Thread: Former NY Fed Chief Urges Federal Reserve to Sway Election Against Trump

Former NY Fed Chief Urges Federal Reserve to Sway Election Against Trump

Former NY Fed Chief Urges Federal Reserve to Sway Election Against Trump

SEAN MORAN 27 Aug 2019

Former New York Federal Reserve President Bill Dudley urged his former colleagues on Tuesday not to help President Donald Trump in his trade war against China. He even urged the central bank to consider how its monetary policy might impact the 2020 presidential election.
    Dudley urged Federal Reserve officials not to lower interest rates as a backstop while the president continues his battle against China. Trump has recently increased tariffs on Chinese goods and has called on the nation’s central bank to sharply lower interest rates to help fight the trade war against China.

“Central bank officials face a choice: enable the Trump administration to continue down a disastrous path of trade war escalation, or send a clear signal that if the administration does so, the president, not the Fed, will bear the risks — including the risk of losing the next election,” Dudley wrote in a post for Bloomberg.

The former New York Federal Reserve bank president said that the Fed could and should try to influence the election against the sitting president. Mainstream economists often assert that the Federal Reserve has to stay independent from political influence.

Dudley said:

After all, Trump’s reelection arguably presents a threat to the U.S. and global economy, to the Fed’s independence and its ability to achieve its employment and inflation objectives. If the goal of monetary policy is to achieve the best long-term economic outcome, then Fed officials should consider how their decisions will affect the political outcome in 2020.

Trump has attacked the nation’s central bank over its reluctance to ease interest rates in the wake of the trade war with China. Recently, the president asked who the bigger enemy is: Chinese President Xi Jinping or Federal Reserve Chairman Jerome Powell.
    President Trump tweeted Tuesday, “The Federal Reserve loves watching our manufacturers struggle with their exports to the benefit of other parts of the world. Has anyone looked at what almost all other countries are doing to take advantage of the good old USA? Our Fed has been calling it wrong for too long”:

Dudley suggested that the Federal Reserve should not accommodate Trump’s “bad choices” on trade policy.

“Officials could state explicitly that the central bank won’t bail out an administration that keeps making bad choices on trade policy, making it abundantly clear that Trump will own the consequences of his actions,” Dudley said.
    https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...zen.yandex.com
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Is this supposed to make anyone feel sorry for Trump?

They would hijack the economy in order to defeat Trump?

Don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows

Quote Originally Posted by shakey1 View Post
    They would hijack the economy in order to defeat Trump?
    They've already hijacked the economy. That happened a long time ago.

This is just part of the ongoing argument between the hijackers about the direction in which they should presently abscond.
    Last edited by Occam's Banana; 08-29-2019 at 09:29 AM.
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    They've already hijacked the economy.

This is just an argument between the hijackers about the direction in which they should abscond.

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Occam's Banana again."
    Chris

"Government ... does not exist of necessity, but rather by virtue of a tragic, almost comical combination of klutzy, opportunistic terrorism against sitting ducks whom it pretends to shelter, plus our childish phobia of responsibility, praying to be exempted from the hard reality of life on life's terms." Wolf DeVoon

"...Make America Great Again. I'm interested in making American FREE again. Then the greatness will come automatically."Ron Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    They've already hijacked the economy.

This is just an argument between the hijackers about the direction in which they should abscond.
    Maybe it will be a double KO. (I'm not seriously being that hopeful)
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    This is getting silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    It started silly.
    T.S. Eliot's The Hollow Men

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

We Are Running Out of Time - Mini Me

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm
    I part ways with "libertarianism" when it transitions from ideology grounded in logic into self-defeating autism for the sake of ideological purity.

If they really wanted to threaten Trump a more effective move would be to refuse to print any more dollars, declare they will no longer set interest rates, and encourage the government to adopt the gold standard.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    INDEPENDANT
    MEANS
    YOUR BOSS

OUR GBBERMINT HAS A BOSS AND IT AINT US...

THAT
    MAKE us
    SUBORDINATE
    TO A PRIVATE BANK

who rules barter town?
    FLIP THOSE FLAGS, THE NATION IS IN DISTRESS!

why I should worship the state (who apparently is the only party that can possess guns without question).
    The state's only purpose is to kill and control. Why do you worship it? - Sola_Fide

Baptiste said.
    At which point will Americans realize that creating an unaccountable institution that is able to pass its liability on to tax-payers is immoral and attracts sociopaths?

Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    Is this supposed to make anyone feel sorry for Trump?
    It's supposed to make you hate the Fed.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

I hate the Fed . Are these bastards getting a pension ?
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    I hate the Fed . Are these bastards getting a pension ?
    I don't know but they have already stolen plenty of money by the time they retire.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Supporting Member
    Phoenix, AZ

Blog Entries
    As well as recognize that Trump isn't in the establishment club, just because he has posed in photos with them.
    Citizen of Arizona
    @cleaner4d4

I am a libertarian. I am advocating everyone enjoy maximum freedom on both personal and economic issues as long as they do not bring violence unto others.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleaner44 View Post
    As well as recognize that Trump isn't in the establishment club, just because he has posed in photos with them.
    Yes.
    But Jules will never admit that.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment