Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Which countries have the most US expats?

Quote Originally Posted by Krugminator2 View Post
    You still have to pay taxes to the US government if you live in one of those third world countries.
    That's true, but that's fine.

Congress can't directly revoke Puerto Rico's tax privileges. Puerto Rico doesn't have any voting congressional reps. No taxation without representation. The backdoor way those tax incentives would get repealed by the US government is if congress made Puerto Rico the 51st state, which is a very real threat with a Dem Congress, Dem Senate, and Dem president. Puerto Rico gives Dems two Senators and a House rep.
    Color me skeptical that the USG, under severe financial duress, would play fair ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Madison320 View Post
    What's a Shifferite?
    ...a person who is of like mind with Peter Schiff, i.e. a libertarian and laissez faire person.

I was alluding to a comment of Krugminator's in another thread.

Krug's a good fellow, but he has an irrational hatred of Schiff, IMO, so I like to bust his balls.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    In many countries, you can use the value of property or a house/condo/etc toward the value of the investment. So there are housing communities which have a veneer of a "co-op real estate investment" smeared on top of them, and the price of the units are conveniently the exact value required to earn permanent residency.

I have some good candidates for that for myself.
    Interesting

Would you elaborate (though if you want to keep your cards vest-close I understand)?

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by r3volution 3.0 View Post
    Interesting

Would you elaborate (though if you want to keep your cards vest-close I understand)?
    Mauritius is the classic choice among my contenders. You don't even have to invest; you can gain permanent residency simply by transferring $18K per year to a bank based in Mauritius. You then use that money on the local economy to pay your expenses. After 3 years of this, you get a 20 year residency.

To get permanent residency immediately, it's a $350K investment... which can be the purchase of real estate. (Oh, and there was an oil spill offshore there this summer, so enjoy the fire sale real estate prices)

But actually my top choice is Bahrain.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    Mauritius is the classic choice among my contenders. You don't even have to invest; you can gain permanent residency simply by transferring $18K per year to a bank based in Mauritius. You then use that money on the local economy to pay your expenses. After 3 years of this, you get a 20 year residency.

To get permanent residency immediately, it's a $350K investment... which can be the purchase of real estate. (Oh, and there was an oil spill offshore there this summer, so enjoy the fire sale real estate prices)

But actually my top choice is Bahrain.
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to TheCount again.

Thanks, I'll have to look into that.

Quote Originally Posted by r3volution 3.0 View Post

...a person who is of like mind with Peter Schiff, i.e. a libertarian and laissez faire person.

I was alluding to a comment of Krugminator's in another thread.

Krug's a good fellow, but he has an irrational hatred of Schiff, IMO, so I like to bust his balls.
    I totally agree.

I usually agree almost exactly with Krugminator, the gigantic exception is his keynesian monetary beliefs.

I just can't figure out where that came from. It's so opposite of everything else.

And if you didn't already know I'm a big Schiff fan, to me his philosophies are almost identical to Ron Paul's, except in my opinion Schiff explains things better.

6. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Who here is legitimately serious about moving abroad?

An Agorist Primer ~ Samuel Edward Konkin III (free PDF download)

The End of All Evil ~ Jeremy Locke (free PDF download)

Quote Originally Posted by PAF View Post

I have spent time contacting realtors in PR. I just talked my realtor today in the states figuring out what updates I should do and how long it would take to sell. I have emailed a couple of expat sites and a couple of people who have moved.

I would say I am half serious. I am probably going to rip off the band aid and do it. But it is pretty big undertaking and there are an unlimited number of things that can go wrong. Puerto Rico is such a $#@!ing $#@!hole and there are so many problems I am running into that you would never experience in the states. Small things like getting a mortgage takes 60 days for approval. I have no idea how I am going to time the sale of a place in the US with the purchase and move in in PR. The application to move there costs 5k plus you need to hire a lawyer and it is taking 8 months to get approved. Finding what condos sold for is non-existent. Anywhere. You have to put a 10% good faith payment down and the sellers agent holds the money. And oh yeah, no buyers agents in Puerto Rico. Small things like figuring out how to get my Labrador retriever there safely and how to coordinate travel when I am there and shipping my car down vs selling it here and buying one there and not speaking Spanish. The list of potential headaches is infinite. That doesn't even include the earthquake they had last year and the hurricane from two years ago and those risks.
    Last edited by Krugminator2; 01-04-2021 at 09:34 PM.

I am, took two years of a secondary language to prep. Things here tie me down for now but when the time is right I'm out.

We're being governed ruled by a geriatric Alzheimer patient/puppet whose strings are being pulled by an elitist oligarchy who believe they can manage the world... imagine the utter maniacal, sociopathic hubris!

I have spent time contacting realtors in PR. I just talked my realtor today in the states figuring out what updates I should do and how long it would take to sell. I have emailed a couple of expat sites and a couple of people who have moved.

I would say I am half serious. I am probably going to rip off the band aid and do it. But it is pretty big undertaking and there are an unlimited number of things that can go wrong. Puerto Rico is such a $#@!ing $#@!hole and there are so many problems I am running into that you would never experience in the states. Small things like getting a mortgage takes 60 days for approval. I have no idea how I am going to time the sale of a place in the US with the purchase and move in in PR. The application to move there costs 5k plus you need to hire a lawyer and it is taking 8 months to get approved. Finding what condos sold for is non-existent. Anywhere. You have to put a 10% good faith payment down and the sellers agent holds the money. And oh yeah, no buyers agents in Puerto Rico. Small things like figuring out how to get my Labrador retriever there safely and how to coordinate travel when I am there and shipping my car down vs selling it here and buying one there and not speaking Spanish. The list of potential headaches is infinite. That doesn't even include the earthquake they had last year and the hurricane from two years ago and those risks.
    I plan to buy a boat outright, moor it, pay a slip fee. call it good.

We're being governed ruled by a geriatric Alzheimer patient/puppet whose strings are being pulled by an elitist oligarchy who believe they can manage the world... imagine the utter maniacal, sociopathic hubris!

I could be wrong, but it sounds like you are wanting a very lateral move (lifestyle, housing, community, etc)? What type of lifestyle are looking for exactly?

An Agorist Primer ~ Samuel Edward Konkin III (free PDF download)

The End of All Evil ~ Jeremy Locke (free PDF download)

I started the process for claiming my jure sanguinis Italian cit.
    Still waiting though. Not sure how much I will put into it.
    The problem for me is language. I really don't want to live somewhere the population isn't Anglophone.
    I'm getting too old to learn a new language now. Since I have no intention of living in the main cities,
    there will be less English-speaking natives. But, I am still considering moving abroad, even if it's not Italy.
    Another problem for me is that I strongly prefer all four seasons and that means a cold winter which is what I want.
    Canada makes things difficult, though, for us Americans. I feel resentful about that because some of my ancestors
    settled New France in the early 1600s. They came to the US at the turn-of-the-century because the US was better at the time.
    It was a much better place, words cannot describe how much better the US was compared to what we live with now and accept.

I may end up staying, but it's just another place to me. I don't feel that it's the best fit for me.
    Life in the US has really gone downhill in the areas that I care about most. It's all about the money and pressure.
    People are not enjoying their lives or their work anymore. Communities are losing their unique identities.

I suppose like many Americans, things just aren't so horrid yet that we're pushed out in droves. If that day comes
    in our lifetimes, it could be too late to leave. For those speaking at least one more major language fluently, they
    can seriously consider just picking up and leaving. That's what most of our ancestors did when their countries went bad.
    Last edited by Snowball; 01-06-2021 at 10:53 AM.

This is something I have been debating for a while. Even before SARS-2, we were beginning to see the failure of small liberty minded countries like New Zealand. It just shows how quickly a country can be overthrown if they aren't obeying the globalists. Belarus didn't obey and they're having their own color revolution. That doesn't leave much if anything. Russia is probably the closest, but definitely still has many authoritarian tendencies. They do seem to be the most stable and probably won't degrade the rights of the citizenry much more, while I think things are going to be much worse here soon. Mexico might be the only other one, but they're very unstable and things can change tommorow.

I'll never surrender . Just make my last stand right here . i spent a good part of my young life in the third world . You guys have fun . Send me a postcard .

15. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

Quote Originally Posted by Madison320 View Post
    I totally agree.

I usually agree almost exactly with Krugminator, the gigantic exception is his keynesian monetary beliefs.

I just can't figure out where that came from. It's so opposite of everything else.

And if you didn't already know I'm a big Schiff fan, to me his philosophies are almost identical to Ron Paul's, except in my opinion Schiff explains things better.
    Schiff would have been, perhaps still could be, a very good politician.

He has the rare skill of being able to explain fairly complex matters in language that the average person can understand.

I'd donate to that campaign.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123