Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: My relatives make 20k a year, and live better lifestyles than me making 100k

Quote Originally Posted by mosquitobite View Post
    I applaude the OP for sticking with tithing. God will bless you and don't listen to these guys!

If you haven't done Dave Ramsey's program I highly suggest it.

My husband and I made over $130k together before I quit to stay home with my kids. We now get by on less than half. It's because we live debt free. Think about how this country is slaves to the fed. Same thing with everyday debt. Avoid it at ALLLLL costs!
    I'm glad Dave Ramsey helped you. I wouldn't recommend him to anyone in this forum. He called Peter Schiff an idiot and called Schiff's financial advice ludicrous.
    http://lewrockwell.com/north/north1030.html

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    You guys keep leaving out state income tax, which is 6% in my state. We're actually looking into moving to a state with no income tax.

To the guy who suggested getting a house for a mortgage deduction, we hate debt, and want nothing more than student loans. When those are paid off, we are not getting into debt again. Besides, the 1k a month we pay for rent is far cheaper than the mortgages on the 400k+ houses in this part of town. To find cheaper rent or houses requires us to move so far away from work that we can't walk and bike to work anymore. We'd end up paying more in gas, car expenses and stress from traffic.

I am intelligent enough to know about itemized deductions. If we went this route it would have saved us a thousand dollars or so. Big deal. Did not want to itemize for $1k in savings because most IRS audits are geared to those who itemize. In short, I do not want to risk the headaches for $1k in savings. If it were significantly more than that, then of course I'd itemize.

The student loans are well over six figures. In the line of work one of us is in, most students graduate with over 150k in loans, lots of them over 200k or 300k. We personally know coworkers who owe more than 300k. You would be shocked at what kind of debt people are graduating with these days. If you go to a public university, you are fine. However, if you go to a private university as an undergrad, or a choose to go to any graduate school to pursue higher level education, chances are that you are graduating with tons of debt. I made a poll last year here on RPF, asking how much debt people had. Even people on this forum had over 300k in debt.

[edit] to the person who brought up Obama's loan repayment program that is based on income, it is a scam. Those programs do limit the monthly payment, but they are stretched out over 25 years. If we went this route and had remaining debt forgiven at 25 years, we still would have paid almost as much as if we just hurried up and paid the loans off in 10 years or less. Besides, we want to pay back the full amount since the government stole the money from other tax payers; and we want to pay it back ASAP because we don't want to be in debt for 25 years.
    Last edited by Aden; 02-23-2012 at 04:41 PM.

This thread is so full of crap it's not even funny. If you guys make 100K a year, barely drive your cars and bike to work, never go out to eat, never go to entertainment shows/movies, don't have cell phones, cable or internet, never actually buy furniture, and haven't been on vacation in years...then I question absolutely everything you're saying.

Is it possible for people making 100K a year and barely being able to save money? Absolutely. If you have 2 car payments, a nice apartment, and student loans...sure it's likely you're not banking as much as you'd think. But if you're saying you never buy anything else except for food and you're strapped for cash then you're just plain ole lying and stretching the truth. You made the decision to go to college and put yourself in debt in 150-200K in debt. You made the decision to get a nicer apartment, one that it sounds like you can't afford. Sounds to me like you're just whining about paying 30% in taxes.

Your family is living below the poverty level and you're acting like your jealous of them. Get a 2nd job to pay for your loans, or start a side web business if you need more money. Don't blame the government.
    Last edited by Combs84; 02-23-2012 at 04:46 PM.

Sounds to me like you're just whining about paying 30% in taxes.
    I am. Glad you got the point of this thread.

6. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Don't blame the government.
    It's impossible not to when pretty much everything can be made better by making governments smaller.

Combs84 is the new Resident Doucher. Onlyrp has officially been supplanted.

Doucherz 4 lyfe, bitchezzz.

Quote Originally Posted by Aden View Post
    I am intelligent enough to know about itemized deductions. If we went this route it would have saved us a thousand dollars or so. Big deal. Did not want to itemize for $1k in savings because most IRS audits are geared to those who itemize. In short, I do not want to risk the headaches for $1k in savings. If it were significantly more than that, then of course I'd itemize.
    The IRS focuses on returns with a low effective tax rate, not just itemized deductions. They know there is no point in going after people who already pay a high rate. I would suggest taking all the deductions you can. Also limiting your church/charitable giving to what you can deduct, and taking that deduction.
    The student loans are well over six figures. In the line of work one of us is in, most students graduate with over 150k in loans, lots of them over 200k or 300k. We personally know coworkers who owe more than 300k. You would be shocked at what kind of debt people are graduating with these days. If you go to a public university, you are fine. However, if you go to a private university as an undergrad, or a choose to go to any graduate school to pursue higher level education, chances are that you are graduating with tons of debt. I made a poll last year here on RPF, asking how much debt people had. Even people on this forum had over 300k in debt.
    The banksters want their something-for-nothing. You are paying for it by getting nothing for something (your skilled labor). Simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Combs84 View Post
    This thread is so full of crap it's not even funny. If you guys make 100K a year, barely drive your cars and bike to work, never go out to eat, never go to entertainment shows/movies, don't have cell phones, cable or internet, never actually buy furniture, and haven't been on vacation in years...then I question absolutely everything you're saying.

Is it possible for people making 100K a year and barely being able to save money? Absolutely. If you have 2 car payments, a nice apartment, and student loans...sure it's likely you're not banking as much as you'd think. But if you're saying you never buy anything else except for food and you're strapped for cash then you're just plain ole lying and stretching the truth. You made the decision to go to college and put yourself in debt in 150-200K in debt. You made the decision to get a nicer apartment, one that it sounds like you can't afford. Sounds to me like you're just whining about paying 30% in taxes.

Your family is living below the poverty level and you're acting like your jealous of them. Get a 2nd job to pay for your loans, or start a side web business if you need more money. Don't blame the government.

Why not?

A lot of commenters seem to be missing the bigger point here. Even if it is not quite literally true that OP is worse off than those who make $20K, it is still ludicrous that it is even close. There's not a whole lot of incentive to 'move up', work hard and make a decent middle class income, if your real gains are partly eaten up by taxes and partly nonexistent because the government would have given you all that stuff for free anyway. I mean, suppose you make the case that OP is actually $10K per year better off (in some sense), rather than worse off, compared to those with a $20K income... that still means that the vast majority of the gains are completely eaten by government.

welcome to land of the free home of the brave? Its almost better to own nothing at all now as long as you got a roof and food.

Did your relatives have student loans? It appears that you invested in your future earning potential, and did not make out very well.

Frankly, I live quite well on way below what you are taking in, but that also has to do with geography. I also think that folks who believe it's dandy and easy to make it on very little have not actually been there. Some folks have no scruples, and will be happy to live off of the Government. It sounds like your family members do have jobs. The wives are not working... who would pay for daycare/a sitter? At a certain income level, it really does not pay to get a "second income" that only serves to pay for itself.

Do taxes suck? Absolutely. Is it all the evil Government's fault that the OP feels they live less comfortably than someone making $20k? Absolutely not.

You guys keep leaving out state income tax, which is 6% in my state. We're actually looking into moving to a state with no income tax.
    You're complaining about an additional 6% of your income, while you "cheerfully" donate 10% to charity? Did you even write it off as a deduction?

15. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by furface View Post
    No kids, no mortgage and 85k per year? I can totally believe a 30% effective tax rate. The MINIMUM federal tax rate is 14% for SS & medicare (including employer contributions). FICA goes down eventually, but not at 85k. It's bracketed, but the average federal rate from 0 to 85k is about 16% for married jointly. That's 30% just federal, so with state+local then deductions and exemptions, 30% totally is plausible.

But, personally I don't worry too much about people getting things like free medical care and food stamps from the government. If governments are going to hand money out, it's better to hand it out to everyday people instead of government unions & bureaucrats who to a large degree are predatory towards honest, productive people in society.
    Exactly. While I love to get free food stamps and free medical care, I am not that jealous they get it and I don't. Because the only harm done would be IF they fully used it and I fully did, while having to pay when I do. That's not the case, I don't use medical care (doomed if an emergency happens, but until then I'm saving that cost to take risk). They can try to sell their food stamps for cash, but they can't do that with medical services, as somebody mentioned above (I didn't even know), medical bills can be tax deductible, also, most jobs that pay above 50K have a benefits plan, don't they (assuming it's a salaried job, and not 1099)?

Last and most important difference is WHERE the poor people live, would you trade where you live to live where they are? If not, don't say they live better than you.

Quote Originally Posted by raystone View Post
    I'm glad Dave Ramsey helped you. I wouldn't recommend him to anyone in this forum. He called Peter Schiff an idiot and called Schiff's financial advice ludicrous.
    http://lewrockwell.com/north/north1030.html
    Dave Ramsey is good for people who need to learn being debt free. Which is common sense for any Peter Schiff or Ron Paul fan. I wouldn't trust him for savings or investment advice though.

To the guy who suggested getting a house for a mortgage deduction, we hate debt, and want nothing more than student loans.
    Buying a house with the intention of saving taxes is silly, it's not a way to save money, especially if you hate debt.

When those are paid off, we are not getting into debt again. Besides, the 1k a month we pay for rent is far cheaper than the mortgages on the 400k+ houses in this part of town. To find cheaper rent or houses requires us to move so far away from work that we can't walk and bike to work anymore. We'd end up paying more in gas, car expenses and stress from traffic.
    Looks like you made some good choices, that's good. So, let's get some more numbers on the table.
    Forgive me for still not buying your story of "people making 20,000 live better than me".

Take 2011 for example, tell us, how much did you make gross, and tell us what your expenses were, and how much, IF ANY did you end up putting into savings?

$1,000 in net savings of taxes? Or a $1000 deduction from your income?
    If the former, that's your wife's laptop you're talking about, keep complaining.

The student loans are well over six figures.
    Surprise surprise! I bet your $20,000 relatives didn't get such a luxury.

In the line of work one of us is in, most students graduate with over 150k in loans, lots of them over 200k or 300k. We personally know coworkers who owe more than 300k. You would be shocked at what kind of debt people are graduating with these days.
    No, we'd be shock of how little some manage to graduate with.

If you go to a public university, you are fine. However, if you go to a private university as an undergrad, or a choose to go to any graduate school to pursue higher level education, chances are that you are graduating with tons of debt. I made a poll last year here on RPF, asking how much debt people had. Even people on this forum had over 300k in debt.
    Nobody was born smart, but some learn. It's the choices you make.

[edit] to the person who brought up Obama's loan repayment program that is based on income, it is a scam. Those programs do limit the monthly payment, but they are stretched out over 25 years. If we went this route and had remaining debt forgiven at 25 years, we still would have paid almost as much as if we just hurried up and paid the loans off in 10 years or less. Besides, we want to pay back the full amount since the government stole the money from other tax payers; and we want to pay it back ASAP because we don't want to be in debt for 25 years.
    Yes, I am with you there, just pay it off ASAP. And look at all the luxuries you HAD and continue to have that your $20,000 relatives didn't and don't. They are NOT better off than you. Please tell me what I am missing.

Quote Originally Posted by Combs84 View Post
    He's jealous they don't have debt and get to eat out, and maybe they bought a new laptop he "can't afford" because he gives 10% of his paycheck to charity "cheerfully". and then says he doesn't want to risk getting audited so doesn't deduct them.....short of the government untaxing him or bailing out his student loans, doesn't sound like he'll ever be happy.

I am. Glad you got the point of this thread.
    30% taxes is not compared to zero. It's compared to 10-15%.
    Even people who get EITC or housing subsidies, have to have kids to effectively come close to tax free, yeah, they might actually be tax free and get some free cash, but hardly puts them above you in net.

Quote Originally Posted by AquaBuddha2010 View Post
    Why not?
    because he's not even doing what he's allowed to do, such as itemize his donations. Therefore he is not "otherwise perfect" to be in the position to blame somebody else when he's not done his part fully. And in the end, if he can, he's more than free to surrender his high paying job if he's so convinced he's better off being paid less.

Quote Originally Posted by bbartlog View Post
    A lot of commenters seem to be missing the bigger point here. Even if it is not quite literally true that OP is worse off than those who make $20K, it is still ludicrous that it is even close. There's not a whole lot of incentive to 'move up', work hard and make a decent middle class income, if your real gains are partly eaten up by taxes and partly nonexistent because the government would have given you all that stuff for free anyway. I mean, suppose you make the case that OP is actually $10K per year better off (in some sense), rather than worse off, compared to those with a $20K income... that still means that the vast majority of the gains are completely eaten by government.
    Except even that is not true.

Until he lists all the numbers, I am not buying his story. If he story is true, that he's working extra for nothing and better off making less, he can use the math to his advantage, and purposefully make less, we'll see how he likes it (He won't, because it's BS).

He is far more than $10,000 per year better off, considering his donations to charity and student loans. He probably pays more in debt + donations per year than all his relatives make ($20,000 per year) in a year, so there is no comparison.

The myth of "I want to make less, or donate my money away, so I can save on taxes" should go by now, I challenge somebody to prove it.

Arklatex

Who is that John Galt?

24. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    My friend calls Whole Foods "Whole Paycheck" hahahahah because its so expensive.

150k in debt for a 100k a year income was your choice.

just like when you were going to school, your still getting ready for your future. Sorry dude.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary4Liberty View Post
    My friend calls Whole Foods "Whole Paycheck" hahahahah because its so expensive.
    not inaccurate at all

Quote Originally Posted by The Goat View Post
    150k in debt for a 100k a year income was your choice.

just like when you were going to school, your still getting ready for your future. Sorry dude.
    yeah, seriously.
    I think he meant $100K for combined 2 people, but still.
    Even $50K a year with $150K student debt is reasonable.

Both people made different decisions on what to do with their money. Who may or may not be better off may depend on who you ask. Some are fine with not a lot of money- others feel they need more than they have- even if that is already more than most people (and $100k is certainly more than over half the people in the country).

the point here is that incentives are being stripped away from our society. the healthcare aspect is a big part of this. essentially one family is earning 500% of what the other family is earning, yet their lifestyles are perceptibly comparable. this is hardly the only example of the problem. even if OP budgeted in accordance with the "advice" given in this thread, the problem isn't solved, its only a little less obvious. take a guess at what happens to societies that have shrinking incentives to accumulate wealth?

Quote Originally Posted by Boss View Post
    take a guess at what happens to societies that have shrinking incentives to accumulate wealth?
    Production drops and everybody suffers.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by Boss View Post
    the point here is that incentives are being stripped away from our society. the healthcare aspect is a big part of this. essentially one family is earning 500% of what the other family is earning, yet their lifestyles are perceptibly comparable. this is hardly the only example of the problem. even if OP budgeted in accordance with the "advice" given in this thread, the problem isn't solved, its only a little less obvious. take a guess at what happens to societies that have shrinking incentives to accumulate wealth?
    Perceptibly comparable? If you ignore 2 kids, donating 10% to charity, not itemizing them in taxes, and 6 figure student debt, then yeah. He has plenty of incentives to accummulate wealth, and if he doesn't, he's free to take a pay cut.

33. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by onlyrp View Post
    Dave Ramsey is good for people who need to learn being debt free. Which is common sense for any Peter Schiff or Ron Paul fan. I wouldn't trust him for savings or investment advice though.
    With him calling Schiff a nutjob, I certainly wouldn't patronize him or give him a nickel

Can you refinance the student loans to a longer payback period? This would give you some cushion during which time you could hopefully save off and pay them off in total in 10 years. (I have only read page one of the thread and apologize in advance if someone already suggested this).
    "Your mother's dead, before long I'll be dead, and you...and your brother and your sister and all of her children, all of us dead, all of us..rotting in the ground. It's the family name that lives on. It's all that lives on. Not your personal glory, not your honor, but family." - Tywin Lannister

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast