Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Trump & Democrats Near Agreement on DACA

Quote Originally Posted by EBounding View Post
    "Border security" is going to be part of the DACA deal--the wall is going to be separate.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/n...913-story.html
    Seems more like security theater unless they are going to provoke an attack on our country and that's the weakest point of entry.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Support Justin Amash for Congress
    Michigan Congressional District 3

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Trump Appears to Endorse Path to Citizenship for Millions of Immigrants

Senator Lindsey Graham, Republican of South Carolina, floated the idea of a broader immigration deal during the meeting in the White House Cabinet Room on Tuesday, making clear that it would have to include a pathway to citizenship for undocumented immigrants already in the country.

Mr. Trump replied: “If you want to take it that further step, I’ll take the heat. I will take all the heat. You are not that far away from comprehensive immigration reform.”

Lawmakers from both parties were taken aback by the president’s words.

http://www.cnn.com/2018/01/09/politi...ons/index.html

The court said that those currently on DACA cannot be kicked off it or deported but they also said that the administration can refuse to sign up any new people to the program.

Judge blocks Trump administration plan to roll back DACA

A federal judge in California late Tuesday temporarily blocked the Trump administration's efforts to end the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program.

Judge William Alsup also said the administration must resume receiving DACA renewal applications.

But the ruling is limited -- the administration does not need to process applications for those who have never before received DACA protections, he said.

http://time.com/4927100/donald-trump...st-statements/

Trump on "Dreamers:"

They shouldn’t be very worried,” Trump said in an ABC News interview in January when asked how his policies would affect the Dreamers.

“They are here illegally. They shouldn’t be very worried. I do have a big heart. We’re going to take care of everybody. We’re going to have a very strong border. We’re gonna have a very solid border. Where you have great people that are here that have done a good job, they should be far less worried. We’ll be coming out with policy on that over the next period of four weeks.”

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    http://www.cnn.com/2018/01/09/politi...ons/index.html

The court said that those currently on DACA cannot be kicked off it or deported but they also said that the administration can refuse to sign up any new people to the program.
    It will be overturned.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

DJTvsg says lots of things, you have to watch what he does.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    DJTvsg says lots of things, you have to watch what he does.
    His constant contradictions makes him more untrustworthy.

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The so-called bipartisan DACA deal presented yesterday to myself and a group of Republican Senators and Congressmen was a big step backwards. Wall was not properly funded, Chain & Lottery were made worse and USA would be forced to take large numbers of people from high crime.....
    — Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) January 12, 2018
    ....countries which are doing badly. I want a merit based system of immigration and people who will help take our country to the next level. I want safety and security for our people. I want to stop the massive inflow of drugs. I want to fund our military, not do a Dem defund....
    ....Because of the Democrats not being interested in life and safety, DACA has now taken a big step backwards. The Dems will threaten “shutdown,” but what they are really doing is shutting down our military, at a time we need it most. Get smart, MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!
    More at: https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-...-daca-proposal

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

His constant contradictions makes him more untrustworthy.

The so-called bipartisan DACA deal presented yesterday to myself and a group of Republican Senators and Congressmen was a big step backwards. Wall was not properly funded, Chain & Lottery were made worse and USA would be forced to take large numbers of people from high crime.....
    ....countries which are doing badly. I want a merit based system of immigration and people who will help take our country to the next level. I want safety and security for our people. I want to stop the massive inflow of drugs. I want to fund our military, not do a Dem defund....
    ....Because of the Democrats not being interested in life and safety, DACA has now taken a big step backwards. The Dems will threaten “shutdown,” but what they are really doing is shutting down our military, at a time we need it most. Get smart, MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!
    https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/09/trum...on-reform.html

Trump: I will sign any immigration bill. January 9th, 2018.

"You guys are going to have to come up with a solution [for DACA], and I'm going to sign that solution," Trump said during a bipartisan meeting of House and Senate leaders at the White House on Tuesday morning.
    "My positions are going to be what the people in this room come up with," the president later told the press pool. "If they come to me with things I'm not in love with, I'm going to do it, because I respect them,"
    " I'm signing it. I mean, I will be signing it. I'm not going to say, oh, gee, I want this or I want that. I'll be signing it because I have a lot of confidence in the people in this room that you're going to come out with something really good."
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 01-15-2018 at 12:17 PM.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/09/trum...on-reform.html

Trump: I will sign any immigration bill. January 9th, 2018.

Hey zip, would it be fair to say that you would criticize Donald Trump no matter what he does here?
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

So, how about ending the WoD and the WoT, Donald? That should take care of all your concerns.
    There is no spoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    So, how about ending the WoD and the WoT, Donald? That should take care of all your concerns.
    These two support almost the entire economy, roughly 50/50. You can't make sudden moves in such a delicate environment. Let's have some foreplay first.

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    These two support almost the entire economy, roughly 50/50. You can't make sudden moves in such a delicate environment. Let's have some foreplay first.
    Yeah, gotta blame it on them $#@!hole countries first.
    There is no spoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    Yeah, gotta blame it on them $#@!hole countries first.
    Do you have any evidence Trump called any country a $#@!hole country?
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    To be devil's advocate, you don't need negotiation skills or even strong mental competence when you have trust in Congress. 'The swamp' can't be that bad if Trump is willing to put his trust in them, it's the crazy guys like Steve Bannon that he needs to swamp out of Washignton.

Recently the cannot-be-a-puppet stable genius put his full trust in moderate neocons like his largest donor Sheldon Adelson's zionist camp, his Jewish Son in law and other very competent elders in the room and quickly signed on very pro-Israel/anti-Palestinian policies without blinking or any negotiation.

But he is not all genius and no weaknesses, the guy does seem to have a very healthy need for validation/applause from people in his audience, media and Chuck Schumer. He might be the ultimate bi-partisan politician that Obama striken GOP base has put in power who can be molded into wide range of things (from a Schumer Democrat to Javanka Republican to Bannon Conservative) by controlling his surroundings.

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Do you have any evidence Trump called any country a $#@!hole country?
    Do you have any evidence that I mentioned Trump?
    There is no spoon.

What does this mean???

https://www.wsj.com/articles/democra...eal-1516903971

The biggest question Thursday was how conservatives will react to Mr. Trump’s support for citizenship for the Dreamers, who were shielded from deportation by actions taken by former President Barack Obama. About 700,000 immigrants registered for that program, known as Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals.

Mr. Trump’s plan would protect those people, plus others who would otherwise qualify. That brings the total to about 1.8 million people who could become citizens within 10 to 12 years, White House officials said.
    Last edited by EBounding; 01-25-2018 at 05:29 PM.

Trump's position on Dreamers has changed yet again. He is now back to supporting citizenship for them.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/exper...rs/1066980001/

Trump team unveils new immigration framework with path to citizenship for DREAMers

WASHINGTON — A White House proposal on immigration will contain a path to citizenship for up to 1.8 million young people brought into the United States as children as part of a package that also includes $25 billion for a border wall and other security measures.

President Trump's plan would also include a massive cut in family-based immigration and the end to a diversity visa lottery system that gives preference to immigrants from under-represented countries, according to a White House briefing for congressional staffers and Trump allies hosted by White House senior adviser Stephen Miller.

The proposal is designed to win 60 Senate votes and break a potential filibuster that could trigger another government shutdown next month, Miller said on the call, to which USA TODAY obtained access.

The path to citizenship has been among the most contentious issues in the immigration debate over the last decade, and Trump himself has taken inconsistent positions on it. But in an impromptu group interview with reporters Wednesday, the president said he's willing to consider citizenship for so-called DREAMers who came to the United States as children.

"If they do a great job, I think it's a nice thing to have the incentive of, after a period of years, being able to become a citizen," Trump said. That period would be 10 to 12 years, Trump said.

Yet the proposal to cut back family-based immigration is sure to draw fire from Democrats, as it represents a nearly 25% cut to legal immigration into the country. Under the new plan, Miller said that U.S. citizens and green card holders will only be allowed to sponsor their spouses and minor children to enter the country.

Congress passed a short-term funding bill over the weekend to keep the government open until Feb. 8; Democrats have insisted the Senate take up an immigration bill before voting on any additional funding. Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell said in a statement Thursday that he appreciated Trump laying out his immigration objectives. "I am hopeful that as discussions continue in the Senate on the subject of immigration, Members on both sides of the aisle will look to this framework for guidance as they work towards an agreement," he said.

The plan addresses four issues that the White House has insisted be included in any immigration fix:

► DREAMers. The bill would provide a path to citizenship for undocumented immigrants who came to the U.S. as children, known as DREAMers. The number of immigrants who could qualify would be larger than the group protected under the Obama-era Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program. That program covered nearly 800,000 DREAMers, but Miller said the new plan could protect up to 1.8 million people, which is "substantially larger than the DACA population."

The immigrants who would be eligible to apply for citizenship may face a process that could take 10 to 12 years, according to Trump. "We're going to morph into it," Trump told reporters. "I think it's a nice thing to have the incentive of, after a period of years, being able to become a citizen."

Eligibility criteria would include requirements for "work, education and good moral character," according to a White House summary of the plan.

That plan mirrors a bipartisan Senate proposal that would allow DREAMers to become citizens after 12 years, or 10 years if they were approved for DACA.

Trump's position on Dreamers has changed yet again. He is now back to supporting citizenship for them.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/exper...rs/1066980001/
    He gets to look "Reasonable" and the bill won't pass anyway.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

'...And Mexico's gonna pay for it!' - Amnesty Don

http://www.mikemichalowicz.com/the-4...usiness-deals/

Are you the person who always gets their way, no matter what? You are a horrible negotiator. Democrats

Do you offer your best deal right off the bat, only to get cut down even further? You too, are a horrible negotiator. Republicans

Or are you one of the few who maximize your gains AND maximize the gains for the guy on the other side? Then you are a master negotiator, and you already know this (everyone else listen up): Trump?
    USE THIS SITE TO LINK ARTICLES FROM OLIGARCH MEDIA:http://archive.is/ STARVE THE BEAST.
    More Government = Less Freedom
    Communism never disappeared it only changed its name to Social Democrat
    Emotion and Logic mix like oil and water

He gets to look "Reasonable" and the bill won't pass anyway.
    DREAMers quickly reject Trump’s immigration plan

https://thinkprogress.org/dreamers-reject-white-house-framework-9a5607d3f869/

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Trump's proposal seems to have something everybody hates. Trying to ensure it fails?

DREAMers quickly reject Trump’s immigration plan

https://thinkprogress.org/dreamers-reject-white-house-framework-9a5607d3f869/

"Let’s call this proposal for what it is: a white supremacist ransom note."

LOL The entertainment just doesn't stop. Trump should propose gun control next.

Trump's proposal seems to have something everybody hates. Trying to ensure it fails?
    The clock is running out, DREAMers don't have long before ICE comes for them.
    Juan are you zippy enough to stay one jump ahead of them?

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by EBounding View Post
    It says wsj.com and it it talking about Donald Trump, so I wouldn't recommend reading it unless you want to take a stab at debunking it.... cuz it's bull$#@!.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast