Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: War on the Electoral College

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    It will go to SCOTUS if it ever becomes active.
    You think so? If it reaches 270 they would amend the constitution?

We're being governed ruled by a geriatric Alzheimer patient/puppet whose strings are being pulled by an elitist oligarchy who believe they can manage the world... imagine the utter maniacal, sociopathic hubris!

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Getting rid of the electoral college will make it a lot easier for Democrats to win elections.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Quote Originally Posted by Pauls' Revere View Post
    You think so? If it reaches 270 they would amend the constitution?
    I don't think they will amend anything, I think they will attempt to use the agreement when it hits 270 and the "losing" candidate will sue.

SCOTUS should reject the agreement as unconstitutional.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by AGRP View Post
    Go ahead and end it. Hopefully the other 48 states outside of NY and CA will throw a big stink over not having the power they thought they did. The quicker people wake up the quicker this country heals.
    Honestly I think the best thing that could happen is Bernie wins and the democrats take command of both houses of congress. They enact all the "reforms" from getting rid of electoral college to sweeping gun control and what ever else their delusional corrupted hearts desires. The left wont be able to help themselves from over playing their hand and it's the only chance we have for people to truly wake up.
    "The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." —Jeff Cooper

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars.

Quote Originally Posted by TomtheTinker View Post
    Honestly I think the best thing that could happen is Bernie wins and the democrats take command of both houses of congress. They enact all the "reforms" from getting rid of electoral college to sweeping gun control and what ever else their delusional corrupted hearts desires. The left wont be able to help themselves from over playing their hand and it's the only chance we have for people to truly wake up.
    Sadly, I think your right.

We're being governed ruled by a geriatric Alzheimer patient/puppet whose strings are being pulled by an elitist oligarchy who believe they can manage the world... imagine the utter maniacal, sociopathic hubris!

I don't think they will amend anything, I think they will attempt to use the agreement when it hits 270 and the "losing" candidate will sue.

SCOTUS should reject the agreement as unconstitutional.
    If the SCOTUS isn't stuffed with judges that agree with it.

If the SCOTUS isn't stuffed with judges that agree with it.
    That's one reason we need to keep Trump.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

That's one reason we need to keep Trump.
    Hypothetically speaking, what would happen if there was no Supreme Court?

Would they let 9 people stand in their way?

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Hypothetically speaking, what would happen if there was no Supreme Court?

Would they let 9 people stand in their way?
    If there was no SCOTUS there would be some other way to challenge its constitutionality.

If they want to secede over the EC I welcome that and if they uprise they can be put down with prejudice for trying to conquer the rest of us.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

If there was no SCOTUS there would be some other way to challenge its constitutionality.

If they want to secede over the EC I welcome that and if they uprise they can be put down with prejudice for trying to conquer the rest of us.
    Assuming they have regard for The Constitution.

Assuming they have regard for The Constitution.
    That's why I mentioned secession and uprising.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

That's why I mentioned secession and uprising.
    If the EC goes, its over.

If the EC goes, its over.
    Yup.

Lights out.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

I'm in favor of the Electoral College, wonder what Biden thinks about this?

https://www.brookings.edu/policy2020...toral-college/

Ways to abolish the Electoral College
    The U.S. Constitution created the Electoral College but did not spell out how the votes get awarded to presidential candidates. That vagueness has allowed some states such as Maine and Nebraska to reject “winner-take-all” at the state level and instead allocate votes at the congressional district level. However, the Constitution’s lack of specificity also presents the opportunity that states could allocate their Electoral College votes through some other means.

One such mechanism that a number of states already support is an interstate pact that honors the national popular vote. Since 2008, 15 states and the District of Columbia have passed laws to adopt the National Popular Vote Interstate Compact (NPVIC), which is an multi-state agreement to commit electors to vote for candidates who win the nationwide popular vote, even if that candidate loses the popular vote within their state. The NPVIC would become effective only if states ratify it to reach an electoral majority of 270 votes.

Right now, the NPVIC is well short of that goal and would require an additional 74 electoral votes to take effect. It also faces some particular challenges. First, it is unclear how voters would respond if their state electors collectively vote against the popular vote of their state. Second, there are no binding legal repercussions if a state elector decides to defect from the national popular vote. Third, given the Tenth Circuit decision in the Baca v. Hickenlooper case described above, the NPVIC is almost certain to face constitutional challenges should it ever gain enough electoral votes to go into effect.

A more permanent solution would be to amend the Constitution itself. That is a laborious process and a constitutional amendment to abolish the Electoral College would require significant consensus—at least two-thirds affirmation from both the House and Senate, and approval from at least 38 out of 50 states. But Congress has nearly reached this threshold in the past. Congress nearly eradicated the Electoral College in 1934, falling just two Senate votes short of passage.

However, the conversation did not end after the unsuccessful vote, legislators have continued to debate ending or reforming the Electoral College since. In 1979, another Senate vote to establish a direct popular vote failed, this time by just three votes. Nonetheless, conversation continued: the 95th Congress proposed a total of 41 relevant amendments in 1977 and 1978, and the 116th Congress has already introduced three amendments to end the Electoral College. In total, over the last two centuries, there have been over 700 proposals to either eradicate or seriously modify the Electoral College. It is time to move ahead with abolishing the Electoral College before its clear failures undermine public confidence in American democracy, distort the popular will, and create a genuine constitutional crisis.

I wonder if this will be on the Dems radar the next 4 years or just slowly chip away at the EC state by state
    I ask unanimous consent to revise and extend my remarks.

I will admit that I am somewhat ignorant of the original intent of the Founders regarding the Electoral College, and have some reading to do. Surely, it sounds undemocratic, but the Founders didn't care so much for direct democracies, and their capricious and vacillating character.

To this point, however, I do believe that Founders found the office of President to be precarious, and only meant to be a figurehead and a final check on the powers of Congress. But the Constitutional caveat into which we currently fall is that the federal government itself was meant to be much less consequential than it has become. With such limited scope, Presidential elections should've been much less contentious.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345