Thread: People are marrying themselves, it's called 'sologamy'

People are marrying themselves, it's called 'sologamy'

http://www.thv11.com/news/special-re...gamy/439328814

May 12, 2017

BROOKLYN (CBS) - If the secret to a happy marriage is finding the right person, we can all stop looking. At least, according to "sologamists." They're part of a growing relationship trend, in which people are tying the knot to themselves.

Erika Anderson is one of them.

“I would describe it as women saying yes to themselves,” Anderson said. “It means that we are enough, even if we are not partnered with someone else."

In many ways, the 37-year-old bride looked like any other on her wedding day. She wore a white dress and had a bouquet. Anderson looked stunning with the Brooklyn bridge and New York City skyline behind her.

Except when she walked down the aisle, no one was waiting for her. That’s just the way she wanted it.

Anderson said she grew tired of people asking why she was still single. So, in front of family and friends she married herself.

Self-marriage—or sologamy—is growing. Partly because it’s popping up in pop culture, like when an episode of ‘Sex and the City’ floated the idea.

Now, the movement has gone global and companies are trying to capitalize.

“Marry Yourself” in Canada offers consulting and wedding photography. There’s also IMarriedMe.com, launched by San Francisco man Jeffrey Levin. His site offers sologamy ceremony kits, which includes a wedding band, daily affirmation cards and vows.

"I think it's increased over the years, and it's something that's becoming more understood and more accepted,” Levin said.

Anderson married herself to celebrate independence and believes others should, too.

"You're worth it!" Anderson exclaimed.

Anderson just celebrated her one-year anniversary with a solo trip to Mexico. She said even though she's married to herself, she's dating and open to marrying another person.

After all, in the eyes of the law, self-marriage is not a legally binding union.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Well, crap, if it's not a legally binding union, I couldn't claim my spouse as a dependent and we couldn't file jointly.

I bet the wedding night is exciting, lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    I bet the wedding night is exciting, lol.
    I dunno, if a person has been sleeping with his spouse, all his life, it might seem kind of hum drum.

It used to be you had to get a license from the state to have children. WTF is this exactly, a license to masturbate?

How long until people start popping up as "sologamysts with an open marriage?"

Finally HB can find someone and stop spending so much time searching at those Phoenix bath houses.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyFreedom View Post
    It used to be you had to get a license from the state to have children. WTF is this exactly, a license to masturbate?

A "solopolyamorist." Bwahaha! I think you've won today's interwebz.

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyFreedom View Post

I can just imagine somebody committing suicide over having cheated in such a relationship.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The divorce would be painful and expensive.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

These people have a mental disorder
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    Finally HB can find someone and stop spending so much time searching at those Phoenix bath houses.
    HB is Orthodox and won't do this sort of thing. Nor does he go to bath houses. But the good news is you now have an option if eduardo leaves you for good and you can't find another boy. ~hugs~
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

n/m
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    http://www.thv11.com/news/special-re...gamy/439328814
    “I would describe it as women saying yes to themselves,” Anderson said. “It means that we are enough, even if we are not partnered with someone else."

In many ways, the 37-year-old bride looked like any other on her wedding day. She wore a white dress and had a bouquet. Anderson looked stunning with the Brooklyn bridge and New York City skyline behind her.

Except when she walked down the aisle, no one was waiting for her.
    Cats won't sit still for that crap.

I'm not married but I don't think I'd go so far as to marry myself.

Should I ever get divorced, I wouldn't want to lose the dog.
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    This is getting silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    It started silly.
    T.S. Eliot's The Hollow Men

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

We Are Running Out of Time - Mini Me

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm
    I part ways with "libertarianism" when it transitions from ideology grounded in logic into self-defeating autism for the sake of ideological purity.

I'd say embarrassing, but I bet they're not embarrassed.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.3D View Post
    I dunno, if a person has been sleeping with his spouse, all his life, it might seem kind of hum drum.
    I wonder if she's going to cut herself off now that she's married.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I feel like I'm being trolled with this "news" article.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    I wonder if she's going to cut herself off now that she's married.
    She will probably have a sudden increase of headaches and not want to indulge.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    Wait, you haven't met the rest of the SJW team.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    With a few notable exceptions (Glenn Greenwald, Ben Swann, etc.) you're being trolled by just about every "news" article/story.

It's just a matter of degree ...
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

Don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows

Bitch is so obviously desperate.

Age of the autosexual: the people sexually attracted to themselves

https://www.theguardian.com/society/...-to-themselves

4 Mar 2019

Are you turned on when you look in the mirror, and enjoy nothing more than a steamy night at home alone? You could be an autosexual

Name: Autosexuality.

Appearance: Beautiful, fun, charming, attractive, sexy. Like me.

If you don’t mind me saying so, you seem pretty pleased with yourself. Yes, I am, thanks.

It’s like you think you’re all that. I certainly do.

Wow. You’re really quite full of yourself, aren’t you? I wish.

Look, I’m trying to insult you. Will you please just act wounded? No can do. I’m too happy.

Why? Because I’m head over heels in love.

With whom? With me.

Wait. Who’s in love with you? I am.

What? My orientation happens to be autosexual.

What do you mean? Like a sexy robot? No, not like a sexy robot.

Or does it mean you get aroused by cars, like Jeremy Clarkson? It means that I am sexually attracted to myself.

How does that even work? Well, I usually start by lighting a few candles and checking I’ve got fresh batteries. Then …

Stop. If you’re talking about masturbation, everybody does that. I hear. Autosexuality is different from autoeroticism. It’s more about masturbating to the idea of yourself.

I’m afraid the distinction is lost on me. You might, for example, be turned on by your own nudity. In my case I’m also autoromantic – I literally love myself.

What are you talking about? I mean I get butterflies in my stomach when I think about me.

No you don’t. Yes I do. I go on dates with myself and buy myself romantic gifts.

If you love yourself so much, why don’t you marry yourself? I may. The writer Ghia Vitale got engaged to herself in 2017, and plans a self-wedding at some point.

What’s stopping her? Cold feet? She’s just taking things slowly. “Although I will one day be my own wife, I am enjoying the feeling of being engaged.”

You are so having me on. I’m not, honestly. Sologamy is a real and growing phenomenon. Lots of people are saying “I do” to themselves in special ceremonies these days, although it is not legally recognised anywhere in the world.

Are you sure this isn’t more to do with the lonely resignation of people who can’t have relationships with others? Not all autosexual romances are monogamous, even if they are central to one’s love life. “I now realise that my relationship with myself is as valid as any other relationship,” says Vitale.

Do say: “Who’s the pretty girl in the mirror over there?”

Don’t say: “Look, this just isn’t working. It’s not me, it’s me.”

Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.