Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kidnapping, assassination...Inside the CIA's secret war plans against Wikileaks/Assange

Kidnapping, assassination...Inside the CIA's secret war plans against Wikileaks/Assange

Kidnapping, assassination and a London shoot-out: Inside the CIA's secret war plans against WikiLeaks
    https://news.yahoo.com/kidnapping-as...090057786.html
    Some senior officials inside the CIA and the Trump administration even discussed killing Assange, going so far as to request “sketches” or “options” for how to assassinate him. Discussions over kidnapping or killing Assange occurred “at the highest levels” of the Trump administration, said a former senior counterintelligence official. “There seemed to be no boundaries.”
    There is no indication that the most extreme measures targeting Assange were ever approved, in part because of objections from White House lawyers, but the agency’s WikiLeaks proposals so worried some administration officials that they quietly reached out to staffers and members of Congress on the House and Senate intelligence committees to alert them to what Pompeo was suggesting. “There were serious intel oversight concerns that were being raised through this escapade,” said a Trump national security official.
    Some discussions even went beyond kidnapping. U.S. officials had also considered killing Assange, according to three former officials. One of those officials said he was briefed on a spring 2017 meeting in which the president asked whether the CIA could assassinate Assange and provide him “options” for how to do so
    CIA Reportedly Considered Kidnapping, Assassinating Julian Assange
    https://www.rollingstone.com/politic...inate-1232546/
    The CIA reportedly plotted to kidnap Julian Assange, and some senior officials in the agency and the Trump administration allegedly went so far as to consider options for how to assassinate the WikiLeaks founder, Yahoo! News reported Sunday.
    * See my visitor message area for caveats related to my posting history here.
    * Also, I have effectively retired from all social media including posting here and are basically opting out of anything to do with national politics or this country on federal or state level and rather focusing locally. I may stop by from time to time to discuss philosophy on a general level related to Libertarian schools of thought and application in the real world.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

CIA plotted to kidnap/assassinate Julian Assange

https://twitter.com/Snowden/status/1442135407429226514

It's a long article, but well worth reading:

Kidnapping, assassination and a London shoot-out: Inside the CIA's secret war plans against WikiLeaks
    Zach Dorfman, Sean D. Naylor & Michael Isikoff (26 September 2021)

In 2017, as Julian Assange began his fifth year holed up in Ecuador’s embassy in London, the CIA plotted to kidnap the WikiLeaks founder, spurring heated debate among Trump administration officials over the legality and practicality of such an operation.

Some senior officials inside the CIA and the Trump administration even discussed killing Assange, going so far as to request “sketches” or “options” for how to assassinate him. Discussions over kidnapping or killing Assange occurred “at the highest levels” of the Trump administration, said a former senior counterintelligence official. “There seemed to be no boundaries.”

The conversations were part of an unprecedented CIA campaign directed against WikiLeaks and its founder. The agency’s multipronged plans also included extensive spying on WikiLeaks associates, sowing discord among the group’s members, and stealing their electronic devices.

While Assange had been on the radar of U.S. intelligence agencies for years, these plans for an all-out war against him were sparked by WikiLeaks’ ongoing publication of extraordinarily sensitive CIA hacking tools, known collectively as “Vault 7,” which the agency ultimately concluded represented “the largest data loss in CIA history.”

President Trump’s newly installed CIA director, Mike Pompeo, was seeking revenge on WikiLeaks and Assange, who had sought refuge in the Ecuadorian Embassy since 2012 to avoid extradition to Sweden on rape allegations he denied. Pompeo and other top agency leaders “were completely detached from reality because they were so embarrassed about Vault 7,” said a former Trump national security official. “They were seeing blood.”

The CIA’s fury at WikiLeaks led Pompeo to publicly describe the group in 2017 as a “non-state hostile intelligence service.” More than just a provocative talking point, the designation opened the door for agency operatives to take far more aggressive actions, treating the organization as it does adversary spy services, former intelligence officials told Yahoo News. Within months, U.S. spies were monitoring the communications and movements of numerous WikiLeaks personnel, including audio and visual surveillance of Assange himself, according to former officials.

This Yahoo News investigation, based on conversations with more than 30 former U.S. officials — eight of whom described details of the CIA’s proposals to abduct Assange — reveals for the first time one of the most contentious intelligence debates of the Trump presidency and exposes new details about the U.S. government’s war on WikiLeaks. It was a campaign spearheaded by Pompeo that bent important legal strictures, potentially jeopardized the Justice Department’s work toward prosecuting Assange, and risked a damaging episode in the United Kingdom, the United States’ closest ally.

The CIA declined to comment. Pompeo did not respond to requests for comment.

[... FULL ARTICLE AT LINK: https://news.yahoo.com/kidnapping-as...090057786.html ...]
    Last edited by Occam's Banana; 09-26-2021 at 12:16 PM.
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    Well, at least, no one at CNN (or any other so-called "journalists" at any of the Ministry of Propaganda's other branch offices) would have had anything at all to worry about ...

https://twitter.com/FreedomofPress/s...01001385758728

https://twitter.com/FreedomofPress/s...12540482355200
    //

Last edited by kahless; 09-26-2021 at 12:20 PM.
    * Also, I have effectively retired from all social media including posting here and are basically opting out of anything to do with national politics or this country on federal or state level and rather focusing locally. I may stop by from time to time to discuss philosophy on a general level related to Libertarian schools of thought and application in the real world.

Trump's failure to pardon Assange, Snowden and Manning are the biggest betrayal by Trump on behalf of the deep state that supposedly opposed him ever.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    https://twitter.com/Snowden/status/1442135407429226514

It's a long article, but well worth reading:

Zach Dorfman, Sean D. Naylor & Michael Isikoff (26 September 2021)

In 2017, as Julian Assange began his fifth year holed up in Ecuador’s embassy in London, the CIA plotted to kidnap the WikiLeaks founder, spurring heated debate among Trump administration officials over the legality and practicality of such an operation.

The conversations were part of an unprecedented CIA campaign directed against WikiLeaks and its founder. The agency’s multipronged plans also included extensive spying on WikiLeaks associates, sowing discord among the group’s members, and stealing their electronic devices.

While Assange had been on the radar of U.S. intelligence agencies for years, these plans for an all-out war against him were sparked by WikiLeaks’ ongoing publication of extraordinarily sensitive CIA hacking tools, known collectively as “Vault 7,” which the agency ultimately concluded represented “the largest data loss in CIA history.”

President Trump’s newly installed CIA director, Mike Pompeo, was seeking revenge on WikiLeaks and Assange, who had sought refuge in the Ecuadorian Embassy since 2012 to avoid extradition to Sweden on rape allegations he denied. Pompeo and other top agency leaders “were completely detached from reality because they were so embarrassed about Vault 7,” said a former Trump national security official. “They were seeing blood.”

The CIA’s fury at WikiLeaks led Pompeo to publicly describe the group in 2017 as a “non-state hostile intelligence service.” More than just a provocative talking point, the designation opened the door for agency operatives to take far more aggressive actions, treating the organization as it does adversary spy services, former intelligence officials told Yahoo News. Within months, U.S. spies were monitoring the communications and movements of numerous WikiLeaks personnel, including audio and visual surveillance of Assange himself, according to former officials.

This Yahoo News investigation, based on conversations with more than 30 former U.S. officials — eight of whom described details of the CIA’s proposals to abduct Assange — reveals for the first time one of the most contentious intelligence debates of the Trump presidency and exposes new details about the U.S. government’s war on WikiLeaks. It was a campaign spearheaded by Pompeo that bent important legal strictures, potentially jeopardized the Justice Department’s work toward prosecuting Assange, and risked a damaging episode in the United Kingdom, the United States’ closest ally.

The CIA declined to comment. Pompeo did not respond to requests for comment.

[... FULL ARTICLE AT LINK: https://news.yahoo.com/kidnapping-as...090057786.html ...]
    And supposedly Trump was protecting us from the "deep state" by letting Pompeo try to assassinate Assange. God help us!

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Uh Oh , Danke is an information broker.
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by jmdrake View Post
    Trump's failure to pardon Assange, Snowden and Manning are the biggest betrayal by Trump on behalf of the deep state that supposedly opposed him ever.
    Just another example what is said to his supporters and the way he actually governed are two entirely different things. How much more obvious did Trump have to be for people to realize this when he populated his entire administration with those opposite of the platform he presented to his supporters.
    Last edited by kahless; 09-27-2021 at 05:43 AM.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by kahless View Post
    Just another example what is said to his supporters and they way he actually governed are two entirely different things. How much more obvious did Trump have to be for people to realize this when he populated his entire administration with those opposite of the platform he presented to his supporters.
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to kahless again.

And we're being set up to have no other choice but Trump again.

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    Uh Oh , Danke is an information broker.
    The CIA should look into whether Chelsea Manning and Reality Winner are graduates of his Home for Wayward Women.

https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/statu...51752099418112

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to kahless again.

And we're being set up to have no other choice but Trump again.
    Yep and sadly ushered in with help by so called liberty candidates that have turned a blind eye to reality. No doubt enticed by how it will benefit them in whatever financial deals are being made to gain their support or support for their re-election.

And supposedly Trump was protecting us from the "deep state" by letting Pompeo try to assassinate Assange. God help us!

And no pardon.

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to jmdrake again."
    Chris

"Government ... does not exist of necessity, but rather by virtue of a tragic, almost comical combination of klutzy, opportunistic terrorism against sitting ducks whom it pretends to shelter, plus our childish phobia of responsibility, praying to be exempted from the hard reality of life on life's terms." Wolf DeVoon

"...Make America Great Again. I'm interested in making American FREE again. Then the greatness will come automatically."Ron Paul

But the billionaire on the TV told me that Trump was an anti-establishment outsider!
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    But the billionaire on the TV told me that Trump was an anti-establishment outsider!
    LOL, so true. Sadly millions fell for it. So it is kind of a frustrated LOL.

Sadly along these lines
    Last edited by kahless; 09-26-2021 at 05:14 PM.

I was just going to post this - looks like I got sniped. It's definitely worth reading.
    LOL, so true. Sadly millions fell for it. So it is kind of a frustrated LOL.
    Not only that but they're willing to deny reality and create an echo chamber, through which the reality of Trump losing cannot permeate. At the very least aiming to get a grip on reality should be a priority.
    The enemy of my enemy may be worse than my enemy.

I do not suffer from Trump Rearrangement Syndrome. Sorry if that triggers you.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I'm convinced that the deep state opposed Trump more because he was so bad at his job, than that he threatened their stranglehold over the government.

In that I agree with the deep state, while also opposing them in general. Things aren't always so simple... It's like having a bad boss and even your despised co-workers are on your side on it.
    The enemy of my enemy may be worse than my enemy.

I do not suffer from Trump Rearrangement Syndrome. Sorry if that triggers you.

I know, right? It's like Trump should have totally been hooked into RPF's and 'in the know.' Right? I mean how could anyone not distrust the deep state and not know the truthiness like we do?

It’s more “anonymous sources”.
    And from “former intelligence officials” at that.
    Take it with a salt pill, especially the part about Trump.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    I know, right? It's like Trump should have totally been hooked into RPF's and 'in the know.' Right? I mean how could anyone not distrust the deep state and not know the truthiness like we do?
    It doesn't take special knowledge to know that without the truth being leaked about Hillary, Trump likely would not have won the first time. I mean...a little gratitude?

This was both funny and scary...

The intrigue over a potential Assange escape set off a wild scramble among rival spy services in London. American, British and Russian agencies, among others, stationed undercover operatives around the Ecuadorian Embassy. In the Russians’ case, it was to facilitate a breakout. For the U.S. and allied services, it was to block such an escape. “It was beyond comical,” said the former senior official. “It got to the point where every human being in a three-block radius was working for one of the intelligence services — whether they were street sweepers or police officers or security guards.”
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Just another example what is said to his supporters and the way he actually governed are two entirely different things. How much more obvious did Trump have to be for people to realize this when he populated his entire administration with those opposite of the platform he presented to his supporters.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    It’s more “anonymous sources”.
    And from “former intelligence officials” at that.
    Take it with a salt pill, especially the part about Trump.
    I read the entire article. It never mentioned Trump being involved himself. It was all about the madness of Pompeo and the CIA.

What it highlighted about Trump more than anything was Trump’s poor selection of people for his administration. Pompeo was a disaster.

At the White House, officials began planning for that scenario. Could the United States launch a cyberattack on a server being used by WikiLeaks to house these documents?

Officials weren’t sure if the Defense Department had the authority to do so at the time, absent the president’s signature. Alternatively, they suggested, perhaps the CIA could carry out the same action under the agency’s offensive counterintelligence powers.
    They explicitly were trying to do things without telling Trump.

Yahoo News could not confirm if these proposals made it to the White House. Some officials with knowledge of the rendition proposals said they had heard no discussions about assassinating Assange.

In a statement to Yahoo News, Trump denied that he ever considered having Assange assassinated. “It’s totally false, it never happened,” he said. Trump seemed to express some sympathy for Assange’s plight. “In fact, I think he’s been treated very badly,” he added.

Whatever Trump’s view of the matter at the time, his NSC lawyers were bulwarks against the CIA’s potentially illegal proposals, according to former officials. “While people think the Trump administration didn’t believe in the rule of law, they had good lawyers who were paying attention to it,” said a former senior intelligence official.
    Inside the White House, Pompeo’s impassioned arguments on WikiLeaks were making little headway. The director’s most aggressive proposals were “probably taken seriously” in Langley but not within the NSC, a former national security official said.

Even Sessions, Trump’s “very, very anti-Assange” attorney general, was opposed to CIA’s encroachment onto Justice Department territory, and believed that the WikiLeaks founder’s case was best handled through legal channels, said the former official.
    The game being played is to use “Pompeo” and “Trump Administration” interchangeably.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

I read the entire article. It never mentioned Trump being involved himself. It was all about the madness of Pompeo and the CIA.

What it highlighted about Trump more than anything was Trump’s poor selection of people for his administration. Pompeo was a disaster.

They explicitly were trying to do things without telling Trump.

The game being played is to use “Pompeo” and “Trump Administration” interchangeably.
    Yeah. Trump nominated the very people he claimed to be against. We get it. And it's not a "game." The people you nominate and keep with you until the end are your administration. That's the way this has always worked and always will work. But lastly, Trump had absolute power to pardon Assange, Snowden and Manning and chose not to for his own selfish reasons. Those are just facts.

My only Question did Trump knew about this Plan?

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Yeah. Trump nominated the very people he claimed to be against. We get it. And it's not a "game." The people you nominate and keep with you until the end are your administration.
    Of course. But "the game" is the one played by the media, who intentionally spin everything.

But lastly, Trump had absolute power to pardon Assange, Snowden and Manning and chose not to for his own selfish reasons. Those are just facts.
    Yeah, Trump should have pardoned them. Another huge failure by Trump.

And if he had pardoned them, would we all be shocked when the Biden Administration simply filed new charges?

And if he had pardoned them, would we all be shocked when the Biden Administration simply filed new charges?
    Very. A pardon expunges nothing, and double jeopardy still applies.

Making excuses for Trump is a fool's errand.
    We believe our lying eyes...

Of course. But "the game" is the one played by the media, who intentionally spin everything.

Yeah, Trump should have pardoned them. Another huge failure by Trump.

Not possible. Double jepordy.

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    Very. A pardon expunges nothing, and double jeopardy still applies.

Making excuses for Trump is a fool's errand.
    ^This.

It is in there.

One of those officials said he was briefed on a spring 2017 meeting in which the president asked whether the CIA could assassinate Assange and provide him “options” for how to do so

That's because they are interchangeable.

The president's cabinet, directly appointed by him, is absolutely part of the president's administration.
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

It is in there.
    I wouldn’t put it past Trump for a second. It certainly sounds like a question Trump would ask.

But that is referring to an anonymous official who wasn't at the meeting. I wouldn’t put it past the media or officials to make that up either. And it sounding like a Trumpism makes it believable.

The majority of the article is focused on Pompeo though, with a lot more evidence. Pompeo 2024 coming soon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast