Thread: Rand Paul, Ron Paul (and Gingrich) not endorsing in RNC Chair race

Rand Paul, Ron Paul (and Gingrich) not endorsing in RNC Chair race

CHARLOTTE, N.C. — Sen. Rand Paul of Kentucky and former House Speaker Newt Gingrich, two of the Republican Party’s big guns, are sticking by Republican National Committee Chairman Reince Priebus and rejecting rumors that they have joined a group trying to block Mr. Priebus from another two-year term as head of the party.
    Supporters of Mr. Priebus‘ challenger, Maine RNC member Mark Willis, have been making those claims in emails and through a whisper campaign suggesting that Mr. Paul and Mr. Gingrich have been supporting Mr. Willis behind the scenes. Mr. Willis was a supporter of the 2012 presidential campaign of Mr. Paul’s father, Rep. Ron Paul, a Texas libertarian.
    “Rand has not endorsed anyone officially and looks forward to working with Reince over the coming two years,” Doug Stafford, the younger Mr. Paul’s chief of staff said in an interview, adding that the senator “believes Reince will be handily re-elected this week.”
    Despite the party’s setback in the 2012 elections, including the defeat of presidential candidate Mitt Romney and unexpected losses for the Senate, Mr. Priebus, the former GOP state chairman in Wisconsin, has the endorsement of the top Republican leaders in Congress. He is credited with retiring the $24 million debt he inherited from his predecessor, Michael S. Steele, and with having raised enough from once-alienated major party donors to help bankroll Mr. Romney’s presidential campaign and still leave the RNC with $4 million in the bank.
    Claiming more than 150 assured votes — well over the 85 needed to win, Mr. Priebus appears ready to sail to easy victory when the 168 members of the RNC vote on the third day of their annual winter meeting in Charlotte on Friday. And the rumors of top-level defections to the opposition appear to be exaggerated.

Mr. Gingrich told The Washington Times that the “claim that I am working behind the scenes against Reince is silly.”
    Mr. Gingrich said he and wife, Callista, “have been working closely with Reince since he was Wisconsin GOP chairman.”
    Mr. Willis and his supporters have suggested that Mr. Priebus‘ decision not to solicit competitive bids from consultants who were awarded millions of dollars in contracts for the 2012 presidential elections amounted to misuse of donors’ dollars to the benefit of favored consultants. They also accuse Mr. Priebus of using the machinery and resources of the RNC itself to ensure his re-election.
    Mr. Paul distanced himself from such claims, while saying he was seeking a more inclusive and positive GOP message than Mr. Romney’s campaign delivered last year.
    “We know of no misuse of funds by the chairman and don’t believe this is where we should concentrate our time and effort,” Mr. Stafford said, speaking for his boss. “We are aiming for a stronger, more vibrant party with the right message and waging grass-roots involvement and support.”
    “There are many issues of reform and retooling for future battles needed within the RNC,” Mr. Stafford said.
    Mr. Paul’s Kentucky voter base was strongest among tea party activists and libertarian conservative backers of his father.
    While preparing for a 2016 presidential nomination run of his own, Mr. Paul has been broadening that base to include evangelical Protestant and Jewish supporters, two groups who were unfriendly toward his father.
    Trying to bounce back
    A smooth re-election for Mr. Priebus would give the party‘ machinery a welcome break from the negative headlines and internal finger-pointing that followed the November election results, and the party’s spending decisions and its get-out-the-vote infrastructure came in for heavy criticism. But first Mr. Priebus must get by his challenger.
    http://dailycaller.com/2013/01/22/ro...hairmans-race/
    Even though a Republican from the libertarian wing of the party is making a last minute bid for chairman of the Republican National Committee, former Texas congressman Ron Paul does not intend to make an endorsement in the race.

“As far as the RNC goes, he has no plans to endorse,” Megan Stiles, a Paul spokesman, told The Daily Caller on Tuesday.

Mark Willis, a RNC committeeman and former Ron Paul delegate from Maine, recently announced that he’s challenging chairman Reince Priebus for his job, and a group of ardent Paul supporters have been pushing his candidacy online.

The election for chairman is slated for Friday, during the committee’s winter meeting in Charlotte, N.C.

Willis is viewed as long shot: Sources inside the committee tell TheDC that Priebus already has commitments from nearly 150 members. There are 168 Members on the RNC, and 85 votes are needed to win.

Violet Willis, the candidate’s wife and campaign aide, told TheDC that while Paul hasn’t endorsed his candidacy, the Maine Republican has the support of the Republican Liberty Caucus.

“He is simply presenting his case to be the next chair and welcomes the endorsements of any Republican/Conservative individuals or organizations if they choose to do so,” she said in an email.

Noticeably, Paul’s son, Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul, also has not commented publicly on the race. The Kentucky lawmaker has acknowledged that he will consider running for president in 2016.

A spokeswoman for the Kentucky lawmaker did not respond to a request for comment from TheDC on Tuesday about the race.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I'm sorry to see this. I do think Willis started pretty late, and a lot of people were already committed, but I would have liked Ron in the trenches. Did anyone approach him, other than the media?
    "Integrity means having to say things that people don't want to hear & especially to say things that the regime doesn't want to hear.” -Ron Paul

"Bathtub falls and police officers kill more Americans than terrorism, yet we've been asked to sacrifice our most sacred rights for fear of falling victim to it." -Edward Snowden

Quote Originally Posted by sailingaway View Post
    I'm sorry to see this. I do think Willis started pretty late, and a lot of people were already committed, but I would have liked Ron in the trenches. Did anyone approach him, other than the media?
    I told you this was a waste of time. We dont want to tear down the party and Preibus already has the votes. We need to "make nice" with these people for the future or they will just work harder against us.

I have a different attitude towards it than you do.
    "Integrity means having to say things that people don't want to hear & especially to say things that the regime doesn't want to hear.” -Ron Paul

"Bathtub falls and police officers kill more Americans than terrorism, yet we've been asked to sacrifice our most sacred rights for fear of falling victim to it." -Edward Snowden

I have a different attitude towards it than you do.
    As do I. These defeats of liberty moves within the GOP are disheartening. The purge, Boehner and now Preibus. Looks like 2016 might well be a repeat of 2012.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    As do I. These defeats of liberty moves within the GOP are disheartening. The purge, Boehner and now Preibus. Looks like 2016 might well be a repeat of 2012.
    it's very difficult to get rid of entrenched insiders.

Focus on party primaries, particularly open ones.

We should be moving heaven and earth to finding an electable conservative in WV, a prime pickup opportunity in 2014 due to the retirement of Rockefeller than wasting our time on the RNC chair

Yeah, there are better fights to pick than RNC chair, especially when there isn't a concerted grassroots movement to unseat Reince. We need to focus on open seats.

So who is this 'Mr. Stafford' speaking for Ron? Not Brent Stafford, by any chance? 9edit -nvm, I see it says 'Doug Stafford')

I can see where if Ron sees the vote line up he might be girding for a later fight, not having been in on this one developing, but I am disappointed. I disagree with itshappening and supermario and hope Ron just has a different time line for his own fights, which is fair, since no one consulted him with this one and it was late rising. And I am interested in who is speaking for him, in any event.
    Last edited by sailingaway; 01-23-2013 at 11:07 AM.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I think it is smart for both Ron and Rand to not say anything at this point since I'm on about my tenth article about "the coupe the "Ron Paul people" are attempting by removing Preibus and installing one of their own......this is the latest attempt to hijack the GOP by Paulites....." If Willis isn't saying anything of the sort, why should Ron or Rand make a statement and validate these accusations? Well, now that I have that out of the way, I $#@!ing hate Prickbus.
    "Perfect safety is not the purpose of government." - Ron Paul

Quote Originally Posted by brushfire View Post
    "I was in the rain forest once, and it rained on me..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Carson View Post
    Ron Paul suggested a very good first step to the process of restoring sound money... It was beautiful. It left them all standing with their fiats out.
    Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    'Excuse us, we'll be leaving now. Oh, and you don't mind if we just steal this Constitution before we go? You @#$%s aren't using it anyway...'

So who is this 'Mr. Stafford' speaking for Ron?
    Stafford was speaking for Rand as his Chief of Staff. Megan Stiles was speaking for Ron. Megan is C4L's communications director.

Whoops - I read a Hill article which attributed all that Stafford stuff, or a lot of it, to RON's spokesperson. Stafford is RAND's chief of staff. So Megan Stiles is the one I have to look up. I wonder how much Ron knows about this?

--
    Megans' twitter feed and profile: @meganstiles

@C4Liberty Comms Director. Former @RonPaul 2012 Media Coordinator and @IowaGOP Comms. Director. All opinions are my own. Wahoo-wa!

https://twitter.com/meganstiles

It looks like she is one of the two new people C4L brought on recently.
    Last edited by sailingaway; 01-23-2013 at 11:14 AM.

I wish Ron would endorse.
    "Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
    —Charles Mackay

"god i fucking wanna rip his balls off and offer them to the gods"
    -Anonymous

Now we have articles in the wall street journal "Rand Paul's Revenge" and they're trying to discredit Ron Paul supporters and Rand Paul himself.

Some of you have no idea how unhelpful this is and pointless when Preibus has the votes to be chairman

Quote Originally Posted by itshappening View Post
    Now we have articles in the wall street journal "Rand Paul's Revenge" and they're trying to discredit Ron Paul supporters and Rand Paul himself.

Some of you have no idea how unhelpful this is and pointless when Preibus has the votes to be chairman
    I'm a member of the GOP. I will make my support known for whom I want and fight against those whom I don't want. I WILL express my discontent. And if anyone doesn't like it they can...

Last edited by phill4paul; 01-23-2013 at 01:05 PM.

Calling him Mr. Rand lol, I think whoever wrote this either hates Rand or thinks he's actually a blood relative of Ayn Rand, not Ron Paul, haha.

Phill, please use asterisks if no other language will do.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    I'm a member of the GOP. I will make my support known for whom I want and fight against those whom I don't want. I WILL express my discontent. And if anyone doesn't like it they can blow me.
    Be responsible as a member, don't try and tear the party down no matter how much they try and $#@! on us we will just be stronger in the long run.

The old cronies in power are not worth picking battles with when we have elections and primaries we can focus on winning.

This will help clear up confusion:
    http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...n-re-RNC-Chair!
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

Be responsible as a member, don't try and tear the party down no matter how much they try and $#@! on us we will just be stronger in the long run.

The old cronies in power are not worth picking battles with when we have elections and primaries we can focus on winning.
    Speak for yourself. People are not happy with him in charge and this is their way of expressing it. This is America you know, we are all allowed our own opinion. Or have you forgotten?

I told you this was a waste of time. We dont want to tear down the party and Preibus already has the votes. We need to "make nice" with these people for the future or they will just work harder against us.
    Oh save it with your " I told you so".

You didn't tell anybody anything. To discourage grassroots from doing what they're passionate about is the only waste of time we should be discussing.
    Last edited by eleganz; 01-23-2013 at 06:08 PM.
    THE SQUAD of RPF
    1. enhanced_deficit - Paid Troll / John Bolton book promoter
    2. Devil21 - LARPing Wizard, fake magical script reader
    3. Firestarter - Tax Troll; anti-tax = "criminal behavior"
    4. TheCount - Comet Pizza Pedo Denier <-- sick

@Ehanced_Deficit's real agenda on RPF =troll:

Who spends this much time copy/pasting the same recycled links, photos/talking points.

7 yrs/25k posts later RPF'ers still respond to this troll