Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Elections Do Matter

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    The EC should probably have regular elections every so often to keep them honest but it should be more like every 6-10 years unless they are recalled by their state's voters. (or just wait for a recall)
    Should they be under term limits?
    +
    'These things I command you, that you love one another.' - Jesus Christ

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by TER View Post
    Should they be under term limits?
    No, I don't believe in term limits, the swamp has a much easier time finding new people than we do.

I'm creating a new thread for this discussion so we don't hijack AF's thread, I'll mention you there.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by TER View Post
    Not sure! I’m trying to figure it out myself! Lol

What do you think would work best?
    The Articles of Confederation, where the central government would be so weak, that there would be no need for federal king, like the Anti Feds warned about.

Outside of collective defense, leave everything else to the states.
    Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    The Articles of Confederation, where the central government would be so weak, that there would be no need for federal king, like the Anti Feds warned about.

Outside of collective defense, leave everything else to the states.
    I think something in between the AoC and the Constitution would be best, I think the AoC was made too weak on purpose in order to set up the push for the Constitution.
    We also needed the BoR and it always should have applied to the states.

If you want to discuss the alternate form of government either for the weakened Federal government or for the individual states I have started a thread for it:

A new system of government

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

I'm of two minds. On the one hand, as bad as the GOP are, they are nothing compared to the Democrats. On the other hand, mid 20th Century, Buckleyite, National Review-style conservatism needs to die, and the GOP might need to be sacrificed in order for that to happen.
    NeoReactionary. American High Tory.

The counter-revolution will not be televised.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan View Post
    +rep votes are powerful tools. I think it was gandhi that said, "vote for the change that you want to see in the world"
    Actually the quote was, "You must be the change you wish to see in the world."

The word vote for never mentioned.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

He’s just one man – and he’s done more to undermine/puncture some of the worst orthodoxies that have enabled some of the most loathsome tyrannies than any other president since Taft or Coolidge.

I support Orange Man.

Give him four more years!
    Four more years, like the prior 4? Then what?

Gulag Chief:
    "Article 58-1a, twenty five years... What did you get it for?"
    Gulag Prisoner: "For nothing at all."
    Gulag Chief: "You're lying... The sentence for nothing at all is 10 years"

Quote Originally Posted by brushfire View Post
    Another Omnibus?

Another "emergency" spending bill?

A toast, once ratified, to the USMCA that he signed at the signing ceremony?

More protectionism, infrastructure and MIC contracts with TSA, DHS, et al....?

Lawsuits, taking private property and contract rights away from hard working people and businesses?

An even BIGGER national debt?

Tweets and bones to keep them coming for more?

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...gainst-Liberty

An Agorist Primer ~ Samuel Edward Konkin III (free PDF download)

The End of All Evil ~ Jeremy Locke (free PDF download)

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Globalist View Post
    Actually the quote was, "You must be the change you wish to see in the world."

The word vote for never mentioned.
    You have your facts wrong. I can see why you think that, but the original quote was about voting. 99% sure.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by PAF View Post
    Another Omnibus?

Another "emergency" spending bill?

A toast, once ratified, to the USMCA that he signed at the signing ceremony?

More protectionism, infrastructure and MIC contracts with TSA, DHS, et al....?

Lawsuits, taking private property and contract rights away from hard working people and businesses?

An even BIGGER national debt?

Tweets and bones to keep them coming for more?

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...gainst-Liberty

Any token changes made by the prior administration will be countered by new ones. Any power grabs made by the prior administration will be exploited by the next through political manipulation by the established shell government.

Meanwhile, the pursuit of lesser evils will continue, by the willfully ignorant electorate. Partisan bases will be energized through WWE/WWF political theater, and we'll continue the two party punch and judy routine - changing the roles now and then to keep people (and the msm) engaged. Casual voters will vote for their perceived king, and then go back to complaining for the next 4 years, about how the other party is stopping them, from MAGA or Hope and Change, while their local and state governments a$$rape them blind.

The redeeming promise being that only an electable politician will be elected. 'Cause only electable politicians ever win. Gotta go check the polls, be right back.

Gulag Chief:
    "Article 58-1a, twenty five years... What did you get it for?"
    Gulag Prisoner: "For nothing at all."
    Gulag Chief: "You're lying... The sentence for nothing at all is 10 years"

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    I'm still voting for the boot! VERMIN SUPREME 2020!!!
    Yep. I still don't have a Pony so Trump is a fail.
    The wisdom of Swordy:

On bringing the troops home
    They are coming home, all the naysayers said they would never leave Syria and then they said they were going to stay in Iraq forever.

It won't take very long to get them home but it won't be overnight either but Iraq says they can't stay and they are coming home just like Trump said.

On fighting corruption:
    Trump had to donate the "right way" and hang out with the "right people" in order to do business in NYC and Hollyweird and in order to investigate and expose them.
    Fascism Defined

Quote Originally Posted by brushfire View Post
    Who knows?

A leftist so bad that maybe "our" side starts pushing back with the vigor and intensity our enemies are right now?

Blessed dissolution and separation?

Partisan bases will be energized through WWE/WWF political theater
    That is the point Eric is trying to make: rolling back the CAFE standards is not "theater".

It's a very real step in the right direction. One that, if not taken, would have spelled the end of ICE vehicles by 2025.
    Last edited by Anti Federalist; 07-15-2019 at 10:19 AM.
    Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

Quote Originally Posted by ThePaleoLibertarian View Post
    I'm of two minds. On the one hand, as bad as the GOP are, they are nothing compared to the Democrats. On the other hand, mid 20th Century, Buckleyite, National Review-style conservatism needs to die, and the GOP might need to be sacrificed in order for that to happen.
    I'm all for the death of both parties but we need to prioritize the one that has gone full commietard.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

///

Elections Do Matter

https://www.ericpetersautos.com/2019...ons-do-matter/

By eric - July 14, 2019

Donald Trump isn’t a Libertarian – but he is the guy who just rescinded the fatwa imposed by his extremely un-Libertarian predecessor that would have almost tripled the fines imposed on car companies that didn’t “achieve compliance” with federal fuel economy mandatory minimums.

This is no small thing – because of the other fatwa, still in place. The one which decrees a near-doubling of the average mileage new cars will be required to achieve over the course of the next six years.

Orange Man is working on that one.

Regardless, he just saved you a lot of money – and may just have saved the car industry, too.

At least, for the moment.

The fines rescinded were the billy stick used to enforce federal Corporate Average Fuel Economy (CAFE) regs. These regs stipulate an arbitrary “fleet average” mileage number every car company’s model lineup must meet.

This arbitrarily decreed number – arbitrary because it’s just “decided” upon by federal bureaucrats, at their whim, based upon what they – in their infinite wisdom – consider to be “achievable,” no matter what it costs – has been steadily rising since the late ‘70s, from around 22 miles-per-gallon to the current 30-something miles-per-gallon.

Over the past 30-something years, cars have become more “efficient” as a result of this gradual ratcheting-up of CAFE requirements. They have also become progressively more expensive with each ratcheting up – since it takes technology to “achieve compliance” while also maintaining the attributes car buyers expect, such as the physical size of the vehicle as well as its power/performance/capability.

It is hard to get a car to average 30-something MPG while also being not small and able to get to 60 MPH in less than 8 seconds (most buyers won’t buy a car that can’t do this).

Or carry a family – as opposed to a single driver and perhaps one passenger. And have the power to pull a trailer.

Etc.

People do value gas mileage. Just not gas mileage uber alles – as the un-Libertarians in government insists they do.

If they did value it uber alles, the car companies would not need to be forced – by punishing fines – to build such cars. They would respond to . . . the market for such cars.

The problem – from the point-of-view of the un-Libertarians in government – is that there is a market for other cars. Which the government is trying to stifle, via fines that punish the market for daring to express preferences which differ from the demands of the un-Libertarians in government.

The fines are currently set at $5.50 for every 0.1 MPG below the current arbitrarily-decreed “fleet average” of 30-something MPG.

They were about to almost tripled to $14 for the same “crime” – i.e., manufacturing cars that met the requirements of car buyers rather than “achieved compliance” with government gas mileage fatwas.

This is as un-Libertarian as it gets.

It’s also the billy stick that would have given the other fatwa – the near-doubling of the arbitrarily decreed mandatory minimum “fleet average” from 30-something to 50-something MPG that Orange Man is still trying to rescind – skull-crushing power.

To understand why one must first know that there are only two cars on the market that “achieve compliance” with the doubled-down 50-something MPG fatwa. They are compact-sized hybrids like the Toyota Prius Prime and Hyundai Ioniq – both of which just barely “achieve compliance” (they average 54 MPG).

Put another way: Every single non-hybrid car – and all trucks, SUVs and crossovers – currently on the market does not “achieve compliance” with the doubled-down fatwa hurled by the Orange Man’s extremely un-Libertarian predecessor.

Had OM not rescinded the near-tripling of fines to be imposed for failure to “achieve compliance” with the doubled-down MPG fatwa, it would have meant either a massive increase in the cost to buy every non-compliant model still around a couple of years from now amounting to at least several hundred dollars per vehicle and as much as several thousand dollars per vehicle – in the case of vehicles like trucks and SUVs which cannot “achieve compliance” with a 50-something MPG mandatory minimum unless the laws of thermodynamics can be rescinded . . .

Or the wholesale cancellation of every single non-hybrid car currently on the market – because with hundreds or thousands of dollars in fines added to their sticker price, they would simply be too expensive for most people to afford.

Which is exactly what was intended by the first fatwa.

The un-Libertarians in Washington cannot stand it that the hoi polloi – that’s you and I – decline to buy tiny, underpowered cars like the Prius and its ilk and instead choose to buy larger, stronger vehicles that suit our preferences.

It is not enough for these un-Libertarians that “efficient” cars like the Prius and other small, underpowered hybrids are available – for those who prefer them.

They insist we prefer them, too. And if we don’t we are to be persuaded – via punishment applied to the car makers, who in turn punish us with higher cost and fewer choices.

But the Orange Man has just thrown a sabot in their machinery – and that was a very Libertarian thing. He has taken away the billy stick which would have given the other fatwa its skull-crushing power.

Even if he doesn’t succeed in rescinding the 50-something MPG fatwa, he has already managed to emasculate it.

The un-Libertarians can decree that new cars must average 50-something MPG. But without the tripling of fines for those that don’t “achieve compliance,” it will still be feasible for the car industry to continue building such cars.

Which means they will still be available for us to buy – at prices we can still afford.

Elections matter.

The next one may matter most of all.
    🙏👌👍

Well we're certainly in a situation where an election does matter. If Biden gets to be president, he'll erase all the good/decent things Trump did.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Well we're certainly in a situation where an election does matter. If Biden gets to be president, he'll erase all the good/decent things Trump did.
    I reckon we'll be rejoining the World Worthless Health Organization on day one.
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    This is getting silly.
    It started silly.
    T.S. Eliot's The Hollow Men

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

We Are Running Out of Time - Mini Me

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm
    I part ways with "libertarianism" when it transitions from ideology grounded in logic into self-defeating autism for the sake of ideological purity.

.DON'T TAX ME BRO!!!

"It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brush fires of freedom in the minds of men." -- Samuel Adams (1722-1803)

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12