Thread: Google is getting creepy

Google is getting creepy

Me and some buddies went camping a few weeks ago.

The first evening, we were sitting around drinking beer and my friend asks me to play Chris Stapleton on Spotify on MY phone... After giving him some crap, I do so.

The next morning, my friend gets a Google alert on HIS phone about Chris Stapleton.

The last day, we wake up, cook some breakfast and talk about what time we'll be departing. About 20 minutes prior to our agreed upon departure time, my friend gets a Google alert on his phone that pops up a Google map showing his route home and how long its going to take.

I'm done with Google and Android... I've moved over to startpage.com for search and I'm going to have to figure out what my next phone is going to be, but android it will not.

Evil, creepy bastards, they were listening.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    We've got Big Brother right in our pockets.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    We've got Big Brother right in our pockets.
    And everyone I've told this story is "outraged" and then changes the topic to football, baseball, shooter, insert own topic and moves on.
    “…I believe that at this point in history, the greatest danger to our freedom and way of life comes from the reasonable fear of omniscient State powers kept in check by nothing more than policy documents.”

This is exactly how corporations turn individual free thinking human beings into consumers. Hand feeding them information that suits corporate user identities until it completely displaces the self identity into oblivion and people accept their illusion of choice as just fine.
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

It's almost like they read our thoughts. Makes me want to get out my tinfoil hat.

Seriously.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

Quote Originally Posted by DamianTV View Post
    This is exactly how corporations turn individual free thinking human beings into consumers. .
    Wondering what you do for a living that doesn't require consumers.

The basis of capitalism is giving people things that they want. I only have a smart cell phone because I need it to process credit cards at the store. I don't want this technology in my pocket and I rarely carry the phone.

But I'm certainly not arrogant enough to assume that the privacy / convenience trade off isn't a price some people are absolutely content to pay.

Quote Originally Posted by DGambler View Post

The first evening, we were sitting around drinking beer and my friend asks me to play Chris Stapleton on Spotify on MY phone... After giving him some crap, I do so.

The next morning, my friend gets a Google alert on HIS phone about Chris Stapleton.

The last day, we wake up, cook some breakfast and talk about what time we'll be departing. About 20 minutes prior to our agreed upon departure time, my friend gets a Google alert on his phone that pops up a Google map showing his route home and how long its going to take.

I'm done with Google and Android... I've moved over to startpage.com for search and I'm going to have to figure out what my next phone is going to be, but android it will not.

Yah I do not use any of that . I have a phone that makes calls and I can take the battery out of it at any time.

Supporting Member
    North Carolina

Consider getting a phone with an unlocked bootloader and flash something like LineageOS without Google apps.

Or consider donating to this project if you believe in it.

https://puri.sm/shop/librem-5/
    Equality is a false god.

Armatissimi e Liberissimi

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    If you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to fear.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan View Post
    If you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to fear.
    Exactly! Now, spread your cheeks.

Quote Originally Posted by DGambler View Post

Are you aware of Alt-Tech and Stallman's Free/Open software movement? Get involved and start using alternatives. Right now people are crowd-funding a Linux "free software pro-privacy" phone by Purism which is going to be a nice alternative to Google & Apple. Before that you can do simple things like use Brave browser (on phone & PC) and always search with DuckDuckGo.

I prefer startpage.com over duck duck go.

Yes, I'd love a Linux phone, would take that route in a heartbeat... I $#@!ing hate Google now and am finally getting ready to get rid of my Gmail account as well.
    “…I believe that at this point in history, the greatest danger to our freedom and way of life comes from the reasonable fear of omniscient State powers kept in check by nothing more than policy documents.”