failed adoptions. My neighbor had $30k in multiple failed adoption costs before spending another $30k actually adopting. All (I'll bend... most) of the "costs involved in this sort of thing" are "regulated" costs. The state should enforce contracts between parties, not impose costly terms. Imagine if we had to pay the state $5000 before we got a new pet. How do we know you won't abuse the pet? Surely we should regulate costly programs to prove competence.

As I mentioned before, only non-profits can afford to eat that kind of loss. (and I don't think .org's normally have the cash and capital necessary anyway...though I could be mistaken)
    Truthfully, in most cases, adoptive families; that are taking on the burden of unwanted children, eat that loss... and most of it has to be CASH. So are only wealthy families capable of caring for children? I certainly couldn't just drop $10, $20, $30, or $50k to buy a kid; but I'm doing a damn fine job of raising my own.

Third, I withdraw my comment about Ingraham. I hold a grudge against her for several things I won't get into here, and shouldn't have said that. I let my emotions get in the way, sorry.
    I thought you were out on a limb there with "fascist".

----------------------------

Let me just throw something out there on the subject of government involvement in adoption costs. Amongst that $30k I mentioned in "failed adoption costs"...one of the kids they tried to adopt... they signed all the papers, paid for the home studies, paid for this, paid for that, PAID FOR THE CHILD TO BE DELIVERED AT A HOSPITAL, paid an additional $2k in birth expenses to the mother.

Then the mother backed out during delivery, with $2k in cash in her pocket for "birth expenses" kept her kid and bought a used car. The state says that's her right.

Seems fair /sarcasm
    Last edited by presence; 02-19-2013 at 08:09 AM.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    (snip)
    ----------------------------

Let me just throw something out there on the subject of government involvement in adoption costs. Amongst that $30k I mentioned in "failed adoption costs"...one of the kids they tried to adopt... they signed all the papers, paid for the home studies, paid for this, paid for that, PAID FOR THE CHILD TO BE DELIVERED AT A HOSPITAL, paid an additional $2k in birth expenses to the mother.

Then the mother backed out during delivery, with $2k in cash in her pocket for "birth expenses" kept her kid and bought a used car. The state says that's her right.

Seems fair /sarcasm

I know this will be hard to believe, but the prospective adoptive parents who came before them and their agencies and lawyers, of course, lobbied to make this possible.

You can't buy children. So, how can you get that $$$ carrot to the expectant mother? Well, approve certain expenses to be paid by the prospective adoptive parents, BUT with no strings attached. Their gamble. Their loss.

It's insane, I know. But it's what they wanted. I watched it play out myself as a legislative intern in the 90s.

Their gamble. Their loss.
    Crazy is what I say.

Not only do we have prohibitive "adoption costs" with the currently regulatory scheme, we have people in fact GAMBLING for children.

Crazy is what I say.

Not only do we have prohibitive "adoption costs" with the currently regulatory scheme, we have people in fact GAMBLING for children.
    Uh huh.

There have been so many changes to adoption throughout the years. This interview on youtube is a really good place to begin understanding how those changes progressed through the years. The focus, however, is less on today's style of adoption and more on the thoughts of those who initially affected the change.

It's a 5-part interview. I think it should play through them all. Maybe

There appears to have been another child placed, and Russia wants him back:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/...0da_story.html

Pavel Astakhov, Russia’s children’s ombudsman and fervent opponent of foreign adoptions, told reporters Monday evening that Maxim had been beaten and given heavy psychiatric drugs. Konstantin Dolgov, the Foreign Ministry’s human rights officer, said he had died Jan. 21 “after being cruelly treated.”

By Tuesday morning, Russia’s top investigatory agency was demanding a role in the inquiry, the governor of Pskov was insisting that the U.S. family return Max’s 2-year-old brother to Russia and a legislator was calling for a stop to the last few American adoptions underway.
    more at the link.

If you don't trust everything the US government says you shouldn't trust everything the Russian government says either.

Don't know the true facts of this case but pretty confident 99.99% of American adoptive parents don't beat their kids to death (whether they adopt Americans or Russians or Chinese). Don't think this case is a reason for or against Americans adopting Russians.

Also why are the Russian authorities pursuing this case so aggressively? Do Americans usually not prosecute parents who beat and kill their children? I'd argue they do.
    Ron Paul: "For those who have asked, I freely confess that Jesus Christ is my personal Savior, and that I seek His guidance in all that I do."

Quote Originally Posted by BlackTerrel View Post
    If you don't trust everything the US government says you shouldn't trust everything the Russian government says either.

Don't know the true facts of this case but pretty confident 99.99% of American adoptive parents don't beat their kids to death (whether they adopt Americans or Russians or Chinese). Don't think this case is a reason for or against Americans adopting Russians.

Also why are the Russian authorities pursuing this case so aggressively? Do Americans usually not prosecute parents who beat and kill their children? I'd argue they do.
    Russians haven't tried to hide the fact that they're not impressed and haven't been for several years. I think the little boy returned on the plane was a firm smack in the face as far as they were concerned, but it was neither the first nor the last problem. The bottom line is that Americans aren't entitled to Russian kids, and if the Russians do not wish to send them here, they are not in any way obligated.

Asking for the return of this child is new. That may get interesting if they pursue it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast