Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Major League Baseball: Commissioner pressuring Cleveland Indians to eradicate Chief Wahoo logo

Major League Baseball: Commissioner pressuring Cleveland Indians to eradicate Chief Wahoo logo

Rob Manfred pressuring Indians to eradicate Chief Wahoo logo

CLEVELAND -- MLB commissioner Rob Manfred has made his strongest comments on wanting the Cleveland Indians to eliminate their Chief Wahoo logo.

Manfred has been in talks with Indians owner Paul Dolan about abolishing the divisive symbol, which has sparked debate for decades.

In the past, Manfred has only gone as far as saying he understood why many people find the logo offensive. Now, Manfred appears to be pressuring the Indians, who have reduced Wahoo's visibility in recent years, to make more significant changes.
    An MLB spokesman said in a statement to The Associated Press on Wednesday that "there have been productive discussions with the Cleveland Indians regarding the Commissioner's desire to transition away from the Chief Wahoo logo." LG Patterson/Getty Images

MLB spokesman Pat Courtney said in a statement to The Associated Press on Wednesday that league officials are confident about reaching a positive resolution for the game and the club.

"Thus far, there have been productive discussions with the Cleveland Indians regarding the Commissioner's desire to transition away from the Chief Wahoo logo," Courtney said. "We have specific steps in an identified process and are making progress."

On Tuesday, protesters gathered outside Progressive Field to demonstrate against the team's usage of the red-faced, smiling logo, which has been part of the team's history dating back to the 1940s.

The Indians have decreased Chief Wahoo's profile, switching their primary logo to a block "C" several years ago. However, the symbol still appears on some of the sleeves of some of the team's uniforms and caps, and the Indians have continued to sell Wahoo merchandise.

Some anti-Wahoo protesters want the team to change its nickname as well.

"We are people, not mascots, not logos, not imagery," said Carla Getz, a member of the Potawatomi tribe. Getz was one of several dozen peaceful protesters who chanted for change on a plaza outside the ballpark during Tuesday's game.

There is also a sizable contingent of Cleveland fans who understand the viewpoints of protesters, but cherish the logo and don't want the team buckle to pressure to abolish it.

The Indians were recently awarded the 2019 All-Star Game, and a possible compromise could be the Wahoo logo being completely removed from uniforms.

Bob DiBiasio, the team's senior vice president for public affairs, said Dolan and Manfred have had ongoing dialogue since the World Series last year.

"We certainly understand the sensitivities of the logo, those who find it insensitive and also those fans who have a long-standing attachment to its place in the history of the team," he said.

"We fully expect to work with the commissioner throughout the remainder of this season on finding a solution that is good for the game and our organization," DiBiasio said. "Our primary focus right now is on the team and our pursuit of returning to the postseason."

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/1...ief-wahoo-logo

Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Account Restricted. Admin to review account standing

One of the best logos in sports.

This is what happens when you lose the World Series. To the Chicago Cubs.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

Account Restricted. Admin to review account standing

Don't replace Chief Wahoo, but it you're forced to, you can't go wrong with this..........

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    One of the best logos in sports.

Certainly a food logo fits an American team better!

"We are people, not mascots, not logos, not imagery," said Carla Getz, a member of the Potawatomi tribe.
    What about mariners? Are they not people? Or how about people from metropolitan areas? Or people who are athletic? Or Texans? Or pirates? Or people who volunteer for things?
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Greatest logo / mascot in major league baseball . Minor leagues , hard to beat the Indianapolis Indians ( The Tribe ) , as they have the best ballpark also , then , maybe the Toledo Mudhens .
    Do something Danke

Probably the gayest MLB nicknames are the Twins & Royals ......
    Do something Danke

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    Don't replace Chief Wahoo, but it you're forced to, you can't go wrong with this..........

This was already tried , they were called the Washington Senators .
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    What about mariners? Are they not people? Or how about people from metropolitan areas? Or people who are athletic? Or Texans? Or pirates? Or people who volunteer for things?

Or the Oregon State Beavers.

And speaking of people. Looks like they still sell shirts for the old Brooklyn Bridegrooms. I will pick up these awesome t shirts.

@Suzanimal missed the Indianapolis Clowns ( 1946 - 1962 ) , Champs in 1950 . Hired Hank Aaron for 200 a month and sold his contract for 10k to Boston . Clowns had the first female player too , she batted .243 in 1953 ( Toni Stone ) .
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    Probably the gayest MLB nicknames are the Twins & Royals ......
    We don't care, we aren't caught up in your love affair
    And we'll never be royals
    It don't run in our blood
    That kind of lux just ain't for us
    We crave a different kind of buzz
    Last edited by dannno; 04-13-2017 at 08:10 PM.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCarolinaLiberty View Post
    Beavers & Ducks are excellent .
    Do something Danke

If I owned the twins I would rename them the Wendigos or Ojibwe or Chippewa ...... and I could sell way more merchandise than they are .
    Last edited by oyarde; 04-13-2017 at 08:49 PM.
    Do something Danke

And speaking of people. Looks like they still sell shirts for the old Brooklyn Bridegrooms. I will pick up these awesome t shirts.

In 1900 the Brooklyn Superbras won the national league with 82 wins , the Boston Beaneaters only won 66 and the Chicago Orphans 65 . On May 5 Orphans Jimmy Ryan hit his 20th career leadoff Home Run against Cincy pitcher Noodles Hahn who lead the league in strikeouts that season . Kid Nichols of the Beaneaters records his 300th career Win on July 7 , Noodles Hahn throws a no hitter against Philly on July 12 . Christy Mathewson of the Giants makes his debut in relief of a tie game ( 5 - 5 ) gives two walks , hit three batters , gave up 5 runs , the Superbras win 13 - 7 .
    Do something Danke

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    @Suzanimal missed the Indianapolis Clowns ( 1946 - 1962 ) , Champs in 1950 . Hired Hank Aaron for 200 a month and sold his contract for 10k to Boston . Clowns had the first female player too , she batted .243 in 1953 ( Toni Stone ) .
    I'm glad I missed them.

Hank Arron also played for the Braves and we had a mascot called Chief Knockahommer. He danced around on a platform playing the drums. I got his autograph - Chief Knockahommer's not Hank Arron's. Anyway, the SJW's put poor Knockahommer out of a job. Too bad, really. With a name like Knockahommer, it seemed like being a baseball mascot was his calling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Eh. I never really cared for the pro ball. Don't really care what they do. I like the youth ball.

Now watch this little feller run bases. He's a little sneaky pete.

Last edited by Natural Citizen; 04-14-2017 at 05:51 AM.

If I owned the twins I would rename them the Wendigos or Ojibwe or Chippewa ...... and I could sell way more merchandise than they are .
    ...or the team formerly know as Twins.

All modern revolutions have ended in a reinforcement of the power of the State.
    -Albert Camus

Jan2017

If you're going to bring colleges into it . . .
    Division I UC-Irvine teams are the "Anteaters" and were selected into the March Madness two years ago.

But it doesn't get much worse than a slimy mollusk . . .
    NCAA Division III UC-Santa Clara "Banana Slugs" at first was only a mascot, but students voted that as the teams' name as well.

And, there's a Purple Cow and also [] (the empty set)

Fear the "Fighting Okra" of Delta State . . .

Over seventy colleges in the US have an Eagle as their official mascot. Other popular mascots include Tigers, Bulldogs, and Bears.
    But if you go to one of these schools, you can be sure that your school’s mascot will always stand out among the crowd.
    https://ready4.com/top-10-strangest-college-mascots/
    Last edited by Jan2017; 04-15-2017 at 07:41 AM.

Chief Wahoo trailing Detroit by 1 , top of the 5th . Hopefully the Indians will prevail .
    Do something Danke

Jan2017

Chief Wahoo trailing Detroit by 1 , top of the 5th . Hopefully the Indians will prevail .
    Wahoo's "Tribe" 3-1 over the Twin Cities' Twins last night, but . . .

"The Cleveland Indians are not having a great start to the 2017 MLB season.

The defending American League Champions stumbled out of the gate with a 5-7 record, including 4 losses in their last 5 games.
    The team might be losing on the field, but fans are still making the most of their time at the ballpark."

Cleveland Indians Fan Grabs Girlfriends Breasts on Live TV (Video)
    http://www.totalprosports.com/2017/0...ng-game-video/
    Last edited by Jan2017; 04-18-2017 at 07:41 AM.

"Let it not be said that we did nothing." - Dr. Ron Paul. "Stand up for what you believe in, even if you are standing alone." - Sophie Magdalena Scholl
    "War is the health of the State." - Randolph Bourne "Freedom is the answer. ... Now, what's the question?" - Ernie Hancock.

Quote Originally Posted by AZJoe View Post
    Two of the better ones out there .
    Do something Danke

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    On Tuesday, protesters gathered outside Progressive Field to demonstrate against the team's usage of the red-faced, smiling logo, which has been part of the team's history dating back to the 1940s.
    Oh the irony. Progressives against Progressive.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

vs:

The Viking looks regal. The "Fighting Irish" mascot was picked by an Irish dominated school. That's like Jeff Foxworthy making redneck jokes or Snoop Dogg using the n-word. I can understand Native Americans being pissed at Chief Wahoo. Sure, the team owners have a right to do whatever they please. And those who booed Ron Paul for talking about the Golden Rule had a right to do that too. Not everything you have a right to do is the right thing to do.

This is how Native Americans view the Cleveland Indians.

[img]https://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/uncyclopedia/images/d/d0/Birmingham_*******_logo_3.png[/img]

Oh, and something I didn't know until researching this. Did you know the famous Agatha Christie novel "Ten Little Indians" was originally titled "Ten Little N*ggers?" One oppressed ethnic group easily replaced the other in the title.

[img]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/******#/media/File:And_Then_There_Were_None_First_Edition_Cover_ 1939.jpg[/img]

For the life of me I don't know why Cleveland wants to go to the mat over a stupid logo. But it doesn't matter anyway. Bruce Springsein, Brian Adams and other washed up singers from the 1980s will still keep performing in Cleveland as long as men are allowed to use the women's restroom. Erasing the gender line, killing unborn babies, and getting the orange man with the bad hair to release his tax returns are all the SJWs really care about.

LOL. This is rich! The autocensor at "politically incorrect" RPF won't let my post the Wikipedia historical image of the original version of the class Agatha Christie novel because the n-word is embedded in the filename.
    Last edited by jmdrake; 04-18-2017 at 07:43 AM.

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by jmdrake View Post
    The Viking looks regal. ... LOL. This is rich! .
    And therein lies the selective outrage. People choose to be offended by what they wish to be offended by. JM sees the angry, squinty eyed, closed mouthed, stereotyped horned helmet wearing, long braided haired viking as "regal" and therefore justifies the stereotyped logo perfectly fine, while simultaneously condemning the smiling happy cartoonish Indian. It is selectively chosen outrage.

One can find all manner of anything to pretend to be outraged. One need only watch Saturday morning cartoons to find all manner of caricatures from Elmer Fudd to Yosemite Sam. We can all choose to be outraged by them as well. We can choose to be outraged by the logo on Starbucks cups, or Wendy's logo, or the Morton salt girl, or Land o lakes butter or Aunt Jemima, or KFC's colonel, or Chiguita banana, or on and on. Come on, and Grow up people.

Of all the things occurring right now, this is what people choose to make a priority issue. While at the same time our government launched 59 missiles into Syria in violation of national sovereignty and international law and the Constitution; assists in Saudi Arabia starvation and bombing of Yemen, just detonated the largest ever conventional bomb used on another nation in history just for show, and whose mercenaries just blew up over a hundred civilians mostly children, and our government is threatening war on the Korean peninsula and the border of both China and Russia, is blatantly lying to justify illegal, aggressive and preemptive military actions, and on an on, not to mention the total surveillance stasi state, the growing police state actions and regular violations of individual rights, and on and on and on some more ...
    Last edited by AZJoe; 04-18-2017 at 08:22 AM.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing." - Dr. Ron Paul. "Stand up for what you believe in, even if you are standing alone." - Sophie Magdalena Scholl
    "War is the health of the State." - Randolph Bourne "Freedom is the answer. ... Now, what's the question?" - Ernie Hancock.

And therein lies the selective outrage. People choose to be offended by what they wish to be offended by. JM sees the angry, squinty eyed, closed mouthed, stereotyped horned helmet wearing, long braided haired viking as "regal" and therefore justifies the stereotyped logo perfectly fine, while simultaneously condemning the smiling happy cartoonish Indian. It is selectively chosen outrage.
    No. It's not selective outrage. Selective outrage would be you being outraged at Hillary Clinton for laughing at a stupid prosecutor. That said you are using false moral equivalency. Are you suggesting that nobody could come up with a regal looking stereotype of an Indian or a cartoonish Viking? Let me bust your high horse bubble.

The "regal Indian" is as much a historical stereotype as a regal Viking.

(I through the redneck in for free.)

Guess what? Native Americans are perfectly fine with this team logo.

Florida State has the official blessing of the Seminole Nation to use it. Now, on a certain level I don't give a rats ass what the Cleveland Indians do. I don't really watch baseball. But I object to your dishonest attempt to compare a Viking logo that any Viking could be proud of to a Indian caricature clearly designed to make fun of a particular group of people.

I would have named Cleveland The Mistake By The Lake , the name of the County is Cuyahoga which means Place of the Jawbone in Seneca . The Mohawk called it crooked river or Cayagaga . In 1969 the river caught fire . That was muh first time in cleveland . Cleveland is not even spelled right . It is named after General Moses Cleaveland . It was originally a cabin on the bank in the swamp built by a guy named Lorenzo who was aided by Stigwanish ( a Seneca Chief ) or he would have starved and or perished in floodwaters. Lorenzo left home at 18 in CT when his mother was moving to Vermont . His father died of smallpox when he was 11 .
    Last edited by oyarde; 04-18-2017 at 11:21 AM.
    Do something Danke

The man who redesigned the logo said he had a hard time figuring out how to draw the character in that cartoon way. The smile is not supposed to be a goofy looking grin. It's supposed to be the expression of an enthusiastic fan. The drawer said he was obviously not aiming to offend people.

This, for me, is the crux of the issue. The intent of the communicator in today's sensitive world has been made irrelevant by the butt hurt. It no longer matters what the communicator means. It only matters what the recipient perceives. This is incorrect because communication is a dynamic interaction. It's the proverbial two way street. If someone is going to error by making only one party matter in the communication transaction, then it should actually be the person delivering the message. Only he knows what he truly meant, despite how others might try to twist it.

I obviously still would not make communication a one way street. You have the message deliverer, who knows what he means. You also have the recipient, who perceives the message. The perception of the recipient can, in no way, change what the deliverer originally means to say. That however, does not mean that people aren't free to perceive something in any way they see fit. The happy song I write might, somehow, be interpreted by you as a sad song. That, again, can't change my original intent. Your perception is fine, but you can't tell me what I originally meant because I know what I meant.

And if it matters, I actually see something ambiguous. The logo looks like it's smiling, but it also looks like it is really gritting its teeth.
    Last edited by NorthCarolinaLiberty; 04-18-2017 at 11:35 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast