Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need Help and advice on Garage Heating

Quote Originally Posted by HVACTech View Post
    to protect the concrete of course.
    silly.

keep it up.. and you will get me going about pizza ovens friend.
    From what ?

Maybe physics work different where I live but my stove is rather cool on the bottom compared to the top .
    "I am a bird"

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by luctor-et-emergo View Post
    From what ?

Maybe physics work different where I live but my stove is rather cool on the bottom compared to the top .
    OK, that does it!

some pizza ovens use gas heat on the bottom... and electric heat on the top..
    mebbe we have fancier pizza ovens here in Arkansas?

your oven cooks just as well though..

radiant heat defys gravity. and is the way the sun heats the earth friend.
    no, he should not have elevated it off the floor. if that is what he seeks to heat.

(I am trying to get the truck fixed dude)(you got a problem with Chevy's)?
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." - Albert Einstein

"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man. - Thomas Jefferson.

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Why did you raise it off the ground that much ?
    It is my understanding that gasoline vapors are heavier than air and settle to the floor. I think that any fire burning appliance located in a a garage needs to be elevated 18" above the ground.

Why did you raise it off the ground that much ?
    Maybe easier access to stoke and clean.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

OK, that does it!

some pizza ovens use gas heat on the bottom... and electric heat on the top..
    mebbe we have fancier pizza ovens here in Arkansas?
    Sounds complicated. Besides, where is the wood ?

radiant heat defys gravity. and is the way the sun heats the earth friend.
    no, he should not have elevated it off the floor. if that is what he seeks to heat.
    Ok, if you ever find yourself lost over-here, we can play a game. I light up the stove. You keep your hands on the top, I'll keep mine on the bottom.
    "I am a bird"

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    I'm surprised HVACTech didn't tell you that there is no way you could be a blacksmith without going on, at length about thermal conductivity of metals.

I too, enjoy a good whiff of bituminous smoke as well.
    I am unaware of anything he writes because he is the sole occupant of my ignore list. I have time for only so much nonsense and since he goes way over the quota so I had to cut him off.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

not bad AF! you are doing better! yes!
    "conduction" is in fact one of the four methods of heat transfer.

btw, I am thinking about $#@!ing with christiananarchist about cavitation...
    have you figured out yet... if an airplane sucks or blows it way through the sky? do you know what causes "lift"?

did you ever answer my query about the difference between anarchy and Liberty?
    or did you cavitate again?
    Bournelli Principle.

Learn it.

Quote Originally Posted by Schifference View Post
    After considering all options, I went with a coal stoker. I got a great deal on this stove. $400 with direct vent. I plan to investigate modifying it to be a waste oil burner too.
    You may want to try a stack robber. It is a heat-exchanger that is fairly easily made from a steel drum. It adds a lot of heat to the room, but one must be careful not to make it too large or the smoke will be too cool going up the flue and creosote will build up. That, of course, can result in a stack fire, something you do not ever want to experience. The house sounds like a 737 is running in it and often the flue melts and the house burns to the ground. But you can definitely suck a goodly portion of the waste heat from the flue gases without endangering anything.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

It is my understanding that gasoline vapors are heavier than air and settle to the floor. I think that any fire burning appliance located in a a garage needs to be elevated 18" above the ground.
    Yes, at least that much, and don't ever work with raw gas or solvents with the doors closed.

Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    You may want to try a stack robber. It is a heat-exchanger that is fairly easily made from a steel drum. It adds a lot of heat to the room, but one must be careful not to make it too large or the smoke will be too cool going up the flue and creosote will build up. That, of course, can result in a stack fire, something you do not ever want to experience. The house sounds like a 737 is running in it and often the flue melts and the house burns to the ground. But you can definitely suck a goodly portion of the waste heat from the flue gases without endangering anything.
    I've tested these things, they do work.

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The nice thing about Anthracite coal is there is no creosote. It burns very clean. No smoke out the exhaust. I plan to put some fans and some other heat saving strategies. As you can see the garage is a huge mess. $#@! has been haphazardly placed for more than 3 years. Garage was never organized. Takes money and time to organize and build a workshop. I have so much stuff. Not even a work bench until today.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Have to free up some floor space

[IMG][/IMG]

correct, or draw combustion air from the outside.
    oil burners are semi-sealed combustion chambers. they do draw in combustion air though..

consistent heat is necessary to warm the slab friend. (to stop it from sweating when you don't need heat)
    most garages are for work projects. and heating the garage needs not be one of them.

(I suspect AF an Osan drive Fords..)
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." - Albert Einstein

"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man. - Thomas Jefferson.

The nice thing about Anthracite coal is there is no creosote. It burns very clean. No smoke out the exhaust.

sounds like you are an old hand at setting chimney fires.

and thereby releasing aldehydes... you sir.. are one NASTY boy!

aldehydes are the product of incomplete combustion.. sorta like co. (carbon monoxide)

That stove is awesome. It works off a thermostat. Went in there this morning and it was set at 65* and the room was 65*. I turned it down and it went down. I turned it back up and it went up. Pretty freaking cool. The way I understand it is the mechanism that adds the rice coal to the stove simply turns more often when there is demand. I plan to convert that to a multi-fuel stove. When I have time I will make it a waste oil burner.

Bournelli Principle.

Learn it.
    yah, that looks pretty close to the Venturie principle.

ever heard of it?

That stove is awesome. It works off a thermostat. Went in there this morning and it was set at 65* and the room was 65*. I turned it down and it went down. I turned it back up and it went up. Pretty freaking cool. The way I understand it is the mechanism that adds the rice coal to the stove simply turns more often when there is demand. I plan to convert that to a multi-fuel stove. When I have time I will make it a waste oil burner.
    my bad... I could not see the bin or the feed mechanism.

to burn waste oil, it will have to be atomized. this requires pressurization. unlike the venturie effect. right AF?

for the smart people. a "carburetor" works on the venturi principle.
    and, as everyone knows... neither boats nor airplanes use those. right AF..
    Last edited by HVACTech; 04-11-2016 at 08:55 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    you also have experience with houses burning down?

"the words of Osan" comes to mind.
    this goes here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u06DpcFXc4U

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Went into the garage yesterday morning. Thermostat was set at 60 temperature was 60. The stove was barely running very small flame.
    [IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

The sorting and cleaning is a huge job especially moving all that heavy stuff by oneself. But I am making progress.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Moved that disassembled 1969 Chevy to the other side of the garage.

[IMG][/IMG]

Need to make room for this one. I just got this from the estate of a 99 year old guy that just died. He was original owner and kept it in his garage. Only 1 tiny rust spot. Original nice interior. Going to pull the motor and paint it, and detail the engine well. Probably going to paint the truck and use it as my daily driver.

[IMG][/IMG]

In case you are wondering the green truck is presently in our 2 car attached garage.
    Last edited by Schifference; 04-13-2016 at 04:34 AM.

I am assuming you're buying bagged coal and not bulk.

What's a 50lb bag of rice anthracite going for these days?

@Schifference

thats actually pretty cool man. I had never heard of such a thing. (I have only seen 1 oil furnace in my career as well)
    the one I looked up mentioned both a blower and stoker motor.

Stoker is ratchet and enclosed gear drive driven
    Control and feed are fully automatic
    Firing rates from 10 lbs of coal per hour to 17 ½ pounds of coal per hour. (100,000 to 150,000 bonnet BTU/Hr.)

A new electronic efm Stoker Timer with Relay. The timer prevents outfires when there is a long period between calls for heat.

Anthracite 14000 - 14500 btu/lb.

this is good information for me to know. thanks!

Basically works the same as a pellet or corn stove.

$#@!, I thought you knew everything.

@Schifference

thats actually pretty cool man. I had never heard of such a thing. (I have only seen 1 oil furnace in my career as well)
    the one I looked up mentioned both a blower and stoker motor.

Stoker is ratchet and enclosed gear drive driven
    Control and feed are fully automatic
    Firing rates from 10 lbs of coal per hour to 17 ½ pounds of coal per hour. (100,000 to 150,000 bonnet BTU/Hr.)

A new electronic efm Stoker Timer with Relay. The timer prevents outfires when there is a long period between calls for heat.

Anthracite 14000 - 14500 btu/lb.

this is good information for me to know. thanks!

Basically works the same as a pellet or corn stove.

$#@!, I thought you knew everything.
    "corn" stove? LOL!

I try to help folks when I can. I make my living on the high end stuff.

we would probably be friends, had you not have chosen "anti-federalist"
    and attempted to defend it.

These things burn around 900F, maybe hotter:

“I don’t think that there will be any curtailing of Donald Trump as president,” he said. "He controls the media, he controls the sentiment [and] he controls everybody. He’s the one who will resort to executive orders more so than [President] Obama ever used them." - Ron Paul

Quote Originally Posted by CPUd View Post
    These things burn around 900F, maybe hotter:
    "temperature" does not indicate total heat content. or volume.
    my torch burns at over 3000F. and will NOT heat your home sir.

Thanks! I've posted on here about Chim-Fex. About 13 yrs. ago I had a chimney fire. It raged like a loco-motive. Popped the top of a Chim-fex like a flare, tossed it in, fire was out 5 minutes later, V.F.D showed up two minutes later.
    Chim-fex has been fighting the Feds forever. There was a 4-5 yr. period were the were in limbo because of the EPA. Seems the EPA thought the chemicals that were burned in suppressing fire was too high. Not like an entire home w/ all it's paint, plastics, foam cushions, carpeting, glues, etc. etc. etc. would ever outweigh an extinguish stick. SMDH.

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    "corn" stove? LOL!
    Yeah, corn stove.

Like this one: http://www.wiseheat.com/corn-stoves/...ain_model_1101

Burns dried corn kernels through a automated hopper feed and forced draft firebox like Schiff's coal stove or a wood pellet stove.

You're supposed to be an HVACTech and don't know about these?

Where have you been?

Yeah, corn stove.

Like this one: http://www.wiseheat.com/corn-stoves/...ain_model_1101

Burns dried corn kernels through a automated hopper feed and forced draft firebox like Schiff's coal stove or a wood pellet stove.

You're supposed to be an HVACTech and don't know about these?

Where have you been?
    I have not worked on a lot of rocket stoves or burn barrels either AF.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Thanks! I've posted on here about Chim-Fex. About 13 yrs. ago I had a chimney fire. It raged like a loco-motive. Popped the top of a Chim-fex like a flare, tossed it in, fire was out 5 minutes later, V.F.D showed up two minutes later.
    Chim-fex has been fighting the Feds forever. There was a 4-5 yr. period were the were in limbo because of the EPA. Seems the EPA thought the chemicals that were burned in suppressing fire was too high. Not like an entire home w/ all it's paint, plastics, foam cushions, carpeting, glues, etc. etc. etc. would ever outweigh an extinguish stick. SMDH.
    Of course, why does this not surprise me?

Glad to know it work "in real life" for you as well.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12