Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Russian Jet Downs US Drone

Russian Jet Downs US Drone

Getting closer and closer, boys... Preparations need to be in order...

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/03/14/russ...black-sea.html

WASHINGTON — A Russian fighter jet downed a U.S. drone operating over the Black Sea on Tuesday, U.S. European Command said in a statement.

“Our MQ-9 aircraft was conducting routine operations in international airspace when it was intercepted and hit by a Russian aircraft, resulting in a crash and complete loss of the MQ-9,” said U.S. Air Force Gen. James Hecker, commander of U.S. Air Forces Europe and Air Forces Africa.

Prior to the collision, two Russian aircraft harassed the drone, he said.

“Several times before the collision, the Su-27s dumped fuel on and flew in front of the MQ-9 in a reckless, environmentally unsound and unprofessional manner,” the statement added.

The incident “demonstrates a lack of competence” by Russia, the European Command said. The U.S> called the behavior “unsafe and unprofessional,” and part of a pattern of dangerous behavior by Russian pilots.

The MQ-9 Reaper drone system is designed to collect intelligence and carry out reconnaissance missions and is manufactured by General Atomics Aeronautical Systems.

The remotely piloted system can carry a combination of Hellfire missiles, Joint Direct Attack Munitions, and Laser Joint Direct Attack Munitions.
    Last edited by CaptUSA; 03-15-2023 at 04:53 AM.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    “Several times before the collision, the Su-27s dumped fuel on and flew in front of the MQ-9 in a reckless, environmentally unsound and unprofessional manner,” the statement added
    Well someone needs their hiney spanked!

Imagine being so brainwashed that you make a comment like this in the MIDDLE OF A $#@!ING WAR?

Refusing to bring the two parties to peace negotiations? NBD. Thousands of people dead, homeless, brutally injured? It happens. But dumping fuel!? OUTRAGEOUS!

It cannot be repeated enough: we live in the stupidest age of human history, and it seems to only be getting worse. I'm tempted to go full black pill and urge on the nuclear annihilation they seem hell-bent on achieving, just to get it over with.

Quote Originally Posted by A Son of Liberty View Post
    Well someone needs their hiney spanked!

Imagine being so brainwashed that you make a comment like this in the MIDDLE OF A $#@!ING WAR?

Refusing to bring the two parties to peace negotiations? NBD. Thousands of people dead, homeless, brutally injured? It happens. But dumping fuel!? OUTRAGEOUS!
    Thanks for commenting on my behalf, I fully agree.
    "I am a bird"

Prior to the collision, two Russian aircraft harassed the drone, he said.
    They were harassing a robot? That's like accusing a person of assaulting a police officer when they panic as a police dog is gnawing their arm to the bone.

environmentally unsound
    Of course the drone is a jet carrying nobody and nothing, and accomplishing nothing but trying to spark an environmental disaster called Armageddon.

How is that professional or green?

Quote Originally Posted by RJB View Post
    They were harassing a robot?
    Some Russian just insulted the Coke machine. Let's go to war!
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    We believe our lying eyes...

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    . Let's go to war!
    This was written in satire 40 years ago. Satire isn't funny when it's reality. It always was reality, but they don't try to hide it anymore.

There's so many of us
    There's so many of us
    There's so many
    There's so many of us
    There's so many of us
    There's so many [Repeat: x2]
    Let's have a war
    So you can go and die!
    Let's have a war!
    We could all use the money!
    Let's have a war!
    We need the space!
    Let's have a war!
    Clean out this place!
    It already started in the city!
    Suburbia will be just as easy!
    There's so many of us
    There's so many of us
    There's so many
    There's so many of us
    There's so many of us
    Let's have a war!
    Jack up the Dow Jones!
    Let's have a war!
    It can start in New Jersey!
    Let's have a war!
    Blame it on the middle-class!
    Let's have a war!
    We're like rats in a cage!
    There's so many of us
    There's so many of us
    There's so many
    There's so many of us
    There's so many of us
    Let's have a war!
    Sell the rights to the networks!
    Let's have a war!
    Let our wallets get fat like last time!
    Let's have a war!
    Give guns to the *****s!
    Let's have a war!
    The enemy's within!
    There's so many of us
    There's so many of us
    There's so many
    There's so many of us
    There's so many of us
    There's so many of us
    There's so many of us
    There's so many
    There's so many of us
    There's so many of us

Was not shot down.

Russian jet hit it's propeller, knocking it down... probably by accident.

The UAV was providing Ukraine with military services in the field of war.

US has no leg to stand on here.

Cost: 56 million USD.

https://www.af.mil/About-Us/Fact-She...0/mq-9-reaper/
    "When Sombart says: "Capitalism is born from the money-loan", I should like to add to this: Capitalism actually exists only in the money-loan;" - Theodor Fritsch

The only way to hold politicians accountable is by their neck.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    But the Russians harassed it. Probably sexually. Drones have feelings to.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowball View Post
    Was not shot down.

Russian jet hit it's propeller, knocking it down... probably by accident.

The UAV was providing Ukraine with military services in the field of war.

US has no leg to stand on here.

Cost: 56 million USD.

https://www.af.mil/About-Us/Fact-She...0/mq-9-reaper/

But the Russians harassed it. Probably sexually. Drones have feelings to.
    Always amazing how quickly wikipedia is updated.

On 14 March 2023, one of two intercepting Su-27 fighters of the Russian Federation collided with an MQ-9 Reaper flying in international airspace over the Black Sea. In a statement, US Air Force Gen. James B. Hecker, commander of the United States Air Forces in Europe – Air Forces Africa, stated, "At approximately 7:03 AM (CET), one of the Russian Su-27 aircraft struck the propeller of the MQ-9, causing U.S. forces to have to bring the MQ-9 down in international waters. Several times before the collision, the Su-27s dumped fuel on and flew in front of the MQ-9 in a reckless, environmentally unsound and unprofessional manner. This incident demonstrates a lack of competence in addition to being unsafe and unprofessional."[86]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genera...cs_MQ-9_Reaper
    "When Sombart says: "Capitalism is born from the money-loan", I should like to add to this: Capitalism actually exists only in the money-loan;" - Theodor Fritsch

send the kagans to Bakhmut

Robert Kagan (/ˈkeɪɡən/; born September 26, 1958) is an American neoconservative[1] scholar, critic of U.S. foreign policy, and a leading advocate of liberal interventionism.

A co-founder of the neoconservative Project for the New American Century he is a senior fellow at the Brookings Institution

Spouse: Victoria Nuland

Fred Kagan: Both he and his father, Donald Kagan, who was a professor at Yale and a fellow at the Hudson Institute, authored While America Sleeps: Self-Delusion, Military Weakness, and the Threat to Peace Today (2000). The book argued in favor of a large increase in military spending and warned of future threats, including from a potential revival of Iraq's weapons of mass destruction program. Frederick and Robert Kagan, who is a member of the Aspen Strategy Group, and their father, Donald, were all signatories to the Project for the New American Century manifesto, Rebuilding America's Defenses (2000)

Spouse: Kimberly Ellen Kagan (born 1972) is an American military historian. She heads the Institute for the Study of War

Might be about to find out the difference between two administrations handling the same situation here:

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    This is getting silly.
    It started silly.
    T.S. Eliot's The Hollow Men

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

We Are Running Out of Time - Mini Me

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm
    I part ways with "libertarianism" when it transitions from ideology grounded in logic into self-defeating autism for the sake of ideological purity.

Its clear that US had used the drone to spy on Crimea, close to the Russian borders.

Edging US closer to a war with Russia.

Russians so crafty.. think about it.

UAV GONE. Saves Russian lives in the battlefield.

Did not shoot it down. CHECK.
    "irresponsibly" knocked it down... by plausible accident.

Brilliant!

That wasn't an act of sloppy piloting.

It was an act of advanced piloting.

Real Top Gun stuff.

But the Russians harassed it. Probably sexually. Drones have feelings too.
    Wrong pronouns.

Wrong pronouns.
    I'm sorry. General Checker should have reported how the drone identifies it/him/her/themselves.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I'm sorry. General Checker should have reported how the drone identifies it/him/her/themselves.
    IFF? Identify Female or Fagggot?

The US is saying they collided, Russia is saying they did not collide...

“As a result of sharp maneuver, the MQ-9 drone went into uncontrollable flight with a loss of altitude and crashed into water,” it said. “The Russian fighters didn’t use their weapons or impact the unmanned aerial vehicle, and they safely returned to their base.”
    https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com...t-block-1-dead
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com...t-block-1-dead
    LOL

They did a close fly-by at supersonic speed and it lost its little silicon gyroscopic mind in the sonic wash.

The old term is, they buzzed it. A close enough supersonic buzz will send a light aircraft out of control. Human pilots can generally recover.

A very difficult maneuver requiring considerable precision.
    Last edited by acptulsa; 03-14-2023 at 02:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by luctor-et-emergo View Post
    Thanks for commenting on my behalf, I fully agree.

Also, it's basically an acknowledged fact at this point that the US was responsible for that... let's call it... "minor" NG leak in the North Sea a little while back, so...

But we should definitely get Vladimir on the phone and scold him for a little diesel spilt over the Black Sea...

another link to Russian denial that any contact occurred:
    https://www.reuters.com/world/europe...ne-2023-03-14/

Any 3 things possible, without inspecting the SU, or interviewing US controllers, there is simply no way to know.

1) EM jamming on the SU
    2) Loss of control by US controllers due to operational stresses
    3) Clipped by SU

and 4) the Reaper tried to hit the SU intentionally

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    I'm not even sure the Black Sea exists these days. So much BS going around.
    “Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want and deserve to get it good and hard.”

H.L. Mencken

This was written in satire 40 years ago. Satire isn't funny when it's reality. It always was reality, but they don't try to hide it anymore.
    Hah!

I knew I knew those guys from somewhere.

Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

So many great posts.

This thread delivered.
    Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Could it have been caused by wake turbulence? Where's Danke when you need his advice?

Could it have been caused by wake turbulence? Where's Danke when you need his advice?

Not super likely. Might have helped a bit. Large aircraft in takeoff (high AoA) create more wake turbulence than fighter jets in level flight. Really close in front the engine exhaust might do some damage I imagine, but also not sure.
    "I am a bird"

Yes.

Not super likely. Might have helped a bit. Large aircraft in takeoff (high AoA) create more wake turbulence than fighter jets in level flight.
    That's true, all else being equal. That said, since the Concorde got grounded, all else isn't necessarily equal. No jetliner can go halfway near Mach 2.

That supersonic wash is much stronger.

That's true, all else being equal. That said, since the Concorde got grounded, all else isn't necessarily equal. No jetliner can go halfway near Mach 2.

That supersonic wash is much stronger.
    Story doesn't say the jet was supersonic, given that it was dumping fuel in front of the drone, I'd say it was speed matching. That also makes a collision more likely.
    "I am a bird"

Quote Originally Posted by Snowball View Post
    Was not shot down.
    Right.

MODS, please amend title to "Downs US Drone"
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

Not super likely. Might have helped a bit. Large aircraft in takeoff (high AoA) create more wake turbulence than fighter jets in level flight. Really close in front the engine exhaust might do some damage I imagine, but also not sure.
    I took 25 hours of flight lessons when I was in the Marines in a small Cessna. My instructor always cautioned me to land far behind the F/A 18s because of the wake turbulence. I was always curious how bad it could interfere with flight, but I never tested it for obvious reasons lol. I can be crazy, but not that crazy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast