Thread: 18th Century American Cooking

Exclamation 18th Century American Cooking

Neat video series from a store that I have bought from before.

Townsends Authentic Gear

“It is not true that all creeds and cultures are equally assimilable in a First World nation born of England, Christianity, and Western civilization. Race, faith, ethnicity and history leave genetic fingerprints no ‘proposition nation’ can erase." -- Pat Buchanan

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Very interesting, I will have to try some of these.

5-Star thread.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post

5-Star thread.
    Looks like hundreds of these videos on YouTube.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    It's interesting but three hour boiled meat in a cloth napkin and cloves *gag* in fried chicken didn't seem too appealing. I haven't watched the onion pie recipe yet. I may actually try the boiled napkin meat just to see the look on Mr. A's face when he comes home and I ask him to pull that rope out of the boiling water for his dinner - and don't forget to rinse it off so the napkin releases, lol. Oh, and there's an onion pie for dessert.

The vinegar/lemon/onions in the chicken marinade sounds really good, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    It's interesting but three hour boiled meat in a cloth napkin and cloves *gag* in fried chicken didn't seem too appealing. I haven't watched the onion pie recipe yet. I may actually try the boiled napkin meat just to see the look on Mr. A's face when he comes home and I ask him to pull that rope out of the boiling water for his dinner - and don't forget to rinse it off so the napkin releases, lol. Oh, and there's an onion pie for dessert.

The vinegar/lemon/onions in the chicken marinade sounds really good, though.
    Hahah, well, when you consider some of these old recipes, you realize why people were much more thin then.

Some, I'm sure, are quite nasty. Shipboard grub was especially noxious.

But I've tried some of these over the years, at various historical villages and pubs, and some are surprisingly rich and tasty.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Hahah, well, when you consider some of these old recipes, you realize why people were much more thin then.

Some, I'm sure, are quite nasty. Shipboard grub was especially noxious.

But I've tried some of these over the years, at various historical villages and pubs, and some are surprisingly rich and tasty.
    I'm fairly certain a lot were good. I just got to thinking about trying the chicken (without the cloves*gag*) and then started thinking about what Mr A would say if he came home to a sack of boiled meat and an onion pie and started cracking myself up. Oh, and I almost forgot about the bread in the mud hut I built. His reaction would be priceless. He'd be very calm, talking to me like I'm a child saying things like, that's different and when I confessed I was just $#@!ing with him, he'd say, Thank God. After all these years, he still can't tell when I'm messing with him or it's just my crazy is showing.
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.

Oh, and I almost forgot about the bread in the mud hut I built. His reaction would be priceless.
    I think his reaction would be even funnier if he walked into the backyard and caught you marching through mud pies to make it.

I would probably like that. I like sardines and anchovies. I'm not a picky eater. I would taste the other stuff, too.

I would probably like that. I like sardines and anchovies. I'm not a picky eater. I would taste the other stuff, too.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Have you seen how Fish Sauce is made? It's nasty but I use it. I have some in my fridge right now.

How brave was the first person who made garum or fish sauce? Or the first person to taste Limburger cheese or even Blue Cheese (I love Blue Cheese but it smells nasty)? I think about those unsung heroes.

5-Star thread.
    My stars have been taken away by a certain man who wanted to crush my joy .
    Last edited by oyarde; 08-04-2018 at 10:23 AM.
    Do something Danke

18th century caucasian cooking is alive and well . Just find a crappy place to eat somewhere in great britain or norway .Shudder. baked fish and boiled meat for all.
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    18th century caucasian cooking is alive and well . Just find a crappy place to eat somewhere in great britain or norway .Shudder. baked fish and boiled meat for all.
    That's what I was thinking it tasted like. I'm still traumatized by the "pudding" I got with my traditional English breakfast when I was traveling. That wasn't $#@!ing pudding, it was a blood clot. They served me a blood clot with unseasoned beans, over cooked eggs and Canadian bacon. o_O

I have done a lot of outdoor cooking. I think boiling meat for three hours would be kind of like crock pot roast beef. Cloves have antiseptic properties. I have cooked meat over hot coals under ground. Tender and tasty. Turkey on a tripod. My son in-law says it was the best turkey ever and he comes from a long line of noted southern and midwestern cooks.

Military on the march might not have had a lot of choices in their meat. It was whatever they could kill.
    Last edited by euphemia; 08-04-2018 at 08:19 AM.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

That's what I was thinking it tasted like. I'm still traumatized by the "pudding" I got with my traditional English breakfast when I was traveling. That wasn't $#@!ing pudding, it was a blood clot. They served me a blood clot with unseasoned beans, over cooked eggs and Canadian bacon. o_O
    Ya , I skip the beans and blood clots and just go to the deli and get a slice of meat on bread to go with my coffee. Those people are barbarians , probably related to @Danke .
    Do something Danke

Ya , I skip the beans and blood clots and just go to the deli and get a slice of meat on bread to go with my coffee. Those people are barbarians , probably related to @Danke .
    Yes. Danke's people are known for gross food and, unsurprisingly, he has done nothing.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    How brave was the first person who made garum or fish sauce? Or the first person to taste Limburger cheese or even Blue Cheese (I love Blue Cheese but it smells nasty)? I think about those unsung heroes.
    Cool story-that's more commonly and properly known as "Bleu Cheese". "Blue" is just an Anglicization.

bleu cheese

[bloo]

See more synonyms on Thesaurus.comnoun

Origin of bleu cheese

1955–60; French bleu for blue because certain highly prized blue cheeses come from France
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    Cool story-that's more commonly and properly known as "Bleu Cheese". "Blue" is just an Anglicization.

bleu cheese

[bloo]

See more synonyms on Thesaurus.comnoun

Origin of bleu cheese

1955–60; French bleu for blue because certain highly prized blue cheeses come from France
    Yes. I know that. I wasn't raised in a Gottdam barn BUT I find saying Bleu Cheese pretentious. I prefer to say Blue Cheese.

My stars have been taken away by a certain man who wanted to crush my joy .
    First the white man took your land and now he takes your stars?
    Are you going to do something about it or wait until he takes your air as well?
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

First the white man took your land and now he takes your stars?
    Are you going to do something about it or wait until he takes your air as well?
    It is insulting now that you put it like that .
    Do something Danke