Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Did repair shop damage my laptop?

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Citizen View Post
    I was thinkng about getting a Mac. One of those all in one units. But I don't know. I've never used one.
    Got one, it's nice but I wouldn't necessarily recommend it. I need those suction cups you use to carry glass to take it apart and clean the inside, which readily clogs up with dust. There are no screws on the exterior. Also, those metal keyboards, if I plug my machine into a (!) grounded socket, and touch the metal of the keyboard, I get shocked. Apple says it's because it's not in a grounded socket but the odd thing is that it only does it WHEN it's grounded.

Apart from that, they are very nice to work with. Mine has worked with no issues for over 6 years. I use a compressor from time to time to blow out the dust, which then reduces CPU temps considerably again. I wish they'd have used the entire rear side of the thing as a large heat-sink. My biggest problem with these things is that they get too hot, specifically the HD, although newer ones probably have SSD's which do not have that problem nor do they need their own fan I think.

I built my own windows/linux pc a while back and buying an imac with similar specs would have cost me about 4 times as much. Now I must say, I'm rather fond of OS-X, it does everything that I want and it does it well. Apart from that, I don't know.
    "I am a bird"

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by luctor-et-emergo View Post
    Got one, it's nice but I wouldn't necessarily recommend it. I need those suction cups you use to carry glass to take it apart and clean the inside, which readily clogs up with dust. There are no screws on the exterior. Also, those metal keyboards, if I plug my machine into a (!) grounded socket, and touch the metal of the keyboard, I get shocked. Apple says it's because it's not in a grounded socket but the odd thing is that it only does it WHEN it's grounded.
    Your house has a faulty ground wiring. Have somebody look at it pronto.

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    Your house has a faulty ground wiring. Have somebody look at it pronto.
    I don't think so. I had the same problem when I was living in University dorm/apartment stuff. During which time, coincidentally, we had a regular maintenance check by an electrician that checked all of the wall-sockets with some kind of digital whizardry box. Everything was fine yet my keyboard gave me shocks. No AC high voltage shocks, more like a gentle pumping-up your lower arm muscles which starts to bother you kind of shock. Besides, touching the ground wire/plate in a socket doesn't give me the same sensation as touching the keyboard. (no sensation, I don't have a meter to check but I'm pretty sure the ground wire is ok)
    Last edited by luctor-et-emergo; 06-22-2016 at 03:47 AM.
    "I am a bird"

A solution:

Spanish equivalent, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by RonPaulIsGreat View Post
    Women get very attached to old technology. Very strange quirk of their kind.

Men upgrade technology far more than they need to - investing in technology they don't really need. Very strange quirk of their kind.

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    Men upgrade technology far more than they need to - investing in technology they don't really need. Very strange quirk of their kind.
    That's a stereotype. It's based on reality, of course, like most stereotypes, but it does not describe us all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

Suzu sounds like it's time to replace that computer and be done with it. 6 years old laptop computer is like from the dinosaurs. I know it's not right but when things start giving out on it, it's a good time to know that it's starting to break, follow?
    No - No - No - No

Quote Originally Posted by asurfaholic View Post
    Suzu sounds like it's time to replace that computer and be done with it. 6 years old laptop computer is like from the dinosaurs. I know it's not right but when things start giving out on it, it's a good time to know that it's starting to break, follow?
    There was nothing wrong with the computer aside from needing new thermal paste and a cleaned fan. Whatever may be wrong now isn't the computer's fault, it was caused by the repair guy, and I'm gonna make him fix it. Then it will be running perfectly -- probably for another 5-6 years. Maybe by then I will be able to afford something else.

I have a laptop that is around 10 years old. I got it from someone who was going to throw it away because it was "broken", but really it was just issues with the OEM hard drive. After replacing that, I could run it for a while, but now the battery won't hold a charge anymore, the original power cord was long gone due to wear and tear. I got one of those Targus adapters that have different connectors, and have been using that. The issue with the battery, a new one is probably around $75 due to being nearly obsolete, I'm not sure I want to replace that. The oldest machine I have is about 25 years old, it still runs. I just keep that one to show to first-year students for historical purposes. It would take 10 or 15 of those to match the power of the iphone they carry around in their pockets.

If you are currently using a single core 32-bit processor for everyday use, it is worth the upgrade.
    “I don’t think that there will be any curtailing of Donald Trump as president,” he said. "He controls the media, he controls the sentiment [and] he controls everybody. He’s the one who will resort to executive orders more so than [President] Obama ever used them." - Ron Paul

Quote Originally Posted by CPUd View Post
    I have a laptop that is around 10 years old. I got it from someone who was going to throw it away because it was "broken", but really it was just issues with the OEM hard drive. After replacing that, I could run it for a while, but now the battery won't hold a charge anymore, the original power cord was long gone due to wear and tear. I got one of those Targus adapters that have different connectors, and have been using that. The issue with the battery, a new one is probably around $75 due to being nearly obsolete, I'm not sure I want to replace that. The oldest machine I have is about 25 years old, it still runs. I just keep that one to show to first-year students for historical purposes. It would take 10 or 15 of those to match the power of the iphone they carry around in their pockets.

If you are currently using a single core 32-bit processor for everyday use, it is worth the upgrade.

What part of "I don't have the money to buy a new one" is losing you guys?

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Sexist!

1.40 gigahertz AMD A6-3400M APU with Radeon HD Graphics
    512 kilobyte primary memory cache
    4096 kilobyte secondary memory cache
    64-bit ready
    Multi-core (4 total)
    Not hyper-threaded

Quote Originally Posted by Suzu View Post
    There was nothing wrong with the computer aside from needing new thermal paste and a cleaned fan. Whatever may be wrong now isn't the computer's fault, it was caused by the repair guy, and I'm gonna make him fix it. Then it will be running perfectly -- probably for another 5-6 years. Maybe by then I will be able to afford something else.
    I'm sorry but you opened your thread with a "I'm thoroughly pissed at computer tech" and then pretty much said you couldn't even figure out how to open the laptop (6 or so screws? Lefty loosey?)

Maybe there was more wrong with your computer than you realized?
    No - No - No - No

Please don't insult my priveledge.
    No - No - No - No

1.40 gigahertz AMD A6-3400M APU with Radeon HD Graphics
    512 kilobyte primary memory cache
    4096 kilobyte secondary memory cache
    64-bit ready
    Multi-core (4 total)
    Not hyper-threaded
    I like the APUs, I have one in my main workstation. They call them APU because the GPU is on the same chip with the CPU.
    “I don’t think that there will be any curtailing of Donald Trump as president,” he said. "He controls the media, he controls the sentiment [and] he controls everybody. He’s the one who will resort to executive orders more so than [President] Obama ever used them." - Ron Paul

Quote Originally Posted by asurfaholic View Post
    I'm sorry but you opened your thread with a "I'm thoroughly pissed at computer tech" and then pretty much said you couldn't even figure out how to open the laptop (6 or so screws? Lefty loosey?)

Maybe there was more wrong with your computer than you realized?
    No there wasn't anything more wrong than I realized. I took out every single visible screw from the case and it still wouldn't open. Apparently there's a trick to it that I don't know. I normally do all my own computer maintenance but this is the first laptop I've ever had and I don't know all the ins and outs yet. I did manage to replace the hard drive without help, so I'm not quite as stupid as you probably think I am. $#@! you, by the way!

No there wasn't anything more wrong than I realized. I took out every single visible screw from the case and it still wouldn't open. Apparently there's a trick to it that I don't know. I normally do all my own computer maintenance but this is the first laptop I've ever had and I don't know all the ins and outs yet. I did manage to replace the hard drive without help, so I'm not quite as stupid as you probably think I am. $#@! you, by the way!
    Sometimes you can search the model number and find photos or videos of people disassembling that model. I've done that a few times, especially helpful for parts that are "snapped" on or off, or something attached with adhesive that requires a bit of force to remove.

There are also maintenance manuals from some manufacturers you can find online.

I didn't say you were stupid. i don't think you are either. Maybe a bit dramatic but whatevs. Hope you get your dinosaur fixed.
    No - No - No - No

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Sometimes you can search the model number and find photos or videos of people disassembling that model. I've done that a few times, especially helpful for parts that are "snapped" on or off, or something attached with adhesive that requires a bit of force to remove.

There are also maintenance manuals from some manufacturers you can find online.
    I did that before I took the machine to the shop. I had no luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Citizen View Post
    if he disconnected the power ribbon (even slightly) when he took the thing apart to clean the fan, that would knock all of the power settings, both in control panel and BIOS, back to default. Which is usually hibernate. I actually had to reset power a long time ago by doing relays on the pins (similar to code, I suppose) where the power ribbon connected. Once those things come unattached, it trips everything.
    Would you mind explaining to me what you mean by "reset power" and "doing relays on the pins"? I am going to speak with the guy and would like to be able to talk about this, but first I need to understand it better. Thanks.

Would you mind explaining to me what you mean by "reset power" and "doing relays on the pins"? I am going to speak with the guy and would like to be able to talk about this, but first I need to understand it better. Thanks.
    Sounds like clearing CMOS. On desktops there are usually the 3 pins near the battery, not all laptops have that. Disconnecting/removing the CMOS battery does the same thing though.

Good luck with that.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Suzu when you do finally retire your computer 5-6 years from now,

please donate it to

National Museum of Computing
    ATT: Kevin Murrell

They will be very interested in studying it, to figure out how it kept running so long
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Lol. I'm sure I am not the only Luddite on this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Lol. I'm sure I am not the only Luddite on this forum.
    Well then, you are not doing your fair share to bring prices down. Obviously we need to tax you.

Well then, you are not doing your fair share to bring prices down. Obviously we need to tax you.

I don't pay no stinkin' taxes.

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    In my experience, men either love tech or hate it. Mr Animal hates it. Mostly because he says it "has a personality and we have too many personalities in this house already" - he says I account for over half of them. Women seem to be tech neutral.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post

I don't pay no stinkin' taxes.
    Reported
    - Kim Kardashian

Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan View Post
    Reported
    I'm sure they already know. That's why I set my alarm at zero-dark twenty-five.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12