Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hagel has the votes

Hagel has the votes

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Barring any new, damaging information, Chuck Hagel has secured the necessary votes for the Senate to confirm him to be the nation's next defense secretary. A vote ending the bitter fight over President Barack Obama's Cabinet choice is expected next week.

Hagel cleared the threshold when five-term Republican Sen. Richard Shelby of Alabama said he would vote for the former two-term GOP senator from Nebraska after joining other Republicans last week in an unprecedented filibuster of the Pentagon nominee.

"He's probably as good as we're going to get," Shelby told the Decatur (Ala.) Daily.
    cont
    http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...02-21-17-51-19

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    He's had the votes for a month, at least, according to every list I've seen.
    "Integrity means having to say things that people don't want to hear & especially to say things that the regime doesn't want to hear.” -Ron Paul

"Bathtub falls and police officers kill more Americans than terrorism, yet we've been asked to sacrifice our most sacred rights for fear of falling victim to it." -Edward Snowden

Quote Originally Posted by sailingaway View Post
    He's had the votes for a month, at least, according to every list I've seen.
    You should go to work for The Hill.

It's not stopping the neo-Trots and the (former) conservatives they infected with their sick, endless, preemptive war ideology from pitching more TTs over it, I see.
    Last edited by Lucille; 02-21-2013 at 05:42 PM.
    Based on the idea of natural rights, government secures those rights to the individual by strictly negative intervention, making justice costless and easy of access; and beyond that it does not go. The State, on the other hand, both in its genesis and by its primary intention, is purely anti-social. It is not based on the idea of natural rights, but on the idea that the individual has no rights except those that the State may provisionally grant him. It has always made justice costly and difficult of access, and has invariably held itself above justice and common morality whenever it could advantage itself by so doing.
    --Albert J. Nock

LOL at all of the hand wringing over Hagel. For the record Richard Shelby was elected as a democrat.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

It is a sickening side show.
    "Integrity means having to say things that people don't want to hear & especially to say things that the regime doesn't want to hear.” -Ron Paul

"Bathtub falls and police officers kill more Americans than terrorism, yet we've been asked to sacrifice our most sacred rights for fear of falling victim to it." -Edward Snowden

just in clarification, I think he's awful. I just think the awful parts are going to be in anyone Obama nominates, and Hagel is likely the best we'd get.

What bugs me more than anything is the reasoning behind the blocking of his nomination. Bunch of AIPAC tools.
    "Power tends to confuse itself with virtue...conferring upon it a special responsibility for other nations—to make them richer and happier and wiser, to remake them, that is, in its own shining image. Power confuses itself with virtue and tends also to take itself for omnipotence. Once imbued with the idea of a mission, a great nation easily assumes that it has the means as well as the duty to do God's work." - William Fulbright

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Hagel's anti Israel positions are one of the main reasons to oppose his nomination. He does have some other positions on foreign policy that are actually good, but he just has a hatred for that country that makes him support a highly interventionist foreign policy when it comes to Israel.

I don't have a problem with Hagel's Israel position at all since he's actually right. He can't possibly be a worse defense secretary than Rumsfeld. I want him confirmed simply because Hannity, Beck, Levin, Kristol, and Santorum have fought him so hard.
    ...but when the trumpets blew again and the knights charged, the name they cried was "Stannis! Stannis! STANNIS!"

The Globalists get what the Globalists want. Every time. Hearings, commissions, and the "debate" we see between the talking heads are nothing more than window dressing.

Hagel had the job before Obama placed his name into nomination.
    “The people of the various provinces are strictly forbidden to have in their possession any swords, bows, spears, firearms, or other type of arms. The possession of these elements makes difficult the collection of taxes and dues and tends to permit uprising, therefore, the heads of the provinces, official agents, and deputies are ordered to collect all weapons mentioned above and turn them over to the government.”

Toyotomi Hideyshi, Shogun, August 29, 1558

Quote Originally Posted by jmdrake View Post
    LOL at all of the hand wringing over Hagel. For the record Richard Shelby was elected as a democrat.
    So was Larry McDonald and he was arguably the most conservative member of Congress of the past 100 years.

Quote Originally Posted by COpatriot View Post
    I don't have a problem with Hagel's Israel position at all since he's actually right. He can't possibly be a worse defense secretary than Rumsfeld. I want him confirmed simply because Hannity, Beck, Levin, Kristol, and Santorum have fought him so hard.
    That's understandable, but it would kill Rand politically to vote in favor of confirming Hagel.

Chuck Schumer: Chuck Hagel ‘almost had tears’ in meeting

New York Sen. Chuck Schumer said Wednesday that Chuck Hagel “almost had tears in his eyes” as he explained to the former Nebraska senator that the expression “Jewish lobby” is rooted in a negative depiction of Jews.

Schumer made the remarks about President Barack Obama’s pick for defense secretary at a breakfast in lower Manhattan hosted by the Association for a Better New York and the Downtown Alliance.

“Look, I had doubts about Sen. Hagel when his name was first floated, and I expressed those publicly on ‘Meet The Press’ and other places,” Schumer said. “And the president called me and said, ‘Before you come out with any decision, please sit down and talk to him.’ That was only fair.”

Schumer said he spent 90 minutes asking Hagel questions — including about a “nuclear Iran” — and “he answered them very well.”

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2013/0...#ixzz2Lav39C00
    -

There you have it, straight from the horses mouth and that's why Hagel has the votes. He's a neocon tool notwithstanding his past statements which he has completely disavowed to get the job and has pledged allegiance to the Jewish State.

Wonder what the anti-war crowd are thinking now? They look like fools for supporting him or even caring about him and how Rand Paul votes for him. Just another reason to blow off hot air and attack the only libertarian senator.
    Last edited by itshappening; 02-21-2013 at 09:23 PM.

just in clarification, I think he's awful. I just think the awful parts are going to be in anyone Obama nominates, and Hagel is likely the best we'd get.
    Things will stay the same, don't worry.
    ----

Ron Paul Forum's Mission Statement:

Inspired by US Rep. Ron Paul of Texas, this site is dedicated to facilitating grassroots initiatives that aim to restore a sovereign limited constitutional Republic based on the rule of law, states' rights and individual rights. We seek to enshrine the original intent of our Founders to foster respect for private property, seek justice, provide opportunity, and to secure individual liberty for ourselves and our posterity.

Quote Originally Posted by itshappening View Post
    There you have it, straight from the horses mouth and that's why Hagel has the votes. He's a neocon tool notwithstanding his past statements which he has completely disavowed to get the job and has pledged allegiance to the Jewish State.
    Aren't you Hagel's #1 fan? You were pushing for him pretty hard.
    ----

Inspired by US Rep. Ron Paul of Texas, this site is dedicated to facilitating grassroots initiatives that aim to restore a sovereign limited constitutional Republic based on the rule of law, states' rights and individual rights. We seek to enshrine the original intent of our Founders to foster respect for private property, seek justice, provide opportunity, and to secure individual liberty for ourselves and our posterity.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Traditional Conservative View Post
    That's understandable, but it would kill Rand politically to vote in favor of confirming Hagel.
    Of course it would which is why he'll vote against him and I understand that completely. If he voted to confirm the AM radio jagoffs and the RedState/Breitfart nuts would work night and day to sink him.
    ...but when the trumpets blew again and the knights charged, the name they cried was "Stannis! Stannis! STANNIS!"

Of course it would which is why he'll vote against him and I understand that completely. If he voted to confirm the AM radio jagoffs and the RedState/Breitfart nuts would work night and day to sink him.
    Rand Paul is a Constitutionalist, he'll vote against Hagel.
    ----

I don't know if Rand will vote against him or not. He still says that he's undecided. He has a little bit of cover since three other Republicans say they're going to vote to confirm him.

Hagel's nomination means that the Secretary of Defense for the first time in many decades will finally be about Defense and not War.

Hagel is not pro-peace, but he's our best shot at ending the war in Afghanistan. Imagine all the evil men Obama could have picked instead and then consider that Hagel was, in many ways, closer to us than DeMint or Lee. You won't see DeMint criticizing the Jewish* lobby.

*not all Jews obviously.
    Inactive

List of Liberty-minded candidates for Congress in 2014
    Party: Libertarian (since registration) / Religion: none (Ignostic)

“If while on your way you meet no one your equal or better, steadily continue on your way alone. There is no fellowship with fools.”
    ― Dhammapada, v. 61

"Asking why there are no Libertarian countries is akin to asking why there are no Atheist Theocracies." - #AncapJackal

Quote Originally Posted by Smart3 View Post
    Hagel's nomination means that the Secretary of Defense for the first time in many decades will finally be about Defense and not War.

Hagel is not pro-peace, but he's our best shot at ending the war in Afghanistan. Imagine all the evil men Obama could have picked instead and then consider that Hagel was, in many ways, closer to us than DeMint or Lee. You won't see DeMint criticizing the Jewish* lobby.

*not all Jews obviously.
    What wars did Hagel vote against as a U.S Senator?

Quote Originally Posted by FrankRep View Post
    Aren't you Hagel's #1 fan? You were pushing for him pretty hard.
    Like Richard Shelby I think he's the best we're going to get.

But that doesn't mean he's anti-war or anything. He's pretty much bent his knee to Chuck Schumer and Israel by crying and pledging allegiance to them.

Hagel's anti Israel positions are one of the main reasons to oppose his nomination. He does have some other positions on foreign policy that are actually good, but he just has a hatred for that country that makes him support a highly interventionist foreign policy when it comes to Israel.
    He voted for a ton of stuff for Israel and resolutions. He just didn't vote for EVERYTHING.

Show me one place he was 'anti Israel' where 'anti' really means against, not just missing a hoop others jumped through.

He supported Iraq initially but was one of the first to turn against it, so he is remembered as being against it.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    He supported Iraq initially but was one of the first to turn against it, so he is remembered as being against it.
    That's like dropping a nuclear bomb from a plane and before it reaches the ground you broadcast on a radio that you are against the use of nuclear armaments, so that you will be remembered as being against the destructive force of the explosion the whole time.

lol
    Last edited by MRK; 02-21-2013 at 11:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MRK View Post
    That's like dropping a nuclear bomb from a plane and before it reaches the ground you broadcast on a radio that you are against the use of nuclear armaments.
    It is as to that action, although I think he voted against funding surges and stuff, I don't remember precisely. But if it was an honest change of mind, it would impact future decisions. It means he isn't scared of saying some military funding isn't worth it, is the idea. I don't think he's great, but who is better who is potentially on the list?

He may have voted against Kosovo intervention, although most Republicans except for the McCains of the party voted that way as well.

I don't think anyone ever doubted his confirmation, it's just been a question of how long the filibuster would be.

e.g. Intrade has consistently had him over %90 chance: http://www.intrade.com/v4/markets/co...tractId=769541
    Benton/Collins 2016

Hagel's anti Israel positions are one of the main reasons to oppose his nomination.
    What anti-Israel positions?

Chuck Hagel is a friend to Israel

CNN
    January 14, 2013

It's clear from the coverage of the nomination of former Sen. Chuck Hagel for the 24th secretary of defense that many of those opposing him do not know him personally, as I do. The facts speak for themselves: His record shows strong support for Israel.

Chuck Hagel’s Pro-Israel Record

Think Progress
    Dec 19, 2012

The opposition to Hagel is also centered around the premise that he is somehow “anti-Semitic” and anti-Israel and would be unwilling take action against Iran over its nuclear program. But delving into the Senator’s statements, however, it’s clear that Hagel has a long history of pro-Israel sentiment and concern about Iran. The following is a collection of some of Hagel’s public statements on Israel during his time in the Senate:
    ----

Quote Originally Posted by FrankRep View Post
    Rand Paul is a Constitutionalist, he'll vote against Hagel.
    He's a Zionist ass kisser. That's why he's voting against Hagel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast