Thread: Free Talk Live Interviews Shelly Roche Tonight

Free Talk Live Interviews Shelly Roche Tonight

http://cdn1.libsyn.com/ftl/FTL2009-0...bfc947c4b8ff88. It was a great interview, further showing that FTL is a powerhouse in the liberty movement.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Shelly is highly considering the Free State Project. Listen to the interview.

It's a good interview. Too bad the loser calls in with a silly comment. Shelly does a great job, though.

And even though I am a huge fan of the FSP (clearly, I did join and move), I'd still like to call Ian of FTL out on one of his statements. While NH was one of the top primary states (and did very well compared to the other primary states), Ron Paul did not do better in the NH primary than all of the other primaries.

Shelly explained how she thought RP was going to win NH and that was her first big disappointment in politics. As everyone knows, she has had dozens of big disappointments since then. The pro-freedom side almost always loses when it comes to elections and votes. Of course, some of us are working to change that. I'm glad that even though Shelly is new to politics and very inexperienced (as she says in the interview), she is learning to take the loses in stride.

On a related note, even though I've been in politics for ten years, most of my freedom related wins have happened since I moved to NH last September.
    Lifetime member of more than 1 national gun organization and the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance. Part of Young Americans for Liberty and Campaign for Liberty. Free State Project participant and multi-year Free Talk Live AMPlifier.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith and stuff View Post
    It's a good interview. Too bad the loser calls in with a silly comment. Shelly does a great job, though.

And even though I am a huge fan of the FSP (clearly, I did join and move), I'd still like to call Ian of FTL out on one of his statements. While NH was one of the top primary states (and did very well compared to the other primary states), Ron Paul did not do better in the NH primary than all of the other primaries.

Shelly explained how she thought RP was going to win NH and that was her first big disappointment in politics. As everyone knows, she has had dozens of big disappointments since then. The pro-freedom side almost always loses when it comes to elections and votes. Of course, some of us are working to change that. I'm glad that even though Shelly is new to politics and very inexperienced (as she says in the interview), she is learning to take the loses in stride.

On a related note, even though I've been in politics for ten years, most of my freedom related wins have happened since I moved to NH last September.
    RP did do better in NH than other places when you consider that all major GOP candidates were in the race in NH, and not in later races. Oh, and Keith is the NH Liberty Activist of the Year, so he can say whatever he wants.

Quote Originally Posted by FSP-Rebel View Post
    RP did do better in NH than other places when you consider that all major GOP candidates were in the race in NH, and not in later races. Oh, and Keith is the NH Liberty Activist of the Year, so he can say whatever he wants.
    It's true that NH has the first in the nation primary and is the most competitive state when it comes to the presidency. However, even I must admit that I was very happy with how well Ron Paul did in the (sadly at the time, meaningless) PA primary.

Anyway, more to the point, if the amateurs that ran the Ron Paul campaign in NH really thought they were going to win, it shows how off they were. Hopefully all of the Operation Live Free or Die folks are all much less noob now, just like Shelly.

I didn't win NH Liberty Activist of the Year, ok, I did. However, I won that award by the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance. It's not like I was the best activist in NH or anything.
    Lifetime member of more than 1 national gun organization and the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance. Part of Young Americans for Liberty and Campaign for Liberty. Free State Project participant and multi-year Free Talk Live AMPlifier.

I didn't win NH Liberty Activist of the Year, ok, I did. However, I won that award by the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance. It's not like I was the best activist in NH or anything.
    Awesome! I haven't heard about this yet. Mind sharing the story?

What statement, Keith, is it that you want to call Ian out on?

Quote Originally Posted by UnReconstructed View Post
    Oooh, freestater fight. Tell me more!

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Don't get me wrong, I'm Ian's friend. Nevertheless, I don't mind correcting my friends Feel free to correct me if you think that I'm wrong.

Ian claimed during the FTL interview with Shelly that RP did better in the NH primary than any other state primary. I'm pretty sure that the 8% RP got in NH was actually around 3-4th best. It was the best of the early states but RP got a higher percentage of votes in PA and other states.
    Last edited by Keith and stuff; 07-17-2009 at 01:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRey View Post
    Awesome! I haven't heard about this yet. Mind sharing the story?
    I organized New Hampshire Liberty Alliance tri-fold handouts (pdf warning) at four freedom rallies in the state and worked a NHLA table at a couple of other events. I reviewed bills for the NHLA and helped decided which bills would go on the NHLA annual report card.

I helped organize the Boston End the Fed Rally.

I was the key person working against the adult seat belt bill which involved organizing dozens of people to contact thousands of people. NH is still the only state without adult seat belt laws. I worked hard for several pro-freedom bills in NH: helped organize rallies, drive people to rallies, testify before committees, call, email and sent post cards state reps and state senators.

I helped on nine state representative campaigns. Four of them were successful and one RP Republican only lost by sixty votes. I donated to the NHLA and a couple NHLA endorsed/ RP supporting candidates.

Then there is all of the national political stuff, online activism and non-political stuff but the NHLA didn't consider that when deciding the Activist of the Year Award.

Don't get me wrong, I'm Ian's friend. Nevertheless, I don't mind correcting my friends Feel free to correct me if you think that I'm wrong.

Ian claimed during the FTL interview with Shelly that RP did better in the NH primary than any other state primary. I'm pretty sure that the 8% RP got in NH was actually around 3-4th best. It was the best of the early states but RP got a higher percentage of votes in PA and other states.
    I agree that the PA % was higher, but it can't be compared to the 1st in the nation primary where 10-11 GOP candidates were all there watering down RP's potential vote totals - plus all the candidates spent significant amounts of money on the state. Plus, the racist card was pulled on Ron the day before the primary by our former friend, Tucker Carlson - why he was allowed to emcee the Rally for the Republic was beyond me. And, Ron wasn't allowed in the Fox news debate preceding the primary. The deck was completely stacked against Paul at that stage of the game, plus the media was doing their best to ignore him and us. So, with that said, the 8% tally in NH was the best, period. No offense to the other states, just saying.

I organized New Hampshire Liberty Alliance tri-fold handouts (pdf warning) at four freedom rallies in the state and worked a NHLA table at a couple of other events. I reviewed bills for the NHLA and helped decided which bills would go on the NHLA annual report card.

I helped organize the Boston End the Fed Rally.

I was the key person working against the adult seat belt bill which involved organizing dozens of people to contact thousands of people. NH is still the only state without adult seat belt laws. I worked hard for several pro-freedom bills in NH: helped organize rallies, drive people to rallies, testify before committees, call, email and sent post cards state reps and state senators.

I helped on nine state representative campaigns. Four of them were successful and one RP Republican only lost by sixty votes. I donated to the NHLA and a couple NHLA endorsed/ RP supporting candidates.

Then there is all of the national political stuff, online activism and non-political stuff but the NHLA didn't consider that when deciding the Activist of the Year Award.
    Wow, you're an activism dynamo!

In the immortal words of Wolf Blitzer, "amazing...amazing!"

Tell me, is NH really as glorious as it sounds? I'm dying to make the move, but my dad has all of these preconceived notions about what it must be like up there. He's utterly convinced that NH must be at least 10 below 0 for 8 out of 12 months, and full of cranky, big-city northerners. I keep trying to explain to him that New Hampshire is vastly different from northeastern urban centers like New York or Washington, D.C., and that it has an extremely versatile topography and geography ranging from bustling cities and small towns to rural homesteads and rocky beaches, but he just won't believe me. He thinks I've drunk some kind of "Free Stater Kool-Aid" and that it simply isn't possible that the activism going on is as potent and successful as I've been led to believe (by hypnotically persuasive, Sun Myung Moon-like FSP cult-leaders )

He's a terrific guy and incredibly supportive, but he's got such a defeatist and nihilistic attitude sometimes. He was incredibly invested in the Ron Paul campaign and felt terribly let down by his failure. Another contributing factor to this defeatist mentality, in my opinion, is that he seems to believe that the only path to liberty is through the political means, when some of the greatest Free State victories have been with civil disobedience and market-based activism.

Sorry, I don't mean to ramble. It's just that I've never had the chance to ask an actual Free Stater about the experience. Are you from the New England area originally, or were you one of the "globe-trekkers"? Was the move shocking on any level, cultural, familial, or climatological?

Wow, you're an activism dynamo!

In the immortal words of Wolf Blitzer, "amazing...amazing!"

Tell me, is NH really as glorious as it sounds? I'm dying to make the move, but my dad has all of these preconceived notions about what it must be like up there. He's utterly convinced that NH must be at least 10 below 0 for 8 out of 12 months, and full of cranky, big-city northerners. I keep trying to explain to him that New Hampshire is vastly different from northeastern urban centers like New York or Washington, D.C., and that it has an extremely versatile topography and geography ranging from bustling cities and small towns to rural homesteads and rocky beaches, but he just won't believe me. He thinks I've drunk some kind of "Free Stater Kool-Aid" and that it simply isn't possible that the activism going on is as potent and successful as I've been led to believe (by hypnotically persuasive, Sun Myung Moon-like FSP cult-leaders )

He's a terrific guy and incredibly supportive, but he's got such a defeatist and nihilistic attitude sometimes. He was incredibly invested in the Ron Paul campaign and felt terribly let down by his failure. Another contributing factor to this defeatist mentality, in my opinion, is that he seems to believe that the only path to liberty is through the political means, when some of the greatest Free State victories have been with civil disobedience and market-based activism.

Sorry, I don't mean to ramble. It's just that I've never had the chance to ask an actual Free Stater about the experience. Are you from the New England area originally, or were you one of the "globe-trekkers"? Was the move shocking on any level, cultural, familial, or climatological?
    Let me refer your interests and questions to http://forum.freestateproject.org. Regarding the so-called cold weather, here's a comparison of both summer and winter temps between VA and NH: http://forum.freestateproject.org/in...?topic=18455.0. It shows that NH temps are on average, less than 10 degrees cooler than in VA on a year round basis. NH is even warmer if you live on the seacoast in the Hampton, Portsmouth, and Seabrook areas. Oh, and I love NH. I just moved a month and a half ago and I have no complaints other than why didn't I move sooner.

Tell me, is NH really as glorious as it sounds?
    I guess that depends who you have been talking to. Just a few days ago, the updated versions of 101 Reasons to Move to NH was published. Check it out and show it to your dad maybe now or in a few weeks when it will be a pdf file, http://www.freestateproject.org/101Reasons

He's utterly convinced that NH must be at least 10 below 0 for 8 out of 12 months, and full of cranky, big-city northerners.
    That's ridiculous. I don't know where you live but here is Manchester, NH compared to one of the warmest parts of VA, http://forum.freestateproject.org/in...?topic=18455.0

The largest city in NH has 110,000 people. The largest city in ME is about the same size. The largest city in VT has around 35,000 people. It's true that Boston is only 35 minutes from the NH border, but there are no big cities in Northern New England.

I keep trying to explain to him that New Hampshire is vastly different from northeastern urban centers like New York or Washington, D.C., and that it has an extremely versatile topography and geography ranging from bustling cities and small towns to rural homesteads and rocky beaches, but he just won't believe me.
    NH ranges from smooth beaches to Mt Washington (the windiest place on Earth). I live in a mountain valley and love it.

He's a terrific guy and incredibly supportive, but he's got such a defeatist and nihilistic attitude sometimes. He was incredibly invested in the Ron Paul campaign and felt terribly let down by his failure.
    That happened to some of the noobs. I never expected Ron Paul to come anything close to winning. That didn't stop me for campaigning for him in four states, donating money and leading my local meet up group, though. It was about spreading the message to me, and I think Ron Paul has done a great job doing that.

Another contributing factor to this defeatist mentality, in my opinion, is that he seems to believe that the only path to liberty is through the political means, when some of the greatest Free State victories have been with civil disobedience and market-based activism.
    As you now know, I do a lot of political stuff, much of it successful. I'm also involved in a lot of non-political stuff. I think several different methods are needed but the key isn't the type of activism, it's how well it is done and the amount. That's why concentration is so important.

Sorry, I don't mean to ramble. It's just that I've never had the chance to ask an actual Free Stater about the experience.
    There is a big Live Free or Die Festival in Jaffery, NH from August 21st to the 23rd - it's a vendor, speech, band and camping type of thing. You and your dad might want to visit that or the 2010 Liberty Forum in a hotel in Nashua, NH. Give NH a try and talk to the folks. If you decide to come, hit me up first and I'll give you a good welcome.

Are you from the New England area originally, or were you one of the "globe-trekkers"? Was the move shocking on any level, cultural, familial, or climatological?
    I'm from western TN and just moved to NH last summer. I've traveled around the nation a little so I did not find anything shocking about NH. I'm not a big fan of the Boston accent but it's not common in NH outside of a few towns near the MA/NH border. I've lived in Southern states my whole life and I hated the heat so I'm very happen about the cooler weather.

Any more questions, feel free to ask!

Great interview.

BuddyRey, I hope you can make the move someday soon. I'll be making the move myself next month.

Have you considered attending our annual Porcupine Freedom Fest (PorcFest) or New Hampshire Liberty Forum?
    Free State Project
    'Liberty in Our Lifetime!'
    www.FreeStateProject.org

At the end of last night's show, Ian teased that Ron Paul may be on tonight's (Saturday's) Free Talk Live show at 8:30 pm.

Listen live and call in if you want, http://freetalklive.com/

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    At the end of last night's show, Ian teased that Ron Paul may be on tonight's (Saturday's) Free Talk Live show at 8:30 pm.

really good to have you here, Keith.
    The ultimate minority is the individual. Protect the individual from Democracy and you will protect all groups of individuals
    Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual. - Thomas Jefferson
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

- Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Quote Originally Posted by FSP-Rebel View Post
    Oooh, freestater fight. Tell me more!
    huh

Oh, well, he may have said that. I didn't listen to that show. So I have no comment other than I agree with you, I think Paul did do better in other states than NH. That doesn't mean anything to me though. The people of the FSP are actually doing something there... running candidates, imo, is pointless.

People can do what they want though so don't any politicos jump in my $#@!.

I just heard that Ron Paul may be on at 7 pm instead. Sorry, I'm not sure either way. Don't worry though. If you miss the interview, you can always download the podcast. Otherwise, the link to the interview should be on the FTL website for a while.

Oh, well, he may have said that. I didn't listen to that show. So I have no comment other than I agree with you, I think Paul did do better in other states than NH. That doesn't mean anything to me though. The people of the FSP are actually doing something there... running candidates, imo, is pointless.

People can do what they want though so don't any politicos jump in my $#@!.
    Pointless in what regard? I would agree that federal politics is a sinking ship (though I will support Rand and Schiff if only in order to help further spread the message, and at best to have a voice of reason in the Senate.)

However, at least on the state level, running candidates in New Hampshire is quite fruitful! "On average, each [NH] legislator represents about 3,000 residents. If the same level of representation were present in the U.S. Congress, that body would have approximately 99,000 members, according to current population estimates." (Wikipedia) So it's much easier for a candidate to meet most, if not all, of their electors (and win!)

We've already elected 6 Free Staters to the New Hampshire House of Representatives, and dozens of others have been voted into local offices around the state. An organization, the NH Liberty Alliance, reviews every single bill that comes before both Houses, organizes rallies and speakers supporting/opposing major bills, and grades each legislator in a yearly report card based on their pro-/anti-liberty votes. I'd say that's pretty effective, given that I'd hear about threats to my liberty by my old state legislature only after they were passed.

If you're an out-of-the-system activist, that's great: I want more acts of civil disobedience! Just pointing out though, that if one chooses the politico route here, I'd say it's far from 'pointless.'
    Free State Project
    www.FreeStateProject.org

I just heard that Ron Paul may be on at 7 pm instead. Sorry, I'm not sure either way. Don't worry though. If you miss the interview, you can always download the podcast. Otherwise, the link to the interview should be on the FTL website for a while.
    I'll be listening!

One can also watch & listen to their live studio cam (w/ chatroom): http://cam.freetalklive.com/
    Free State Project
    www.FreeStateProject.org

Pointless in that the very first day on the job these people violate liberty... swearing an oath to the federal constitution or even a state constitution is a violation of liberty. Having a "representative" at any level is a violation of self ownership.

Pointless in that the very first day on the job these people violate liberty... swearing an oath to the federal constitution or even a state constitution is a violation of liberty. Having a "representative" at any level is a violation of self ownership.
    I agree, but listen to Free Talk Live for the goods. Trust in FTL, they have an anarchist and a minarchist in the host box. They will explain everything in time.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.