Thread: Virginia Beach Navy jet crash

Virginia Beach Navy jet crash

Didn't see this posted,, Just saw it a bit ago.

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/2012/04...s-known-so-far

Several stories on all the circus theater.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

My wife and I were just talking about homeowners insurance..
    And the Farmer's Ad. About space junk falling on your house.
    We're covered.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

Anybody hurt?

Yup,,

So far, no deaths have been reported. Six people, including the jet's two crew members, were taken to a local hospital for treatment. The extent of their injuries was unknown, though they didn't appear critical, according to media reports. At least one person was treated for smoke inhalation.
    http://www.latimes.com/news/nation/n...,6743203.story

Bet a bunch more got a good show.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

Early reports say six taken to hospital including the two pilots who bailed out after dumping as much fuel as they could before the crash. http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/...zzS_story.html The crew seemed to be doing what they could to prevent damage to anybody.

Bruce Nedelka, the Virginia Beach EMS division chief, said that witnesses saw fuel being dumped from the jet before it went down, and that fuel was found on buildings and vehicles in the area.

“By doing so, he mitigated what could have been an absolute massive, massive fireball and fire,” Nedelka said. “With all of that jet fuel dumped, it was much less than what it could have been.”

The fire had been put out, Nedelka said, and crews were going through the buildings to search for anyone who might have been inside at the time of the crash.

The jet took off from nearby Oceana Naval Air Station and crashed into the complex on Birdneck Road in Virginia Beach shortly after noon Eastern time. The plane, a two-seater belonging to a training squadron for student pilots, appeared to encounter difficulties shortly after takeoff, the Navy said.

Witness George Pilkington told CNN that he saw the plane flying low, with its nose up and apparently emptying jet fuel, just before it plowed into the apartment building. Flames shot 60 to 80 feet into the air after the crash, he said. “There was a couple of large explosions after it crashed.”
    Witnesses reported that one of the crew members who ejected landed in the wreckage and was rescued by people who rushed to his aid.

“I’m so sorry I crashed into your building,” rescuer Pat Kavanaugh quoted the airman as saying. Kavanaugh told CNN he found the airman still strapped into his ejection seat and parachute. He said he and neighbors picked up the seat and carried the pilot away from the flames.

Another witness, Keith Gutkowski, said the other ejection seat came down on a fence about 50 feet from his house, which is less than 75 yards from the apartment complex.

Thomas Thames, a doctor at Sentara Norfolk General Hospital, told WAVY-TV that six people were brought to the hospital, including the two pilots. Two people were treated for smoke inhalation, one fainted at the scene and the other person was a police officer hurt at the scene, he said.

The F/A-18 Hornet was apparently trying to head toward the Atlantic Ocean to ditch safely but went down about a mile short of the beach, Navy sources told CNN.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 04-06-2012 at 06:03 PM.

Any buildings fall down?

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Early reports say six taken to hospital including the two pilots who bailed out after dumping as much fuel as they could before the crash. http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/...zzS_story.html The crew seemed to be doing what they could to prevent damage to anybody.
    “I’m so sorry I crashed into your building,”
    It's odd how soldiers who are trained to kill for us are far more careful of our lives than police who are trained to protect us.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Travlyr View Post
    Any buildings fall down?
    We didn't have enough time to get all the thermite in place- the crash wasn't supposed to happen until Sunday. It usually takes us a couple months even on an easy job like this. The WTC thing took nine months to set up. This was just a practice run but the pilot messed up.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 04-06-2012 at 06:19 PM.

Can't help it.

Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by bxm042 View Post
    It's odd how soldiers who are trained to kill for us are far more careful of our lives than police who are trained to protect us.
    +rep

Quote Originally Posted by bxm042 View Post
    I don't find it odd at all.........two completely different groups of people.

Sounds like so far there are no deaths or serious injuries which is very lucky break considering the extent of the damages. When I first saw the headline and pictures I expected much worse.
    Ron Paul: "For those who have asked, I freely confess that Jesus Christ is my personal Savior, and that I seek His guidance in all that I do."

Quote Originally Posted by BlackTerrel View Post
    Sounds like so far there are no deaths or serious injuries which is very lucky break considering the extent of the damages. When I first saw the headline and pictures I expected much worse.
    Yup..
    I lived near air strips before.
    Ya always gotta think about it.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    Yup..
    I lived near air strips before.
    Ya always gotta think about it.
    Lost in the hubbub, like Building 7, and I was always amazed more people didn't get killed on the ground.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/America...nes_Flight_587

American Airlines Flight 587, an Airbus A300, crashed into the Belle Harbor neighborhood of Queens, a borough of New York City, shortly after takeoff from John F. Kennedy International Airport on November 12, 2001. This is the second deadliest U.S. aviation accident to date, after American Airlines Flight 191.

With 260 fatalities on board and 5 on the ground, this accident has the second highest death toll of any accident involving an Airbus A300. Iran Air Flight 655 had 290 fatalities. China Airlines Flight 140 had 264.

The accident took place two months after the September 11 attacks on the World Trade Center in Manhattan. Several factors, such as the date, time, aircraft size, airline, eyewitness accounts, and location in New York, raised concerns that the crash was caused by another terrorist attack.[1] According to Northeast Intelligence Network, Al-Qaeda listed the crash among its successes,[2] and a Canadian militant cooperating with authorities suggested that it had been brought down with a shoe bomb. Nonetheless, terrorism was officially ruled out as the cause by the National Transportation Safety Board, which instead attributed the disaster to the first officer's overuse of rudder controls in response to wake turbulence.
    I never "bought" the official explanation, that the 1st Officer used too much rudder and, basically, snapped the vertical stabilizer off.

If that was the case, the A300 should never have flown again, if it was that poorly designed and weak.

I was also flummoxed by how quickly a "real" act of terrorism was hushed up and brushed aside.

That became a good rule of thumb for me:

"Real" = no media or government ruckus.

"False" = a nonstop 24/7 media/government barrage on the news cycle for days or weeks or even months.

Lost in the hubbub, like Building 7, and I was always amazed more people didn't get killed on the ground.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/America...nes_Flight_587
    Wow I totally remember this and remember how shocked I was of how much of a non-story it was at the time!

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    //
    Last edited by specsaregood; 04-09-2012 at 07:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by easycougar View Post
    Wow I totally remember this and remember how shocked I was of how much of a non-story it was at the time!
    Nothing to see here folks, move along.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    we had farmers when I was a kid and our house burnt down. they tried to shortchange us and not cover anything, we ended up having to sue. we finally won and got everything covered as it should; unfortunately by then we had lost all our acreage, our home and everything to the bankers. in short: $#@! a bunch of farmers insurance.
    State Farm has come through for us a couple of times.

FWIW

IT's unfeasible that nobody died.

this happened less than 5 minutes from where i work. i work in a building within close walking distance of oceana naval base...

Quote Originally Posted by VBRonPaulFan View Post
    this happened less than 5 minutes from where i work. i work in a building within close walking distance of oceana naval base...
    Close call. Glad you're OK.

I used to live near BocaChica NAS.. And used to dive up lobster from the remains of a jet crash.
    It's always good to be aware of the realities around you.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    I used to live near BocaChica NAS.. And used to dive up lobster from the remains of a jet crash.
    It's always good to be aware of the realities around you.
    I figured that when you mentioned it.

How come the jet didn't disappear like at the Pentagon? I can still see it in the photo. I was under the impression that a jet vanishes completely when it crashes.

Quote Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
    How come the jet didn't disappear like at the Pentagon? I can still see it in the photo. I was under the impression that a jet vanishes completely when it crashes.
    +rep

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Close call. Glad you're OK.
    yeah, this is mostly all on the city of VB for being retarded and lacking the foresight to predict stuff like this. when oceana was first built, it was basically in the boonies. nothing but farmland all around. (the oceanfront was only a couple of miles away, but it was still relatively rural at that time)

so what does the city of VB do? they kept constantly re-zoning the farmland around oceana to residential closer and closer to oceana, even though the navy kept bitching not to, because if a plane malfunctions during takeoff, there isn't a significant buffer for them to crash land safely. so now it's to the point where residential homes are built up literally to across the street from where the naval land is fenced off, and if a plane ever goes down, it's going down directly into homes/apartments like this. if you google earth the area around oceana, you'll see it. it's retarded.

i have a hard time understanding why someone would want to live around there mind you. before my wife and i bought the house we live in now, a realtor showed us a home pretty much a block from where this happened. we asked the realtor if the jet noise was bad, and he of course says 'no, it's not really that bad at all - you get used to it'. a minute later, a jet took off and shook the damn house so bad a picture fell off the wall. the houses are literally that freakin' close to the airstrips.

Quote Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
    oh that's simple, obviously because this is a military jet as opposed to a commercial aircraft. military aircraft are built in 'merica and made to last, hoorah! /sarcasm
    Last edited by VBRonPaulFan; 04-07-2012 at 02:36 PM.