Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rand votes for Sessions as AG

Thumbs down Rand votes for Sessions as AG

Lots of angst on Facebook over this vote.
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Awful. What possible excuse could he have? Sessions is the antithesis to what Rand claims to believe.
    The more prohibitions you have,
    the less virtuous people will be.
    The more weapons you have,
    the less secure people will be.
    The more subsidies you have,
    the less self-reliant people will be.

Therefore the Master says:
    I let go of the law,
    and people become honest.
    I let go of economics,
    and people become prosperous.
    I let go of religion,
    and people become serene.
    I let go of all desire for the common good,
    and the good becomes common as grass.

-Tao Te Ching, Section 57

He always said he would. Not a big fan of him engaging in party bull$#@!, I guess he has to pick his battles.
    “I don’t think that there will be any curtailing of Donald Trump as president,” he said. "He controls the media, he controls the sentiment [and] he controls everybody. He’s the one who will resort to executive orders more so than [President] Obama ever used them." - Ron Paul

Yeah this was a bad vote for Rand.
    I am the spoon.

Quote Originally Posted by John F Kennedy III View Post
    Yeah this was a bad vote for Rand.
    Sorry guys, I am just a little boy.

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    Sorry guys, I am just a little boy.
    Grow up.
    I am the spoon.

Paul said that he was most concerned about Lynch's support of civil forfeiture laws. They permit the Internal Revenue Service to seize property that is suspected of being produced by or involved in crime. The agency has been accused of abusing the statutes.
    Oops.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul
    Perhaps the most important lesson from Obamacare is that while liberty is lost incrementally, it cannot be regained incrementally. The federal leviathan continues its steady growth; sometimes boldly and sometimes quietly. Obamacare is just the latest example, but make no mistake: the statists are winning. So advocates of liberty must reject incremental approaches and fight boldly for bedrock principles.
    The epitome of libertarian populism

Yeah this is bad. On the flip-side he got a lot of grief from "teocons" by voting against Pompeo. He's going to get grief no matter what, so he might as well go all out "radical".

I'm sure he's trying to get his healthcare and Fed audit bill through, but who cares? Trump campaigned on both of those things, so they should go through no matter what, right?
    Support Justin Amash for Congress
    Michigan Congressional District 3

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Good for Rand. Sessions is a good man. He's not going after YOUR freedoms. He's going after the freedoms of child, drug, weapon and organ harvester's freedoms within our own government. So hold your angst.

You think he was so vehemently opposed by the Dems because he was racist? No....they are scared to death because he's not compromised and they have nothing to blackmail him with. $#@! about to go down!
    Last edited by PatriotOne; 02-09-2017 at 08:10 AM.

Good people don't smoke marijuana
    “I don’t think that there will be any curtailing of Donald Trump as president,” he said. "He controls the media, he controls the sentiment [and] he controls everybody. He’s the one who will resort to executive orders more so than [President] Obama ever used them." - Ron Paul

Quote Originally Posted by PatriotOne View Post
    Good for Rand. Sessions is a good man. He's not going after YOUR freedoms. He's going after the freedoms of child, drug, weapon and organ harvester's freedoms within our own government. So hold your angst.

You think he was so vehemently opposed by the Dems because he was racist? No....they are scared to death because he's not compromised and they have nothing to blackmail him with. $#@! about to go down!
    $#@!ing wow.

Ron Paul would have voted NO. Period.
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.
    -Major General Smedley Butler, USMC,
    Two-Time Congressional Medal of Honor Winner
    Author of, War is a Racket!

It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours.
    - Diogenes of Sinope

I can tell you for a fact he's going after my freedoms.

Did you see anyone HERE mention race? No? Good, that's not the issue. Stop letting them distract you.
    The more prohibitions you have,
    the less virtuous people will be.
    The more weapons you have,
    the less secure people will be.
    The more subsidies you have,
    the less self-reliant people will be.

Therefore the Master says:
    I let go of the law,
    and people become honest.
    I let go of economics,
    and people become prosperous.
    I let go of religion,
    and people become serene.
    I let go of all desire for the common good,
    and the good becomes common as grass.

-Tao Te Ching, Section 57

Good for Rand. Sessions is a good man. He's not going after YOUR freedoms.
    You obviously haven't seen Sessions' track record of doing very bad things
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

coulda been much worse

I'm depending on Rand Paul to bring people like Sessions and Trump up to date on issues like civil asset forfeiture and marijuana.

What was the likelihood that Trump was ever going to appoint someone who agrees with us on such issues? I'd guess none whatsoever. Meanwhile, Sessions has stood by the Constitution on some other issues - much more so than anyone a democrat would prefer.

When the time comes, I have every expectation that Rand will stand up and fight for changes - putting a realistic face on drug use - as opposed to the lazy/hippy/criminal stereotypes from the 70's, which old man Sessions probably still has in his head.

While Trump's recent comments about civil asset forfeiture were awful, he appeared to believe it is something used primarily against drug cartels. This makes me doubt he has any idea how often civil asset forfeiture has been abused for profit, used against ordinary people who can't fight back regardless of innocence. We all know there are hundreds (at least!) of instances Rand could site to drive home this point and It will be up to him to ensure that the truth is exposed and help make the case against it's constitutionality.

When Rand argues against bad policies, I surmise that competing arguments (and votes) will not break down along typical party lines. He will have reliable Republicans on his side and possibly, all or most Democrats (seeing as most dems will only care about demonstrating how anti-Sessions or anti-Trump they are ).
    Last edited by Valli6; 02-09-2017 at 11:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Valli6 View Post
    I'm depending on Rand Paul to bring people like Sessions and Trump up to date on issues like civil asset forfeiture and marijuana.
    Did Rand get a chance to question Sessions? I don't recall seeing that. It would be telling to see how Sessions would answer specific questions. Hopefully Rand would have asked him about forfeiture and the war on drugs.

If Rand does want to have influence in the future with Sessions, this would not be the time for a symbolic "no" vote. Sessions was going through no matter what. That is strategic politics.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by jllundqu View Post
    Ron Paul would have voted NO. Period.
    Did Ron recommend a "no" vote?

"Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Of course he wasn't going to vote against a Senator from his own party for a cabinet position. To do so would've been unprecedented and would've accomplished nothing. Would Christie or Giuliani as AG have been better? Of course not, and one of them would've been confirmed as AG had Sessions been blocked.

Matt seemed to be politically smart and realistic at one time. Not so much anymore apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Did Rand get a chance to question Sessions? I don't recall seeing that.
    I don't think he did - I can't find anything. There's video of Rand questioning Gen. Kelly (Homeland Security) the same day Sessions' hearing started. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHddyJKcxj4
    If both hearings happened on the same days, he probably had to choose one or the other.

There was also a political witch hunt going on against Sessions by the Democrats, claiming he was a racist when no such evidence ever existed. So let's see. Rand was going to give up all of the political capital he had and be the only Republican to join the left in a political witch hunt against someone who's a good man, regardless of how you feel about his politics. Yeah, that would've been a brilliant move. 😏

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Collins View Post
    You obviously haven't seen Sessions' track record of doing very bad things
    Well since he's AG now he won't be voting on bills anymore and you should be glad. He's a good decent man and he won't be protecting the past criminals in charge. That was basically the job of the AG's of Bush 1, Clinton, Bush 2, and Obama/Clinton's. To protect THEM while they ran drugs, humans, arms, and organs.

I hope that conversation takes place AFTER they get back all the money the criminals in charge for the past several decades. SIEZE ALL THEIR ASSETS THEY STOLE FROM THE AMERICAN PUBLIC. All those terrible laws they put in place is a double edged sword. I hope they get sliced and diced with said sword and fed to the dogs. Hoist them up with their own petard they built. Then change the law :-).

I hope that conversation takes place AFTER they get back all the money the criminals in charge for the past several decades. SIEZE ALL THEIR ASSETS THEY STOLE FROM THE AMERICAN PUBLIC. All those terrible laws they put in place is a double edged sword. I hope they get sliced and diced with said sword and fed to the dogs. Hoist them up with their own petard they built. Then change the law :-).

Hope in one hand, $#@! in the other.
    "The Patriarch"

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.

What was the likelihood that Trump was ever going to appoint someone who agrees with us on such issues? I'd guess none whatsoever. Meanwhile, Sessions has stood by the Constitution on some other issues - much more so than anyone a democrat would prefer.

When the time comes, I have every expectation that Rand will stand up and fight for changes - putting a realistic face on drug use - as opposed to the lazy/hippy/criminal stereotypes from the 70's, which old man Sessions probably still has in his head.

While Trump's recent comments about civil asset forfeiture were awful, he appeared to believe it is something used primarily against drug cartels. This makes me doubt he has any idea how often civil asset forfeiture has been abused for profit, used against ordinary people who can't fight back regardless of innocence. We all know there are hundreds (at least!) of instances Rand could site to drive home this point and It will be up to him to ensure that the truth is exposed and help make the case against it's constitutionality.

When Rand argues against bad policies, I surmise that competing arguments (and votes) will not break down along typical party lines. He will have reliable Republicans on his side and possibly, all or most Democrats (seeing as most dems will only care about demonstrating how anti-Sessions or anti-Trump they are ).
    You really think Trump doesn't understand civil asset forfeiture? I find that extremely hard to believe.
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by Brett85 View Post
    Matt seemed to be politically smart and realistic at one time. Not so much anymore apparently.
    You have that backwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    Hope in one hand, $#@! in the other.
    Sessions sworn in and then Trump signs 3 executive orders in Sessions presence... Coincidence? I think not ;-).

"I'm signing three executive actions today designed to restore safety in America," Trump said, adding he was fulfilling another campaign promise. "I am directing DOJ and DHS to take all necessary action to break the backs of criminal cartels that have spread across our nation."*

Drops mike.

Rand got all kinds of criticism from the right for voting against Pompeo, now so called libertarians say they will no longer support him because he voted to confirm his friend and colleague, Jeff Sessions. Really, if I were Rand I would just want to quit the Senate and go back to his medical practice. There's no point of fighting for people who are completely ungrateful for what he's done in the Senate. I would truly hate to be him and try to deal with so many irrational and unreasonable people. The liberty movement has been a dying movement for quite some time anyway, but yet I guess the goal is to make it as small as it can possibly be by condemning the one guy in the Senate who actually fights for liberty every single day. Good luck with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett85 View Post
    There was also a political witch hunt going on against Sessions by the Democrats, claiming he was a racist when no such evidence ever existed. So let's see. Rand was going to give up all of the political capital he had and be the only Republican to join the left in a political witch hunt against someone who's a good man, regardless of how you feel about his politics. Yeah, that would've been a brilliant move. ��
    Indeed, Sen Warren's last ditch attempt to bust Sessions as a racist has just been busted, with the surfacing of this video, showing Mrs. Martin Luther King Jr. praising Sessions:

Last edited by Peace&Freedom; 04-14-2017 at 07:44 AM.
    -----Peace & Freedom, John Clifton-----
    Blog: https://electclifton.wordpress.com/2...back-backlash/

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    You really think Trump doesn't understand civil asset forfeiture? I find that extremely hard to believe.
    It's possible he's never heard a discussion of how it's used wrongly. It's one of those things that the media/politicians really never discuss, certainly not in any depth. When it is mentioned, it's always made to sound like it's something that's only used against "obvious" drug dealers and would never be abused because - you know, that would just be so obviously wrong it could never happen, right?

To tell you the truth, if I hadn't become interested in Ron Paul, I don't think I ever would have had reason to hear about civil asset forfeiture or how it's used frivolously and leaves innocent victims with no options for redress. (Unless of course, it happened to me! me! me! - which is when any given thing starts to matter most. )

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast