Thread: Netflix Fires PR Chief After Use of N-Word in Meeting

Netflix Fires PR Chief After Use of N-Word in Meeting

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...etflix-1122675

JUNE 22, 2018

In lengthy internal memo, CEO Reed Hastings addressed letting go top communications executive Jonathan Friedland: "His descriptive use of the N-word on at least two occasions at work showed unacceptably low racial awareness and sensitivity."

Netflix is letting go of its top communications spokesman.

Jonathan Friedland, who's served as the streaming giant's chief communications officer for the past six years, is out at the company after "insensitive" remarks he made to his team. Sources say that Friedland used the N-word in a meeting with other Netflix staffers, some of whom later reported the incident. Per insiders, Netflix CEO Reed Hastings sent a company-wide email explaining Friedland's firing around 12:45 p.m. PT on Friday (see below for the full memo.)

Friedland, a former Disney executive, first joined Netflix in February 2011 as vp global corporate communications, and was promoted to the top comms role the following year. A replacement for Friedland has yet to be named.

"I’m leaving Netflix after seven years," said Friedland in a statement to The Hollwood Reporter. "Leaders have to be beyond reproach in the example we set and unfortunately I fell short of that standard when I was insensitive in speaking to my team about words that offend in comedy. I feel awful about the distress this lapse caused to people at a company I love and where I want everyone to feel included and appreciated. I feel honored to have built a brilliant and diverse global team and to have been part of this collective adventure in building the world’s leading entertainment service."

In his post, Friedland oversaw media and content publicity for the streamer's original series, films and specials in 190 countries around the world. In addition to previously serving as senior vp corporate communications at The Walt Disney Co., Friedland was also formerly a foreign correspondent and editor for The Wall Street Journal and Far Eastern Economic Review.

The shake-up comes as Netflix, led by Hastings, ended the first quarter with 125 million subscribers worldwide, with expectations to add 6.2 million in the second quarter. Just last week, the company's shares closed 3 percet higher to a new record of $404.98, even as the broader markets fell. The platform has been increasingly pushing into international territories and expanding its roster of originals to include more unscripted content of late.

Here's the full memo Hastings sent out to Netflix employees about Friedland's firing.

All:

I’ve made a decision to let go of Jonathan Friedland. Jonathan contributed greatly in many areas, but his descriptive use of the N-word on at least two occasions at work showed unacceptably low racial awareness and sensitivity, and is not in line with our values as a company.

The first incident was several months ago in a PR meeting about sensitive words. Several people afterwards told him how inappropriate and hurtful his use of the N-word was, and Jonathan apologised to those that had been in the meeting. We hoped this was an awful anomaly never to be repeated.

Three months later he spoke to a meeting of our Black Employees @ Netflix group and did not bring it up, which was understood by many in the meeting to mean he didn’t care and didn’t accept accountability for his words.

The second incident, which I only heard about this week, was a few days after the first incident; this time Jonathan said the N-word again to two of our Black employees in HR who were trying to help him deal with the original offense. The second incident confirmed a deep lack of understanding, and convinced me to let Jonathan go now.

As I reflect on this, at this first incident, I should have done more to use it as a learning moment for everyone at Netflix about how painful and ugly that word is, and that it should not be used. I realize that my privilege has made me intellectualize or otherwise minimize race issues like this. I need to set a better example by learning and listening more so I can be the leader we need.

Depending on where you live or grew up in the world, understanding and sensitivities around the history and use of the N-word can vary. Debate on the use of the word is active around the world (example) as the use of it in popular media like music and film have created some confusion as to whether or not there is ever a time when the use of the N-word is acceptable. For non-Black people, the word should not be spoken as there is almost no context in which it is appropriate or constructive (even when singing a song or reading a script). There is not a way to neutralize the emotion and history behind the word in any context. The use of the phrase “N-word” was created as a euphemism, and the norm, with the intention of providing an acceptable replacement and moving people away from using the specific word. When a person violates this norm, it creates resentment, intense frustration, and great offense for many. Our show Dear White People covers some of this ground.

Going forward, we are going to find ways to educate and help our employees broadly understand the many difficult ways that race, nationality, gender identity and privilege play out in society and our organization. We seek to be great at inclusion, across many dimensions, and these incidents show we are uneven at best. We have already started to engage outside experts to help us learn faster.

Jonathan has been a great contributor and he built a diverse global team creating awareness for Netflix, strengthening our reputation around the world, and helping make us into the successful company we are today. Many of us have worked closely with Jonathan for a long time, and have mixed emotions. Unfortunately, his lack of judgment in this area was too big for him to remain. We care deeply about our employees feeling safe and supported at Netflix.

Much of this information will be in the press shortly. But any detail not in the press is confidential to employees.

-Reed

Friendland also tweeted about his exit on Friday:

He later tweeted out, "Thanks. Rise high, fall fast. All on a couple of words...." and then quickly deleted it. THR obtained a screenshot of the tweet before it was removed.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    He was re-tweeting Kamala Harris:

Netflix creates new executive position focused on inclusion and diversity

http://www.latimes.com/business/holl...829-story.html

AUG 29, 2018

Vernā Myers has been named to fill the newly created role of vice president for inclusion strategy at Netflix. (Laurie Bell Bishop)

Netflix is creating a new executive position that will focus on inclusion and diversity among employees of the streaming entertainment giant.

Vernā Myers has been appointed to the newly created role of vice president for inclusion strategy, Netflix announced Wednesday. The company said Myers will help devise and implement strategies that integrate cultural diversity, inclusion and equity into all aspects of Netflix’s operations worldwide.

Prior to joining Netflix, Myers worked as a consultant at the Vernā Myers Co., where she advised corporations and organizations on issues including race, ethnicity, gender and sexual orientation.

Her appointment comes two months after Netflix fired its chief communications officer after he used a racial slur on at least two occasions in the workplace. Jonathan Friedland, who had served as Netflix’s top spokesperson for the past seven years, acknowledged that he had spoken in an “insensitive” way.

“Leaders have to be beyond reproach in the example we set and unfortunately I fell short of that standard when I was insensitive in speaking to my team about words that offend in comedy,” he wrote on Twitter in June.

Earlier this week, Los Gatos, Calif.-based Netflix named Rachel Whetstone — a veteran of Facebook, Uber and Google — to succeed Friedland as chief communications officer.

Diversity executives have become increasingly common at major corporations. Silicon Valley in particular has become the focus of media scrutiny for what some workers have described as a lack of gender and racial diversity at technology and internet companies.

Myers has previously consulted for Netflix, the company said. “Having worked closely with Vernā as a consultant on a range of organizational issues, we are thrilled that she has agreed to bring her talents to this new and important role,” said Jessica Neal, Netflix’s chief talent officer.

Myers said in a statement that she has long been a fan of Netflix’s programming and talent.

“Then I got a chance to meet the people behind the screen. I was so impressed by their mission, their excellence, and decision to take their inclusion and diversity efforts to a higher level.”

Lol. Good luck on that. Many big companies have done this, and it always results in problems. These groups will be political lobbyists, attempting to shove leftism down everyone’s throat at every turn. They will attack other employees. They will work to “politically cleanse” the company, and then get the company itself to start taking leftist political positions.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Damn, there is a lot of stupid crackers out there....
    I have seen through it all... the system is against us. ALL OF IT.

I was insensitive in speaking to my team about words that offend in comedy.

lol...

Joe Rogan was right.. (1:10)

See, even explaining that is a dangerous word to say and sayin the word, everybody's like 'Ohhh this could start some $#@!!!"
    Last edited by dannno; 09-20-2018 at 12:17 PM.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

A company fires a public relations guy for being bad at public relations...

Shocking

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by r3volution 3.0 View Post
    A company fires a public relations guy for being bad at public relations...

Shocking
    Speaking plain English without censor is good public relations.

$#@! the protected classes!

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Speaking plain English without censor is good public relations.

$#@! the protected classes!
    Most people find it ill-mannered to go around calling people *******: this having nothing at all to do with politics.

Likewise with walking around calling people fatties, ugos, gimps, dumbasses, etc.

Since the company's job is to make money, it makes good sense that they wouldn't want to be associated with that.

Now, if it were a basement-dwelling programmer saying this, who cares; but the head of PR's whole job is to represent the company to the public.

In short, I can't imagine how this move would surprise or bother anybody.

...some people are a little too easily triggered, it seems.

Most people find it ill-mannered to go around calling people *******: this having nothing at all to do with politics.

Likewise with walking around calling people fatties, ugos, gimps, dumbasses, etc.

Since the company's job is to make money, it makes good sense that they wouldn't want to be associated with that.

Now, if it were a basement-dwelling programmer saying this, who cares; but the head of PR's whole job is to represent the company to the public.

You didn't read the story, and you must have skipped my post.

He didn't call anybody the n-word. He got in trouble for explaining that the word is offensive.

I'm sure he is a fine PR guy, it's a portion of leftists who are completely insane.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

The common language of a few years back is now cause to fire someone..

This is wrong on many fronts.

What term used today will get you ostracized tomorrow?

How do you know which group will be protected next?

Good sense is not patronizing companies that bow to political correctness..

Talking to someone is different than talking about them or even a group.

I’ve made a decision to let go of Jonathan Friedland. Jonathan contributed greatly in many areas, but his descriptive use of the N-word on at least two occasions at work showed unacceptably low racial awareness and sensitivity, and is not in line with our values as a company.
    No mention of context, mere use of a word denotes "unacceptably low racial awareness and sensitivity" which is not a trait I even recognize.

These people are nuts!

And those who egg them on, even tacitly, are nuts too.

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    You didn't read the story, and you must have skipped my post.

He didn't call anybody the n-word. He got in trouble for explaining that the word is offensive.

I'm sure he is a fine PR guy, it's a portion of leftists who are completely insane.
    I read the headline (which is rather misleading), and skipped your post entirely.

So, yes, I stand corrected as to the context.

That said, I can still understand the company's reasoning in firing him, given that this was the top PR guy.

I suppose my overarching point is that Netflix almost certainly made a business decision here, not a political one.

Despite sometimes trying to appear to care about political/cultural issues, companies very rarely do, and rightly so.

I suppose my overarching point is that Netflix almost certainly made a business decision here, not a political one.
    Maybe you post less and read more?

Obama in Talks to Provide Shows for Netflix http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...ws-for-Netflix

The common language of a few years back is now cause to fire someone..
    Evidently

This is wrong on many fronts.
    Not according to the owners of Netflix, whose opinions are the only ones that matter in the company's firing decisions.

Good sense is not patronizing companies that bow to political correctness..
    You can do what you like.

Not according to the owners of Netflix, whose opinions are the only ones that matter in the company's firing decisions.
    Give morons the power to destroy the country.

Apple, Google, Twitter, Facebook Sued for Leftist Bias and Conservative Censorship

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...ive-Censorship

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Fire the guy for being a cop, fire him 'cause he's not worth paying, fire him 'cause he's a piece of $#@! but don't fire him for what he said about a protected class....

Phil Murphy demands sheriff resign after alleged racist remarks

https://nypost.com/2018/09/20/phil-m...acist-remarks/

A New Jersey sheriff was reportedly caught on tape making racist statements about black people and state Attorney General Gurbir Grewal, who is Sikh — and now Gov. Phil Murphy is calling for his resignation.

“Without question, the comments made on that recording are appalling, and anyone using racist, homophobic, and hateful language is unfit for public office,” Murphy said in a statement Thursday to WNYC.

“If indeed that is Sheriff Saudino’s voice on the recording, he must resign.”

The tape in question was recorded on Jan. 16 after Murphy’s gubernatorial inauguration.

According to WNYC, Bergen County Sheriff Michael Saudino can be heard making incendiary comments to his colleagues about the governor’s speech.

“He talked about the whole thing — the marijuana, sanctuary state … better criminal justice reform. Christ almighty, in other words let the blacks come in, do whatever the f–k they want, smoke their marijuana, do this do that, and don’t worry about it,” Saudino reportedly seethed. “You know, we’ll tie the hands of cops.”

Describing why he thought Murphy appointed state AG Grewal, Saudino said: “He didn’t do that to help Bergen County he did that because of the turban.”

The recording was handed over to WNYC on Wednesday night by a source. They claimed it was captured inside a county office building. Saudino, who is white, was reportedly in a room with two undersheriffs, the source said.

The comments came as a surprise to Grewal, seeing how the two both started in law enforcement together and have been cordial in the past.

“On a personal level what he said, if it’s true and accurate, is disappointing,” Grewal said, “because I think having worked with him for two years he would know better than most that I have law enforcement credentials.

“And that’s why I got this nomination,” the AG added. “Not simply because of the symbol of my religion.”

Grewal made history when he was appointed to his position, becoming the first Sikh in US history to serve as a state attorney general.

Sheriff Saudino went on to say several things about Lt. Gov. Sheila Oliver, including comments about her sexual orientation.

“Is she gay? Because she’s never been married,” Saudino said.

Oliver sent WNYC a statement in response, saying: “Obviously the sheriff is a relic of an era gone by. Diversity and inclusion should be top priorities for him as a law enforcement official in a county such as Bergen — how ignorant.”

Fire the guy for being a cop, fire him 'cause he's not worth paying, fire him 'cause he's a piece of $#@! but don't fire him for what he said about a protected class....

Phil Murphy demands sheriff resign after alleged racist remarks

https://nypost.com/2018/09/20/phil-m...acist-remarks/

A New Jersey sheriff was reportedly caught on tape making racist statements about black people and state Attorney General Gurbir Grewal, who is Sikh — and now Gov. Phil Murphy is calling for his resignation.

“Without question, the comments made on that recording are appalling, and anyone using racist, homophobic, and hateful language is unfit for public office,” Murphy said in a statement Thursday to WNYC.

“If indeed that is Sheriff Saudino’s voice on the recording, he must resign.”

The tape in question was recorded on Jan. 16 after Murphy’s gubernatorial inauguration.

According to WNYC, Bergen County Sheriff Michael Saudino can be heard making incendiary comments to his colleagues about the governor’s speech.

“He talked about the whole thing — the marijuana, sanctuary state … better criminal justice reform. Christ almighty, in other words let the blacks come in, do whatever the f–k they want, smoke their marijuana, do this do that, and don’t worry about it,” Saudino reportedly seethed. “You know, we’ll tie the hands of cops.”

Describing why he thought Murphy appointed state AG Grewal, Saudino said: “He didn’t do that to help Bergen County he did that because of the turban.”

The recording was handed over to WNYC on Wednesday night by a source. They claimed it was captured inside a county office building. Saudino, who is white, was reportedly in a room with two undersheriffs, the source said.

The comments came as a surprise to Grewal, seeing how the two both started in law enforcement together and have been cordial in the past.

“On a personal level what he said, if it’s true and accurate, is disappointing,” Grewal said, “because I think having worked with him for two years he would know better than most that I have law enforcement credentials.

“And that’s why I got this nomination,” the AG added. “Not simply because of the symbol of my religion.”

Grewal made history when he was appointed to his position, becoming the first Sikh in US history to serve as a state attorney general.

Sheriff Saudino went on to say several things about Lt. Gov. Sheila Oliver, including comments about her sexual orientation.

“Is she gay? Because she’s never been married,” Saudino said.

Oliver sent WNYC a statement in response, saying: “Obviously the sheriff is a relic of an era gone by. Diversity and inclusion should be top priorities for him as a law enforcement official in a county such as Bergen — how ignorant.”
    He's absolutely right about Turban Head.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    He's absolutely right about Turban Head.
    The message being sent is when it comes to talking keep your mouth shut tight.