Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Uber Is Using AI to Charge People as Much as Possible for a Ride

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    They are just leveraging the cheap credit and doing it faster.
    Yeah, sure.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    Yeah, sure.
    Dude, you are totally clueless. The existence of ridesharing increases the demand for taxi type services in an area by like 4 times at least.. probably 10 times. Nobody used to take cabs because they $#@!ing sucked. It was hard to order them, they were dirty, you had to wait 20-30 minutes for them to come to your house, that's if you could get one to your house at all. The cab drivers were rude as $#@!, they drover you all over town and charged you $60 for a ride that costs $15 through Uber or Lyft.

Then ridesharing came along, and all of a sudden you could order a nice, clean car to your house in 5 or 10 minutes - they automatically call the closest available car, automatically text messaged you when they get there, the drivers are friendly, they don't overcharge and they are happy because they are making money because they don't give ridiculous amounts of money to the government for licenses and permits and they can use a vehicle that can easily be converted into a personal/commuter vehicle.

I'm not trying to sell you on using the service, if you don't like it fine. But you sound like you don't know wtf you are talking about when you say the only reason these services are successful is because of cheap credit. They are successful because they got around government regulations and created a useful product utilizing a new technology (smartphones).
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    They are successful because they got around government regulations and created a useful product utilizing a new technology (smartphones).
    All the while not making a penny. DotCom 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    All the while not making a penny. DotCom 2.0
    Look at the scale, and the razor thin margins, they are competing with Lyft and other rideshare companies as well.

You have to convince me that riders are willing to pay the $15 for an Uber, but not willing to pay $18 for an Uber and would rather buy the $60 taxi.. Because that is the type of margins we are talking about, if Uber raised their prices just a little they would be making money. But their goal is to leverage the debt and focus on marketshare. It's a longterm business strategy, it is the best strategy they can currently engage in. It would be better if the ZIRP didn't exist, but like I said it would just mean they would have to sacrifice low prices and marketshare.. it doesn't mean they wouldn't exist, that is completely ridiculous.
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

NEWSFLASH! Hershey's sells candy bars for more than it takes to make them!!! ZOMG!

Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    Matt is wrong about this, though:

So what? So long as Uber does in fact charge the rider the amount X it tells the rider it is going to charge, and so long as Uber does in fact pay the driver the amount Y it tells the driver it is going to pay, then there is nothing wrong here. The fact that X is greater than Y is unproblematic and irrelevant.

The exchange between a driver (as seller) and Uber (as buyer) is an entirely separate transaction from the exchange between Uber (as seller) and a rider (as buyer). As the middleman, Uber's profits derive from the "arbitrage" between these distinct transactions.
    It's sleazy at best and downright deceptive at worst
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Collins View Post
    It's sleazy at best and downright deceptive at worst
    Non-repsonsive. "Sleazy" is just an empty and lazy pejorative.

As for "downright deceptive" - where is the deception?

Does Uber pay drivers what it agrees to pay them (and what drivers agree to accept)?

If so, then there is no deception involved ("downright" or otherwise).

If not, then present your evidence and make your case (instead of spouting contentless derogations).

Otherwise (as I noted in the bit you snipped out of my quote) you are just peddling a trite Marxist bugbear.
    Last edited by Occam's Banana; 05-21-2017 at 04:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Then don't use Uber.
    I don't.

But because everybody else does, because everybody else does not give a flying $#@! about privacy, I will soon have no choice.
    Last edited by Anti Federalist; 05-21-2017 at 04:47 PM.

There is the future.

+rep

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    I'm with you. I don't have an Uber account.

Imagine the day where everything you buy is individually priced based upon your Google Payablity Index (TM). It will be the ultimate in social justice, comrade.

"I'll have a hamburger"

"Please look into the scanner. Thank you, that will be $12, Mr. AF. We do hope your dog is feeling better after that huge vet bill, and happy birthday too! Please come back when you can afford to make another purchase."

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    I'm with you. I don't have an Uber account.

Imagine the day where everything you buy is individually priced based upon your Google Payablity Index (TM). It will be the ultimate in social justice, comrade.

"I'll have a hamburger"

"Please look into the scanner. Thank you, that will be $12, Mr. AF. We do hope your dog is feeling better after that huge vet bill, and happy birthday too! Please come back when you can afford to make another purchase."

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    There is the future.

+rep
    One would hope that without government intervention, this scheme would collapse like Obamacare. After all the rich would patronize businesses that charged a straight cost to everyone, and they have the most money to buy things and thus the most market leverage.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    One would hope that without government intervention, this scheme would collapse like Obamacare. After all the rich would patronize businesses that charged a straight cost to everyone, and they have the most money to buy things and thus the most market leverage.
    I wish I could believe that.

But I do not...as I watch millions and millions and millions of people fall all over themselves to get rid of cash, carry electronic dog collars, clamor for driverless cars and festoon their own homes with surveillance cameras and commit in a hundred different ways to purchasing their own slavery.

Gotta hand it to the authoritarian controllers...they figured it out...all they needed to do is market "1984" better.

Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    Non-repsonsive. "Sleazy" is just an empty and lazy pejorative.

As for "downright deceptive" - where is the deception?

Does Uber pay drivers what it agrees to pay them (and what drivers agree to accept)?

If so, then there is no deception involved ("downright" or otherwise).

If not, then present your evidence and make your case (instead of spouting contentless derogations).

Otherwise (as I noted in the bit you snipped out of my quote) you are just peddling a trite Marxist bugbear.
    It is deception in the fact that the driver is supposed to be getting 75% of what the customer is getting charged, but the customer is being charged more than what the driver is getting paid with Uber pocketing the difference.
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    I don't.

But because everybody else does, because everybody else does not give a flying $#@! about privacy, I will soon have no choice.
    Not Uber's fault.. the government is the one that regulated taxis so extensively that they made them prohibitively expensive for most people and most situations. I was railing against taxi regulations long before Uber came around, and told people about how if they didn't regulate cabs they would be cheaper and drunk people would use them more and you would have less problems with DUIs. Well, finally Uber came through and beat the regulations, made the trips cheaper and they have done a lot to reduce drunk driving accidents.

I think there should be a market for regular cash fare taxis, but the problem is that the way Uber gets around the regulations is by claiming that the person is pre-hiring a private driver. Not sure how that would work with a cash transaction, but it isn't within their business model. It doesn't mean that cash taxi services are outside of the realm of what would exist in the free market, it just means currently they are prohibitively expensive and over-regulated.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Collins View Post
    It is deception in the fact that the driver is supposed to be getting 75% of what the customer is getting charged, but the customer is being charged more than what the driver is getting paid with Uber pocketing the difference.
    The driver gets paid based on a fare rate that is based on actual trip miles and time. They are not being deceived. The customer in some cases is agreeing to pay more, and in some cases less.

I know since you have done some driving for them, you know that customers will often request multiple stops, and they aren't always right on the way. Uber has to pickup the cost on these fares because they have to pay the driver to go out of their way, and the customer misses paying that extra time and distance.

Money-Losing Uber Says It "Mistakenly" Underpaid NYC Drivers

After recently promising to take steps to boost drivers’ wages, Uber Inc. has admitted that, over the last two-and-a-half years, it “mistakenly” underpaid drivers in New York City.
    The company claims it came forward voluntarily after discovering the issue, which, considering how the company has seemingly bounced from one PR crisis to the next, is probably a smart move. Uber's highly-paid communications team has hopefully learned by now that sometimes it's better to get out ahead of the story - because then you can shape it on your own terms. A few months back, the company announced that it had – again, “mistakenly” – underpaid drivers in Philadelphia.

Uber is, somewhat expaseratingly, the most highly valued startup in the world with a valuation of nearly $70 billion, even though it lost nearly a billion dollars in the fourth quarter of 2016, and has been called “a cash-burning machine” by one analyst who saw its books.
    Here’s how it happened, according to WSJ:
    “Under the terms of its November 2014 nationwide driver agreement, Uber was meant to take its commission, generally 25%, from U.S. drivers based on fares after any taxes and fees were deducted. Uber said that, instead, in New York City it calculated a higher cut using the full fare before accounting for sales tax and a local injury-compensation fund fee.

Uber told The Wall Street Journal it would refund the money plus interest, which comes to an average of about $900 per driver.”
    Uber didn’t say how much repaying the drivers would cost, but WSJ calculated that the total amount is probably somewhere around $45 million, or to about $900 per driver, based on an estimated 50,000 drivers.

More at:
    http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-0...ops+to+zero%29
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

If the gig economy was such a great idea Uber should implement it in their corporate offices

Meh. I typically get better service and prices from Lyft.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12