Thread: Glenn Beck ought to read this...

Exclamation Glenn Beck ought to read this...

Lots of MLK channeling going on at the rally today.

Lots of troop and mission worship as well.

Beck would do well to read this MLK speech from 1967 on the war in Viet-nam

One money quote to start out:

This call for a world-wide fellowship that lifts neighborly concern beyond one's tribe, race, class and nation is in reality a call for an all-embracing and unconditional love for all men. This oft misunderstood and misinterpreted concept -- so readily dismissed by the Nietzsches of the world as a weak and cowardly force -- has now become an absolute necessity for the survival of man. When I speak of love I am not speaking of some sentimental and weak response. I am speaking of that force which all of the great religions have seen as the supreme unifying principle of life. Love is somehow the key that unlocks the door which leads to ultimate reality. This Hindu-Moslem-Christian-Jewish-Buddhist belief about ultimate reality is beautifully summed up in the first epistle of Saint John:

Let us love one another; for love is God and everyone that loveth is born of God and knoweth God. He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love. If we love one another God dwelleth in us, and his love is perfected in us.
    And this:

This Madness Must Cease
    Somehow this madness must cease. We must stop now. I speak as a child of God and brother to the suffering poor of Vietnam. I speak for those whose land is being laid waste, whose homes are being destroyed, whose culture is being subverted. I speak for the poor of America who are paying the double price of smashed hopes at home and death and corruption in Vietnam. I speak as a citizen of the world, for the world as it stands aghast at the path we have taken. I speak as an American to the leaders of my own nation. The great initiative in this war is ours. The initiative to stop it must be ours.
    Read the whole speech here:

http://academic.udayton.edu/race/06h...rism/war01.htm
    Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Wow I never knew that MLK was such an opponent against the Vietnam War, that's pretty awesome.
    "Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break in pieces."-Étienne de La Boétie

Quote Originally Posted by Vessol View Post
    Wow I never knew that MLK was such an opponent against the Vietnam War, that's pretty awesome.
    Is it any surprise he ended up dead almost one year to the day after giving that speech?
    Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

Yea, he also became an outspoken critic of economic inequality, the state-capitalist system, etc.

That's when he got killed - when he started challenging the fundamentals.

~~~Forum Asshole & Resident Annoying Leftist~~~
    ~~Member of BAFC (Blame America First Crowd)~~

"The natural wage of labor is its product." -- Benjamin R. Tucker

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." -- Aristotle

King opposed Viet nam not because we had no vital interest being there....but because we were fighting communism - an ideal he was more than sympathetic to.

True, we should never have gone to Viet nam....but once there, we could have easily beaten the communists and saved millions of Vietnamese from being slaughtered by communists after the war.

But due to the leftist agitation of communists like King....we fought the war with hands tied and began scaling down just at the moment when victory was in sight (after we crushed the Tet offensive)

Communists like King and Cronkite cost our boys victory...and the lives of Vietnamese "boat people" and cambodians who got slaughtered.

King and his ilk got our boys killed...

King was a marxist....an adulterer posing as a "minister"...a plagiarist.....and he once called Barry Goldwater (the Ron Paul of his day) a "nazi"

What would've been a "victory" in Vietnam, sofia?

Crushing the North Vietnamese government and setting up a government such as Ngo Dinh Diem's again?

There is no "victory" in war. Only more and more death and destruction.
    "Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break in pieces."-Étienne de La Boétie

Quote Originally Posted by sofia View Post
    King opposed Viet nam not because we had no vital interest being there....but because we were fighting communism - an ideal he was more than sympathetic to.
    Um, anyone who looks at the history of Vietnam should be more sympathetic to North Vietnamese and their peasant supporters in the South than the Western-backed dictators in the South, the French, or the Americans.

You know that whole "revolution of the masses, overthrowing the oppressive ruling system" we always pretend to be agitating for (politically, or otherwise).. well they actually did that in Vietnam, but because their revolutionary aims including the reform of an economic system based on centuries of oppression they were "the bad guys."

True, we should never have gone to Viet nam....but once there, we could have easily beaten the communists and saved millions of Vietnamese from being slaughtered by communists after the war.
    I'd like to see a credible source showing that the North Vietnamese government "slaughtered" millions of people after the war, because I've heard this peddled as a fact on these forums before.

Secondly, there's no proof that we could have "easily beaten the communists." The people supported the Viet Cong, and despised the US puppet regime of the south. I know it's hard to admit, but a dedicated population seeking to end foreign occupation can go toe-to-toe with even the most technically-advanced military in the world.

But due to the leftist agitation of communists like King....we fought the war with hands tied and began scaling down just at the moment when victory was in sight (after we crushed the Tet offensive)
    Please cite a single primary source document which shows that "leftist agitation" lead to the war being fought "with hands tied." We dropped more $#@!ing bombs on that country and it's neighbors than were dropped in WWII! We burnt entire villages down, and committed all sorts of atrocities against the people. What on earth were we holding back? The indiscriminate use of nuclear weapons? I mean, we already were pumping untold millions of gallons of chemicals on the people, and carpet-bombing them on a regular basis.

Communists like King and Cronkite cost our boys victory...and the lives of Vietnamese "boat people" and cambodians who got slaughtered.

Haha, you post could easily be a parody of the most absurd set of beliefs and conclusions one might draw with respect to the Vietnam war. First of all, the death and destruction suffered by the people of Vietnam was a direct result of a barbaric campaign leveled against them by the United States at the behest of a civilian leadership convinced of the merits of US imperialism. Oh, but let's just blame it on the the truth-tellers, the people who had the balls to say that the war was an immoral and unjustified adventure.

King was a marxist....an adulterer posing as a "minister"...a plagiarist.....and he once called Barry Goldwater (the Ron Paul of his day) a "nazi"
    Oh my, a MARXIST! Have you ever even read a single thing by Marx? Of course not, but let's just keep the bogyman fear-mongering alive.

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." -- Aristotle

Funny, I thought it was our presidents that ordered our troops over there in physical proximity to the bullets that were flying that got our boys killed, not people who spoke out against it.
    Our greatest happiness does not depend on the condition of life in which chance has placed us, but is always the result of a good conscience, good health, occupation, and freedom in all just pursuits.
    --Thomas Jefferson

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Account Restricted. Admin to review account standing

What would've been a "victory" in Vietnam, sofia?

Crushing the North Vietnamese government and setting up a government such as Ngo Dinh Diem's again?

There is no "victory" in war. Only more and more death and destruction.
    a 20 year road to nowhere in which defense contractors thrived. The war should have not gone on longer than 4 years, but victory was never the intent.

Source?

Source?
    Source?
    Tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito

What a shock that "sofia" doesn't like MLK.

Account Restricted. Admin to review account standing

In 1985, Senator Barry Goldwater finally dusted off the formerly CLASSIFED ROE on the Senate Floor. The TPTB had no intention of ever winning the war. In retrospect, it was merely a globalist exercise:

http://www.themoralliberal.com/2009/...-untold-story/

Enter the “Rules of Engagement.” Co-authored by fellow internationalists and Council on Foreign Relations members Secretary of State Dean Rusk and Secretary of Defense Robert McNamara, these rules insured that we could not win and that the communists could not lose. Understandably, the rules were kept secret for 20 years. As we review the rules, you’ll see why.

It took a subpoena and a lot of arm twisting from Sen. Barry Goldwater, R-Ariz. to finally have these “rules of engagement” hauled out of the State Department’s vaults, declassified and published in the Congressional Record for all the world to see, a decade after the war was over.

The rules were startling. Here’s a sample:

* U.S. pilots were forbidden to bomb Soviet-made SAM missile sites under construction but could risk their lives firing at those same sites after they were fully operational.
    * Pilots and ground forces were commanded not to destroy communist aircraft on the ground, but wait until they were armed and dangerous in the air.
    * Truck depots 200 yards away from main roads were off-limits for American firepower; only trucks driving on the road could be blown up.
    * Pilots flying over supply ships laden with war materials on their way to North Vietnam’s Haiphong Harbor were ordered to look the other way, even though the weapons on board would soon be used to kill American boys.
    * Throughout the war, returning troops told of being ordered not to shoot until shot at, not to attack the enemy’s “safe” areas [another U.N.-styled war oddity], and not to hold terrain that had been won at considerable cost in lives and labor. 9
    * And there was the incredible on-again, off-again policy of ammunition “quotas,” which halted attacks and reversed victories when an elusive daily quota had been met, while paradoxically on other days the policy was abandoned for the equally ridiculous order to fire vast quantities of ammunition at “undefined targets.”

Quite a series of “misjudgments”! The commander in chief, Lyndon B. Johnson, wasn’t content, though, he insisted on one more big mistake: With one stroke of the pen, he single-handedly reversed U.S. trade policy, authorizing the wartime sale of U.S. “non-military” hardware to the East European communist-bloc nations. These nations taking this for what it was: ‘a go-ahead-and-do-as-you-please nod’ converted the same into military hardware and shipped it to North Vietnam 10 where these made-in-the-USA weapons killed American boys. What goes around comes around.

No wonder, then, that Congressman H.R. Gross, R-Iowa, summed up these “mistakes” as “a betrayal to international politics and intrigue.” 11 For it was.
    Last edited by AuH20; 08-28-2010 at 08:07 PM.

OH, and by the Freaking way, it's funny how you say that we needed a nice millitary victory in Vietnam, but then your Signature rails against the "true culprits" in 9/11 and how that led to an unnecessary war.

So if its IMAGINARY ENGINEERED COMMUNISTS then it's ok to kill 50,000 american troops and maim 4x that many, but if it's IMAGINARY ENGINEERED TERRORISTS in a cave overseas, it's bad and we should not have fired a single bullet.

I'm sorry, I'm angry about something else, but I'm blowing you out of the water with this one. SHAME ON YOU for your ignorance.

HOw in the holy hell did Walter Cronkite get our troops killed? By reporting on the true situation in Vietnam? By talking about how our glorious Goverment's plan of purposeful stagnation in not letting them advance north to finish the job? How about the False Flag Attack in the Gulf of Tonkin, that really didnt happen, but the CIA said it did, that took us to war in the first place, did that not get our "boys" killed?

I know thinking and breathing are hard for you to do at the same time, but in the future, you may try it before spouting out such blatant co-intel-pro propaganda in a liberty minded forum.
    Our greatest happiness does not depend on the condition of life in which chance has placed us, but is always the result of a good conscience, good health, occupation, and freedom in all just pursuits.
    --Thomas Jefferson

Some insight that Americans do not understand about Vietnam.
    http://www.vspa.com/k9/ho_chi_minh.htm
    Don't taze me bro. Don't touch my junk. Don't tread on me.

Maybe you need a friend not into politics... http://saveadogrescue.com/ http://www.petfinder.com/pet-search?shelter_id=TX1472

Why wouldn't King oppose the war? A disproportionate number of soldiers fighting in Vietnam were poor young blacks who were drafted.

Quote Originally Posted by james1906 View Post
    Thanks for the link; an insightful read.

In my view, history rarely can be classified into stark categories of "good" and "bad." I view the American revolutionaries, or, most specifically, the leaders of that revolution - the founding fathers - in much the same way that I view the leaders of people's movements and leftist revolutions throughout the twentieth century. Products of their time and era, they undertook the task of social, political (and thus economic) reorganization with a large measure of influence from the desire to ensure that the new society would be better than the last. This much, in my view, is admirable.

Like the pro-American/French cooperators who were persecuted by the North Vietnamese upon their victory over the South's government, the American revolutionaries tarred and feathered, killed, and confiscated the property of loyalists. Social revolution is never a pretty thing, and there are aspects of all revolutions which can be rightfully condemned or critiqued.

But seen from another light, a revolution is but the necessary consequence of prior systems of oppression - that the moral responsibility for the persecution of loyalists and pro-western/capitalists lay just as well with the system which provoked the inevitable backlash of revolution as did those aspects of the revolution which carried out the misdeeds. This is not to say that those who, in their reaction to oppressive systems deserve complete moral amnesty for their behavior, but that equal or significant blame must be laid to rest on the shoulders of a system which produced the result.

The fact that Ho Chi Minh's legacy is a source of much dispute is unsurprising. One thing I can say with some degree of certainty, however, is that the mission of Ho was more just than that of his western adversaries.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by james1906 View Post
    Good read, thank you.

Beck’s healing message also included numerous citations of the late Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., who gave his famous “I Have a Dream” speech at the site 47 years ago to the day. Dr. Alveda King, a niece of the civil-rights activist, was a featured speaker. Palin, the former governor of Alaska, also addressed King’s legacy. “You have the same steel spine and moral courage as Washington and Lincoln and Martin Luther King,” she told the crowd. “It will sustain you, as it sustained them.”

According to Beck, the event raised over $5.5 million for the Special Operations Warrior Foundation, a charity that supports veterans. Patriotic tributes to the men and women of the American military were frequent. Palin, who son Track currently serves abroad, said that she had “been asked to speak as the mother of a soldier and I am proud of that distinction.” She then told her critics: “Say what you want to say about me, but I raised a combat vet and you can’t take that away from me.”

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner...l-robert-costa