Thread: FBI unwelcome in Iceland

FBI unwelcome in Iceland

Quote Originally Posted by Carson View Post
    The FBI going to Iceland to investigate,
    out of their jurisdiction,
    is sort of like a janitor at Sears going to Montgomery Wards
    to clean bathrooms.

Translated from Icelandic sources as reported a few days ago. The incident in question occurred in 2011:

http://rixstep.com/1/20130131,00.shtml

FBI Banned from Iceland

Attempted to infiltrate country in hunt for WikiLeaks.

REYKJAVÍK (Rixstep) — FBI agents landed in Reykjavík without prior notification in an attempt to investigate WikiLeaks operations in the country, but Home Secretary Ögmundur Jónasson found out about the visit and forced them to leave the country, with the Icelandic government then issuing a formal protest to US authorities, according to Islandsbloggen.

The hunt for WikiLeaks by the US has on several occasions involved private individuals and companies on Iceland. Authorities in the US have for example succeeded in obtaining account information from Twitter on parliamentarian Birgitta Jónsdóttir. Jónsdóttir today refuses to travel to the US out of fear of being arrested for her connections with WikiLeaks.

Birgitta Jónsdóttir is also one of the people behind a new piece of Icelandic media legislation which will make the country a bastion for freedom of speech and source protection. The law proposal is still a long way from being completed and can still take years before it's ratified by the Icelandic parliament.

This past summer the credit card company Valitor was forced by a court decision to again offer the opportunity to donate to WikiLeaks. Their payment channel had previously been closed off after massive pressure was brought to bear by international credit card companies which in turn was fueled by US efforts to stop the organisation. An appeal of the ruling is expected.

The Icelandic government have already protested against the activities of the US in Reykjavík. It's been found, for example, that the US embassy there is monitoring people who enter the immediate area, and they also attempt to thwart people taking pictures of their building, this despite it being perfectly legal.

A private plane landed at the Reykjavík airport in August 2011. Onboard were FBI agents who'd flown directly to Iceland from the US. Their mission was to investigate WikiLeaks operations in the country as part of a larger investigation of the whistleblower organisation. The FBI agents contacted the head of the national Icelandic police and the head prosecutor in an effort to gain access to all available information on WikiLeaks.

Home Secretary Ögmundur Jónasson learned of the visit and summoned the FBI agents.

They were told that the Icelandic government would not permit a foreign power running their own investigations in the country. Jónasson admonished the FBI agents to return to the US. Foreign minister Össur Skarphéðinsson was given the task, after a special meeting of the cabinet, to formally protest against the behaviour of the US.

The story was revealed in an Icelandic national broadcaster RUV report on 30 January 2013 by WikiLeaks spokesperson Kristinn Hrafnsson. Hrafnsson explains.

'The FBI arrived in private planes and landed at the Reykjavík airport. According to my sources, which are highly reliable and which I have been able to corroborate, news of the visit reached Home Secretary Ögmundur Jónasson who reacted sharply, as

it was unbelievably
    presumptuous
    to come to Iceland that way.

According to my sources,

Jónasson demanded that the FBI agents pack their bags,

get back onboard, and leave the country.
    The matter was then brought before the cabinet
    and a formal protest was issued to US authorities.'

Ögmundur Jónasson corroborates for Morgunblaðið that FBI agents arrived on Iceland and remained in the country a few days. He claims he doesn't know how many there were, but that it was out of the question that a foreign power be allowed to conduct private investigations of Icelandic citizens and their activities in the country:

'I can corroborate this took place in August 2011. Agents from the FBI arrived in Iceland. They'll have to answer for what their plans were. I can also corroborate that they wanted to get the cooperation of the national police and the national prosecutor's office.'
    Read more about surveillance by the US embassy in Reykjavík here.
    Last edited by presence; 02-03-2013 at 10:22 AM.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    uh-oh....here come the drones. Too bad to, Iceland is a kick ass place.

next.

Experts are astonished at how fast Iceland's nuclear weapons program has developed. Outgoing Secretary of Love, Hillary Clinton said breathlessly "They essentially have an ICBM with a nuclear warhead aimed right at America's school children and puppies."
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

"Who would be free, themselves must strike the blow." - Byron

"Who overcomes by force, hath overcome but half his foe." - Milton

The big media outlets are silent on this. They have so many people hypnotized.

Quote Originally Posted by Acala View Post
    Experts are astonished at how fast Iceland's nuclear weapons program has developed. Outgoing Secretary of Love, Hillary Clinton said breathlessly "They essentially have an ICBM with a nuclear warhead aimed right at America's school children and puppies."

lol
    “One may come to the aid of another being unlawfully arrested, just as he may where one is being assaulted, molested, raped or kidnapped. Thus it is not an offense to liberate one from the unlawful custody of an officer, even though he may have submitted to such custody, without resistance.” (Adams v. State, 121 Ga. 16, 48 S.E. 910).

Birgitta Jónsdóttir

I remember her! She's a sweetie!

I think she was a member of Parliament in Iceland when they defaulted and threw out the International Monetary Fund.

I could be sadly mistaken on all counts.

Delivered by Birgitta Jónsdóttir of The Movement in the Icelandic Parliament, October 5, 2009.

Madam President. Dear countrymen. We have a choice to make. We are never faced with just one way, one solution. To assert so is a testimony to incredible tunnel vision on the reality that we live in. We are far from being the first and only nation that has had to deal with crisis and economic collapse. Perhaps what makes our position unique is that we are in an economic war * a war with nations that are using their positions of power to get what they want. Does that mean that all other avenues are closed? Are there perhaps other possibilities than chaining us with the burdens of foreign debt far into the future?

It certainly makes sense to lower our interest payments as soon as possible but is there perhaps another way? Why can’t we look at, or at least discuss, the possible solution of declaring a debt moratorium? The numbers I hear on the national debt are so huge and such a high percentage of our GDP, that according to all the standards we use, we are technically bankrupt. Is it maybe better to face reality before it is too late? Is it maybe better for our nation to take the crunch immediately instead of continuously adding to our foreign debt? Do we want to offer our children the hopeless conditions that many underdeveloped countries have had to offer their future generations? Do we want to be just another country that does not do anything other than pay off interest on foreign debts? What is the worst thing that could happen if we declare debt moratorium? Will the sky fall? Will we starve? Will we never again be able to get loans from the international community? Of course not.

Snip...

The rest of the history is written in the link.

http://www.infowars.com/address-on-i...and-tobin-tax/

Quote Originally Posted by Fluff View Post
    The big media outlets are silent on this. They have so many people hypnotized.

I would go with bought off.

Welcome to the message boards Fluff.

The FBI going to Iceland to investigate, out of their jurisdiction, is sort of like a janitor at Sears going to Montgomery Wards to clean bathrooms. I don't think they are they volunteering their time and expenses?

How can they get away with volunteering our funds?

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    How can they get away with volunteering our funds?
    Ha ha, that's a good one.
    "The Patriarch"

http://en.worldstat.info/Europe/Iceland/Civil_Liberties

Perfect scores in political freedom, freedom of press, civil liberties, nearly 100% internet access, etc.

Iceland or bust?

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Quote Originally Posted by Carson View Post
    The FBI going to Iceland to investigate,
    out of their jurisdiction,
    is sort of like a janitor at Sears going to Montgomery Wards
    to clean bathrooms.
    rep

Quote Originally Posted by presence View Post

Perfect scores in political freedom, freedom of press, civil liberties, nearly 100% internet access, etc.

Iceland or bust?
    I hear that. They also had the sense to declare bankruptcy and fix themselves, rather than delay the inevitable and build up for a tremendous crash like we're doing.

I love iceland. It happens I have blue eyes and am willing to pillage. Let me IN!

(jokes)
    Best of luck in life.

Unauthorized FBI Questioning of Icelandic Teen

Twenty-four hours after the boy came to the embassy, August 24, eight FBI agents came to Iceland to question him. The following day, the Minister of the Interior Ögmundur Jónasson requested that the Icelandic police cease its collaboration with the FBI.

However, after at least five days of questioning in Iceland, the FBI agents continued to question the boy in Washington D.C.; he stated himself that he had accompanied the FBI to the U.S. for that purpose. This has been confirmed to RÚV.

Kristinn Hrafnsson told RÚV that the boy had worked on some projects for WikiLeaks as a volunteer for several months.

It is unclear what information the boy had access to and why U.S. authorities considered them to be of such importance.
    XNN
    "They sell us the president the same way they sell us our clothes and our cars. They sell us every thing from youth to religion the same time they sell us our wars. I want to know who the men in the shadows are. I want to hear somebody asking them why. They can be counted on to tell us who our enemies are but theyre never the ones to fight or to die." - Jackson Browne Lives In The Balance

they allowed their banks to fail and didnt bail them out, now they want actual freedom of press and protection for whistleblowers ?
    what kind of democracy is that ?
    now lets drone them, or spread democracy there.
    i m sure the intelligence community could find some secret connection between 9-11 attack, AQ and Iceland !
    Ron Paul 2012: Liberty, Peace and Prosperity for America !

Ron Paul: Predictions of 24 April 2002 - see how many came true
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGDisyWkIBM

Vote On Principles, Defend Our Constitution, Follow the Path shown by the Founders !

Quote Originally Posted by bolil View Post
    I love iceland. It happens I have blue eyes and am willing to pillage. Let me IN!

(jokes)
    It might help I am part Icelandic... Hmmmm...
    I have seen through it all... the system is against us. ALL OF IT.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by presence View Post

Iceland or bust?
    Hows their immigration policy? XD

Any Sigur Ros fans out there??

54m ImplausibleEndeavors ‏@MindOfMo
    On matters of principle, Iceland is KICKING GLOBAL ASS.

8m ImplausibleEndeavors ‏@MindOfMo
    MORALLY SPEAKING, #Iceland is kicking global ass. #AntiBankster #AntiGoon

Quote Originally Posted by Acala View Post
    It is funny . . . Iceland has no defense of their own - no defense forces of it's own so the pact with the USA.
    ICBMs that are there in Iceland are USA, with Marine guards.
    Reagan of course met Gorbachov there in the mid 1980-s

Keflavik, Iceland - along with Thule in Northern Greenland (Denmark Territory) are part of the Northern defense strategy of
    the USA and NATO and our 12th Space flight squadron.

Peace.

Quote Originally Posted by Tax the Fed View Post
    It is funny . . . Iceland has no defense of their own - no defense forces of it's own so the pact with the USA.
    ICBMs that are there in Iceland are USA, with Marine guards.
    Reagan of course met Gorbachov there in the mid 1980-s

Keflavik, Iceland - along with Thule in Northern Greenland (Denmark Territory) are part of the Northern defense strategy of
    the USA and NATO and our 12th Space flight squadron.

Peace.
    So basically, Iceland is USA's personal bitch but according to this story, they're getting tired of being spanked.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackJack View Post
    So basically, Iceland is USA's personal bitch but according to this story, they're getting tired of being spanked.
    Not at all . . . USA gets a forward air force base on the near top of the world, Iceland gets some defense presence.

But Iceland has always required Americans to leave their hands off everyone, no matter the circumstances.
    If USA doesn't like it, Iceland could always seek a better deal with a Russia or China or Germany.

Iceland kinda has the beatch USA by the balls.

Back in the cold war era, when the terrorists (Russians) blew off bombs to divert military police
    so they could steal stuff . . .
    you COULD NOT under any circumstances even touch the terrorists.

You could only try to detain them and call the Icelandic police
    (it is their country after all).

The Russians . . . if they could run fast . . . could get away.
    And even if detained in some way . . . the Icelandic police would question them and let them go.

Too funny really, in light of the drone attacks on terrorists on foreign soil nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by Shane Harris View Post

Any Sigur Ros fans out there??
    There are now.

Imagine bowing a bass guitar. Kind of like in the olden days.

I suppose that video is the closest I'll ever get there...but one can dream.

On a closer look, maybe it's not a bass guitar but it sounds cool.

Thanks Shane Harris.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    2. Iceland

This tiny Nordic country scores well for women from all walks of life and is often referred to as one of the most feminist places in the world. In 2010, a third of the country's female population flooded the streets for "Women Strike Back," a protest against the gender pay gap and violence against women. Iceland gets top marks for the way it handles issues important to working moms, with excellent parental leave policies and reasonable child care costs. It also has high number of women in higher education and public office -- their Prime Minister, Johanna Siguroardottir, is female, and women hold 46 percent of the country's ministerial positions and make up 43 percent of parliament . Iceland -- and one of the lowest maternal mortality rates in the world, with just 5 out of every 500,000 women dying of childbirth. Unfortunately, women in Iceland are constantly objectified by outsiders -- in spite of its feminist street cred, women in Iceland are often seen as little more than sexual playthings.

http://shine.yahoo.com/healthy-livin...kNhcm91c2VsTWl