Thread: DIY Auto Detailing?

DIY Auto Detailing?

The fabric on the inside of my car doors is coming loose. Does anyone do their own auto detailing? Do you have some suggestions? Favorite adhesive products? I'm an experienced crafter.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    3-M 77 is medium strength 90 is high strength...

I would staple it and have a beer and congratulate myself .
    Do something Danke

I will definitely have Franzia and watch the glue dry.
    #NashvilleStrong

If you look up something like 'door panel upholstery' on YouTube you'll get videos for days.

Any auto parts store will have 3M spray adhesive in a rattle can. It's the only thing I've used.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    3-M 77 is medium strength 90 is high strength...
    What Tod said.

Get this, clean both surfaces, apply, let it get tacky, press.

Done.

You'd a need a nuke to separate again if you do it right.

The adhesive seems to be highly recommended. It is ugly hot here in Middle Tennessee. I need something that will hold up.
    #NashvilleStrong

Quote Originally Posted by euphemia View Post
    The adhesive seems to be highly recommended. It is ugly hot here in Middle Tennessee. I need something that will hold up.
    That stuff is pretty good , place I was at last before I retired we bought it by the case and used it to glue bar codes on the finished product .
    Do something Danke

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I fixed a loose bit of door liner with the 3M on my antique minivan and it stayed. My stepfather told me my minivan (1998 Plymouth Grand Voyager with Espresso package)was officially an antique this year and I could get am antique tag for it. If they're free, I'm gonna get one. He has a few antique trucks and goes to shows and I told him I'm gonna go park my minivan next to his truck and we'll see which one gets the most attention.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Done and done. Thanks, everyone!
    #NashvilleStrong

I do some detailing from time to time. Not a lot since I daily drive my car... 500mi each week, since it rains so much overhere it's not really worth it to keep the outside spotless. My rims are full of brake dust after a week...

The inside however is easier to keep nice. I use a nice nylon brush to get the dust out of small gaps and stuff. Washing and oiling the leather seats/door panels. All plastic stuff gets a quick wipe with cockpit spray. Carpets are vacuumed. Windows are cleaned with an aerosol type window cleaner (great stuff.. spray it on, and wipe it off with a clean dry paper towel and the window looks showroom quality).

I try to do this as frequently as I can, but usually most of these items happen every three months.. Seats maybe only once or twice a year.

It costs some time to do but if you spend 10 hours each week in your car, you learn to appreciate the effort
    "I am a bird"

Yeah, I have a 6 minute drive to work. I drive a 2006, and the interior really suffers in the southern heat. The fabric on the inside of the front doors was coming off. The driver side was worse than I thought. Now it's all back in place and looking really good.
    #NashvilleStrong

Yeah, I have a 6 minute drive to work. I drive a 2006, and the interior really suffers in the southern heat. The fabric on the inside of the front doors was coming off. The driver side was worse than I thought. Now it's all back in place and looking really good.
    Sounds good! Even though a car is meant to be used, it's much nicer to drive if it's clean...
    I've got a 2007 and I would say the interior of mine is 95% of what it was when it was new. The exterior is a little $#@!ed, scratches and stuff.
    "I am a bird"

My car is pretty clean on the inside. Husband has lately taken to cleaning the cars really well. I have stuff in my car to be hospitable. Until I became a grandma I drove small sedans. When the second grand was on the way I was also doing a nanny gig for three teenagers, and taking them to school every day was like moving house. I really needed more space, and I wanted something with newer safety features for the babies. I upgraded to a Honda CR-V, which is awesome.

But I also determined that if I was able to find an affordable used CR-V, I would always volunteer to drive other people. I keep stuff like tissues and wet wipes and whatever so it is kid and adult friendly. I also have an umbrella in every door pocket just in case.
    #NashvilleStrong

My car is pretty clean on the inside. Husband has lately taken to cleaning the cars really well. I have stuff in my car to be hospitable. Until I became a grandma I drove small sedans. When the second grand was on the way I was also doing a nanny gig for three teenagers, and taking them to school every day was like moving house. I really needed more space, and I wanted something with newer safety features for the babies. I upgraded to a Honda CR-V, which is awesome.

But I also determined that if I was able to find an affordable used CR-V, I would always volunteer to drive other people. I keep stuff like tissues and wet wipes and whatever so it is kid and adult friendly. I also have an umbrella in every door pocket just in case.
    Funny, I think we can agree the CR-V is an awesome car, but I probably like it for other reasons, the drivetrain and engine.

I like how you say adult and kid friendly, I have to say, kids generally are really nice in my car when I ask nicely to not touch anything that doesn't need to be touched and to just relax and listen to the music.. I do adapt a bit when I have kids in the car, but not too much.

Good thing your husband is helping out. I find that funny, men generally don't see a problem with their wife cleaning the house, however, as far as I know in most cases they clean the car.... Psychology is funny.
    "I am a bird"

The kids are good in the car. They just have different needs than adults. If someone needs a tissue, I think I should have one. Same with a wet wipe. If I stop in a drive thru--even just for me--I need to wipe my hands and the steering wheel. If I'm taking the kids somewhere, I want to make sure everyone has clean faces and hands when we get there. Wet wipes do the trick. I have a couple of books tucked in the pockets behind the seats to keep kids entertained.
    #NashvilleStrong

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The CR-V is nice but I have a soft spot in my heart for the element. Any utility vehicle with a drain in the floor gets a thumbs up from me.
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.