Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gary Cohn, White House chief economic adviser, to resign

Quote Originally Posted by Krugminator2 View Post
    Nope. Just a plain vanilla capitalist who likes the peace and prosperity trade brings.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/forecasters-predict-nafta-withdrawal-would-slow-u-s-growth-1510239602

https://www.thebalance.com/nafta-pros-and-cons-3970481
    Even a Free Trade purist should oppose NAFTA, it is globalist managed trade and it pulls America towards subjection to regional and then global government.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    All this talk about prosperity is nauseating. I wonder when was the last time anybody here was prosperous.

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Trump should be able to find another Goldman-Sachs alum to fill the position...

Gary David Cohn (born August 27, 1960) is an American investment banker who serves as the 11th Director of the National Economic Council and is chief economic advisor to President Donald Trump.[1][2] He was formerly the president and chief operating officer of Goldman Sachs from 2006 to 2017. Cohn is a registered Democrat...

Under the Trump administration Cohn has been cited by the press as a supporter of globalism and has been given nicknames such as "Globalist Gary" and "Carbon Tax Cohn".[33] Along with Jared Kushner, Ivanka Trump and Dina Powell they have been referred to by opponents as the "Wall Street-wing" of the Trump administration.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Cohn was the main person in the White House trying to push tax cuts through Congress.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Cohn was the main person in the White House trying to push tax cuts through Congress.
    You mean he pushed things that would benefit Wall St. banksters. Probably made sure that there were plenty of loopholes like carried interest for Hedge fund managers.

Mission accomplished, time to go back to business.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    You mean he pushed things that would benefit Wall St. banksters. Probably made sure that there were plenty of loopholes like carried interest for Hedge fund managers.
    Yep. They got most of the benefits. And we get the bill for the higher debt and interest on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Krugminator2 View Post
    The job of an economist is not to make predictions. His forecast has nothing to do with whether he is a good economist. Recessions are basically unpredictable.

I am not a fan of Kudlow but if you said no recession is coming every year, that is far closer to reality and a far more helpful view than the subsegment of libertarians who screech like blue jays about impending doom every year.

Take Peter Schiff. Who is more accurate? I'll take Kudlow Pollyanna optimism or Peter Schiff's doomsdaying.
    I'll take Ron Paul's optimism over Peter Schiff's doomdaying economically I don't think they would argue over much, but I would take them both over Goldman Sachs. Peter Schiff thinks that Roy Cohn is leaving because he wants to distance himself from Trumps tarrifs. Peter Schiff says that tarrifs are good news for Mexico and Canada.

Gary Cohn leaving, good riddance.

Quote Originally Posted by nikcers View Post
    I'll take Ron Paul's optimism over Peter Schiff's doomdaying economically I don't think they would argue over much, but I would take them both over Goldman Sachs. Peter Schiff thinks that he is leaving because he wants to distance himself from Trumps tarrifs. Peter Schiff says that tarrifs are good news for Mexico and Canada.
    Only if they get exempted from the tariff (which the White House is currently talking about). They are our #1 and #3 steel import sources.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/07/polit...oss/index.html

The whole issue may actually be a simple as next week's election in Pennsylvania which is currently in a statistical tie (in a district Trump won by something like 20 points)

Trump has told aides the tariffs could help Republican prospects in next week's special congressional election in Pennsylvania's 18th District, people familiar with the matter said. Trump is due to campaign for the GOP candidate, Rick Saccone, on Saturday.

The race could be a "tough one" for Republicans, Trump has suggested to friends, some of whom are encouraging him to keep his distance, according to a person familiar with the conversations. Nevertheless, the President believes Saccone still has a chance to win and has made the calculation that his visit on Saturday -- along with his tariffs decision -- could help tip the balance.
    Tariff news conference expected Thursday.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 03-07-2018 at 09:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    As much as libertarianism is the the best form of government, the lp in your sig? Losers. Sorry. It's like they are allergic to winning.
    Well even I couldn't vote for Johnson. But more and more people are realizing the two party system is a fraud. Every once in a while someone comes along who gets people to use their brains. Ross Perot. Ron Paul. Hopefully the next one will run on the LP ticket, then we'll see heads explode.

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Oh FFS. Larry friggin Kudlow is reported to be Cohn's replacement. He'll be nothing more than a media gasbag cheerleader for whatever Wall St wants to do.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12