Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Video of fatal Chicago police shooting of 13-year-old Adam Toledo released

Quote Originally Posted by Krugminator2 View Post
    Wasn't an allegation. It is a fact. They have her on video. It is the whole reason the raided her place. And of course, drugs should be legal and these raids shouldn't happen. But they are illegal so don't get involved in them.
    What they had were her ex boyfriend on tape. Regardless the reason they didn't go with the story at first is they didn't have an angle to smear her on at first.

Right. Because it happens at a very tiny rate. You are talking about maybe 5 or 6 instances a year in a country of 340 million.
    That would be all the more reason to trumped the story! How many times is a gay nightclub shot up? How many times did we hear about it? How many times is there a school shooting? How many times do we hear about it? Your "logic" is ass-backwards. Rare events are much more newsworthy. And you have no idea what the rate actually is because you aren't keeping up with it precisely because those events aren't talked about.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Actually I see no people criticize that guy.
    You never heard about the head of the NRA attacking him?

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/d...ilando-castile

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by jmdrake View Post
    You never heard about the head of the NRA attacking him?

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/d...ilando-castile
    When I say no one, I am assuming I am not talking to an autistic who is taking that statement literally. Basically no one. The overwhelming majority of people on the right who thought Castille was wrongly harmed.

Quote Originally Posted by nobody's_hero View Post
    Awe my post got destroyed by the merge.

So the more condensed version:

What exactly should conservatives do about police shootings in liberal metro areas (which seems to be where the vast majority happen)?

My sheriff came out last year and condemned the Minneapolis chokehold incident, saying that no where is it acceptable to use a chokehold on a subdued suspect in any training he has ever received, and following the Taylor incident he made no-knock warrants only executable when signed off on in advance by the top LEO in the county (the sheriff). (probably could have just done away with no-knocks entirely but that is at least a step towards accountability).

Problem is, here in rural-topia, that doesn't do anything to help liberal blacks in liberal urban hellholes. Seems like the burden of addressing the issue is on the black community. A good start would be to stop electing the same people over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over.
    And ^that's the way it should be handled. Needless deaths by police, even if the victims aren't "neurosurgeons", should result in changes in policy. The cop that choked Eric Garner to death in Democrat run New York when a black democrat was POTUS didn't get fired until last year. And yes, Mayor Lightford should be driven from office on a rail.

When I say no one, I am assuming I am not talking to an autistic who is taking that statement literally. Basically no one. The overwhelming majority of people on the right who thought Castille was wrongly harmed.
    Dana Loesch was head of the worlds largest gun rights organization. She has a helluva lot more clout then you. Just because you supported Castille doesn't mean that's the rule and not the exception. You are the one acting mentally deficient here.

Edit: And I don't see where you mentioned Castille. Oh...that's right... you "edited it to make it shorter."
    Last edited by jmdrake; 04-17-2021 at 10:41 AM.

And you have no idea what the rate actually is because you aren't keeping up with it precisely because those events aren't talked about.
    Actually I do know.

14 unarmed blacks were shot in 2019. "the Washington Post’s database of fatal police shootings showed 14 unarmed Black victims and 25 unarmed white victims in 2019." https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2020/07/03/police-black-killings-homicide-rates-race-injustice-column/3235072001/

And of those 14, probably 8 to 10 were justified because it looked like the unarmed person was grabbing a gun or was trying to attack an officer like Michael Brown.

These killings are are a rounding error. Lightning kills 49 people a year. Cops wrongly kill about 5 black people a year. March against the real killers- lightning strikes.
    Last edited by Krugminator2; 04-17-2021 at 10:48 AM.

Edit: And I don't see where you mentioned Castille. Oh...that's right... you "edited it to make it shorter."

Right. I don't know what to tell you. I did. Would be a weird thing to lie about. It is such a rare exception.
    Last edited by Krugminator2; 04-17-2021 at 10:49 AM.

Right. I don't know what to tell you. I did. Would be a weird thing to lie about.
    It wouldn't be any weirder than you calling me "autistic" for pointing my pointing out that one of the best known gun rights advocates in the world attacked Philando Castille over having marijuana while legally carrying a gun. Oh but some anonymous person on RPF defended Castille so that covers it.

And ^that's the way it should be handled. Needless deaths by police, even if the victims aren't "neurosurgeons", should result in changes in policy. The cop that choked Eric Garner to death in Democrat run New York when a black democrat was POTUS didn't get fired until last year. And yes, Mayor Lightford should be driven from office on a rail.
    With all due respect though, it kind of sounded like you were calling out conservatives for not being vocal about these incidents. Which goes back to the initial question, what would you have us do?

I mean, keep in mind that about 5 months ago, predominantly black Democrat urban America voted out the guy who reversed Biden's 3 strikes law and put the guy who supported it in his place. It's not a very rewarding job, being white conservative superman.

The sad truth of the matter is, I can't go into the Bronx or downtown Chicago and as a white conservative guy stand up on a soapbox and tell the black community what we need to do to address the issue.

1) They don't want to hear it from me
    2) The media wouldn't allow me to say it, as I have no standing as an 'ol white dude tryna tell black folks about they business.'
    3) In general, I value my life

I'm sitting here in GA supporting Vernon Jones for governor because: identity politics is a thing, and he can say things as a black guy that I just simply can't say as a white guy, and at least some people who need to hear it will listen.

It's not that conservatives don't care, it's just that no one wants to hear what they have to say. I don't see how that's the fault of conservatives.
    Last edited by nobody's_hero; 04-17-2021 at 10:55 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    This is getting silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    It started silly.
    T.S. Eliot's The Hollow Men

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

We Are Running Out of Time - Mini Me

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm
    I part ways with "libertarianism" when it transitions from ideology grounded in logic into self-defeating autism for the sake of ideological purity.

It wouldn't be any weirder than you calling me "autistic" for pointing my pointing out that one of the best known gun rights advocates in the world attacked Philando Castille over having marijuana while legally carrying a gun. Oh but some anonymous person on RPF defended Castille so that covers it.
    I googled three conservatives just now within a one minute time frame with the name Philando Castille to see what they said.

Ben Shapiro

Erick Erickson wrote an entire column on him
    https://www.macon.com/opinion/opn-co...157551264.html

Jonah Goldberg

https://www.baltimoresun.com/la-oe-g...nap-story.html

Three Google searches not knowing what they said about Castille. Three in support. Three for three. The support for Castille on the right was as close to unanimous as you will ever get on these shootings.
    Last edited by Krugminator2; 04-17-2021 at 10:56 AM.

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Actually I do know.

14 unarmed blacks were shot in 2019. "the Washington Post’s database of fatal police shootings showed 14 unarmed Black victims and 25 unarmed white victims in 2019." https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2020/07/03/police-black-killings-homicide-rates-race-injustice-column/3235072001/

And of those 14, probably 8 to 10 were justified because it looked like the unarmed person was grabbing a gun or was trying to attack an officer like Michael Brown.

These killings are are a rounding error. Lightning kills 49 people a year. Cops wrongly kill about 5 black people a year. March against the real killers- lightning strikes.
    For the record George Floyd wasn't shot so he wouldn't have even shown up in the database you're citing and yet he is the most famous police death ever. Eric Garner also wasn't shot. Kelly Thomas (white) wasn't shot. And who said anything about marching? I haven't. Straw man argument on your part. The black kid who had his hands up shouldn't have been shot. Kelly Thomas shouldn't have been beat to death. The white kid who flashed his high beams at a police officer shouldn't have been pulled over, there shouldn't have been an arrest attempt, he shouldn' t have been tased and he shouldn't have been shot. I suppose in 1775 you'd have called the Boston Massacre a "rounding error" and insisted that there be no American revolution too.

With all due respect though, it kind of sounded like you were calling out conservatives for not being vocal about these incidents. Which goes back to the initial question, what would you have us do?
    With all due respect, I called out phony conservatives and phony liberals. If you aren't phony the shoe doesn't fit so why wear it? I don't put Ron or Rand Paul in the "phony" conservative bunch.

I mean, keep in mind that about 5 months ago, predominantly black Democrat urban America voted out the guy who reversed Biden's 3 strikes law and put the guy who supported it in his place. It's not a very rewarding job, being white conservative superman.
    I put Biden in the "phony liberal" category. But Trump shot himself in the foot when he told Bob Woodward that he downplayed COVID-19 because he didn't want to "cause a panic." There is no way to dress that up.

The sad truth of the matter is, I can't go into the Bronx or downtown Chicago and as a white conservative guy stand up on a soapbox and tell the black community what we need to do to address the issue.
    And I'm not telling you to do that. I'm talking about how everyone is getting manipulated by the phonies. Tell me this. Does it bother you that Kelly Thomas getting beat to death got no national coverage? It bothers me.

1) They don't want to hear it from me
    2) The media wouldn't allow me to say it, as I have no standing as an 'ol white dude tryna tell black folks about they business.'
    3) In general, I value my life
    Do you think the family of Kelly Thomas might have appreciated you coming to his funeral and talking about his death? Mind you, since you don't have a large platform that wouldn't have done much. But..what about Sean Hannity? Rush Limbaugh? Tucker Carlson? Ben Shapiro? And I don't mean just mentioning him once. I mean repeating his name on air over and over again until it sinks in to the general public what happened to him.

I'm sitting here in GA supporting Vernon Jones for governor because: identity politics is a thing, and he can say things as a black guy that I just simply can't say as a white guy, and at least some people who need to hear it will listen.
    That's good. Keep us updated on how that's going. I may donate based on your recommendation if it's a winnable race. (Seriously).

It's not that conservatives don't care, it's just that no one wants to hear what they have to say. I don't see how that's the fault of conservatives.
    It's not the fault of conservatives. It's the fault of the phonies on both sides who ignore cases of police brutality that don't fit the narrative.

For the record George Floyd wasn't shot so he wouldn't have even shown up in the database you're citing and yet he is the most famous police death ever. Eric Garner also wasn't shot. Kelly Thomas (white) wasn't shot. And who said anything about marching? I haven't. Straw man argument on your part. The black kid who had his hands up shouldn't have been shot. Kelly Thomas shouldn't have been beat to death. The white kid who flashed his high beams at a police officer shouldn't have been pulled over, there shouldn't have been an arrest attempt, he shouldn' t have been tased and he shouldn't have been shot. I suppose in 1775 you'd have called the Boston Massacre a "rounding error" and insisted that there be no American revolution too.
    Those are two instances and most people police killings aren't from being killed by asphyxiation.

George Floyd was a lifelong scumbag who would be back in prison if he didn't get killed. He put a gun to a pregnant woman's stomach.

"Garner had been arrested by the NYPD more than 30 times since 1980 on charges such as assault, resisting arrest, and grand larceny." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killing_of_Eric_Garner And he died because he was a 500 pound slob.

The point isn't that cops don't abuse power. Of course they do. But the cops aren't looking to kill people. Almost all of these killings are avoidable if you follow the law and behave like a civilized human. George Floyd and Eric Garner weren't fighting for freedom and standing up to tyranny. They were scumbags who made a living violating the rights of others.

With all due respect, I called out phony conservatives and phony liberals. If you aren't phony the shoe doesn't fit so why wear it? I don't put Ron or Rand Paul in the "phony" conservative bunch.
    Catch-22, if they do talk about it, they're still accused of being phony (maybe not by you or me).

There needs to be blowback in the black community directed not at Wendy's and shoe stores, but at the people responsible. But again, I can't get involved. A white dude will only taint the spirit of the rebellion.
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    This is getting silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    It started silly.
    T.S. Eliot's The Hollow Men

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

We Are Running Out of Time - Mini Me

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm
    I part ways with "libertarianism" when it transitions from ideology grounded in logic into self-defeating autism for the sake of ideological purity.

I googled three conservatives just now within a one minute time frame with the name Philando Castille to see what they said.

Ben Shapiro

Erick Erickson wrote an entire column on him
    https://www.macon.com/opinion/opn-co...157551264.html

Jonah Goldberg

https://www.baltimoresun.com/la-oe-g...nap-story.html

Three Google searches not knowing what they said about Castille. Three in support. Three for three. The support for Castille on the right was as close to unanimous as you will ever get on these shootings.
    Your Ben Shapiro tweet didn't come through. But this article shows he ultimately didn't support Castille.

https://www.nationalreview.com/2016/...s-not-helpful/

I can't read this article by Shapiro because it's behind a paywall, but the part I can read doesn't seem supportive either.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/alton...nt-ben-shapiro

The Blaze made a big deal that "even the black jurors" were in favor of acquital of Castile's killer.

https://www.theblaze.com/news/2017/0...ing-cop-report

What likely happened is there was some initial support for Castille among some well know conservative talking heads that dried up after the "refer madness" argument came out.

I see no mention of marijuana in the Erick Erickson article you linked. It could have been that he wasn't bothered by that or it could have been that this article was written before that angle came out. I'm thinking it's the latter. I can't read the Jonah Goldberg article because of the paywall.

Catch-22, if they do talk about it, they're still accused of being phony (maybe not by you or me).

There needs to be blowback in the black community directed not at Wendy's and shoe stores, but at the people responsible. But again, I can't get involved. A white dude will only taint the spirit of the rebellion.
    Okay. But I can't control who other people call or don't call phony. Again my point is about the false narrative that has people thinking they shouldn't worry about police brutality because it can't happen to them or their loved ones. There should be blowback in the black and the white community directed at the people responsible! Again, Kelly Thomas was white.

Your Ben Shapiro tweet didn't come through. But this article shows he ultimately didn't support Castille.

https://www.nationalreview.com/2016/...s-not-helpful/
    He mentions Castille once and is saying Castille was wrongly killed and was an isolated incident. He is saying the same thing I am.

Naturally, America’s group-therapy leader, President Obama, led the way. After two videos surrounding police shootings went viral — one showing the shooting of Alton Sterling in Louisiana, the second, the aftermath of the shooting of Philando Castile in Minnesota — Obama leapt to the airwaves to declare, without evidence, that such shootings were not merely “isolated incidents.

Those are two instances and most people police killings aren't from being killed by asphyxiation.
    And what are your stats, since you supposedly keep up with this, on how many are killed by other methods? Hint, Google "spit sock" deaths.

"Garner had been arrested by the NYPD more than 30 times since 1980 on charges such as assault, resisting arrest, and grand larceny." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killing_of_Eric_Garner And he died because he was a 500 pound slob.
    Not according to the autopsy report which showed a partial crushed larnyx.

The point isn't that cops don't abuse power. Of course they do. But the cops aren't looking to kill people. Almost all of these killings are avoidable if you follow the law and behave like a civilized human. George Floyd and Eric Garner weren't fighting for freedom and standing up to tyranny. They were scumbags who made a living violating the rights of others.
    The cops that beat Kelly Thomas to death said, right before they started beating him "We're going to fvck you up." What would you call that exactly? Oh yeah...and they got off.

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    He mentions Castille once and is saying Castille was wrongly killed and was an isolated incident. He is saying the same thing I am.
    And where did Ben Shapiro say that it was wrong for the officer to be acquitted in that case?

And where did Ben Shapiro say that it was wrong for the officer to be acquitted in that case?

Umm... there's this quote. Seems pretty clear.

"No clue from this tape how the cop wasn't convicted"

Umm... there's this quote. Seems pretty clear.

"No clue from this tape how the cop wasn't convicted"

That quote must be from the Tweet you posted that didn't come through as it's not in the National Review article that talks about the "isolated incident." Most of Shapiro's outrage seems aimed at Obama for daring to be outraged about what happened to Castile.

Edit: And in the Nationl Review article, Shapiro, while claiming to want to see somebody "do something", has nothing to say about what should be done about police brutality. It's all "Black people should commit less crimes." Okay. That's why when I talk about police brutality I also talk about when it hapens to white people! Kelly Thomas. The white kid (I can't remember his name) who flashed his high beams at a cop and ended up dead. The white guy who was playing video games and the police shot him because they thought his Wii controller was a gun. The white guy who's neighbor SWATTED because he didn't like how loud his video game was and he answered the door holding a gun, then immediately put it down when he saw it was the police and was shot in the back by another officer. It's a long list. There's a whole thread on this.
    Last edited by jmdrake; 04-17-2021 at 11:49 AM.

T the National Review article that talks about the "isolated incident." Most of Shapiro's outrage seems aimed at Obama for daring to be outraged about what happened to Castile.
    1. It was an isolated incident. Saying as such implies Shapiro believes the police were in the wrong, as opposed to more common incidents when criminals are justifiable shot by police.

2. His criticism of Obama had nothing to do with Obama being outraged at what happened to Castile. See point 1.

1. It was an isolated incident. Saying as such implies Shapiro believes the police were in the wrong, as opposed to more common incidents when criminals are justifiable shot by police.

2. His criticism of Obama had nothing to do with Obama being outraged at what happened to Castile. See point 1.
    You must have missed this as I edited.

Edit: And in the Nationl Review article, Shapiro, while claiming to want to see somebody "do something", has nothing to say about what should be done about police brutality. It's all "Black people should commit less crimes." Okay. That's why when I talk about police brutality I also talk about when it hapens to white people! Kelly Thomas. The white kid (I can't remember his name) who flashed his high beams at a cop and ended up dead. The white guy who was playing video games and the police shot him because they thought his Wii controller was a gun. The white guy who's neighbor SWATTED because he didn't like how loud his video game was and he answered the door holding a gun, then immediately put it down when he saw it was the police and was shot in the back by another officer. It's a long list. There's a whole thread on this.

As for your two points, the "it's an isolated incident" is the reason he was bothered by Obama's outrage. Obama shouldn't have been making such a fuss over an "isolated incident" that's a "rounding error." Yeah...Ben Shapiro would have been against the American Revolution too. Boston Massacre? Nothing to see here. Isolated incident.

From quick browse of report, appears to be unjustified actions by cops. But did not see this story in top headlines in media news.

On a political note, current POTUS seems to be quite hands-off/mostly quiet on such matters (other than customary gun control calls) unlike recent Prez Trump & Obama who tended to make public statements when similar incidences occured during their respective terms. Prez Trump had issued multiple public statements on policing related vioelnce including praise for George Floyd and supported justice for Floyd cause. Biden so far appears to be nothing like Barack 'if I had a son' Obama on such human rights/civil rights issues.

"Every Time I Think About Those Kids It Gets Me Mad"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12