Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Border Wall will be Funded by 20 percent Import Tax on Mexican Goods WAPO

Angry Border Wall will be Funded by 20 percent Import Tax on Mexican Goods WAPO

Some may think that this is how Mexico will pay for the wall, but they won't. US consumers will pick up the tab with taxation through inflation. Mexico will not eat the tax, the US consumer will. Typical liberal thinking.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Trade leads to peace, and tariffs are an attack on trade.

Gulag Chief:
    "Article 58-1a, twenty five years... What did you get it for?"
    Gulag Prisoner: "For nothing at all."
    Gulag Chief: "You're lying... The sentence for nothing at all is 10 years"

Now that it's close to reality the wall thing is sounding pretty ridiculous, isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Madison320 View Post
    Now that it's close to reality the wall thing is sounding pretty ridiculous, isn't it?
    Don't forget about that big beautiful door in that wall.

This is not Mexico paying this is US paying via increased cost for goods from Mexico. I think a border tax entry fee would be better. Any person entering this country from Mexico has to pay a fee.
    Last edited by Schifference; 01-26-2017 at 03:47 PM.

^^^.

Government planners are all the same no matter which label they wear.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

Lmao
    Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just and that his justice cannot sleep forever. Thomas Jefferson

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    In before, "What he really meant was...."
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

I think Trump should mandate that all Mexican's in Mexico need to be fitted with a non-removable electric shock collar and then he can just put up an invisible fence.

Make protectionism great again!
    Stop believing stupid things

I think Mexico supplies lots of winter fruits and vegetables. I am buying mangos and avocados for $.68 each.

Trump can send Baghdad Sean Bob out so say whatever he bids him to. The problem is that Trump as potus doesn't set the tarrifs on imports. Has everyone forgotten how our government works?

It's a 2000 mile border. Trump claims his big beautiful wall will be 50 feet high. This thing would be one of the largest engineering projects if not the largest in US history. The amount of concrete involved in that is staggering. I'm not sure we even have the capacity.

For all of us east coast people, this thing would stretch from the canadian broder to key west. It would take a day and half to drive the length of it.

Trump's wall talk is utter bull$#@!. It is in practice impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by Schifference View Post
    This is not Mexico paying this is US paying via increased cost for goods from Mexico. I think a border tax entry fee would be better. Any person entering this country from Mexico has to pay a fee.
    According to a website I found there's about 34 million crossings each year (both ways). If you charge $10 a crossing, that's about 300 million dollars a year (some will stop crossing if they have to pay). Government estimates are 10 billion so it will cost at least 50 billion. If my math is correct 300 million/50 billion is only .6 % of the cost of the wall in one year. That probably won't even cover the interest or the maintenance.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Maybe they should build it so that some type of patrol vehicle can drive on top of it.

Quote Originally Posted by 69360 View Post
    It's a 2000 mile border. Trump claims his big beautiful wall will be 50 feet high. This thing would be one of the largest engineering projects if not the largest in US history. The amount of concrete involved in that is staggering. I'm not sure we even have the capacity.

For all of us east coast people, this thing would stretch from the canadian broder to key west. It would take a day and half to drive the length of it.

Trump's wall talk is utter bull$#@!. It is in practice impossible.
    I wonder what's the next biggest wall in comparison?

According to a website I found there's about 34 million crossings each year (both ways). If you charge $10 a crossing, that's about 300 million dollars a year (some will stop crossing if they have to pay). Government estimates are 10 billion so it will cost at least 50 billion. If my math is correct 300 million/50 billion is only .6 % of the cost of the wall in one year. That probably won't even cover the interest or the maintenance.
    Ten dollars is not enough. It costs more than that to cross a bridge in New York. Costs more than $10 to drive a few miles on a toll highway. Could charge $100. If people don't want to pay stay in Mexico.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    In before, "What he really meant was...."
    Lol.

I think Trump should mandate that all Mexican's in Mexico need to be fitted with a non-removable electric shock collar and then he can just put up an invisible fence.
    Only if Mexicans pay for it!

I think Mexico supplies lots of winter fruits and vegetables. I am buying mangos and avocados for $.68 each.
    I buy nothing from Mexico , except beer .
    Do something Danke

I wonder what's the next biggest wall in comparison?
    Great wall of China I would think. It's like 3000 something.

Time to pressure Congress not to pass this.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Ten dollars is not enough. It costs more than that to cross a bridge in New York. Costs more than $10 to drive a few miles on a toll highway. Could charge $100. If people don't want to pay stay in Mexico.
    It's nowhere near $10 to drive a few miles on a toll road. More like 10 cents. But if you charge $100 a person the number of people crossing goes down and the revenue stays about constant. The point is that it's not even remotely close to paying for the wall.

Let me try some more math. 2,000 miles X 5,280 = About 10 million feet of fence. You can get really nice privacy fence installed for about $20 a foot so that's 200 million to build a privacy fence on the border. You could have that paid for in less than a year.

But will it be visible from outer space?

Quote Originally Posted by Superfluous Man View Post
    Time to pressure Congress not to pass this.
    I am interested in seeing a bill of how they intend to pay for it .
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by georgiaboy View Post
    But will it be visible from outer space?
    Should be , yes .
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by 69360 View Post
    Great wall of China I would think. It's like 3000 something.
    Hadrians Wall was 73 miles with a Fort every five . Ten feet wide , 20 feet tall . Took 6 years . I think the entire length of the China wall at one time would have been around 13000 miles .
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    Hadrians Wall was 73 miles with a Fort every five . Ten feet wide , 20 feet tall . Took 6 years . I think the entire length of the China wall at one time would have been around 13000 miles .
    I propose a wall. 1,999.999999 miles is a big beautiful door.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast