Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Militarization of local cops includes thousands of bayonets

Militarization of local cops includes thousands of bayonets

Through the 1033 program, the federal government has geared America's local police departments with military-grade equipment — ranging from airplanes to bayonets — worth hundreds of millions of dollars.

NPR combed through the transaction data for the program to find out where the equipment went and what kind of gear was involved. Since 2006, the Pentagon distributed more than 79,000 assault rifles, 205 grenade launchers, nearly 12,000 bayonets, nearly 4,000 combat knives, 50 airplanes, 479 bomb detonator robots, and much more to America's local cops.
    cont.
    http://www.vox.com/2014/9/3/6101895/...administration

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Bayonets!?!?! WTF!?!? To be honest this is more troubling than armored cars. They can claim the vehicles are needed for defense, but the offensive nature of bayonets used in warfare inexcusable in a policing situation.

Quote Originally Posted by RJB View Post
    Bayonets!?!?! WTF!?!? To be honest this is more troubling than armored cars. They can claim the vehicles are needed for defense, but the offensive nature of bayonets used in warfare inexcusable in a policing situation.
    I've got a K-Bar from my service days and the thought of roided out kops on the streets with M-16's sporting K-Bar's is scary!

The vast majority of kops aren't qualified to handle BB guns responsibly let alone a weapon with powder and a knife...

Bayonets! - WTF???

I used to shave w/ a gerber, but this... NO!

-t

The really scary thing about this is that most of the military equipment is going to rural police forces where crime is low. What are they gearing up for? Who are they gearing up for?
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by jmdrake View Post
    The really scary thing about this is that most of the military equipment is going to rural police forces where crime is low. What are they gearing up for? Who are they gearing up for?
    My bet is once TSHTF and the cities crumble these weapons will be used in concentric circles to keep the inhabitants within their confines...

Many of us have been advising city dwellers to get out for years.....

First, they hit the crowds with these: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...t-Pepper-Spray

Then, they follow up with the bayonets, probably hooked up to their tasers for extra fun.

What we all really need to be worried about is when they start stocking up on street cleaners to remove the mess. Then, you'll know it won't be long.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    First, they hit the crowds with these: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...t-Pepper-Spray

Then, they follow up with the bayonets, probably hooked up to their tasers for extra fun.

What we all really need to be worried about is when they start stocking up on street cleaners to remove the mess. Then, you'll know it won't be long.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	soylent.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	202.4 KB 
ID:	3056

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Never bring a knife to a gunfight.

Quote Originally Posted by FindLiberty View Post
    It's Vlad the Impaler! Dinner is served.

I feel safer.
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by jmdrake View Post
    ok, THAT IS SERIOUSLY SCARY...

-T

Bayonets will only work on slaves, not against people who have decided enough is enough.
    "I shall bring justice to Westeros. Every man shall reap what he has sown, from the highest lord to the lowest gutter rat. They have made my kingdom bleed, and I do not forget that."
    -Stannis Baratheon

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm View Post
    Bayonets will only work on slaves, not against people who have decided enough is enough.
    Since WWI bayonets have never been intended to "work" on opponents.
    The primary purpose of them for the last 100 years has been in training soldiers to be merciless. Having recruits stab dummies as part of their training helps them to dehumanize their future opponent and steel their nerves for what they're about to undertake.

Or, at least that's the story for why they were still issued in WWI. 100 years later, with more advanced and reliable firearms, I can't imagine the bayonet has assumed a more prominent role, so I'm left with the assumption that they'll be used in some sort of fidelity training.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    I've got a K-Bar from my service days and the thought of roided out kops on the streets with M-16's sporting K-Bar's is scary!

The vast majority of kops aren't qualified to handle BB guns responsibly let alone a weapon with powder and a knife...
    I love my K-bar, always have. Whenever in the woods it's always on me. Best blade they ever made IMO. Gives me the creeps thinking about getting stuck with it though ughhh Didn't know it could be used as a bayonet.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Perhaps my Ka-bar, is different than the bayonet type some posters here seem to be referring to. Mine is of Nam vintage, Camillus Cutery, issued as a USMC utility and fighting knife. It has a full tang which is something I prefer in a blade for it's strength and weight, grade a 1095 chrome-vanadiumsteel, a durable stacked leather washer handle, and a heavy duty leather snap holster with thigh strap. There is no lug for mounting to a rifle.
    Interestingly, the knife was first introduced in 1942 and the name Ka-Bar is according to factory lore, "Kill-a-bear".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ka-Bar

bayonets are used to finish off the enemy laying on the ground wounded.
    "I know the urge to arm yourself, because that’s what I did. I was trained in firearms. When I walked to the hospital when my husband was sick, I carried a concealed weapon. I made the determination that if somebody was going to try to take me out I was going to take them with me."

Diane Feinstein, 1995

Quote Originally Posted by Uriel999 View Post
    and training...
    http://www.stripes.com/blogs/the-rum...ining-1.137356

oops, sorry green, didn't mean to steal your thread here.

Though this would normally go in the Liberty History section, we are coming up on the anniversary of the Battle of Paoli, Sept 20 1777. A successful all-bayonet ambush by the British on colonial forces.

http://totallyhistory.com/battle-of-paoli/

. The British Ambush
    Meanwhile, Major General Grey took steps not to alert the Americans and removed the flints from his men’s muskets. The British forced a local blacksmith to act as a guide and launched a surprise attack on Wayne’s camp. They stormed in and with extremely light casualties of four dead and seven wounded, routed an entire American division leaving American casualties numbering 272 men killed, wounded, or missing. Seventy-one prisoners were taken, but forty of them were so badly wounded they were left in nearby houses.
    XNN
    "They sell us the president the same way they sell us our clothes and our cars. They sell us every thing from youth to religion the same time they sell us our wars. I want to know who the men in the shadows are. I want to hear somebody asking them why. They can be counted on to tell us who our enemies are but theyre never the ones to fight or to die." - Jackson Browne Lives In The Balance

Quote Originally Posted by RJB View Post
    They will work wonders when herding or scattering the nonviolent protesters.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

It's not the weapons that are the threat, it is the training (brainwashing) and militarization of their brains.... weapons don't kill people, people kill people.
    FJB

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	soylent.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	202.4 KB 
ID:	3056
    Is it just me or does the third dude from the left look like Ron?

eta: Edward G. Robinson

Quote Originally Posted by Mach View Post
    It's not the weapons that are the threat, it is the training (brainwashing) and militarization of their brains.... weapons don't kill people, people kill people.
    Truth.
    Last edited by devil21; 09-09-2014 at 02:59 AM.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Uriel999 View Post
    Or in clashes of enemy lines. Riot control lines, perhaps?
    I'm an adventurer, writer and bitcoin market analyst.

Buy my book for $11.49 (reduced):

Twitter: https://twitter.com/LeviGrandt

Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/grandtstori...homepage_panel

BTC: 1NiSc21Yrv6CRANhg1DTb1EUBVax1ZtqvG

What short memories we have...

In New Zealand:
    The Coastguard is a Charity
    Air Traffic Control is a private company run on user fees
    The DMV is a private non-profit
    Rescue helicopters and ambulances are operated by charities and are plastered with corporate logos
    The agriculture industry has zero subsidies
    5% of the national vote, gets you 5 seats in Parliament
    A tax return has 4 fields
    Business licenses aren't a thing
    Prostitution is legal
    We have a constitutional right to refuse any type of medical care

Here's an interesting tidbit about the use of the bayonet by troops whose ancestors stuck a bunch of ours.
    The U.S. Marine Corps still trains riflemen on how to use the bayonet, as does Britain. In fact, British troops were the last troops to actually use a bayonet charge in combat. This happened in 2004, when a patrol of 20 British troops in Basra, Iraq were ambushed by about a hundred Iraqi Shia militiamen. Help was still on the way when the commander of the British troops realized they were running out of ammo and the Iraqi gunmen were moving closer. So he ordered his troops to fix bayonets and charge. That thoroughly demoralized the Iraqis who, after some close combat with the British (Scots, actually) left 35 of them dead, all ran away. Some of the British troops were wounded but all survived. This, however, was one of the very few such incidents of bayonet use in the last decade. The problem is that Western troops tend to be well trained marksmen and Iraq or Afghan gunmen have learned not to get too close. So opportunities for launching a bayonet charge are increasingly rare.

https://www.strategypage.com/dls/articles/The-Spirit-Of-The-Bayonet-Lives-On-4-8-2013.asp

Quote Originally Posted by navy-vet View Post
    The problem is that Western troops tend to be well trained marksmen and Iraq or Afghan gunmen have learned not to get too close. So opportunities for launching a bayonet charge are increasingly rare.
    Sounds like quite a problem. Oh well, that will be solved when police are using them on civilians - we haven't learned those lessons. Yet.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by navy-vet View Post
    Here's an interesting tidbit about the use of the bayonet by troops whose ancestors stuck a bunch of ours.
    The U.S. Marine Corps still trains riflemen on how to use the bayonet, as does Britain. In fact, British troops were the last troops to actually use a bayonet charge in combat. This happened in 2004, when a patrol of 20 British troops in Basra, Iraq were ambushed by about a hundred Iraqi Shia militiamen. Help was still on the way when the commander of the British troops realized they were running out of ammo and the Iraqi gunmen were moving closer. So he ordered his troops to fix bayonets and charge. That thoroughly demoralized the Iraqis who, after some close combat with the British (Scots, actually) left 35 of them dead, all ran away. Some of the British troops were wounded but all survived. This, however, was one of the very few such incidents of bayonet use in the last decade. The problem is that Western troops tend to be well trained marksmen and Iraq or Afghan gunmen have learned not to get too close. So opportunities for launching a bayonet charge are increasingly rare.

https://www.strategypage.com/dls/articles/The-Spirit-Of-The-Bayonet-Lives-On-4-8-2013.asp
    And if you read the article the use of the bayonet in civilian authority is clear:
    But why do infantry continue to carry a bayonet? To a certain extent carrying a bayonet is tradition, even in the army. But there are practical reasons as well. A lot of time is spent out in the field and a knife is useful for cutting stuff. But perhaps the most effective military use is intimidation during efforts to calm down rioting civilians. This is nothing new, the fearsome effect of a bunch of guys advancing with bayonets on the end of their rifles has been known for centuries. It's also a morale boost for the lads using the bayonets. When you hear the order "fix bayonets" (put them on the end of your rifle) you feel that it is do-or-die time, even if it isn’t. Unfortunately that order is rarely given anymore. In the army the troops prefer to carry a hunting knife or multitool and most units never let the bayonets leave the arms room.
    The most common "combat" use of bayonets is for crowd control. In fact, this is about the only "bayonet training" most troops get anymore. The bayonet is used somewhat differently in these situations. For one thing, the troops don't just rush at the crowd carrying their bayonet tipped rifles. They march forward, neatly lined up, with the rifles held so that the crowd sees a line of bayonets coming at them. The troops do this while marching in step and are trained to bring their right feet down as heavily as possible. The sight of the advancing troops, the bayonets, and the rhythmic thud of boots striking the ground usually causes the crowd to scatter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast