Thread: TOADY Conservative Party of Canada libertarian take-over

Exclamation TOADY Conservative Party of Canada libertarian take-over

It’s very likely there already is a new leader of the Conservative Party of Canada — they just don’t know it yet.

About 2,000 Conservatives have gathered at a conference centre near Pearson Airport to select their next party leader. But with 126,000 mail-in ballots received by the party as of Friday morning, it’s unlikely Saturday’s in-person voting will have much of an impact on the final outcome.

That perhaps explains the fairly relaxed atmosphere at the Toronto Congress Centre, where party faithful slowly trickled in Friday to hear last-ditch appeals from the 13 people hoping to replace Stephen Harper.

None of the backroom manoeuvring or mass migrations of delegates from one camp to another that characterized leadership contests of old. Just like-minded Conservatives paying to attend what one insider called a “reveal,” not a contest.

The consensus in the convention hall is that Quebec MP Maxime Bernier is the man to beat, a self-styled libertarian who out-fundraised the rest of the field, but Saskatchewan’s Andrew Scheer and Ontario’s Erin O’Toole at least have a path to victory.

Quito Maggi, CEO of Mainstreet Research, said Bernier entered the race as a complete long shot, but managed to sustain momentum through the marathon race.
    “But all the candidates we’ve seen evolve,” Maggi said in an interview Friday afternoon.“Maxime Bernier is going to win. He’s at 31 per cent (according to Mainstreet’s polling of Conservative members) of the vote. When you translate that to votes . . . there’s 17,000 members total in Quebec, 78 ridings with 7,800 points. There’s 22,000 members in Calgary, nine ridings, worth 900 points. That’s why Bernier is going to win.”

Scheer’s team was quietly telling reporters Friday, however, that they’re projecting their candidate is only a few points behind Bernier, and have more support in Quebec than has been reported publicly. That could just be last minute spin, but if true would make Saturday’s big reveal a lot more interesting.

On Saturday, members will have their last opportunity to vote at the convention hall before a new leader is announced — expected around 7 p.m. Saturday.

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2017/05/26/the-conservative-leadership-race-all-but-over.html
    "There was madness in any direction, at any hour. You could strike sparks anywhere. There was a fantastic universal sense that whatever we were doing was right, that we were winning.

And that I think, was the handle. That sense of inevitable victory over the forces of Old and Evil. Not in any mean or military sense; we didn't need that. Our energy would simply prevail. We had all the momentum; we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave." ~ HST

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Follow the action after 5pm where they'll be streaming the results: http://www.cpac.ca/en/cpac-in-focus/...ve-leadership/
    "There was madness in any direction, at any hour. You could strike sparks anywhere. There was a fantastic universal sense that whatever we were doing was right, that we were winning.

And that I think, was the handle. That sense of inevitable victory over the forces of Old and Evil. Not in any mean or military sense; we didn't need that. Our energy would simply prevail. We had all the momentum; we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave." ~ HST

If you're wondering why this concerns you, just think back how many times you've heard that libertarian ideas don't work and would turn the country into Somalia. This is the closest to the levers of power a real libertarian Conservative has been since Barry Goldwater, anywhere in the whole Western World.

Learn more about Maxime Bernier's platform: http://www.maximebernier.com/policy
    Last edited by SneakyFrenchSpy; 05-27-2017 at 10:27 AM.

Sweet. Keep on keeping us updated.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Does the Conservative Party of Canada have a strong presence at the Federal level?
    No one here wanted to be the Billionaire.

Good stuff OP

Quote Originally Posted by Indy Vidual View Post
    Does the Conservative Party of Canada have a strong presence at the Federal level?
    Yup. They're one of the major parties, equivalent to the Conservatives in Britain; they controlled the government from 2006 to 2015.

They still have a plurality in the Senate and the second-most members in the House.

...this is on par with Ron Paul winning the GOP nomination.

Tonight's winner will also become Official Leader of the Opposition in Parliament. Conservatives have 99 MPs to the Liberals' 183 MPs in the House.

Quote Originally Posted by r3volution 3.0 View Post
    Good stuff OP...

Yup. They're one of the major parties, equivalent to the Conservatives in Britain; they controlled the government from 2006 to 2015.

They still have a plurality in the Senate and the second-most members in the House.

...this is on par with Ron Paul winning the GOP nomination.
    Sounds like tonight could get really good.
    No one here wanted to be the Billionaire.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Supporting Member
    North Korea

Blog Entries
    so far the live coverage is going good

Supporting Member
    North Korea

Blog Entries
    He won the first round.

Being under 30% is really scary, especially since #2 & #3 are the Establishment wing. I am nervous...

Quote Originally Posted by SneakyFrenchSpy View Post
    Being under 30% is really scary, especially since #2 & #3 are the Establishment wing. I am nervous...
    Are any of the others likely to throw him their support?
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Yes, I do believe he will pick up 2nd choice votes. But I have no idea if it will be enough. Ballot 2 - 7 are coming up.

Supporting Member
    North Korea

Blog Entries
    He won the second round at over 30%

It's going to go down to the last ballot. He is still leading by 2 points but I'm not very optimistic. The O'toole voters will not massively go for Bernier.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Supporting Member
    North Korea

Blog Entries
    It's going to go down to the last ballot. He is still leading by 2 points but I'm not very optimistic. The O'toole voters will not massively go for Bernier.

Supporting Member
    North Korea

Blog Entries
    Well that was a waste................

What a major letdown. Andrew Scheer wins 51-49. Well, back to hating Canadian politics again... Brakey for Senate!

What a major letdown. Andrew Scheer wins 51-49. Well, back to hating Canadian politics again... Brakey for Senate!
    What a disappointment. At least that Liberal stooge Chong did not win. I've seen videos of Andrew speak and he seems like someone who would easily fold under leftist pressure. The phony red "conservatives" are now saying that his social conservatism is now his liability but I think his lack of conviction to stand behind what he believes in or even defend his past social conservative votes would be a bigger liability. Even if he does a complete 180 and becomes a socially progressive (cuckservative), he still won't win over left wing voters. On top of that, his economic conservative side is kinda a weak compared to Bernier.

Damnit

@SneakyFrenchSpy

Does Bernier have the staying power/depth of support to try again in the future? Or was this probably his one chance?

If you're wondering why this concerns you, just think back how many times you've heard that libertarian ideas don't work and would turn the country into Somalia.
    Those are really silly people. The US state with the most libertarian government has the lowest poverty, nearly the lowest crime, the lowest murder, and just about the lowest unemployment rate and highest median household income in the US. So anyone doing just a little research would see that at least in New Hampshire, that didn't happen

Sorry about what happened in Canada. It would have been cool to have a decent person as the official position leader
    Lifetime member of more than 1 national gun organization and the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance. Part of Young Americans for Liberty and Campaign for Liberty. Free State Project participant and multi-year Free Talk Live AMPlifier.

If Sneaky French Spy converted a Coup and the Libertarians took over Canada I would have indeed been impressed .
    Do something Danke

Angry

Well it turns out that Max was very likely cheated out of the Leadership, and with all ballots quickly destroyed, I don't see a way for recourse here. However, I'd love to see the Party and Deloitte getting sued for participating in and condoning this sham. And you thought the GOP was bad...

CPC's explanation for vote total discrepancy 'does not add up', says pollster
    Party says 7,466 extra votes came from in-person voting

https://ipolitics.ca/2017/06/01/cpcs...says-pollster/

The Conservative Party’s explanation for the discrepancy between vote lists in its recent leadership contest doesn’t make sense, says pollster Quito Maggi, who has been comparing the party’s membership lists with the strikeout lists it provided to campaigns.“It does not add up,” he said Thursday.
    Earlier Thursday, the party’s director of communications said an apparent discrepancy between raw vote totals and the strikeout lists provided to the campaigns can be explained by off-site voting.
    Andrew Scheer won a razor-thin victory over Maxime Bernier on Saturday, winning with 50.95 per cent of the vote to Bernier’s 49.05, which means that as few as 66 votes might have made the difference between winner and loser. The discrepancy between lists that campaigns are wrestling with is more than enough to make up the difference between the two candidates.
    The party says that 141,362 votes were counted on Saturday, but strikeout lists sent to all the campaigns appear to show a smaller number of votes tallied: 133,896, plus 10,429 incomplete or spoiled ballots.
    This difference has some campaigns wondering: Where did 7,466 votes come from?
    “There appears to be a discrepancy,” said the campaign manager for one unsuccessful candidate, speaking on condition that his name not be used. “There seem to be 8,000 extra votes.”
    Cory Hann, director of communications for the party, said Thursday that the strikeout lists sent to the campaigns included mailed-in ballots and ballots cast at the convention centre in Toronto, but not ballots cast at 13 other polling locations across the country.
    “The Saturday list that they received does not include the polling locations,” he said. “That does not include in-person voting locations.”
    But Maggi, who spot-checked some of the riding results on Thursday, says that Hann’s explanation can’t be correct.
    “Not at all,” he said. “The situation absolutely has to be more complicated because there are more ballots counted in certain ridings that didn’t have a voting location within reasonable distance.”
    For instance, Maggi says raw vote results downloaded on the night of the convention show 10 more votes were cast in two Thunder Bay ridings than appear in the strikeout lists. The nearest in-person polling location to Thunder Bay was in Simcoe Grey, a 13-hour drive away.
    “There are more votes in ridings that were not eligible to vote on the day of voting,” said Maggi.
    Hann insisted that the process was rigorously overseen.
    “The ballots themselves are the important piece here,” he said. “Those were always in control and overseen by the party, by the scrutineers, by Deloitte etc.”
    Hann told CTV on Thursday that “human error” may be behind minor discrepancies between the vote totals.
    The party has not released a riding-by-riding breakdown of raw vote totals, and doesn’t intend to do so, Hann said.
    “All the numbers that we’re going to release are online now.”
    Hann’s assurance may not answer all outstanding questions.
    “Uh huh,” said an official with an unsuccessful campaign. “So release the data. Why shred the ballots until after you get all numbers to balance? Margin was less than one per cent.”
    Maggi was comparing the strikeout lists to raw voter data downloaded on election night by Kevin O’Donnell, an Ottawa party member who scraped it from the website of Dominion Voting Systems as it uploaded them to the party website.
    “It’s a file I retrieved directly from the vendor,” he said in an interview on Thursday.
    Hann said he could not verify the data file O’Donnell downloaded and the party doesn’t plan to release its own vote totals.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.