Thread: Russian Flyby of USS Donald Cook in Baltic Sea Alarms Experts

Russian Flyby of USS Donald Cook in Baltic Sea Alarms Experts

This made the news on all of the local affiliates of the networks. Local news is probably more involved in propaganda than the cable news networks.

The story went something like this:

"OMG! OMG! Russian jets attacking US ships! Unheard of! Russia trying to start something! Putin evil! Turkey shot down a Russian jet and then Putin backed off..."

Russian Flyby of USS Donald Cook in Baltic Sea Alarms Experts

by Alexander Smith

A series of extremely low passes by two Russian jets over a U.S. destroyer this week was a dangerous example of brinkmanship by Moscow in what has become an increasingly worrying trend, according to Western analysts.

With the jets coming as close as 30 feet, just one mechanical failure, a pilot error, or a patch of freak turbulence could have caused catastrophe — both for the American sailors and the fragile geopolitical situation, experts warned.

Here's a look at the potential fallout.

What happened?

Two Russian Sukhoi Su-24 fighter jets flew at extremely low altitude over the American guided-missile destroyer USS Donald Cook in the international waters of the Baltic Sea.

Monday's and Tuesday's incidents happened around 70 miles from the Russian exclave of Kaliningrad, which features a city of around 500,000 people near a key military base.

Known as "buzzing" the technique of low flybys was a staple of the Cold War, but this week's maneuvers were so close that even the experts were startled.

"Certainly this is the closest I have seen on video," Keir Giles, an associate fellow at the London-based Chatham House think tank, told NBC News on Thursday. "One of the jets was actually lower than the ship's superstructure."

The ensuing U.S. outcry was dismissed by Russia later on Thursday, with an official saying that "we don't understand such a painful reaction from our American colleagues."

How dangerous was it?

The jets came close enough for the U.S. sailors to see that the aircraft appeared to be unarmed. Nevertheless, flying so close to a warship was still extremely risky.

"Say they had an engine failure or a hydraulic failure, and the Russian jet had barreled into the side of the destroyer, you would have had multiple U.S. Navy casualties and possibly even the loss of a ship," said Justin Bronk, a research fellow at the Royal United Services Institute, a British security-research organization.

"That's the sort of thing that starts wars," he added.

Accidents can happen even with modern military technology. But the Russian-built Su-24 came into production more than 40 years ago and the last one rolled off the production line in 1993.

Bronk estimates that the jet came as close as 30 feet to the destroyer, an altitude that was "undeniably extremely aggressive."

For comparison, Federal Aviation Administration regulations say that planes should not fly closer than 500 feet to "any person, vessel, vehicle, or structure" except when landing or taking off.

"The military pushes this closer," according to Bronk, "But you see just how close they got and you think, 'Oh my gosh, that's outrageous.'"

Has it happened before?

The U.S., Russia, and their allies had several similar run-ins during the Cold War.

While relations improved following the fall of the Berlin Wall, a return to hostilities sparked by 2014's political upheaval in Ukraine saw a corresponding spike in military encounters.

A report by the European Leadership Network in Nov. 2014 recorded 40 "sensitive incidents" in the eight months after Ukraine erupted — including Russia conducting mock bombing on the U.S. off the Canadian coast and forcing a Boeing 737 airliner to take evasive action after it came within 300 feet of a spy plane.

"This is an escalating trend," according to Chatham House's Giles. "There have been lots of provocative actions by Russian aircraft, but they have been getting more provocative, more dangerous, and more in breach of safety regulations at sea."
    What could the consequences be?

Although it is highly unlikely that either side would open fire, there is scope for the situation to spiral out of control.

Like many of Russia's hair-raising maneuvers, the jets this week appeared to be in breach of the Agreement on the Prevention of Incidents On and Over the High Seas, signed in 1972 by the United States and the Soviet Union.
    Does the U.S. bear any responsibility?

The USS Donald Cook was stationed outside Kaliningrad, a Russian exclave sandwiched between NATO members Lithuania and Poland where Moscow deployed state-of-the art Iskander missiles last year.

Its proximity was no coincidence, according to Bronk, who said it was "just as calculated by the Americans" as the Russian jet flyby — albeit far less immediately dangerous.

"The Russians do not like the Aegis system anywhere near its airbase," he said, referring to a combat system carried by the Donald Cook that its manufacturer describes as the "world's most advanced combat system."

This all comes against the backdrop of Russian President Vladmir Putin being unhappy about what he sees as a gradual creep by NATO, which in 2004 enveloped the former Soviet republics of Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania.

Not everyone agrees.

"The Russians like to equate NATO's defensive maneuvers on a tiny scale to their own enormous preparations for conflict," Giles said. "It's completely disingenuous."
    More: http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/ru...xperts-n555921
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    "Say they had an engine failure or a hydraulic failure, and the Russian jet had barreled into the side of the destroyer, you would have had multiple U.S. Navy casualties and possibly even the loss of a ship,"
    Why isn't this moron spouting the same rhetoric in regard to local and DEA copters used in drug raids?

What about the radar planes used to ticket motorists?

инакомыслящий and Гусь?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

"Say they had an engine failure or a hydraulic failure, and the Russian jet had barreled into the side of the destroyer, you would have had multiple U.S. Navy casualties and possibly even the loss of a ship,"
    Damn, that guy is not an optimist.
    "I am a bird"

Well boys, I reckon this is it. Nuclear combat, toe to toe with the russkies.

Quote Originally Posted by unconsious767 View Post
    Well boys, I reckon this is it. Nuclear combat, toe to toe with the russkies.
    Bring it. I've got a closet full of "back-to-back-to-back undefeated world war champs" hats and tshirts I wanna wear
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Russian Planes would be expected along the RUSSIAN COAST.

Why was a US warship threatening the Russian coastline?
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    Russian Planes would be expected along the RUSSIAN COAST.

Why was a US warship threatening the Russian coastline?
    Yeah, those Russian planes really had to go a long way to do that flyby. They may have had to deviate from their landing or take-off path by a couple of miles.

Having the most advanced missile ship in the world stationed outside a coastal airbase is threatening? /s

Our Orwellian media at it again. The Ministry of Truth speaks. Up is down, down is up. 2+2=5. No doubt the ignorant masses see those brief news reports about "Russian aggression" and say "those damn Ruskies, I'm gonna go vote for McCain and we can go to war with Russia!"
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Let's cut the crap, stop all our secret arming of jihads & work with the Ruskkies in Raqqa

World is a awfully big place & we will be better off, sharing it a little going forward.

"Let it not be said that we did nothing." - Dr. Ron Paul. "Stand up for what you believe in, even if you are standing alone." - Sophie Magdalena Scholl
    "War is the health of the State." - Randolph Bourne "Freedom is the answer. ... Now, what's the question?" - Ernie Hancock.

Heard a few minutes of hourly network news on the radio. They are pushing this story hard. "Outrageous Russian aggression!" The American Bolsheviks are drooling for their Reconquista of Russia. Somewhere Bill Kristol is grinning.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    инакомыслящий and Гусь?
    Reported.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Heard a few minutes of hourly network news on the radio. They are pushing this story hard. "Outrageous Russian aggression!" The American Bolsheviks are drooling for their Reconquista of Russia. Somewhere Bill Kristol is grinning.
    I hate amerikan bolsheviks .

Did we at least blow up the russian jet?
    - Kim Kardashian

Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan View Post
    It was unarmed, so that would have been a microagression, and we can't do that.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Look up the USS Donald Cook for past news of fly-bys. They are still mad about the one a few years ago.

I know they were hoping the Russians would do what they did last time, so they could study it. They are mad the Russians DIDN'T disable their ship this time.

The rumor from 2014:

http://www.veteranstoday.com/2014/11...s-donald-duck/
    Last edited by UWDude; 04-14-2016 at 11:33 PM.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    It was unarmed, so that would have been a microagression, and we can't do that.
    Unarmed my ass. It was carrying sensors and/or jammers.
    - Kim Kardashian

If you give into your fears, they have won.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

TheTexan's ass is carrying sensors and/or jammers?
    Last edited by AZJoe; 04-15-2016 at 07:14 AM.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing." - Dr. Ron Paul. "Stand up for what you believe in, even if you are standing alone." - Sophie Magdalena Scholl
    "War is the health of the State." - Randolph Bourne "Freedom is the answer. ... Now, what's the question?" - Ernie Hancock.

It was carrying sensors and/or jammers.
    Ohh Wow. Russian plan off Russian coast is armed with sensors and/or jammers- unlike the U.S. Warship that Washington parked off the Russian Coast., the USS Donald is armed with guided missiles.

Why in the world is Washington sending guided missiles 7000 miles from the US coast and 70 miles from the Russian Coast? It is pure provocation, a very threatening and aggressive act by Washington imbeciles.

Imagine if Russia decided to park guided missiles 70 miles off the coast of Baltimore. Washington would have done a lot more than flybys with planes carrying no missiles or bombs.

If you are going to be foolhardy enough to park guided missiles off another country's coast and think that is not aggressive and provocative, then you deserve a lot more than mere flybys. What idiots!

Quote Originally Posted by UWDude View Post
    I wonder if they replaced the crew?
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

The scary part is that the local news-readers, aka propaganda mouthpieces, talked about how Turkey taught those evil Russkies a lesson by shooting down one of their jets recently. The obvious implication is that we should do the same.

From their perspective us even being there is like Russian Destroyer Moskva
    sailing up the Saint Lawrence to Lake Ontario

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Quote Originally Posted by presence View Post

From their perspective us even being there is like Russian Destroyer Moskva
    sailing up the Saint Lawrence to Lake Ontario
    Looks like its using older models of missile launchers? Those exterior missile tubes are rather old and phased out. Most missile launched tubes are vertical and embedded into the deck of the ship.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by alucard13mm View Post
    Looks like its using older cheaper models of missile launchers? Those exterior missile tubes are rather old inexpensive and phased out. Most missile launched tubes are vertical and embedded into the deck of the ship.
    FTFY
    In New Zealand:
    The Coastguard is a Charity
    Air Traffic Control is a private company run on user fees
    The DMV is a private non-profit
    Rescue helicopters and ambulances are operated by charities and are plastered with corporate logos
    The agriculture industry has zero subsidies
    5% of the national vote, gets you 5 seats in Parliament
    A tax return has 4 fields
    Business licenses aren't a thing
    Prostitution is legal
    We have a constitutional right to refuse any type of medical care

Looks like its using older models of missile launchers? Those exterior missile tubes are rather old and phased out. Most missile launched tubes are vertical and embedded into the deck of the ship.
    Laid down:1976
    Launched:1979
    Commissioned:30 January 1983
    Decommissioned: September 1990
    Recommissioned: April 2000
    Old boat but hey, the damn thing floats.
    It has a load of missiles and other weapons.

The destroyer from the OP is scared a jet with a hydraulic failure might sink it if the jet crashed into it... Surely a heavily armed missile cruiser, can be a threat as well. Surely it wouldn't matter too much what age and shape a tube is when it fires a deadly missile at you ?
    "I am a bird"

They look to be opened manually....

Maybe such hardware is wise in the face of an EMP?

Not so long ago missiles were targeted sans computers/IC's........Are there any in the US capable of doing so in today's technowarfare model?

This new "incident" really set their panties on fire in the establishment media. They fear-mongered this story to death yesterday:

Russian Jet Does a Barrel Roll Over U.S. Recon Plane in the Baltic

There was a great deal of playing chicken during the Cold War. It was occasionally fatal.
    Out of every one hundred men they send us, ten should not even be here. Eighty will do nothing but serve as targets for the enemy. Nine are real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, upon them depends our success in battle. But one, ah the one, he is a real warrior, and he will bring the others back from battle alive.

Duty is the most sublime word in the English language. Do your duty in all things. You can not do more than your duty. You should never wish to do less than your duty.