Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Exhausted Amazon Drivers Are Working 11-Hour Shifts For Less Than Minimum Wage

Exhausted Amazon Drivers Are Working 11-Hour Shifts For Less Than Minimum Wage

https://slashdot.org/story/17/12/10/...n-minimum-wage

Drivers are being asked to deliver up to 200 parcels a day for Amazon while earning less than the minimum wage, a Sunday Mirror investigation reveals today... Many routinely exceed the legal maximum shift of 11 hours and finish their days dead on their feet. Yet they have so little time for food or toilet stops they snatch hurried meals on the run and urinate into plastic bottles they keep in their vans. They say they often break speed limits to meet targets that take no account of delays such as ice, traffic jams or road closures.

Many claim they are employed in a way that means they have no rights to holiday or sickness pay. And some say they take home as little as £160 for a five-day week amid conditions described by one lawyer as "almost Dickensian"... The Driving and Vehicle Standards Agency has vowed to investigate after drivers contacted them to complain about conditions.
    This ought to be fun. Debate.
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I actually know someone whose husband delivers for Amazon. She was at her mangerial level job 15 years and her husband makes more money than she did.

That may be how things are in Britain, but I don't think it necessarily applies here.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

UPS drivers are union, over $20.00 hr, time and a half over 40 and so on....

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Exactly. If they want to change it they need to organize and collectively bargain. But, they should be prepared for scabs to take their place.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Exactly. If they want to change it they need to organize and collectively bargain. But, they should be prepared for scabs to take their place.
    Exactly. The should probably wait for a while until they have the numbers to have that pull.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    ups drivers also don't park behind my driveway blasting rap music and proceed to organize their whole truck forcing me to tell them to move their ass so I can get out, nor dress like hoodlums or generally look like people I don't want in my neighborhood and I've never gotten package deliveries from UPS or fedex that was meant to go to my neighbors. The recent spate of amazon drivers however, have done all that on numerous occasions.

No one cared when airline pilots had 16 hour duty days.

Also, if the schedule was interrupted by mechanical or weather delays, the FAA and industry conspired to rule that there was no duty time limit to complete the original schedule.

Back in the old days, I had a few 20 hour days.

No one cares until someone dies.

And even then, Boobus wants the regulators to make a new law.

Any new law will do, to ease Boobus's conscience.
    Last edited by sparebulb; 12-10-2017 at 05:13 PM.

Mr A laughs at their 11 hour days. He's 54 and puts in 15 to 16 hours ON HIS FEET. If they want more, negotiate for it or STFU and quit $#@!ting in street.

Quote Originally Posted by brushfire View Post
    Seems like they're organizing delivery now:

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by sparebulb View Post
    No one cared when airline pilots had 16 hour duty days.

Also, if the schedule was interrupted by mechanical or weather delays, the FAA and industry conspired to rule that there was no duty time limit to complete the original schedule.

Back in the old days, I had a few 20 hour days.

No one cares until someone dies.

And even then, Boobus wants the regulators to make a new law.

Any new law will do, to ease Boobus's conscience.

There is no crying in baseball...
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Short Income Tax Video

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    Mr A laughs at their 11 hour days. He's 54 and puts in 15 to 16 hours ON HIS FEET. If they want more, negotiate for it or STFU and quit $#@!ting in street.
    That’s quite a bar to be busy for 16 hours with no poop or meal breaks.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    We should have a RPF party over there.

Amazon warehouse life ‘revealed with timed toilet breaks and workers sleeping on their feet’
    https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/500423...ng-conditions/

If you are "allowed" to poop, it WILL be timed in order to maximize efficiency. But for the most part, no, youre not allowed to poop, at all.

Oh, and if you refuse to take this job, then you'll be called "lazy".
    1776 > 1984

Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

He can $#@! and eat but there's a lot more to running a bar than pouring drinks. He spends a good part of his time dealing with health inspectors, taxes (sales, liquor BTD, property), orders, payroll, dealing with staff (scheduling and drama), and, not to mention, listening to people bitch. It's his job. Ya know what, I was a bartender for years and guess what? When it was busy, I didn't get to go to the bathroom or sit down and have a meal. I $#@!ing worked because it was my job and I didn't cry about it to customers, I went to my boss and asked for more money. I also worked longer shifts than 11 hours.
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.

Get a different job?

He can $#@! and eat but there's a lot more to running a bar than pouring drinks. He spends a good part of his time dealing with health inspectors, taxes (sales, liquor BTD, property), orders, payroll, dealing with staff (scheduling and drama), and, not to mention, listening to people bitch. It's his job. Ya know what, I was a bartender for years and guess what? When it was busy, I didn't get to go to the bathroom or sit down and have a meal. I $#@!ing worked because it was my job and I didn't cry about it to customers, I went to my boss and asked for more money. I also worked longer shifts than 11 hours.

You should get him a chair for Christmas for when he is in his office.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video

Oh, and if the Amazon drivers are so busy then why the hell do they have time to chat with me? I don't want to chat with them. As a matter of fact, I want them to quietly drop the package (not the poop, the actual order) and GTFO.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    You should get him a chair for Christmas for when he is in his office.
    He has a chair. It's my old broken one. Someone should buy the poor Amazon drivers a chair.

He has a chair. It's my old broken one. Someone should buy the poor Amazon drivers a chair.
    Well at least he has a loving wife that has a nice cooked meal for him when he gets home, a warm bath, and the soothing massage.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video

Well at least he has a loving wife that has a nice cooked meal for him when he gets home, a warm bath, and the soothing massage.
    You're thinking of the Amazon drivers.

You're thinking of the Amazon drivers.

Solution has been mentioned and is forthcoming. Automatic drone delivery.

urinate into plastic bottles they keep in their vans
    @ :37

loveshiscountry

We used to have to get out of the lake at three o'clock in the morning, clean the lake, eat a handful of hot gravel, go to work at the mill every day for tuppence a month, come home, and Dad would beat us around the head and neck with a broken bottle, if we were LUCKY!

But you try and tell the young people today that, and they won't believe ya'.

Quote Originally Posted by loveshiscountry View Post
    We used to have to get out of the lake at three o'clock in the morning, clean the lake, eat a handful of hot gravel, go to work at the mill every day for tuppence a month, come home, and Dad would beat us around the head and neck with a broken bottle, if we were LUCKY!

But you try and tell the young people today that, and they won't believe ya'.
    mr. Animal Had to walk to school everyday for three hours, in 3 feet of snow, barefoot, uphill...both ways!
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    mr. Animal Had to walk to school everyday for three hours, in 3 feet of snow, barefoot, uphill...both ways!
    No. He had shoes and Buffalo is fairly flat. But he did have to walk to school in snow. He went to a private school and there were no buses.

I got chased by a mean dog uphill both ways on my school route.

@Danke

Do pilots use piss jugs?

@Danke

Do pilots use piss jugs?
    No comment.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video

If we had a UBI this wouldnt be a problem.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan View Post
    If we had a UBI this wouldnt be a problem.
    This video went viral a couple days ago.

Universal Basic Income Explained - Free Money for Everybody?

Im also not expressing an opinion here either way, neither pro, nor con. I'll leave that up to you guys to rip it apart.

... and, there's this thread...

'We Could Fund a Universal Basic Income With the Data We Give Away To Facebook and Google'
    http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...ook-and-Google

The overall result of what we have today is that the money flows from the bottom to the top. For people that do not have any money, they also do not have the power to collectively say "No" to the type of jobs that are so bad that not a single person would accept it due to the working conditions. The power to SAY NO is a valuable commodity that has evaporated into the ether of "have you been to our website". So instead of saying No, people reluctantly accept terrible and often dangerous working conditions due to desperation and their collective voices are dismantled.
    1776 > 1984

When the Amazon drone commercial fleet replaces all delivery drivers, we will see who is complaining then.
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.
    -Major General Smedley Butler, USMC,
    Two-Time Congressional Medal of Honor Winner
    Author of, War is a Racket!

It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours.
    - Diogenes of Sinope

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast