Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 13 Reasons Why

13 Reasons Why

I am an idiot. Seriously, I am.

I am a pathological empath and know better than to watch well constructed dramas about things like beautiful teenage girls killing themselves.

But I got home, didn't want to stare at this idiotic computer, and made the huge mistake of turning on the TV which is still active in the wake of wifey's long and horrible recovery from surgery. BTW, Bibi is back at work, in London as we type, and doing far better than I'd dared hope.

13 Reasons Why... huh... well, maybe.

I turn it on, and before I knew it, I just had to know the reasons. I binge watched for 13 1-hour episodes and by the end of it I was so upset I didn't know what to do with myself. Yes yes, it's only a stupid show, but for some reason it got under my skin, something I never allow, but there I was all in a knot over fiction. Ridiculous and stupid, I know, but it happened.

The horridness of the story is precisely why I recommend it. There are SO many issues tacitly raised but never really addressed, that IMO all parents of the generation of stupid snowflakes who are now raising their own children should see it and be as horrified as was I. I don't want to go into the story as I am only how detoxifying from it, three days later, which is a common pattern with me. Took me that long to get over seeing that bank robber take about 100 rounds right before my eyes on fifth avenue back in Dec. 1980. It isn't something one forgets. But I will say that if you don't want heart wrenching physical scenes, avoid the 13th episode where they show her cutting her wrists in the bathtub. I had to strain to keep my big boy underwear out of a knot. It was horrible. I don't suspect too many here need to see it, but only the senseless drones devoid of the least shred of basic sense. They REALLY need to see it and get depressed and want to drown themselves in the damned unflushed toilet for fear for their own progeny.

This post is part of my detoxification. Please pardon me for being so stupid. I will try not to repeat this performance.

Lastly, the thought that any young girl as gorgeous as the actress they chose to play the role of Hannah who killed herself, would think herself unattractive and unworthy of anyone's love just makes me want to sit and cry my life to its end. I can barely imagine how such things can come to pass in the real world, and yet it seems that not only do they, but it is even almost common. God knows I am tired of this world of evil and idiocy, but I cannot help but love young people, my weakness for the girls being most acute. My inner dumbass-liberal wants nothing but happiness, good health, and prosperity for them, and yet so many grow up just like this. I cannot wrap my head around it. It is so insane.

Pardon me once again. I just had to get this off my hairless chest.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post

I am a pathological empath and know better than to watch well constructed dramas about things like beautiful teenage girls killing themselves.

But I got home, didn't want to stare at this idiotic computer, and made the huge mistake of turning on the TV which is still active in the wake of wifey's long and horrible recovery from surgery. BTW, Bibi is back at work, in London as we type, and doing far better than I'd dared hope.

I turn it on, and before I knew it, I just had to know the reasons. I binge watched for 13 1-hour episodes and by the end of it I was so upset I didn't know what to do with myself. Yes yes, it's only a stupid show, but for some reason it got under my skin, something I never allow, but there I was all in a knot over fiction. Ridiculous and stupid, I know, but it happened.

The horridness of the story is precisely why I recommend it. There are SO many issues tacitly raised but never really addressed, that IMO all parents of the generation of stupid snowflakes who are now raising their own children should see it and be as horrified as was I. I don't want to go into the story as I am only how detoxifying from it, three days later, which is a common pattern with me. Took me that long to get over seeing that bank robber take about 100 rounds right before my eyes on fifth avenue back in Dec. 1980. It isn't something one forgets. But I will say that if you don't want heart wrenching physical scenes, avoid the 13th episode where they show her cutting her wrists in the bathtub. I had to strain to keep my big boy underwear out of a knot. It was horrible. I don't suspect too many here need to see it, but only the senseless drones devoid of the least shred of basic sense. They REALLY need to see it and get depressed and want to drown themselves in the damned unflushed toilet for fear for their own progeny.

This post is part of my detoxification. Please pardon me for being so stupid. I will try not to repeat this performance.

Lastly, the thought that any young girl as gorgeous as the actress they chose to play the role of Hannah who killed herself, would think herself unattractive and unworthy of anyone's love just makes me want to sit and cry my life to its end. I can barely imagine how such things can come to pass in the real world, and yet it seems that not only do they, but it is even almost common. God knows I am tired of this world of evil and idiocy, but I cannot help but love young people, my weakness for the girls being most acute. My inner dumbass-liberal wants nothing but happiness, good health, and prosperity for them, and yet so many grow up just like this. I cannot wrap my head around it. It is so insane.

I binge watched it a few weeks ago. As someone who used to be a teenage girl..many things at play...lack of confidence probably number one. Sad that in this day and age peer pressure is still just as bad as ever. That being said..I doubt anyone really thinking of suicide woukd take the time to record all those tapes...that seemed contrived. Most suicidal people are frozen with hopelessness and depression.

This show induces trauma.
    “I don’t think that there will be any curtailing of Donald Trump as president,” he said. "He controls the media, he controls the sentiment [and] he controls everybody. He’s the one who will resort to executive orders more so than [President] Obama ever used them." - Ron Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Carlybee View Post
    I binge watched it a few weeks ago. As someone who used to be a teenage girl..many things at play...lack of confidence probably number one. Sad that in this day and age peer pressure is still just as bad as ever. That being said..I doubt anyone really thinking of suicide woukd take the time to record all those tapes...that seemed contrived. Most suicidal people are frozen with hopelessness and depression.
    The book hints at her being manic depressive, but he show doesn't go into it except her mother says she can be quiet and closed off on one day and singing show tunes on another.
    “I don’t think that there will be any curtailing of Donald Trump as president,” he said. "He controls the media, he controls the sentiment [and] he controls everybody. He’s the one who will resort to executive orders more so than [President] Obama ever used them." - Ron Paul

Quote Originally Posted by CPUd View Post
    This show induces trauma.
    You're damned right about that... at least in my case. I'm REALLY bad with stuff like this. When I say I am pathologically empathic, I am being very literal. It is a disorder, so far as I can see because it puts me in a state against things I have no power to change.

So it's back to vigilance because the older I get, the less good I am at dealing with this crap. I always thought I'd get better at it. WRONG-0.

Same thing happened to me when I saw "Jacob's Ladder". Very dark and disturbing film. I felt ill for three days after seeing it.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

You're damned right about that... at least in my case. I'm REALLY bad with stuff like this. When I say I am pathologically empathic, I am being very literal. It is a disorder, so far as I can see because it puts me in a state against things I have no power to change.

So it's back to vigilance because the older I get, the less good I am at dealing with this crap. I always thought I'd get better at it. WRONG-0.

Same thing happened to me when I saw "Jacob's Ladder". Very dark and disturbing film. I felt ill for three days after seeing it.
    Did you watch the extra episode "Beyond the Reasons"? It helped me out a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlybee View Post
    I binge watched it a few weeks ago. As someone who used to be a teenage girl..many things at play...lack of confidence probably number one. Sad that in this day and age peer pressure is still just as bad as ever.
    You kidding? It's even worse now with cell phones and social media. Loathe as I am to suggest "government" get involved with anything, I could see criminalizing certain forms of invasion of privacy. Take a peeping-tom photo of a nude girl in her bedroom and posting on the network should get someone prison time. It is so disgusting an act that I could readily see caning such people to within an inch of their lives for doing it, especially where minors are concerned. Of course, the bar for proving such cases would have to be high, given that people have been known to get themselves into things that later they regret and then claim they never consented.

What a wholly phucked-up world.

That being said..I doubt anyone really thinking of suicide woukd take the time to record all those tapes...that seemed contrived.
    In most cases, yeah, but the story needed a vehicle and I suppose this was as good as any and perhaps better than most. It allowed all the perpetrators to hear in gory detail the truth as the girl saw it. It also provided the mechanisms for clearly illustrating the filth and stench of each individual's corruption and cowardice. The only characters to come out looking to have any decency were Clay, Tony, and Alex, who blew his own brains out for guilt, which of course made me feel even more awful precisely because he was good enough to feel that horrible about his role in the affair.

Adults kept teens on short leashes in ages past not because they were tyrannical $#@!-wads (though some were just that), but because they were well acquainted with the diminished capacities of most teens. Bodies are almost adult, but the brains and mind are far behind in their development both physically and experientially. It's a terrible time for many kids. God knows I hated high school with a purple passion. The stupidity and meanness of kids that age is mind numbing. And I was a dumbass - I didn't know $#@! about anything, yet all my friends spoke on subjects I didn't even know existed as if they were experts. My whole deal in those days revolved largely around wondering why I'd been born so utterly clueless. Turned out we all were, but some put up a better front of $#@! than others. I will never forget my friends like Kevin who made like they knew everything there was to know about cannabis. All I could do is wonder where in hell everyone got this expertise and why was I do bereft. It made being 16 a very tough deal for me. I should have gone directly to college from 8th grade because I needed to be around adults and not stupid teenagers. But that's the way things went and I somehow survived it.

Most suicidal people are frozen with hopelessness and depression.
    That is certainly true. I cannot say I was ever suicidal, but I was very depressed at times; lonely and isolated even in a room with hundreds of people in it. I'd gone through terrible times as a younger child and witnessed things no kid should ever have to see. I saw many gang-rapes by older students of the younger. They once beat a third-grader until he was catatonic and proceeded to gang-bang him. I was 10 years old, and let me tell you that seeing a 7 or 8 year old child with a 1000-yard stare is something you NEVER forget. I can see him as I type these words and even now, nearly fifty years later, it makes me ill. Add to that the guilt that neither could I have stopped the event nor did I know how to help him afterward beyond taking him to the barracks and sitting with him awhile. It was as if he had left his body. The flesh was there; the soul was in Hong Kong, shopping.

Six years of that and I was a complete wreck by sophomore year when I rejoined the "normal" world. This is probably REALLY lame, but at 15 the only thing I wanted in life was to get married and have children; to be in love. I'm sure there is some psychoanalytical explanation for that sort of pathology, but I am not familiar with it. The day Cheryl McGuinness first smiled at me in biology class, I was GONE. But I was too $#@!-scared to so much as say hello to her, so we can now readily extrapolate what the next three years were like. Very rough and filled with conflict. Add to that the typical stupidities and meanness of kids that age and you can imagine how miserable I was. How I managed to get out alive sometimes confounds me.

Perhaps it's my ability to relate that got me so hooked on this horrible show about horrible people doing horrible things that lead to a horrible ending of a young life. I guess some issues never quite die, eh?

But seriously, parent's should watch it, IMO, and get a clue about how NOT to raise children as they feel the burn at the thought of so beautiful a young life coming to its untimely end for absolutely no valid reason. Making them weak as was the poor character of Hannah is doing them no honor, regardless of the desire to protect. Raising them with no stern sense of right, wrong, and basic decency is an even worse offense. I say slap that boy into the next county if that is what it takes to make it clear that he is being a $#@!ty human being. And then there is the legal climate that puts such parents into prison for having the temerity to try to save their child from becoming a boorish sociopath. What a mess it has all become. But the hippies somehow managed to open the doors to the unqualified criticisms of the judeochristian ethic that went too far, tossing the baby with the bath water.

There is so much misery in a land of such material wealth. Someone explain THAT to me.
    Last edited by osan; 05-01-2017 at 12:28 AM.

Did you watch the extra episode "Beyond the Reasons"? It helped me out a bit.
    Some of it. I will perhaps finish it. It gave some perspective, however, IMO it failed greatly in that it did not address issues such as where in hell are the parents with all this and that of raising weaklings. There needed to be at least one character that at some point laid the uncomfortable truth on the table such as parental culpability, as well as notions of right and wrong and how catastrophically contemporary liberalism has failed everyone. That absence was highly disappointing.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Glad to hear Bibi is recovered and back to work.

Glad to hear your wife is doing well. Shoot your tv.
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    Glad to hear your wife is doing well. Shoot your tv.
    That's pretty much the plan, even if only figuratively.

You're not kidding when you say it's a disorder. My wife being exhibit A (undiagnosed of course). She can sense literally the slightest change in emotion in anyone around her and she feels it at a deep deep level. It's handicapping! She has to box herself in a world of Pride and Prejudice and fairlytales just to keep herself sane.... I can't even talk to her about the real world, the government, wars, national decay.... nope. She is a stay-at-home-mom and homeschools our kids, listening to "Annie" on the record player and singing at the top of her lungs.

If she watched this show, she may very well be ACTUALLY harmed by it.
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.
    -Major General Smedley Butler, USMC,
    Two-Time Congressional Medal of Honor Winner
    Author of, War is a Racket!

It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours.
    - Diogenes of Sinope

Me on the other hand.... I will definitely watch it because I am a cold-hearted cynical bastard who doesn't care (courtesy of the Iraq War and my time in the Infantry)
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.
    -Major General Smedley Butler, USMC,
    Two-Time Congressional Medal of Honor Winner
    Author of, War is a Racket!

It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours.
    - Diogenes of Sinope

You kidding? It's even worse now with cell phones and social media. Loathe as I am to suggest "government" get involved with anything, I could see criminalizing certain forms of invasion of privacy. Take a peeping-tom photo of a nude girl in her bedroom and posting on the network should get someone prison time. It is so disgusting an act that I could readily see caning such people to within an inch of their lives for doing it, especially where minors are concerned. Of course, the bar for proving such cases would have to be high, given that people have been known to get themselves into things that later they regret and then claim they never consented.

What a wholly phucked-up world.

In most cases, yeah, but the story needed a vehicle and I suppose this was as good as any and perhaps better than most. It allowed all the perpetrators to hear in gory detail the truth as the girl saw it. It also provided the mechanisms for clearly illustrating the filth and stench of each individual's corruption and cowardice. The only characters to come out looking to have any decency were Clay, Tony, and Alex, who blew his own brains out for guilt, which of course made me feel even more awful precisely because he was good enough to feel that horrible about his role in the affair.

Adults kept teens on short leashes in ages past not because they were tyrannical $#@!-wads (though some were just that), but because they were well acquainted with the diminished capacities of most teens. Bodies are almost adult, but the brains and mind are far behind in their development both physically and experientially. It's a terrible time for many kids. God knows I hated high school with a purple passion. The stupidity and meanness of kids that age is mind numbing. And I was a dumbass - I didn't know $#@! about anything, yet all my friends spoke on subjects I didn't even know existed as if they were experts. My whole deal in those days revolved largely around wondering why I'd been born so utterly clueless. Turned out we all were, but some put up a better front of $#@! than others. I will never forget my friends like Kevin who made like they knew everything there was to know about cannabis. All I could do is wonder where in hell everyone got this expertise and why was I do bereft. It made being 16 a very tough deal for me. I should have gone directly to college from 8th grade because I needed to be around adults and not stupid teenagers. But that's the way things went and I somehow survived it.

That is certainly true. I cannot say I was ever suicidal, but I was very depressed at times; lonely and isolated even in a room with hundreds of people in it. I'd gone through terrible times as a younger child and witnessed things no kid should ever have to see. I saw many gang-rapes by older students of the younger. They once beat a third-grader until he was catatonic and proceeded to gang-bang him. I was 10 years old, and let me tell you that seeing a 7 or 8 year old child with a 1000-yard stare is something you NEVER forget. I can see him as I type these words and even now, nearly fifty years later, it makes me ill. Add to that the guilt that neither could I have stopped the event nor did I know how to help him afterward beyond taking him to the barracks and sitting with him awhile. It was as if he had left his body. The flesh was there; the soul was in Hong Kong, shopping.

Six years of that and I was a complete wreck by sophomore year when I rejoined the "normal" world. This is probably REALLY lame, but at 15 the only thing I wanted in life was to get married and have children; to be in love. I'm sure there is some psychoanalytical explanation for that sort of pathology, but I am not familiar with it. The day Cheryl McGuinness first smiled at me in biology class, I was GONE. But I was too $#@!-scared to so much as say hello to her, so we can now readily extrapolate what the next three years were like. Very rough and filled with conflict. Add to that the typical stupidities and meanness of kids that age and you can imagine how miserable I was. How I managed to get out alive sometimes confounds me.

Perhaps it's my ability to relate that got me so hooked on this horrible show about horrible people doing horrible things that lead to a horrible ending of a young life. I guess some issues never quite die, eh?

But seriously, parent's should watch it, IMO, and get a clue about how NOT to raise children as they feel the burn at the thought of so beautiful a young life coming to its untimely end for absolutely no valid reason. Making them weak as was the poor character of Hannah is doing them no honor, regardless of the desire to protect. Raising them with no stern sense of right, wrong, and basic decency is an even worse offense. I say slap that boy into the next county if that is what it takes to make it clear that he is being a $#@!ty human being. And then there is the legal climate that puts such parents into prison for having the temerity to try to save their child from becoming a boorish sociopath. What a mess it has all become. But the hippies somehow managed to open the doors to the unqualified criticisms of the judeochristian ethic that went too far, tossing the baby with the bath water.

There is so much misery in a land of such material wealth. Someone explain THAT to me.

So sorry you had to experience all that. I too saw way too many bad things for my age as well as had a suicide in my immediate family and another one years later.

Nope. I can't watch that kind of stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Netflix Is Adding More Trigger Warnings to "13 Reasons Why"

Netflix's popular series 13 Reasons Why has spurred plenty of buzz since its debut in March—but not all of it has been positive. Now, for the first time, Netflix is responding to the criticism the show has received by adding additional trigger warnings to the series.

The show, which is based on the YA novel of the same name by Jay Asher, tells the story of high school teen Hannah Baker, who dies by suicide and then leaves behind a series of tapes for those she blames for her death. Although the show has been praised for raising awareness on topics such as depression, bullying, and slut shaming, the Netflix adaptation of the book has also come under fire for its graphic rape and suicide scenes.

Mental-health experts told SELF that the show dangerously glamorizes and exploits suicide. Officials in New Zealand also criticized the series, and the country now forbids teens from watching the show without a parent present.

Netflix is responding to the backlash by updating and adding new warnings throughout the series, according to BuzzFeed. The show originally displayed warnings before the two episodes that graphically depict rape and suicide (episodes 9 and 13). It also included a 30-minute special after the finale discussing mental health, which encouraged viewers who might need help to visit the resources 13reasonswhy.info. Now the show will also include a warning before the first episode about the entire series, and updates will be made to the two existing warnings. The changes are expected to take effect this week.

Netflix released a statement to BuzzFeed with the news: "There has been a tremendous amount of discussion about our series 13 Reasons Why. While many of our members find the show to be a valuable driver for starting important conversation with their families, we have also heard concern from those who feel the series should carry additional advisories," the statement says. "Moving forward, we will add an additional viewer warning card before the first episode as an extra precaution for those about to start the series and have also strengthened the messaging and resource language in the existing cards for episodes that contain graphic subject matter."

In addition to Netflix's recent response, Selena Gomez (who serves as an executive producer on the show) and one of the show's writers, Nic Sheff, have also spoken out against the criticism. Sheff wrote an essay for Vanity Fair that defends the show's depiction of suicide, writing that "the most irresponsible thing we could've done would have been not to show the death at all." Meanwhile, Gomez recently told the Associated Press, "We wanted to do it justice and, yeah, [the backlash is] gonna come no matter what. It's not an easy subject to talk about, but I'm very fortunate with how it's doing."
    http://www.self.com/story/netflix-ad...ocial_facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/o...420-story.html

My friend Jack, a middle school teacher wrote this piece. His main point is that the message of the series(even if unintended) is that suicide is a perfect vehicle to exact revenge, justice and guilt against those who wronged you in life - exactly the wrong message to convey to vulnerable youth in distress.

The series is structured like a murder mystery — not to reveal who but to reveal why.

That's where the problems come in.

Over the course of the 13 episodes, we viewers learn what some of the other characters had done to Hannah. Some of it is relatively mild and some of it is horrific. But through the tapes and through fellow high schooler Clay Jensen's tenacity, secrets are revealed and people are exposed. The message of the series — intended or not — is that while justice may be elusive in life, it might be achieved in death. Most unsettling is the notion that one's suicide can serve as the catalyst to get the wheels of justice turning.

The series also conveys the idea that if your voice goes unheard in life, your death can serve as an amplifier — an exclamation point if you will — ensuring that your message is heard loud and clear after you're gone.

Anecdotal evidence suggests that there has been a increase in teenage girl suicides since this show debuted, purely word of mouth. It is making news today as they have renewed for another season. I know a person whose teenage daughter recently committed suicide. I had never heard of this show before. Successful female teen suicides had been a relatively rare occurrence, perhaps there is a cause and effect with this show, as opposed to pure coincidence. It's doubtful there are any reliable recent statistics for this though. Some data suggests an increase, so perhaps this show is a reflection of reality, or perhaps it just adds to the pressure.

Other possibilities are social networking which can facilitate bullying and create unreal expectations. Then there is the negative economy with the perception of a bleak future. And we can't ignore the hysteria and doom generated by the leftist media on a daily basis. We have seen the stupid videos on YouTube: "Eeeck, Donald Trump just won, I'm literally going to kill myself"
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Just got renewed for another season.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruehound View Post

My friend Jack, a middle school teacher wrote this piece. His main point is that the message of the series(even if unintended) is that suicide is a perfect vehicle to exact revenge, justice and guilt against those who wronged you in life - exactly the wrong message to convey to vulnerable youth in distress.
    I think the unresolved plotlines are a problem for the younger crowd. They all assume the raper will go to jail, when it is entirely plausible he gets away with it because his family is wealthy. And if her parents continue with the lawsuit, the school could drag it out until her parents go completely broke. Also, all the kids who didn't care that much about her will have forgotten her within a year, and those who did care about her will feel it forever.

I couldn't watch the bathtub scene. I just couldn't. But I'm glad they put it in there.

Quote Originally Posted by JusticeBob View Post
    I couldn't watch the bathtub scene. I just couldn't. But I'm glad they put it in there.
    I watched it, and I paid the price.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruehound View Post

Good article.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

It occurs to me that the on-demand nature of this series may make it a bit different than your average movie. A person could (and they often have) binge watched this for 13 hours straight. This is akin to brainwashing or conditioning. As @osan might testify, it could take a person to a certain mindset, one that is hard to snap out of. Can this result in some form of PTSD? Maybe.
    Last edited by Brian4Liberty; 05-08-2017 at 11:11 PM.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    It occurs to me that the on-demand nature of this series may make it a bit different than your average movie. A person could (and they often have) binge watched this for 13 hours straight. This is akin to brainwashing or conditioning. As @osan might testify, it could take a person to a certain mindset, one that is hard to snap out of. Can this results in some form of PTSD? Maybe.
    All I can say is I was in a hole for three days. You have to hand it to the director and screen writers for crafting effectively.

Netflix put the discussion episode on their youtube channel. It has spoilers:

Quote Originally Posted by JusticeBob View Post
    [Spoiler Alert]

I couldn't watch the girl so damn concerned about hitting a stop sign and that 'when you do something wrong you tell somebody.' As if drunken teens would give a $#@! about calling the police for a minor traffic incident where no one was hurt. Then to just think if there was a traffic sign missing, someone living in the area would just drive past intersection of said minor traffic incident is ridiculous (like maybe it's his damn fault for not paying attention).

The whole thing was reaching and the teen who killed herself seemed like she had a fourteenth reason. She was a melodramatic, unstable, individual where everything apparently 'ruined' her life and future.

I really tried to give the show the benefit of the doubt as so many people recommended it. But, it is like every other bull$#@! attention/award seeking movie/show as of late that has very high reviews but which lacks quite a bit. Maybe I'm getting old but I'll be damned if 'C' movies of the past don't outrank the 8/10 and above on IMDB.
    “The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them.” --George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    In terms of a full spectrum candidate, Rand is leaps and bounds above Trump. I'm not disputing that.
    Who else in public life has called for a pre-emptive strike on North Korea?--Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by kcchiefs6465 View Post
    [Spoiler Alert]

I couldn't watch the girl so damn concerned about hitting a stop sign and that 'when you do something wrong you tell somebody.' As if drunken teens would give a $#@! about calling the police for a minor traffic incident where no one was hurt. Then to just think if there was a traffic sign missing, someone living in the area would just drive past intersection of said minor traffic incident is ridiculous (like maybe it's his damn fault for not paying attention).

The whole thing was reaching and the teen who killed herself seemed like she had a fourteenth reason. She was a melodramatic, unstable, individual where everything apparently 'ruined' her life and future.

I really tried to give the show the benefit of the doubt as so many people recommended it. But, it is like every other bull$#@! attention/award seeking movie/show as of late that has very high reviews but which lacks quite a bit. Maybe I'm getting old but I'll be damned if 'C' movies of the past don't outrank the 8/10 and above on IMDB.
    Did you stop watching after that episode?

Did you stop watching after that episode?
    I think I have one more to watch. I do like three at a time per week, get annoyed, and start watching something else.
    “The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them.” --George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    In terms of a full spectrum candidate, Rand is leaps and bounds above Trump. I'm not disputing that.
    Who else in public life has called for a pre-emptive strike on North Korea?--Donald Trump

Families blame "13 Reasons Why" for girls' suicides
    June 29, 2017

Two California men are urging Netflix to stop streaming "13 Reasons Why" because they say teenage girls in their families committed suicide after watching the series.

The show does carry warnings for its graphic depictions of violence but these suicides raise new questions about whether the labels are enough.

The two men who had never before met in person, are now supporting each other in their grief, CBS News correspondent John Blackstone reports.

"Every day I look at Belle's picture, and I give her a kiss, and I say 'I miss you, baby,'" said John Herndon.

Herndon and Peter Chiu understand what each has lost. Herndon's daughter Bella and Chiu's niece Priscilla, both 15 years old, committed suicide in April--and both had just finished watching the Netflix series "13 Reasons Why."
    More: http://www.cbsnews.com/news/netflix-...gered-suicide/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast