Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Healthcare Bill Passes House, Now on to Senate

Healthcare Bill Passes House, Now on to Senate

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/senat...ry?id=47184608

While Senate Republicans say they are pleased with the progress the House of Representatives is making on its Obamacare replacement bill, there are still several major roadblocks ahead if the legislation makes it to the other side of the Capitol.

First, several Senate Republicans who opposed the first version of the House bill remain skeptical. Second, the Senate would likely have to change the bill significantly, perhaps in ways that might displease House Republicans when the two sides seek to reconcile the different versions.

When the House leadership released its original health care proposal in March, at least eight Senate Republicans said they had fundamental problems with the bill. The conservative Sens. Rand Paul, R-Ky.; Mike Lee, R-Utah; and Ted Cruz, R-Texas, all tweeted that they would oppose anything short of a full repeal of Obamacare. They also said the House bill's tax credit structure to help people pay for coverage amounted to a new entitlement.

Four other senators — Cory Gardner, R-Colo.; Lisa Murkowski, R-Alaska; Rob Portman, R-Ohio; and Shelley Moore Capito, R-W.Va. — from states that expanded Medicaid under the Affordable Care Act, were concerned about the proposal's lack of protections for expansion beneficiaries.

Sen. Susan Collins, R-Maine, who opposed previous GOP efforts to strip federal funding from Planned Parenthood, also expressed opposition to the previous version of the House bill.

Still others, like Sen. Tom Cotton, R-Ark., said it did not do enough to address rising premiums and deductibles and told the House to go back to the drawing board. "The House should continue its work on this bill," he said in a March statement. "It's more important to finally get health care reform right than to get it fast."

House Republicans' new health care bill differs from the first one they proposed because it would remove a guarantee to cover people with pre-existing conditions. Under the new plan, states would have the option to request waivers from that requirement as long as they have another coverage option, like high-risk pools, which some experts have warned will raise costs for that cohort.

None of the holdout senators have to vote on the exact wording in the House version because the Senate would most likely change the bill before its own vote. The question is whether drastic changes would be necessary to get the skeptics on board.

For the Senate to pass a version of the Obamacare replacement bill, the two chambers would likely have to reconcile differences in what's known as a conference committee. It's not clear whether House Republicans who voted for their version of the bill would sign on to changes requested by senators and vice versa — a perennial concern for any legislation that goes through conference committee.

No Senate Democrats are expected to cross the aisle and vote for a replacement health care bill, meaning Senate Republicans could afford to lose only two votes from their 52 members and still pass the bill. Vice President Mike Pence would cast a vote in the event of a tie.

Cruz, who rejected the first House bill, suggested he would be open to using the new version as a springboard in the Senate but added, "I have a number of concerns, and I think many senators do."

"If the bill does pass the House, then it will come to the Senate, and it will be incumbent on us to continue to work to make it better," he added.

A spokesperson for Portman said the senator wants to see a better transition process for changing the way Medicaid is financed and more help for those receiving treatment for opioid addiction.

Capito, who opposed the House bill's Medicaid provisions, said through a spokesperson that the new version does not address her concerns. "She will work to improve the bill if it comes over to the Senate," her spokesperson said.

Aides for the other holdout Senate Republicans have not yet returned ABC News' request for comment.

In any event, the process is not likely to be swift. Senate Majority Whip John Cornyn, the chamber's second-highest-ranking Republican, told reporters Wednesday he thought the process of reconciling the two bills could take weeks.
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.
    -Major General Smedley Butler, USMC,
    Two-Time Congressional Medal of Honor Winner
    Author of, War is a Racket!

It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours.
    - Diogenes of Sinope

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Why did Amash vote for it?

http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2017/roll256.xml
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Collins View Post
    I assume as with other major votes, he will post a full explanation on his FB age and other social media.
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.

- Diogenes of Sinope

Rand Paul on the House passed AHCA: "I think the Freedom Caucus made the bill less bad. That’s the nicest thing I could think to say”
    https://twitter.com/WCronkite

He did a brief interview right after the bill passed criticizing it, saw it live, will post the tube when available.
    Last edited by r3volution 3.0; 05-04-2017 at 01:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jllundqu View Post
    I assume as with other major votes, he will post a full explanation on his FB age and other social media.
    He doesn't even really do that any more though. :/
    Support Justin Amash for Congress
    Michigan Congressional District 3

https://twitter.com/Raul_Labrador/st...98896705961984

https://twitter.com/Raul_Labrador/st...99155364491265
    “I don’t think that there will be any curtailing of Donald Trump as president,” he said. "He controls the media, he controls the sentiment [and] he controls everybody. He’s the one who will resort to executive orders more so than [President] Obama ever used them." - Ron Paul

FWIW, FreedomWorks changed from a "key No" to "non support" after the amendments by Meadows and Upton.
    “I don’t think that there will be any curtailing of Donald Trump as president,” he said. "He controls the media, he controls the sentiment [and] he controls everybody. He’s the one who will resort to executive orders more so than [President] Obama ever used them." - Ron Paul

Quote Originally Posted by EBounding View Post
    He doesn't even really do that any more though. :/
    Yeah, he never really does unless he's getting heat. lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Question. Does anyone know if this repeals the individual mandate, or makes a new one or doesn't touch it? In other words are we still forced to buy insurance or be fined?
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Quote Originally Posted by William Tell View Post
    Question. Does anyone know if this repeals the individual mandate, or makes a new one or doesn't touch it? In other words are we still forced to buy insurance or be fined?
    That's my biggest question as well. Is there a repeal of the individual mandate? The last bill replaced the individual mandate with a 30% tax (applied by the Insurance co) if there is a break in coverage.

- Diogenes of Sinope

That's my biggest question as well. Is there a repeal of the individual mandate? The last bill replaced the individual mandate with a 30% tax (applied by the Insurance co) if there is a break in coverage.
    Yeah. Can't find anything concrete on it yet. Mixed reports of it being eliminated, reduced to zero, or replaced with the 30% thing.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

I haven't heard any of them talking about buying insurance across state lines, lately. Did that go bye bye?
    ================
    Open Borders: A Libertarian Reappraisal or why only dumbasses and cultural marxists are for it.

Cultural Marxism: The Corruption of America

The Property Basis of Rights

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	massie.png 
Views:	0 
Size:	50.0 KB 
ID:	5724
    Support Justin Amash for Congress
    Michigan Congressional District 3

Quote Originally Posted by EBounding View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	massie.png 
Views:	0 
Size:	50.0 KB 
ID:	5724
    Awesome

I'm really looking forward to spending the next 4 years agreeing with Republicans on how Great this bill is!

Its a huge improvement over Obamacare, just tremendous how much its improved
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I went and looked at his page to find an explanation for this. However, there was not a single vote explanation on his page for 2017. I'm starting to wonder if he even explains his votes anymore.

Go massie, go rand, boo amash, gonna need more then just an explanation because there isn't one.

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyFreedom View Post
    I went and looked at his page to find an explanation for this. However, there was not a single vote explanation on his page for 2017. I'm starting to wonder if he even explains his votes anymore.
    He probably only explains the important votes. Or the ones that require explanation.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

It really is interesting how the liberty crew all have their own minds when voting.

Will Massie have a target on his back for voting no?
    THE SQUAD of RPF
    1. enhanced_deficit - Paid Troll / John Bolton book promoter
    2. Devil21 - LARPing Wizard, fake magical script reader
    3. Firestarter - Tax Troll; anti-tax = "criminal behavior"
    4. TheCount - Comet Pizza Pedo Denier <-- sick

@Ehanced_Deficit's real agenda on RPF =troll:

Who spends this much time copy/pasting the same recycled links, photos/talking points.

7 yrs/25k posts later RPF'ers still respond to this troll

The Trumpcare bill did away with the mandate, the House bill however will fine those who go 60 days without health coverage. They will be penalized when they rejoin a health plan and face a 30 percent penalty on their insurance policy for one year.
    Last edited by kahless; 05-04-2017 at 04:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LibertyEagle View Post
    I haven't heard any of them talking about buying insurance across state lines, lately. Did that go bye bye?
    You would think that would be the first thing if Congress really represented the people.

Congressman Marsha Blackburn is working on the bill to let insurance across State lines.

(Sec. 205) This section repeals the penalties for individuals who are not covered by a health plan that provides at least minimum essential coverage (commonly referred to as the individual mandate). The repeal is effective for months beginning after December 31, 2015.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-...ouse-bill/1628
    Last edited by Noob; 05-04-2017 at 05:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Noob View Post
    (Sec. 205) This section repeals the penalties for individuals who are not covered by a health plan that provides at least minimum essential coverage (commonly referred to as the individual mandate). The repeal is effective for months beginning after December 31, 2015.

That is dated 03/20/2017. There were changes after that but cannot find it on that site yet. The change being reported is what is called “continuous coverage” by requiring insurers to impose a 30 percent surcharge on premiums for those who experience a gap in coverage.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Noob View Post
    Congressman Marsha Blackburn is working on the bill to let insurance across State lines.

Thanks for the link

Quote Originally Posted by kahless View Post
    That is dated 03/20/2017. There were changes after that but cannot find it on that site yet. The change being reported is what is called “continuous coverage” by requiring insurers to impose a 30 percent surcharge on premiums for those who experience a gap in coverage.
    Yeah I've heard that too. Still waiting for more info.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Quote Originally Posted by kahless View Post
    The MacArthur Freedom Caucus admendment, would allow states to decline to require insurers to offer a minimum set of benefits and provisions allowing health plans to charge people more based on their age and health status. States can also opt out of enforcing a 30 percent surcharge for people who don’t maintain insurance coverage.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/0...ections-237541

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by CPUd View Post
    FWIW, FreedomWorks changed from a "key No" to "non support" after the amendments by Meadows and Upton.
    Americans for Tax Reform gave these guys cover actually promoting the bill
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

Quote Originally Posted by LibertyEagle View Post
    According to Senate rules that provision requires 60 votes to pass the Senate.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett85 View Post
    According to Senate rules that provision requires 60 votes to pass the Senate.
    PREDICTION: They're going to avoid using the nuclear option, as an excuse for not passing reforms they don't want to pass anyway, and then let the Dems kill the filibuster next time they're in the majority (which they will do, sure as the day is long). "The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected." - Chesterton

Account Restricted. Admin to review account standing

If Trump wasn't part of the Goldman cabal, he could have pulled the FM&FM directed subsidies and watched Obamacare die a quick and painful death .

https://www.infowars.com/treasury-se...-scheme-theft/

“There is a Twitter conversation going on, and it has been going on for some time, about how President Obama needed money for Obamacare and he took from Fannie and Freddie. Is that true?” Bartiromo asked Mnuchin.

“It is true,” Mnuchin replied.

“They [the Obama administration] used the profits of Fannie and Freddie to pay for other parts of the government while they kept taxpayers at risk,” Mnuchin answered.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast