Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Should Classic Rock Songs Be Toppled Like Confederate Statues? "American Pie" first to go

Quote Originally Posted by kahless View Post
    I did not miss the point and totally get that. It is just that when I look really closely at it, we all got played. We tend to have rose colored glasses about the past due to life long conditioning. We listened to and enjoyed Progressive rockers with close ties to the elites. People that stand against many of the things we believe and support politicians we hate. Those are the facts.

At one time they called it Progressive Rock since it was closely associated with Progressive ideology and in later years then called Classic Rock. We all live in somewhat our own illusion so we can enjoy life and memory holed that fact to live our illusion. Now we are supposed to get all teary eyed because the people that helped get us to where we are now might be taken down a peg. I don't think so.

This is from a fan that spent most of my life listening to all forms of rock for hours a day and attending concerts. So this is not like I hate the genre and are rather a lifelong fan. I like sitting around a fire to, I just don't put my hand in it and ruin my life. People took the art form to a whole new level and part of that is due to how it was marketed that way at one time.

For example the genre brought an entire generation to buy into the immorality of sex, drugs and rock'n roll. Look at the destruction of white communities due to the drug problem and broken families. Granted people should not have been so weak and simply enjoyed it without changing their life to reflect a slogan as part of the art form.

So I am not going to get all teary eyed if someone attacks it. Maybe, just maybe, it will wake people up to a new form of rock from people that actually believe in the liberty of others and not push heroin use as a cool virtue.

Telling the truth about why things are the way they are and are not going to change until people wake up is not obsessive. Years ago I would never have said that to you since you got it. Some where along the line you jumped on the game one up news cycle bandwagon to live that false illusion here. That is a dead end and the only benefit is Ad dollars and establishment party building. Nothing will ever change if people continue down that path of getting played, to not look long term, identify the enemy and their propaganda methods. That means waking up to our own illusions at times including our pleasures like how we looked the other way on this genre.

If Marxist's try to destroy Classic Rock which is really doubtful, since when it comes down to it they are mostly on the same side, we - the opposition should be there to present the alternative (no pun intended) from artists that truly believe in liberty and the rights of women and children.
    Good points about sex, drugs and rock n’ roll always being a subversive, destroy America propaganda campaign.

Methinks your definition of “progressive rock” is a bit off.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Progressive rock had nothing at all to do with "progressive" Marxist political ideology.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progressive_rock

Most all creative types are lefties.

Thus it has always been, all the way back to Homer.
    Yeah, progressive rock had nothing to do with “progressive” politics. It had more to do with the fact that as basic, beginner musicians learned their craft, many became became more proficient and sophisticated. Same thing happened to punk rock, as musicians learned to play their instruments.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Saw them, enjoyed them. What are you going to do when the singer and driver of the band dies? Yeah, he’s gone, no disputing that.
    Let his little brother team up with some of his old bandmates, steal all his songs and try to live his life??
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Progressive rock had nothing at all to do with "progressive" Marxist political ideology.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progressive_rock

Most all creative types are lefties.

Thus it has always been, all the way back to Homer.
    @Brian4Liberty and link AF provided:
    In early references to the music, "progressive" was partly related to progressive politics, but those connotations were lost during the 1970s
    When you are young everyone was left wing so it was a cool thing. Not so much anymore, the association is almost totally ignored these days simply because people are more aware and they do not want it to effect sales.
    * See my visitor message area for caveats related to my posting history here.
    * Also, I have effectively retired from all social media including posting here and are basically opting out of anything to do with national politics or this country on federal or state level and rather focusing locally. I may stop by from time to time to discuss philosophy on a general level related to Libertarian schools of thought and application in the real world.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    Let his little brother team up with some of his old bandmates, steal all his songs and try to live his life??
    Yep, pretty much. More power to them. The other band members were not very successful as different bands. They could have found a singer who was not a brother of the original singer, but if there is a brother that fits the bill, keep it in the family. Play the songs, keep the name, make most of the fans happy.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by kahless View Post
    @Brian4Liberty and link AF provided:

When you are young everyone was left wing so it was a cool thing. Not so much anymore, the association is almost totally ignored these days simply because people are more aware and they do not want it to effect sales.
    Sure, if you want to ignore the entire wikipedia description and focus on a single line that some douchebag inserted in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Sure, if you want to ignore the entire wikipedia description and focus on a single line that some douchebag inserted in there.
    I've never seen the term "progressive rock" used to mean anything at all about a band's political lyrics.

It's always been used to describe a band that is using new and varying musical sources and influences in their music.

Same as "progressive jazz".

And yes, @kahless has made some valid points about "sex and drugs and rock and roll" being subversive.

But they said the same thing about jazz and be-bop 100 years before that.

And vaudeville and burlesque before that.

I think it is related to the introduction of recording mediums. Prior to 1880 or so, there was no such thing. If you wanted music, it had to be played or enjoyed live and that's it.

The introduction of recorded music, and the huge market for it, prompted all sorts of "one up-manship" and pushing of boundaries to limits never seen before.

The utter collapse of the last epoch of recorded music, the "studio contract - radio airplay" version, at the turn of the century, has led to the situation we have now.

Millions of rudderless musicians competing for declining market share, producing, mostly, pure formulaic $#@!.

So again, I'll grant kahless the point, that many of these bands were subversive...some, like Chicago, for instance or RATM, were/are outright communists.

So were movie stars and authors (one of my favorite US authors, Herman Wouk, was appalling left wing) and painters and composers.

Before Marxist intersectionality infected US culture, these people used to create, perhaps against their will, cultural icons of music and cinema and arts that are known and loved by millions of people.

The Revolution brought an end to that as well. Nobody will be fondly remembering the music or arts of early 21st century America.

Now the Revolution is setting it's sights on what used to be, in order to stamp that out as well.

And that was my point in posting that piece of trans queeer trash from the NY Slimes in the first place.
    Last edited by Anti Federalist; 11-06-2021 at 12:45 AM.
    “Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.” - Arnold Toynbee

Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    Racist!
    Impeach!

We're being governed ruled by a geriatric Alzheimer patient/puppet whose strings are being pulled by an elitist oligarchy who believe they can manage the world... imagine the utter maniacal, sociopathic hubris!

“Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.” - Arnold Toynbee

Was listening to Abbey Road in the front yard the other day. A guy was walking up the street, stopped to say “hey, that was the greatest”.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12