Thread: Silicon Valley 'Working Homeless' Sleep In Cars As Tech Titans Live Like Kings - RT

Silicon Valley 'Working Homeless' Sleep In Cars As Tech Titans Live Like Kings - RT

RT - Russia Today, so the story may contain some bias. However, this is NOT the first time I've heard of the Average Joe in Silicon Valley being absolutely royally screwed.

https://www.rt.com/usa/409230-silico...king-homeless/

At the fringes of this dazzling techno mecca nestled on the Pacific coast of California, home to some of the world's wealthiest individuals and corporations, a rising number of 'working homeless' serve as a lamentable footnote to the American Dream.

This is not a story of Americans who have, for any number of reasons, dropped out of the economy and are now living on the streets. This is a story of hard-working Americans who have jobs, sometimes two or three simultaneously, yet are unable to afford basic rent. These people have come to define a whole new sub-culture of Americans that was unheard of just several decades ago: 'working homeless.'

Sad Valley?

The perennial issue of homelessness is not the first thing one would probably associate with Silicon Valley, which enjoys the status as one of the leading research-and-development centers in the world.

Powered along by dozens of Forbes 100 companies, like Apple, Alphabet (Google), Hewlett Packard and Oracle, Silicon Valley accounts for one-third of all venture capital investment in the US.

And although it may be slightly unsettling considering California's well-known liberal tendencies, tech stocks continue to smash records ever since the Republican Donald Trump entered the White House.

So, how to explain the disturbing phenomenon of retail workers, teachers, maintenance workers, plumbers and many other assorted service-sector workers, who are living out of cars and RVs in parking lots because their salary is not enough to afford the cost of rent? Especially in a region of the country that is practically swimming in cash.

"The median rent in the San Jose metro area is $3,500 a month, yet the median wage is $12 an hour in food service and $19 an hour in health care support, an amount that won't even cover housing costs," AP reported in a recent exposé devoted to the issue.

The report detailed the heart-wrenching story of Ellen Tara James-Penney, 54, who teaches at San Jose State University, who is paid "$28,000 a year to teach four English classes and is carrying $143,000 in student debt after earning two degrees.”

"She grades papers and prepares lessons in the Volvo. At night, she leans back the driver's seat and prepares for sleep [with] one of two dogs, Hank, by her side. Her husband, Jim, who is too tall for the car, sleeps outside in a tent cot with their other dog, Buddy."

In Mountain View, a city of 80,000, over 300 vehicles are scattered throughout the city, serving as cramped living quarters for individuals and entire families. But, as officials come under increasing pressure to deal with the growing influx of homeless, resources are being stretched to breaking point.

According to the city's official website, "Mountain View homelessness nearly doubled from 139 in 2013, to 276 in 2015. These numbers have risen further countywide in 2017. For Mountain View, there are 416 homeless, up by 51 percent from 2015."

Meanwhile, in nearby Palo Alto, officials were forced to impose a 72-hour limit on RVs parked along streets in the city, following a raft of complaints by residents.

Blame the poor?

There is the temptation to blame these struggling individuals for their present plight. After all, why not just load up the vehicle and move to a place where the spending habits of the ultra-wealthy have not triggered steep inflation? Although there seems to be some truth to that statement, the problem is not so simple, as it goes beyond the borders of Silicon Valley.

Full article on link.
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    loveshiscountry

"The median rent in the San Jose metro area is $3,500 a month, yet the median wage is $12 an hour in food service and $19 an hour in health care support, an amount that won't even cover housing costs," AP reported in a recent exposé devoted to the issue."

I'm reminded of Kinison talking about world hunger and how people should move to where the food is since nothing grows in the desert.

Quote Originally Posted by loveshiscountry View Post
    "The median rent in the San Jose metro area is $3,500 a month, yet the median wage is $12 an hour in food service and $19 an hour in health care support, an amount that won't even cover housing costs," AP reported in a recent exposé devoted to the issue."

I'm reminded of Kinison talking about world hunger and how people should move to where the food is since nothing grows in the desert.

Right? I mean the only way the market there can support $3500/month rent is if there are enough people who are paying it. There's no reason all of that excess money should be going into real estate. If the foodworkers and other "support" occupations left the area, there would instantly be a demand for them which would raise their pay naturally.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

There has always been a certain percentage of people who commute long distances for work, and stay during the week in hotels, motels and RVs. Through circumstances (like divorce), some people decided to make the RV living permanent.

The working homeless are just a portion of all homeless. As usual, the majority of the homeless are addicts and mentally ill. The media and bleeding hearts like to trot out the exceptions to generate sympathy. As property values and demand go through the roof, there will be more people living on the streets rather than in low end housing.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    There has always been a certain percentage of people who commute long distances for work, and stay during the week in hotels, motels and RVs. Through circumstances (like divorce), some people decided to make the RV living permanent.

The working homeless are just a portion of all homeless. As usual, the majority of the homeless are addicts and mentally ill. The media and bleeding hearts like to trot out the exceptions to generate sympathy. As property values and demand go through the roof, there will be more people living on the streets rather than in low end housing.
    The only real difference between Silicon Valley and other parts of the country are the dollar figures. All have their share of people struggling to survive. Every place, every point in history.

Everybody wants high paying jobs. Silicon Valley is what happens when you do get a lot of high paying jobs. Everybody wants to live there. That leads to housing shortages and higher costs of living.

The only real difference between Silicon Valley and other parts of the country are the dollar figures. All have their share of people struggling to survive. Every place, every point in history.

Everybody wants high paying jobs. Silicon Valley is what happens when you do get a lot of high paying jobs. Everybody wants to live there. That leads to housing shortages and higher costs of living.
    And just as much as anything, it is the destination of choice for over two billion people from Asia. And many of them are wealthy, and pay cash. To some of them, Silicon Valley is to Asia like Arizona is to California. Much cheaper. China and India have plenty of wealthy people amoung those 2 billion. Supply and demand, there is no escaping that basic rule.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

And if government didn't get in the way people would build more housing and prices would drop.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    And if government didn't get in the way people would build more housing and prices would drop.
    Only so much land is available in a given area. Four and five story apartment and condo complexes are popular now. They tear down existing shopping centers, light industrial buildings and two story apartment complexes to build them.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Only so much land is available in a given area. Four and five story apartment and condo complexes are popular now. They tear down existing shopping centers, light industrial buildings and two story apartment complexes to build them.
    True but the market would sort out all the relevant factors for the best possible outcome if government didn't interfere.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

If,and if , and if,,
    If there were real money,, the market would not be flooded with overpriced homes.

Without regulation there would be more jobs than people to do them.

if and if.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    If,and if , and if,,
    If there were real money,, the market would not be flooded with overpriced homes.

if and if.
    "IF" is the saddest word in the English language.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    If,and if , and if,,

if and if.
    In the perfect world, everybody is a millionaire. Houses cost $10 and everything else a nickel. But that isn't reality.

Silicon Valley is the result of success and lots of high paying jobs in an area. Isn't that supposed to be what we want?

Silicon Valley is the result of success and lots of high paying jobs in an area. Isn't that supposed to be what we want?
    what happens when the job ends. When the promise of High Pay is broken.

what is that over-priced, poorly constructed property worth now?
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

In the perfect world, everybody is a millionaire. Houses cost $10 and everything else a nickel. But that isn't reality.

Silicon Valley is the result of manipulated markets causing bubbles.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Cliche.

Cliche.
    But true.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Yeah, but this time we do it much better. Instead of unloading the unicorns on the stock market like we did in 2000, we now quietly cultivate them in private. This way their stratospheric valuations do not affect anybody* and keep the SEC off our back. There are some talks about portfolios reaching soon $1T based on these funky valuations. I love this sport.

* here it means anybody that matters