Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Man convicted of assaulting wife's heroin supplier with baseball bat...

Man convicted of assaulting wife's heroin supplier with baseball bat...

The Just-Us system is hopeless. To hell with cops, prosecutors, judges and juries.

After watching his wife's drug-dealing cousin repeatedly supply her with heroin and begging him to stay away from their Hamilton Township house, Edwin Sobony II snapped.

On Dec. 9, 2015, Sobony grabbed an aluminum baseball bat from his garage and sent Larry Jewell to intensive care with skull fractures.

Sobony's attorney, Sam Shamansky, held the bat on Friday in a Franklin County courtroom and told jurors that he would have gone further.

"I’d pull out this bat and I’d beat him to death because that’s what he deserves," Shamansky said of the victim in a defiant closing argument.

"You come and mess with one of my family members and stick that poison in their veins ... I'm going to take pleasure in splitting your head open."

But the jurors weren't swayed by the claim that Sobony was defending himself or his wife. They deliberated for less than three hours before convicting the mail carrier of one count of felonious assault.

He could be sent to prison for a minimum of two years or a maximum of eight when he is sentenced on Nov. 2 by Common Pleas Judge Charles Schneider.

Assistant Prosecutor Lindsay Miller told the jury that she didn't like Jewell either, but that didn't make him any less of a victim.

"The laws of the state that protect each and every one of us also protect a heroin addict like him," she said in her closing argument. "You don't have to like (Jewell) to find the defendant guilty of felonious assault."

Sobony, 36, didn't testify, nor did his wife, Marie Sobony. The victim was called to the witness stand by the defense, but refused to answer questions, invoking his Fifth Amendment protection against self-incrimination.

Jewell, 46, has a record of drug offenses and a pending drug-possession charge. Detectives from the sheriff's office identified him as a drug dealer during the trial.

Sobony told detectives that he saw Jewell with a knife before the beating, but later admitted that he planted a knife at the scene.

During a series of interviews with detectives, he said Jewell frequently went to the couple's house, where they lived with their five children, to sell and do heroin with Mrs. Sobony. He said he once caught them with the drug in the bathroom of the house and that he repeatedly told Jewell to stay away.

On the day of the altercation, Sobony had stopped at a sheriff's office on Lockbourne Road asking for help. He was told that he could obtain a civil protection order against Jewell.

Instead, Miller told the jury, Sobony decided that the best approach was "to take a bat and solve the problem yourself."

Shamansky said that Sobony had run out of options and knew that his heroin-addicted wife could overdose before anyone intervened.

"How much time do you have before the next dose kills you?" he asked. "You don’t have any time."

Shamansky referred to Jewell as a "scumbag," "prick" and worse during his argument, and suggested that jurors would have done what his client did "if you had any sense of right and wrong."

After an objection from Miller, the judge told jurors, "It's not about what you would do and it's not about what Mr. Shamansky would do."
    http://www.dispatch.com/content/stor...ug-dealer.html

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    "You come and mess with one of my family members and stick that poison in their veins ... I'm going to take pleasure in splitting your head open."
    That doesn't cut it.
    Your wife is a junkie, she sticks that poison in her own veins.
    Deal with it.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

If I trusted the courts when it came to family matters, I would've kicked my junkie wife out and taken the kids and raised them on my own.

But I think a baseball bat is a proper substitute for a legitimate justice system.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sister Miriam Godwinson View Post
    We Must Dissent.

FFS... is nobody trained in the least elements of strategy anymore?

If you're going to do something like this, do it smartly and not like a dumbass.

Find him alone - VERY alone - and kill him cleanly. Problem solved. Letting the emotions run you is bad juju.

Possible scenario: he comes over after you make all up and nice with him. He gets high. As he is incapacitated, you help him get higher.

Then you leave, he dies of OD. You come back later, call 911 and the rest is plausible deniability in case anyone asks questions.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    FFS... is nobody trained in the least elements of strategy anymore?

If you're going to do something like this, do it smartly and not like a dumbass.

Find him alone - VERY alone - and kill him cleanly. Problem solved. Letting the emotions run you is bad juju.

Possible scenario: he comes over after you make all up and nice with him. He gets high. As he is incapacitated, you help him get higher.

Then you leave, he dies of OD. You come back later, call 911 and the rest is plausible deniability in case anyone asks questions.
    quite simple really
    "Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it; no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it."
    James Madison

"It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." - Samuel Adams

Μολὼν λάβε
    Dum Spiro, Pugno
    Tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito

Yes, and I'll bet you money that the judge's instructions before the jury went in to deliberate made them believe that they HAD TO find him guilty if they thought he carried out the act. They have no idea that they are the last line of defense against a bad law or overriding circumstances. And of course, it is now illegal to hand out the juror's bill of rights anywhere near a courtroom.
    ================
    Open Borders: A Libertarian Reappraisal or why only dumbasses and cultural marxists are for it.

Cultural Marxism: The Corruption of America

The Property Basis of Rights

Quote Originally Posted by LibertyEagle View Post
    Yes, and I'll bet you money that the judge's instructions before the jury went in to deliberate made them believe that they HAD TO find him guilty if they thought he carried out the act. They have no idea that they are the last line of defense against a bad law or overriding circumstances. And of course, it is now illegal to hand out the juror's bill of rights anywhere near a courtroom.
    Might have got a nullification in NH.

Sobony told detectives that he saw Jewell with a knife before the beating, but later admitted that he planted a knife at the scene.
    Well, there's where he $#@!ed up.

Forgot to go to police academy and get a job as a cop first.

Then he would have skated.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    On the day of the altercation, Sobony had stopped at a sheriff's office on Lockbourne Road asking for help. He was told that he could obtain a civil protection order against Jewell.
    Yet another monumental $#@! up.

Now, by talking to the cops, you have shown prior thought and planning in ways in which to remove this person from your life.

Nothing good comes from talking to cops.

Don't know if the resaoning was correct or correctly interpreted but I'm happy for the outcome.

Man who beat wife's heroin supplier with baseball bat gets probation

The community support for Edwin Sobony II, who was convicted of beating his wife's heroin supplier with a baseball bat, was so overwhelming that it was mentioned by the trial judge at Wednesday's sentencing hearing.

Judge Charles Schneider, who has been on the Franklin County Common Pleas bench for 12 years, often gets letters in support of defendants prior to sentencing, "but not the numbers I've received on this case," he said.

He said he also noticed that a story reporting the conviction on The Dispatch website prompted more than 400 online comments on the first day from people, "wanting to pay his legal bills, wanting to post his bond if I put him in jail ... The reaction in the community was immediate, and it's because this community has had it with drugs."

Sobony was convicted of felonious assault by a jury in September and could have been sent to prison for two to eight years. Ohio law includes a presumption of prison for the offense.

Schneider placed him on probation for two years, saying the presumption of prison was outweighed by Sobony's lack of a criminal record, little chance that he will offend again and the level of provocation that triggered the assault.

"I'm not supporting what Mr. Sobony did," the judge said. "Vigilante justice is not supported by the court. But the people in this community have just had it."
    http://www.dispatch.com/content/stor...probation.html

I don't get it.

What did this guy's wife's heroin supplier do to justify being assaulted?

Did the supplier force this guy's wife to use heroin?
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    I don't get it.

What did this guy's wife's heroin supplier do to justify being assaulted?

Did the supplier force this guy's wife to use heroin?
    He tried to sell her drugs on property that the husband told him to stay the $#@! away from. He had forewarned him, but the drug dealer decided to enter private property anyway. If I am trying to deal with an addict and a family and I tell you not to peddle drugs on my property and you ignore my threat you would get some of the same.

if they're husband and wife one would be safe to assume its her property too and she has every right to invite her dope dealer against her husbands wishes

change the commodity in the equation....

wife has habit of buying Tupperware
    husband tells the Tupperware sales lady to stay the $#@! away from his property
    wife calls Tupperware sales lady and invites her over, then buys more Tupperware

husband can therefore beat the $#@! out of Tupperware lady with aluminium bat?

methinks sub legit

but muh wife has thyroid problems caused by the bpa and pthalates in the Tupperware!

still sub legit
    Last edited by presence; 11-04-2016 at 07:17 AM.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Quote Originally Posted by presence View Post
    if they're husband and wife one would be safe to assume its her property too and she has every right to invite her dope dealer against her husbands wishes
    A husband/father acts in his wife's, and children's, best interest. At least that is what a husband/father is supposed to do. If she is addicted to heroin then she is not thinking straight and it is up to him to set matters right. It's bull$#@! like this statement that has led to the decline of the American family.

so you're saying women have no right to property?

What @phill4paul said. ^^^^

If it was reversed, then the woman has a right to get the dope dude off her property & away from her addicted husband.
    There is no spoon.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Not when they are smacked out of their mind. She is not capable of acting in the best interest of the home and the family. And if you think that her acting with mental illness does not disqualify her from having a say in what can be done on the property, and around the children, then you are a part of the problem.

Yikes. This is a hard choice to make. I see both sides.

Actually, I would say since it is joint property, then EITHER party has the right to refuse access to the property with neither being able to override.

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    If it was reversed, then the woman has a right to get the dope dude off her property & away from her addicted husband.
    What if we're just talking about pthalates addiction and thyroid cancer? GTFO else aluminum bat?

It would seem to me that if a property was co-owned by two parties, either party would have right to host guests.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    If she is addicted to heroin then she is not thinking straight and it is up to him to set matters right.
    using violence on a particular dope dealer doesn't change the fact that your wife is a junkie and will continue to seek junk from some other dope dealer

it would seem to me the correct path is to use the spoken word to help your wife reflect upon her vice
    Last edited by presence; 11-04-2016 at 07:36 AM.

What if we're just talking about pthalates addiction and thyroid cancer? GTFO else aluminum bat?
    That is not what we are talking about. Don't straw-man.

If two people completely share private property, and if one of the people doesn't want a third, non owner of the property to be there, is he able to kick him off or do they both have to agree?

Out of all the scenarios I've made in my head I can NOT BELIEVE I haven't thought of this.

I say it only takes a single property owner to kick somebody off their land. IF there is a big argument, the lands needs to be split in half, assuming it was purchased equally.

using violence on a particular dope dealer doesn't change the fact that your wife is a junkie and will continue to seek junk from some other dope dealer

it would seem to me the correct path is to use the spoken word to help your wife reflect upon her vice.

It would seem to me that if a property was co-owned by two parties, either party would have right to host guests.

If a loved one of mine had thyroid cancer, I would definitely not let anyone peddling MickeyD's junk food on my property.

And when someone has an addiction, the "spoken word" usually falls on addicted deaf ears.
    There is no spoon.

it would seem to me the correct path is to use the spoken word to help your wife reflect upon her vice
    No, it doesn't change that fact. However, it does keep a source from bringing the $#@! into the dwelling that you secure for the sake of your family. Particularly one that had been forewarned.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    That is not what we are talking about. Don't straw-man.
    Last I check we're talking about sanctioning aggressive violence to control non violent economic human action with the purpose of regulating someone else's vice.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse James View Post
    If two people completely share private property, and if one of the people doesn't want a third, non owner of the property to be there, is he able to kick him off or do they both have to agree?

Out of all the scenarios I've made in my head I can NOT BELIEVE I haven't thought of this.

I say it only takes a single property owner to kick somebody off their land. IF there is a big argument, the lands needs to be split in half, assuming it was purchased equally.
    There can't be two kings in the same castle.

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    No, but both the King or Queen should have the right to refuse access to scumbags. I see no problem with that, its partnership afterall.

Last I check we're talking about sanctioning aggressive violence to control non violent economic human action with the purpose of regulating someone else's vice.
    Post all the color font you want. There is not "non-violent economic human action" going on. The family IS affected by the activity. You seem to think that she and her vise are operating in a vacuum.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    No, but both the King or Queen should have the right to refuse access to scumbags. I see no problem with that, its partnership afterall.
    When the king-n-queen are in agreement everything is rosy....

It's when there's disagreement that hierarchy comes into play and that's why I posted as I did.

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    if
    two people voluntarily buy a house together then why not?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast