Thread: Muh roads. What is one to do when they won't build them?

Muh roads. What is one to do when they won't build them?

Muh roads. Lol. Get a swamp boat.

Florida Keys Deliver a Hard Message: As Seas Rise, Some Places Can't Be Saved

KEY WEST, Fla. — Officials in the Florida Keys announced what many coastal governments nationwide have long feared, but few have been willing to admit: As seas rise and flooding gets worse, not everyone can be saved.

And in some places, it doesn’t even make sense to try.

On Wednesday morning, Rhonda Haag, the county’s sustainability director, released the first results of the county’s yearslong effort to calculate how high its 300 miles of roads must be elevated to stay dry, and at what cost. Those costs were far higher than her team expected — and those numbers, she said, show that some places can’t be protected, at least at a price that taxpayers can be expected to pay.

“I never would have dreamed we would say ‘no,’” Haag said in an interview. “But now, with the real estimates coming in, it’s a different story. And it’s not all doable.

The results released Wednesday focus on a single 3-mile stretch of road at the southern tip of Sugarloaf Key, a small island 15 miles up U.S. Highway 1 from Key West. To keep those 3 miles of road dry year-round in 2025 would require raising it by 1.3 feet, at a cost of $75 million, or $25 million per mile. Keeping the road dry in 2045 would mean elevating it 2.2 feet, at a cost of $128 million. To protect against expected flooding levels in 2060, the cost would jump to $181 million.

And all that to protect about two dozen homes.

“I can’t see staff recommending to raise this road,” Haag said. “Those are taxpayer dollars, and as much as we love the Keys, there’s going to be a time when it’s going to be less population.”

The people who live on that 3-mile stretch of road were less understanding. If the county feels that other parts of the Keys ought to be saved, said Leon Mense, a 63-year-old office manager at a medical clinic, then at least don’t make him pay for it.

“So somebody in the city thinks they deserve more of my tax money than I do?” Manse asked. “Then don’t charge us taxes, how does that sound?”
    At a climate change conference in Key West on Wednesday, Roman Gastesi, the Monroe County manager, said elected leaders will have to figure out how to make those difficult calls.

“How do you tell somebody, ‘We’re not going to build the road to get to your home’? And what do we do?” Gastesi asked. “Do we buy them out? And how do we buy them out — is it voluntary? Is it eminent domain? How do we do that?”

Administrators and elected officials are going to have to start to rely on a “word nobody likes to use,” Gastesi said, “and that’s ‘retreat.’”

The county’s elected officials must now decide whether to accept that recommendation. The mayor of Monroe County, Heather Carruthers, said she hopes the cost of raising the roads turns out to be lower than what her staff have found, as the need for adaptation leads to better technology.

Still, Carruthers said, “We can’t protect every single house.”

Asked how she expected residents would respond, Carruthers said she expects pushback. “I’m sure that some of them will be very irate, and we’ll probably face some lawsuits,” she said. “But we can’t completely keep the water away.”
    Henry Silverman, a retired teacher from Long Island in New York, bought a house on the southern edge of Sugarloaf Key 10 years ago.
    “What’s government for? They’re supposed to protect your property,” Silverman said from behind the wheel of his shallow skiff boat on a recent afternoon.
    Mense, who lives in the last house on the road, suggested that officials focus instead on slowing global warming, without which no amount of adaptation will be enough for these islands.

“Maybe we should think about stopping, or trying to stop, the cause of the water rising,” Mense said. “At what point will the road be high enough?”
    Others seemed resigned. Georgia Siegel, a 73-year-old yoga teacher who grew up in Buffalo, New York, and moved here 20 years ago, said that if the government decided this area can’t be sustained, she would simply leave.

“What am I going to do?” Seigel asked, standing on the narrow beach in front of the home that she and her husband built. “It’s a problem that’s bigger than me.”

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Prior to 1913, there was no such thing as an income tax. Roads were still being build without them.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

“I never would have dreamed we would say ‘no,’” Haag said in an interview. “But now, with the real estimates coming in, it’s a different story. And it’s not all doable.”
    Wow, that person should be fired. The US government can send a man to the moon, but they can't build a road?

Just tell the construction companies to get better lobbyists, it's not rocket science.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Globalist View Post
    Prior to 1913, there was no such thing as an income tax. Roads were still being build without them.
    People lived in the Keys long before A1A. That old grumpy $#@!er @pcosmar probably founded Key West lol.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    People lived in the Keys long before A1A. That old grumpy $#@!er @pcosmar probably founded Key West lol.
    Nope,,,adopted by pirates.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Oh Yeah,, Bull$#@!..

This is more Global warming Seas rising crap..and is simply untrue.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    Oh Yeah,, Bull$#@!..

It's a shame, though, isn't it? I'd like to see the Obamas' new front porch doing dock duty.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    We believe our lying eyes...

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    Oh Yeah,, Bull$#@!..

Exactly. The wikipedia for rising sea level even says:

"The sea level will not rise uniformly everywhere on Earth, and it will even drop in some locations."

Which just goes to show that they don't have even a basic understanding of how water works.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I remember them forcing through a Sewer project that was unneeded and over priced.

Then they forced Utilities on No Name Key . A whole Off Grid Island,, or it was.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Muh roads. Lol. Get a swamp boat.

Florida Keys Deliver a Hard Message: As Seas Rise, Some Places Can't Be Saved

Don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Globalist View Post
    Hahaha simple fool, people didn't exist back then, and if they did they only lived to be 13 yrs old.
    "It's probably the biggest hoax since Big Foot!" - Mitt Romney 1-16-2012 SC Debate

Obviously some people just aren't voting hard enough.
    Chris

"Government ... does not exist of necessity, but rather by virtue of a tragic, almost comical combination of klutzy, opportunistic terrorism against sitting ducks whom it pretends to shelter, plus our childish phobia of responsibility, praying to be exempted from the hard reality of life on life's terms." Wolf DeVoon

"...Make America Great Again. I'm interested in making American FREE again. Then the greatness will come automatically."Ron Paul

Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan View Post
    Wow, that person should be fired. The US government can send a man to the moon, but they can't build a road?

Just tell the construction companies to get better lobbyists, it's not rocket science.
    https://governmentisgood.com
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

2.5 mm per year. Oh my tubes and wires! Gimee that Federal money now!!!
    https://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/sl...tml?id=8724580

XNN
    "They sell us the president the same way they sell us our clothes and our cars. They sell us every thing from youth to religion the same time they sell us our wars. I want to know who the men in the shadows are. I want to hear somebody asking them why. They can be counted on to tell us who our enemies are but theyre never the ones to fight or to die." - Jackson Browne Lives In The Balance

SLR (sea level rides) comes with the delightful benefit of free whale-roads.

No, the panics they incited in years past have proven salutary. They are very careful to talk of tipping points and far off future consequences.

So all those years of federally subsidized insurance isn't enough? They want roads, too?

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.