Thread: How much does it cost to start a TV channel?

Banned

Blog Entries

How much does it cost to start a TV channel?

Does anyone know how much it costs to start a basic TV channel for news/views programming?

I think online model like the TYT Youtube channel is a good sign of the future trends and probably doesn't cost massive amount of money and may even be self sufficient now from ads they are getting. But I'm wondering why there is such narrow news channels monopoly in US media and how much money it takes for fresh voices to come on air free of corporate controls.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    A $2500 camera and a $2500 computer and a person working full time can do alot. Not sure how much professional lighting costs, there may be acceptable alternatives. Greenscreen would be the next step up I'd think, or a microphone and mobile equipment for off-site coverage. It's within range but it is difficult to get footage that looks professional.

But, if you can get good footage, I beleve the online video model is the wave to ride.
    Last edited by nayjevin; 02-25-2011 at 06:24 PM.
    I'm a moderator, and I'm glad to help. But I'm an individual -- my words come from me. Any idiocy within should reflect on me, not Ron Paul, and not Ron Paul Forums.

the broadcasting part is the hard one.

the studio set up is easy, video cameras are cheaper than ever, so are computer broadcasting software.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nayjevin View Post
    A $2500 camera and a $2500 computer and a person working full time can do alot. Not sure how much professional lighting costs, there may be acceptable alternatives. Greenscreen would be the next step up I'd think, or a microphone and mobile equipment for off-site coverage. It's within range but it is difficult to get footage that looks professional.

But, if you can get good footage, I beleve the online video model is the wave to ride.
    I'm guessing these prices are for pro cameras like the ones make ever Fox news girl look "hot" LOL

But seriously, thank for the info. I'm wonder if cameras TYT and other popular YouTube channels use are that expensive or $299 type.

Some revolutinaries are running their personal YToob channels with $19.99 cameras perhaps, and it shows.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinks View Post
    the broadcasting part is the hard one.

the studio set up is easy, video cameras are cheaper than ever, so are computer broadcasting software.
    Ok, I had the opposite impression that bcasting was the easier part with advent of Youtube and like, not sure if you were referring to traditional channel BC.

I have a shopping channel that I broadcast live streaming from a large studio. I also have extra studio space and a hankering to do my own political talk show...in Reno NV. I have everything needed just waiting for the right time and more free time.......TV time is expensive so we do live webcasts.
    "Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it; no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it."
    James Madison

"It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." - Samuel Adams

Μολὼν λάβε
    Dum Spiro, Pugno
    Tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito

Quote Originally Posted by doodle View Post
    I'm guessing these prices are for pro cameras like the ones make ever Fox news girl look "hot" LOL

But seriously, thank for the info. I'm wonder if cameras TYT and other popular YouTube channels use are that expensive or $299 type.

Some revolutinaries are running their personal YToob channels with $19.99 cameras perhaps, and it shows.
    This is a similar camera to the one I was thinking of: Panasonic DVX100B -- that's the first link I found, I'm sure there's better prices. As I understand it, this is an excellent starter camera (but that comes from research, not experience.) Also this was a couple years ago I was looking - so it may be that more inexpensive cameras have caught up.

Flip does well and many normal cameras have more than acceptable video for amateur use, but if you're looking for something that will turn out professional quality to compete with the networks that DVX is an option.

Here's text from the shopping review for the DVX:

The AG-DVX100B is the most recent version of the Panasonic 24-frame standard definition video camera. When initially introduced, the AG-DVX100 (pre-A model) was the first small video camcorder to offer film-like 24-frame per second recording. High-end shoulder mount cameras offer film-speed recording, but operating these cameras requires a large production crew and oodles of money. The next model, the AG-DVX100A added more gamma correction and other cine' picture-look settings than the first model.
    The AG-DVX100B is the improved version of the "A" camera with some 20 new features like a higher resolution viewfinder, Scene Files and Time Code transfer through the FireWire cable, greater power efficiency with newly developed battery pack, more delicate zoom control and more. An all-black paint job on the new DVX-100B camera actually hides finger marks and smears and reduces reflection compared with the older silver bodied "A" model. This latest version also comes standard with Magic Bullet edit software and an instructional DVD production book. This kit comes with an Anton Bauer ElipZ battery that mounts underneath the camera for additional power. This package also includes the ElipZ charger and adapter cable, as well as a camcorder bag and mini hood.
    Last edited by nayjevin; 02-26-2011 at 10:35 AM.
    I'm a moderator, and I'm glad to help. But I'm an individual -- my words come from me. Any idiocy within should reflect on me, not Ron Paul, and not Ron Paul Forums.