Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Birth tourism brings Russian baby boom to Miami

Birth tourism brings Russian baby boom to Miami

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...-miami-n836121

JAN 10 2018

MIAMI — Lured by the charm of little Havana or the glamour of South Beach, some 15 million tourists visit Miami every year.

But for a growing number of Russian women, the draw isn't sunny beaches or pulsing nightclubs. It's U.S. citizenship for their newborn children.

In Moscow, it's a status symbol to have a Miami-born baby, and social media is full of Russian women boasting of their little americantsy.

"It's really common," said Ekaterina Kuznetsova, 29. "When I was taking the plane to come here, it was not only me. It was four or five women flying here."

Ekaterina was one of dozens of Russian birth tourists NBC News spoke to over the past four months about a round-trip journey that costs tens of thousands of dollars and takes them away from home for weeks or months.

Why do they come?

"American passport is a big plus for the baby. Why not?" Olesia Reshetova, 31, told NBC News.

"And the doctors, the level of education," Kuznetsova added.

The weather doesn't hurt, either.

"It's a very comfortable place for staying in wintertime," Oleysa Suhareva said.

It's not just the Russians who are coming. Chinese moms-to-be have been flocking to Southern California to give birth for years.

What they are doing is completely legal, as long as they don't lie on any immigration or insurance paperwork. In fact, it's protected by the 14th amendment to the U.S. Constitution, which says anyone born on American soil is automatically a citizen.

The child gets a lifelong right to live and work and collect benefits in the U.S. And when they turn 21 they can sponsor their parents' application for an American green card.

As president, Donald Trump has indicated he is opposed to so-called chain migration, which gives U.S. citizens the right to sponsor relatives, because of recent terror attacks. And as a candidate, he called for an end to birthright citizenship, declaring it in one of his first policy papers the "biggest magnet for illegal immigration."

"You have to get rid of it," he said on "Meet the Press" on NBC. "They're having a baby and all of a sudden — nobody knows — the baby is here. You have no choice."

In a twist, as the Daily Beast first reported, condo buildings that bear the Trump name are the most popular for the out-of-town obstetric patients, although the units are subleased from the individual owners and it's not clear if building management is aware.

There is no indication that Trump or the Trump Organization is profiting directly from birth tourism; the company and the White House did not respond to requests for comment.

Roman Bokeria, the state director of the Florida Association of Realtors told NBC News that Trump- branded buildings in the Sunny Isles Beach area north of Miami are particularly popular with the Russian birth tourists and Russian immigrants.

"Sunny Isles beach has a nickname — Little Russia — because people who are moving from Russian-speaking countries to America, they want … a familiar environment."

"They go across the street, they have Russian market, Russian doctor, Russian lawyer," he added. "It's very comfortable for them."

Reshetova came to Miami to have her first child, hiring an agency to help arrange her trip. The services — which can include finding apartments and doctors and obtaining visas — don't come cheap. She expects to pay close to $50,000, and some packages run as high as $100,000. Bokeria says some landlords ask for six months rent up front.

One firm, Miami Mama, says it brings about 100 Russian and Russian-speaking clients to the U.S. per year, 30 percent of them repeat clients. The owners are Irina and Konstantin Lubnevskiy, who bought Miami Mama after using the firm to have two American children themselves.

The couple says they counsel clients to be completely transparent with U.S. immigration officials that they're expecting.

"We tell every client, 'You have the documents, you have to tell the truth. This is America. They like the truth here,'" Konstantin said.

"I would like the American people to understand they don't have to worry," he added. "Those who come here want to become part of the American people."

But Miami Mami has drawn scrutiny from law enforcement. In June, it was raided by the FBI, and an employee was convicted of making false statements on passport applications. The owners say they knew nothing about it, fired the worker and their business license was renewed.

Federal prosecutors declined to comment on the case, and the FBI said it could not discuss "an active investigation."

There is no official data on birth tourism in the United States. The Center for Immigration Studies, which wants stricter limits on immigration, estimates there are 36,000 babies born in the U.S. to foreign nationals a year, though the numbers could be substantially lower. Florida says births in the state by all foreign nationals who live outside the United States have jumped 200 percent since 2000.

Customs and Border Protection says there are no laws governing whether pregnant foreign nationals can enter the country or give birth here.

"However, if a pregnant woman or anyone else uses fraud or deception to obtain a visa or gain admission to the United States, that would constitute a criminal act," the agency said.

When federal agents raided California "maternity hotels" catering to Chinese clients in 2015, authorities said in court papers that some of the families falsely claimed they were indigent and got reduced hospital rates.

In Miami, the Jackson Health System said 72 percent of international maternity patients — who represented 8 percent of all patients giving birth last year — pay with insurance or through a pre-arranged package.

Reshetova said she understands the concerns some have about birth tourism, because it's also an issue in Russia.

"But I pay by myself," she said. "I pay with my money, bring it here to America. I'm not going to take something to America.

"I don't know what my daughter will choose in future. But if I can spend money — my money — for her choice, why not?"

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Nutjobs

Funny how they identify them solely as Russians when they are also mostly joo's.

I'll have to assume that the purpose of NBC doing this is to try to justify this practice because they assume that some people will look at this and say "nice, these seem like good prospects as new citizens", and next NBC will say "ha, you only oppose this when it's brrroooowwwwn people! You should support this for everyone!"

Sorry, end birthright citizenship for everyone, just like Ron Paul campaigned on.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by sparebulb View Post
    Funny how they identify them solely as Russians when they are also mostly joo's.
    Was that in the story? What is "mostly"? A plurality? 51%? 80%?

Sounds like a 3-fer. Kid is born a citizen of three nations, US, Russia and Israel.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

It was not in the story.

Just look up Sunny Isles Beach and it becomes clear.

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only show up to attack Trump when he is wrong
    Make America the Land of the Free & the Home of the Brave again

Related:

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/...n_7187180.html

Born In The USA: Why Chinese ‘Birth Tourism’ Is Booming In California

BEIJING — When Ma Fahong approached the immigration desk at Los Angeles International Airport, the customs agent had only two questions for her.

“Why are you coming to the U.S.?”

“I’m here to have a baby.”

“How much cash do you have on you?”

“I only have $1,000 in cash, but I have a debit card with much more in the bank.”

Passport stamped. Welcome to Los Angeles.

Ma is part of a growing wave of Chinese women who are flocking to the United States — California, in particular — to have children who will grow up as American citizens. The 14th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution guarantees citizenship to every person born on American soil, a fact that has long motivated foreigners from all over the world to give birth in the U.S.

The conversation about immigrant families in the U.S. is typically centered around people from Latin America seeking economic opportunities in the States. But as incomes in China rise and visa hurdles fall, women from China are making up a larger share of foreign births in the U.S, and they’re complicating many of the popular ideas about immigrant mothers.

Most of the Chinese mothers come with large sums of cash at their fingertips, money they often spend on houses and luxury goods. While many, like Ma, enter and give birth in the U.S. legally, others buy package plans from “birth tourism” agencies — profit-seeking and sometimes illegal organizations that arrange accommodations and hospital visits for groups of Chinese women. These businesses have clustered in California, a top tourism destination that also boasts large Chinese-American communities that make many expectant mothers feel at home.

No reliable data exists on the number of Chinese births in the U.S, but estimates by industry publications projected a total of 60,000 for 2014, a sixfold increase over 2012. Awareness of the trend skyrocketed in China in 2013 when the popular romantic comedy “Finding Mr. Right” portrayed a Chinese woman, the mistress of a wealthy businessman, sneaking into Seattle on a tourist visa in order to buy Gucci bags and have an American child.
    In that same span of time, China has also been plagued by health scandals that have struck fear into expectant mothers. Food safety scares — including tainted infant milk powder — often dominate the news, and the public has woken up to the dangers of the toxic smog engulfing many Chinese cities. One recent study linked high levels of air pollution to lower birth weights that put babies at risk in their first month and later in life.

But foremost in many Chinese parents’ minds are the educational opportunities available in the U.S. Weary of their country’s test-obsessed education system, record numbers of Chinese parents have been sending their children to American kindergartens, Ph.D. programs and everything in between. An American passport makes many of these opportunities cheaper and more accessible.

Having a child in California is not cheap for Chinese parents: Package deals at maternity hotels often start at $20,000 and go much higher. Ma and Zhu chose to rent a room from a friend in Long Beach, but they still estimate that they spent around $30,000 in total.

But even those high outlays essentially pay for themselves in many cases. If Ma and Zhu had given birth to their second child in China, they likely would have faced fines equal to $40,000 for violation of the country’s “one-child policy.”

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    I'll have to assume that the purpose of NBC doing this is to try to justify this practice because they assume that some people will look at this and say "nice, these seem like good prospects as new citizens", and next NBC will say "ha, you only oppose this when it's brrroooowwwwn people! You should support this for everyone!"

Sorry, end birthright citizenship for everyone, just like Ron Paul campaigned on.
    This.

Don't give a $#@! if they are snow white Russians or coal black Ghanans.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    This.

Don't give a $#@! if they are snow white Russians or coal black Ghanans.
    Why not tie immigration to budget surplus?

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    LOL. Look at those Russians! Look at those Chinese! Is this a new leftist talking point?

Sorry, this one will backfire worse than Shumer's shutdown. While it appears to be a way to somehow deflect from the "brown people" characterization of immigration, what it will do is reveal the hidden agenda of most open immigration zealots. They will find that most "brown people" in the US will say "hey, stop those Russians, stop those Chinese! Only people from my family or country!" It may actually bring people together to end birthright citizenship.

Quote Originally Posted by RonZeplin View Post
    Simply because his parents weren't citizens doesn't mean they were illegal immigrants. They may have had permanent residence without being citizens, while anchor baby is typically used to describe a baby born to parents who were not lawfully residing within the US. But anyways, why post a stupid picture that says incorrect things like "ANCHOR BABIES ARE NOT CITIZENS." You can say they shouldn't be citizens, but they certainly are...

Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    Simply because his parents weren't citizens doesn't mean they were illegal immigrants. They may have had permanent residence without being citizens, while anchor baby is typically used to describe a baby born to parents who were not lawfully residing within the US. But anyways, why post a stupid picture that says incorrect things like "ANCHOR BABIES ARE NOT CITIZENS." You can say they shouldn't be citizens, but they certainly are...
    Parents were in the country legally and became citizens three years after Mateen was born.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omar_Mateen

Parents were in the country legally and became citizens three years after Mateen was born.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omar_Mateen
    Coddling and excusing murder and evil again, aren't you Zippy.

What is your acceptable level of murder that we should expect from these immigrants?

Does this mean those E-mail and adds for Russian Women were legit?
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

What is your acceptable level of murder that we should expect from these immigrants?
    Since all immigrants are murderers?

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Since all immigrants are murderers?
    You are obviously OK with all of the murders and other crimes that immigrants inflict.

And you publicly support buggery.

Did Zippy write in some sort of code that made you react this way? I honestly have no idea how you came up with this response

Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    Did Zippy write in some sort of code that made you react this way? I honestly have no idea how you came up with this response
    The better question is why doesn't Zippy disavow his support for Hillary Clinton, pedophilia, and the murders committed by immigrants.

If Zippy will set the record straight and disavow these despicable things, I will cease to hold him to account for what he has posted in the past.
    Last edited by sparebulb; 01-24-2018 at 07:23 PM.

If he's an immigrant, where did he immigrate from?
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

The better question is why doesn't Zippy disavow his support for Hillary Clinton, pedophilia, and the murders committed by immigrants.

If Zippy will set the record straight and disavow these despicable things, I will cease to hold him to account for what he has posted in the past.
    Fake news. The quote in your sig was a satirical response in another thread. Just read my posts and anybody can see that none of them are about or in favor of either Clinton or pedophilia.

Fake news. The quote in your sig was a satirical response in another thread. Just read my posts and anybody can see that none of them are about or in favor of either Clinton or pedophilia.
    Zippy, let's be clear. Your posts indeed indicate that you do.

Please clearly state that you don't support Hillary and/or pedophilia and we can be done with this.

Zippy, let's be clear. Your posts indeed indicate that you do.

Please clearly state that you don't support Hillary and/or pedophilia and we can be done with this.
    Link to such posts please. Fake news.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Link to such posts please. Fake news.
    I have presented your posts in the past and you deflect, ignore, and avoid.

Why is it so hard for you to clearly state that you don't support Hillary Clinton and pedophilia?

You obfuscations are curious over something that could easily be clarified.

I have presented your posts in the past and you deflect, ignore, and avoid.

Why is it so hard for you to clearly state that you don't support Hillary Clinton and pedophilia?

You obfuscations are curious over something that could easily be clarified.
    I denied it in the thread you have quoted in your sig.

It was not in the story.

Just look up Sunny Isles Beach and it becomes clear.
    I looked it up and couldn't find whatever it is you're talking about?

Do you have a link from any websites that don't embarrass you too much about "Joo" (sic) anchor babies in Miami that you can share?

You did not deny it.

You once again played the game of asking for proof of your support of Hillary and pedophilia which has been presented in the past.

That is not a rebuke of Hillary or pedophilia.

double double post

Quote Originally Posted by Superfluous Man View Post
    I looked it up and couldn't find whatever it is you're talking about?

Do you have a link from any websites that don't embarrass you too much about "Joo" (sic) anchor babies in Miami that you can share?
    I won't do your homework for you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast